Bon Jovi – Because we can

embrock

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

funnily enough after posting on here last night, I just had to crank out Slippery when wet.

Yep, great album. They just played the singles to death but getting past that, I only skip Wild in he Streets.

I've never understood the appeal of their debut album ... Runaway is a stone-cold classic, but the rest of it leaves me cold ... sorry ...

?

These are all 9.5-10

Runaway

Roulette

She Don't Know Me

Shot Through The Heart

Come Back

Along with Breakout which could be the best song on the album.

Damn all this Jovi talk has me jonesing....I need to jam the ST album on the way to work :)

Yeah, I KNOW I'm very much in the minority here (if not 'all alone in a field of one') ... I've tried to hear what others hear when it comes to the debut ... but I don't ... give me 'New Jersey' and 'Keep The Faith' any day ...

I've never understood the appeal of their debut album ... Runaway is a stone-cold classic, but the rest of it leaves me cold ... sorry ...

?

These are all 9.5-10

Runaway

Roulette

She Don't Know Me

Shot Through The Heart

Come Back

Damn all this Jovi talk has me jonesing....I need to jam the ST album on the way to work :)

Yeah, I KNOW I'm very much in the minority here (if not 'all alone in a field of one') ... I've tried to hear what others hear when it comes to the debut ... but I don't ... give me 'New Jersey' and 'Keep The Faith' any day ...

When I do my rating of these albums those are the 2 I think are gonna suffer - several fillers across those 2 albums IMO.

?

These are all 9.5-10

Runaway

Roulette

She Don't Know Me

Shot Through The Heart

Come Back

When I do my rating of these albums those are the 2 I think are gonna suffer - several fillers across those 2 albums IMO.

The only albums by the band that I would say have 0% filler for me are Slippery and Jersey. Faith is only let down by If I was your mother (not that its a terrible song, just that I hate the song title and concept), and Fear which just never excited me. These days has a couple of weak tracks on it as well.

?

These are all 9.5-10

Runaway

Roulette

She Don't Know Me

Shot Through The Heart

Come Back

The only albums by the band that I would say have 0% filler for me are Slippery and Jersey. Faith is only let down by If I was your mother (not that its a terrible song, just that I hate the song title and concept), and Fear which just never excited me. These days has a couple of weak tracks on it as well.

Oh dude, if I was your mother is killer!!!

?

These are all 9.5-10

Runaway

Roulette

She Don't Know Me

Shot Through The Heart

Come Back

Not for me. Faith is my favorite and NJ only had filler at the end.

A few comments:

The only track on the debut I don't absolutely love is 'Get ready.' Not bad, but just an average party rock song on the end. All of the other 8 songs are fantastic, imo.

'If I was your mother' and 'Fear'??? Zomfg, they're two of my favourite songs off 'Keep The Faith,' especially 'if I was your mother.' I was hoping that was a direction the band might take themselves in at one point. Love those songs. The only songs I don't love on that CD are the title track and 'I'll sleep when I'm dead.'

0% filler on 'New Jesrsey?' What about 'Homebound train' and 'Love for sale?' Those two songs basically define the term filler. I rated 'Homebound train' with the rest of the CD, but chose to leave 'Love for sale' out of my rating for the CD as I don't rate intros, interludes, instrumentals etc. and to me that song's just a pointless kind of bonus addition, not to detract from the rest of an excellent CD.

'Slippery When Wet.' FYI, here's how I got to my rating:

1 - Let It Rock - good anthemic opener - 8.00

2 - You Give Love A Bad Name - classic melodic rocker with a huge chorus - 9.75

3 - Livin’ On A Prayer - overplayed or not, can't fault the song - 10.00

4 - Social Disease - not a great song by any means - just weak all 'round - 5.00

5 - Wanted Dead Or Alive - good, solid ballad but really not great compared to great ballads of this era - 7.50

6 - Raise Your Hands - nice big anthemic rocker - 8.75

7 - Without Love - a more perfect song one could craft, I know not of - 10.00

8 - I’d Die For You - killer melodic rocker - huge chorus - 9.75

9 - Never Say Goodbye - real nice ballad, much nicer than the first one - 8.50

10 - Wild In The Streets - great pre-chorus, decent hard rocker - 7.50

- Total - 85%

A few comments:

The only track on the debut I don't absolutely love is 'Get ready.' Not bad, but just an average party rock song on the end. All of the other 8 songs are fantastic, imo.

