PRETTY MAIDS - Motherland

zacharyamelie

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of good reviews out there for this one. Anyone here heard it yet? I should be getting my copy on Saturday.

I've got an advance copy nd gave it 10/10 in my album review.

Wow! Praise indeed!

I read a couple of reviews that said it has too many ballads, so that was enough for me to steer clear...

Lots of good reviews out there for this one. Anyone here heard it yet? I should be getting my copy on Saturday.

I've got an advance copy nd gave it 10/10 in my album review.

I listened to it on Spotify earlier - excellent stuff and amazing production.

I was looking for this thread but in the Hard Rock section. Oh well...I'm not going to listen either until I get my copy...The video sounds great though.

Great cd,and thanx for the pointers guys,i'd never heard "spooked" for one reason or another but bought it based on your views....love it now :)

Brilliant release IMO. Maybe not as great as Pandemonium. A few thoughts after listening to it number of spins.

The keyboards are brilliantly arranged and played. Best I've heard for along time in this type of music.

The production is simply amazing.

It's hard to believe that Mr Atkins is an middle aged man this days.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Brilliant release IMO. Maybe not as great as Pandemonium. A few thoughts after listening to it number of spins.

The keyboards are brilliantly arranged and played. Best I've heard for along time in this type of music.

The production is simply amazing.

It's hard to believe that Mr Atkins is an middle aged man this days.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Pretty much agree with all of that. Maybe just an inch short of 'Pandemoniums' brilliance, but it's a damned fine album. Fave track for me at the moment is 'Wasted'..love that little keyboard hook throughout the song.

Not really sure about this, based on two spins, this is a let down compared to their previous effort, coz maybe even though there are lots of great riffs around, the songs didn't click much with me, some are just hookless and quite average. 4 greatest songs here are 'Sad To See You Suffer' - very smooth commercial tune; 'Motherland' - splendid riffs and also fantastic chorus; 'Bullet For You' - is a midtempo winner; and 'Who What Where When Why', strange pick of title but very good song.

Other songs are bouncing between 6.75 - 7.75, such as the first track, 'Mother of All Lies', the chorus is great but the verse is patchier; 'The Iceman' has great riffs but song is only okay; 'To Fool A Nation' and 'Why So Serious' are the worst tracks here IMHO, very average stuff and passable. Need to listen more to 'Wasted' and 'I See Ghosts', I hear potential but for now, it's only around 7.5. Production is stellar and musicianship is definitely great, but replay value is probably around 7/10 and overall this is below 80% and I'm expecting at least 85% based on the very strong 'Pandemonium' release.

74%

Wow mate to each their own but I love this album, especially Why So Serious & To Fool A Nation.

Go read on their Facebook page about 'The Iceman' - very interesting.

Wow mate to each their own but I love this album, especially Why So Serious & To Fool A Nation.

Mate, you won't believe this, but I just listened to 'To Fool A Nation' and absolutely loved it!!! Great song.

I like 'Why So Serious' too, but not as much. The title track is quite nice too, as is 'Mother Of All Lies'. Really don't like 'Sad To See You Suffer' or 'Infinity' so far, but will give them a few more listens. Overall, this sounds much better than 'Pandemonium' to me. Out of interest, what are the guitar solos like? The iTunes samples don't seem to include any.

Mate, you won't believe this, but I just listened to 'To Fool A Nation' and absolutely loved it!!! Great song.

I like 'Why So Serious' too, but not as much. The title track is quite nice too, as is 'Mother Of All Lies'. Really don't like 'Sad To See You Suffer' or 'Infinity' so far, but will give them a few more listens. Overall, this sounds much better than 'Pandemonium' to me. Out of interest, what are the guitar solos like? The iTunes samples don't seem to include any.

Solos very cool. Sample does nothing for 'sad....' as the best part is when the song morphs at around 2.30 mins.

I cannot hear where any PM fan could be disappointed by this CD. While it might not match Pandemonium, this is darned good. I especially like some of the interesting keyboard uses in places:

http://www.heavyharmonies.com/audio/prettymaids_whowhat.mp3

I cannot hear where any PM fan could be disappointed by this CD. While it might not match Pandemonium, this is darned good. I especially like some of the interesting keyboard uses in places:

It's pretty much on a par with Pandemonium for me. That album had some weaker moments too. This is just a continuation I think - they have created the exact same style, sound and song quality - quite a feat really.

Solos very cool. Sample does nothing for 'sad....' as the best part is when the song morphs at around 2.30 mins.

