Bon Jovi – Because we can

embrock

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a pretty good album. The single that kicks things off is ok, nothing great, but I found I really liked the next 4 or 5 tracks which make for a pretty strong start to a 16 track album. also on the plus side, Sambora does some nice stuff throughout. It does plod in the middle, more down to the same tempo of the songs rather than them not being any good, (although 2 of the 4 bonus tracks are rubbish), As mentioned, this would have made a really good 10-11 track album and whilst it's not as good as 'The Circle' (which I really liked) it isn't their worst either.

Just out of curiosity, which album/s do you think is worth than this one? Totally curious question, nothing mean in it. :)

Need to spin some more to decide exactly where sits in the BJ Catologue, but so far, This Left Feels Like Right (Obviously),..'Crush' which bar a few tracks was a major disappointment, 'Lost Highway' ..Which I enjoyed but I think the songs on the new one are generally better.

Yeah, my first thought was 'Crush' but then I thought 'It's my life' and 'Just older,' 'She's a mystery,' even 'Nuerotica.' For me there'd be about 7-8 songs on that disc better than anything on the new one. There were a few gems on 'Lost Highway' too. Anyway, to each their own. I'll be interested to see how it fares after a few spins. I know for sure it'll rate for me as their weakest studio album (not including 'This left feels right').

I've spun the whole lot over the last week and had forgotten how weak 'Crush' and 'Bounce' both are bar a couple of tracks each..just really plain average all the way, so along with 'This Left..' they go to the bottom of the pile. So with that in mind, My order of preference in Mr. Jovi's catologue is the following.

Bon Jovi

Slippery When Wet

New Jersey

The Circle

These Days

Keep The Faith

7800 Fahrenheit

Lost Highway

What About Now

Have A Nice Day

Bounce

Crush

This Left Feels Like Right

You got me intrigued, mate. I want to be a better man. And I will be.

But for now, I'm going to do this. Sit down and rate all BJ albums to get my definitive list too. I am genuinely interested to see how the discography stacks up. 'The Circle' seems way out of place on that list to me, but we'll see. Maybe I'll have some curveballs too. I'm up to 'These days' now and I already have a few positions I did not expect. And I gotta say, listening to this disc... when did the chaps forget how to write such a magnificent ballad? They are sooo good on 'These days,' but apart from 'She's a mystery' I don't think they've written a good ballad since. I assume it was Jon primarily penning the lyrics, but he really knew how to slap that heart on his sleeve. Current BJ ballads are a trout across the face compared to this stuff. And his voice too. 'These Days' is the last time Jon ever sounded like this. :( A truly great disc, imo.

Off the top of my head I would say:

New Jersey

Slippery when wet

Keep the faith

These days

Bon Jovi

7800 degrees

Crush

Bounce

The Circle

Have a nice day

Lost Highway

What about now

This left sounds shite

Okay, here it is. The most anticipated post of 2013. Except every single other one. But I went through the BJ discography and put a legitimate score on each CD. Here's the results I came out with, thankfully proving that, to me at least, this is their weakest album, sadly:

1. Bon Jovi - 93%

2. New Jersey - 92%

3. 7800 Fahrenheit - 91%

4. Keep The Faith - 89%

5. These Days - 88%

6. Slippery When Wet - 85%

7. Have A Nice Day - 81%

8. Crush - 76%

9. The Circle - 75%

10. Bounce - 73%

11. Lost Highway - 71%

12. What About Now - 64%

Controversial is no doubt the placement of 'Slippery.' But despite the great tracks on that album, before their hiatus, this album had the most amount of filler of any of their discs. I was also surprised at 'Bounce's poor performance as I love the more harder rocking style of some tracks on that, just jeez it's let down by a bunch of plodders in the middle.

I need to think it through but basically the first album, then skip 7800, then the next four but I am unsure of the order. I can tell you other than a handful of songs, I thought 7800 was fluffy crap. I think my favorite is Keep the Faith, then New Jersey, the SWW and ST are a tie for third. I think SWW gets effected by over play from back in the day, otherwise it's a slam dunk number one.

I need to think it through but basically the first album, then skip 7800, then the next four but I am unsure of the order. I can tell you other than a handful of songs, I thought 7800 was fluffy crap. I think my favorite is Keep the Faith, then New Jersey, then SWW and ST are a tie for third. I think SWW gets effected by over play from back in the day, otherwise it's a slam dunk number one.

I'm surprised to see the debut rated very highly for you guys. I think the top albums are 'Keep The Faith' and 'These Days' (90-95%), and then followed by 'New Jersey' and 'Slippery When Wet' (85-90%), then s/t (80%) and '7800'. The latter one is still the worst album of the early era, I rated probably around 75-77% and perhaps as strong as 'Crush', 'Bounce', and 'What About Now'. HAND is 80%, and I gave 'Lost Highway' around 81-82%. 'Circle' is 70%, so it's still the lowest stack, but basically I'm enjoying all albums like Captain except TLFR which can be ignored. Guess am a fan then

I'm surprised to see the debut rated very highly for you guys. I think the top albums are 'Keep The Faith' and 'These Days' (90-95%), and then followed by 'New Jersey' and 'Slippery When Wet' (85-90%), then s/t (80%) and '7800'. The latter one is still the worst album of the early era, I rated probably around 75-77% and perhaps as strong as 'Crush', 'Bounce', and 'What About Now'. HAND is 80%, and I gave 'Lost Highway' around 81-82%. 'Circle' is 70%, so it's still the lowest stack, but basically I'm enjoying all albums like Captain except TLFR which can be ignored. Guess am a fan then

Blimey, Lost Highway > s/t ??????!