'If I was your mother' and 'Fear'??? Zomfg, they're two of my favourite songs off 'Keep The Faith,' especially 'if I was your mother.' I was hoping that was a direction the band might take themselves in at one point. Love those songs. The only songs I don't love on that CD are the title track and 'I'll sleep when I'm dead.'

0% filler on 'New Jesrsey?' What about 'Homebound train' and 'Love for sale?' Those two songs basically define the term filler. I rated 'Homebound train' with the rest of the CD, but chose to leave 'Love for sale' out of my rating for the CD as I don't rate intros, interludes, instrumentals etc. and to me that song's just a pointless kind of bonus addition, not to detract from the rest of an excellent CD.

'Slippery When Wet.' FYI, here's how I got to my rating:

1 - Let It Rock - good anthemic opener - 8.00

2 - You Give Love A Bad Name - classic melodic rocker with a huge chorus - 9.75

3 - Livin’ On A Prayer - overplayed or not, can't fault the song - 10.00

4 - Social Disease - not a great song by any means - just weak all 'round - 5.00

5 - Wanted Dead Or Alive - good, solid ballad but really not great compared to great ballads of this era - 7.50

6 - Raise Your Hands - nice big anthemic rocker - 8.75

7 - Without Love - a more perfect song one could craft, I know not of - 10.00

8 - I’d Die For You - killer melodic rocker - huge chorus - 9.75

9 - Never Say Goodbye - real nice ballad, much nicer than the first one - 8.50

10 - Wild In The Streets - great pre-chorus, decent hard rocker - 7.50

- Total - 85%

Spot on with you on the two songs mentioned on the Faith album. Freakin great!

I hate Love for Sale as well but love Homebound Train. Good stuff!

I like the new album. The circle was better, but "What about now" is a nice cd too.

I'm a fan of the 80s my favs are Slippery,new jersey and the self titled. I'm not a fan of Keep the faith and these days.

I know they could rock much better than this (Have a nice day) but I can accept the new direction.

ok, question. the worst song from Crush, would it be a top 3 song on this album?

Jovi lost me on the last album. it was the first I didn't buy from them and not buying this one either. Don't get me wrong, I sitll think BJ is pretty cool, they way they have kept themselves alive in the music biz all these year and still selling albums on a major label and such but their recent stuff hasn't made me want to won it. I would still see them in concert if they were close and it it were affordbale. I think their live show would be something I would love to see

always thought this was underated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59NoqP02ZYM

My Favorite from this album

Looks like Sambora won't be touring with them this year for 'personal reasons' ...

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, not sure if this has been mentioned already, but just found out that the bonus songs are a bigger gyp than I first thought. Initially I was annoyed that one was already available on the recent Sambora solo album, now just found out two of the other songs were Jon solo tracks from the Stand up guys soundtrack album.

So I've spun this one a few times and it's not bad IMO. Some strong hooks and the usual good songwriting. It's all a bit forgettable and, unless you're playing it late a night, can sound quite bland. I'd never suggest paying more than discounted prices for it, but it's a decent disc. Lacks a real big standout tune, and has too many fillers (an unfortunate issue with most of their albums of the last 15 years), but enjoyable enough...

So I've spun this one a few times and it's not bad IMO. Some strong hooks and the usual good songwriting. It's all a bit forgettable and, unless you're playing it late a night, can sound quite bland. I'd never suggest paying more than discounted prices for it, but it's a decent disc. Lacks a real big standout tune, and has too many fillers (an unfortunate issue with most of their albums of the last 15 years), but enjoyable enough...

Pretty much my thoughts Mate. Not brilliant, but not as bad as some make it out to be.

• 2 weeks later...

'If I was your mother' and 'Fear'??? Zomfg, they're two of my favourite songs off 'Keep The Faith,' especially 'if I was your mother.' I was hoping that was a direction the band might take themselves in at one point. Love those songs.

I read the original comment and I thought the same thing. Excellent songs.

• 2 months later...