This is very encouraging...

....but this isn't. I really wasn't too impressed with Pandemonium. I only like 3 songs off that one, but I thought this sounded much better. Not so sure now...

:unsure:

On the contrary, I like Pandemonium a lot, and 74% still reflect a good album but didn't get there for me and the prior is much better. I like this band and will invest more time for more spins of course but not sure whether it will go above 80%.

I like what I've heard so far. Some of the purer melodic/AOR style songs I've heard from the band in a long time on this new CD, which is great. And all the the heavy songs are good to excellent too. Only heard it a couple of times so far but I'm digging what I hear. I think it'll at least be on par with 'Pandemonium.' Time will tell which is better, but I don't think I'll be rating this as low as 74%... at least I hope not. ;)

I've just spun this one for the first time tonight. It's really good and like many have stated a real continuation of Pandemonium, however like many here I still think Pandemonium will be better. The new one has some great tunes, but 'Little Drops Of Heaven' put Pandemonium over the top. Although in one area the new one is far superior...it's not a freakin' digipack.

Is it just or has Ronnie Atkins not aged very well, he looks like a zombie....although his voice is still awesome.

I've just spun this one for the first time tonight. It's really good and like many have stated a real continuation of Pandemonium, however like many here I still think Pandemonium will be better. The new one has some great tunes, but 'Little Drops Of Heaven' put Pandemonium over the top. Although in one area the new one is far superior...it's not a freakin' digipack.

Is it just or has Ronnie Atkins not aged very well, he looks like a zombie....although his voice is still awesome.

I bought Pandemonium, gave it plenty of listens and while not a bad album, the only songs I'll ever listen to again are 'I.N.V.U.', 'Little Drops of Heaven' (easily my favourite song on the album) and 'One World One Truth'. Based on the comments here, i.e. that this album isn't quite as good as its predecessor, I think I'd be well-advised to download 'To Fool A Nation' and maybe a couple of others and leave it there.

Will be back on the iTunes samples again tonight...

I bought Pandemonium, gave it plenty of listens and while not a bad album, the only songs I'll ever listen to again are 'I.N.V.U.', 'Little Drops of Heaven' (easily my favourite song on the album) and 'One World One Truth'. Based on the comments here, i.e. that this album isn't quite as good as its predecessor, I think I'd be well-advised to download 'To Fool A Nation' and maybe a couple of others and leave it there.

So u didn't like 'Pandemonium' or 'Cielo Drive' ? I'd have thought they would be right up your street?

So u didn't like 'Pandemonium' or 'Cielo Drive' ? I'd have thought they would be right up your street?

Yeah, I was surprised about that too. After reading comments on this very fine forum about 'Cielo Drive', I was expecting it to be awesome and one of the choooons of the year, but I thought it was a really average song.

There's nothing scientific about musical tastes - there's plenty of stuff I know I should like, but don't. (And given that I'm the bloke who loves 'Danger Danger' and can't stand 'Screw It!', trying to predict what I'll like is nigh on impossible.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Listened to this quite a few times now and while it (predictably) isn't quite as good as I first thought, it's still a good album with plenty of decent songs on it. Best tracks for me are 'To Fool A Nation' and 'Wasted'; very nice songs, although not quite up to 'killer' status. One criticism though - I hate 'Bullet for You'! Gets my vote for worst song of the year so far and probably the worst Pretty Maids song I've ever heard. Dull tune and terrible lyrics - what were they thinking? Overall a thumbs up from me though, second best rock album of the year so far after Vega.

You mad person.

'Bullet For You' is excellent as is the rest of the album. And the lyrics are great, arent they?? Ive found the PM lyrics to really very very good on the last 2 albums.

Pretty much album of the year so far for me, but still havent had time to compile any sort of a list.

You mad person.

'Bullet For You' is excellent as is the rest of the album. And the lyrics are great, arent they?? Ive found the PM lyrics to really very very good on the last 2 albums.

Pretty much album of the year so far for me, but still havent had time to compile any sort of a list.

Really? The lyrics on 'Bullet For You' make me cringe. Big time.

It's the only song I'd single out as being really bad, but I personally really hate it. In fact, the last time I hated a new rock song this much was 'If It's to Be (It's Up to Me)' by Toby Hitchcock! But the important thing here is that (like the very good Toby Hitchcock album) it isn't indicative of the rest of the album, which is good. I prefer it to 'Pandemonium' overall and I doubt I will hear many better Hard Rock albums this year.