Have you gone mad lol ;-))

Yeah, backed. There's something really pure and beautiful about the debut. I love all the songs and it's great just to hear them in an honest environment, before the bells and whistles and hype and popularity. Great disc. 'Lost Highway,' to me, is kind of the beginning of their decline for me. Their softest, "least rocking" disc, plus the country angle. I can still hear a solid rock sound from 'Crush' to 'HAND,' but the balls definitely seem to be lacking on 'Lost Highway.'

Yeah, backed. There's something really pure and beautiful about the debut. I love all the songs and it's great just to hear them in an honest environment, before the bells and whistles and hype and popularity. Great disc. 'Lost Highway,' to me, is kind of the beginning of their decline for me. Their softest, "least rocking" disc, plus the country angle. I can still hear a solid rock sound from 'Crush' to 'HAND,' but the balls definitely seem to be lacking on 'Lost Highway.'

It's very difficult to rate them until they got bad of course. The ST album is special, and it may have a song or two that I skip which typically effects where I rank it because it only has nine tracks to begin with. But Runaway, Roulette, She Don't Know, Shot Through the Heart, Love Lies and Breakout I would put up against anything they have written. They are that good....

But you see this is where our opinions differ. I cant hear a single filler tune on Slippery, but there is a bucket load on the first two albums.

While I rated them in the order I rated them the other day, I back flip all the time on which is better between the debut and 7800. I tend to say that the self titled is better as it as the weaker tracks on 7800 are worse than the weaker tracks on the debut. But, 7800 has one of my favourite Jovi songs of all time on it (Tokyo Road), so that balances the weaker tracks.

Shit, I just just put them as equal and save myself the headache of deciding which is better.

I'm not sure what fillers you guys are hearing on the debut? Nine killer tracks for me. A classic if ever I heard one. I think I may need to rate them as well, well at least up to These Days, to see how they place.

I'm not sure what fillers you guys are hearing on the debut? Nine killer tracks for me. A classic if ever I heard one. I think I may need to rate them as well, well at least up to These Days, to see how they place.

Quite simply, the first five songs are great, the last four I can live without and rarely ever listen to. Burning for love isnt bad, but not essential listening for me.

Okay, here it is. The most anticipated post of 2013. Except every single other one. But I went through the BJ discography and put a legitimate score on each CD. Here's the results I came out with, thankfully proving that, to me at least, this is their weakest album, sadly:

1. Bon Jovi - 93%

2. New Jersey - 92%

3. 7800 Fahrenheit - 91%

4. Keep The Faith - 89%

5. These Days - 88%

7. Have A Nice Day - 81%

8. Crush - 76%

9. The Circle - 75%

10. Bounce - 73%

11. Lost Highway - 71%

12. What About Now - 64%

Controversial is no doubt the placement of 'Slippery.' But despite the great tracks on that album, before their hiatus, this album had the most amount of filler of any of their discs. I was also surprised at 'Bounce's poor performance as I love the more harder rocking style of some tracks on that, just jeez it's let down by a bunch of plodders in the middle.

I had to go back and look as the tracks list for SWW because I coudn't think of one bad song on it. I must say that I will stick by the not a bad song on Slippery but to each ear their own. As for Bounce, if they would have been more consistant and if they didn't forget how to write a big ballad that album would have been so much better. the rockers on that album is just great stuff.

As stated before , how has a band that's given us songs like Always, Bed Of Roses, Living In Sin and so on totaly forget how to write a great ballad. I have been so let down by all their ballads over the last few albums have awful boring type stuff.

1. Bon Jovi - 93%

2. New Jersey - 92%

3. 7800 Fahrenheit - 91%

4. Keep The Faith - 89%

5. These Days - 88%

7. Have A Nice Day - 81%

8. Crush - 76%

9. The Circle - 75%

10. Bounce - 73%

11. Lost Highway - 71%

12. What About Now - 64%

I had to go back and look as the tracks list for SWW because I coudn't think of one bad song on it. I must say that I will stick by the not a bad song on Slippery but to each ear their own. As for Bounce, if they would have been more consistant and if they didn't forget how to write a big ballad that album would have been so much better. the rockers on that album is just great stuff.

As stated before , how has a band that's given us songs like Always, Bed Of Roses, Living In Sin and so on totaly forget how to write a great ballad. I have been so let down by all their ballads over the last few albums have awful boring type stuff.

My views:

1. Slippery When Wet - 90%

2. New Jersey - 88%

3. Keep The Faith - 84%

4. Bon Jovi - 82%

5. 7800 Fahrenheit - 80%

6. These Days - 78%

7. Have A Nice Day - 73%

8. Crush - 70%

9. The Circle - 69%

10. Bounce - 65%

11. What About Now - 62%

12. Lost Highway - 60%

Without individual Scores, here's my ranking....

-------------------

EXCEPTIONAL ALBUMS (95-100)

-------------------

1. New Jersey

----------------

GREAT ALBUMS (85-95)

----------------

2. Slippery When Wet

3. Bon Jovi

----------------------------

VERY GOOD ALBUMS (75-85)

----------------------------

4. Keep The Faith

5. 7800F

6. These Days

--------------

GOOD (65-75)

--------------

7. Crush

8. Bounce

9. Have A Nice Day

10. The Circle

---------------

AVERAGE ALBUMS (50 -65)

----------------

11. Lost Highway

-----------------------

FLAMING TURD BURGERS (<50)

-------------------------

12. What About Now (can't even bring myself to listening to the whole thing)

+ the live album and the 'Left Sounds Shit' album also fit in here.

I'm perfectly sane mate. I won't say it better, equally good maybe, 1-2% difference is ignorable but I like LH better indeed and to be honest, I rarely spun the s/t and probably spun LH more, especially when I'm in an easy listening mood, and it's quite harmless for the family when I put it in my car, you know what I mean. Though both albums can't be compared head to head because it's kinda different, hard rock vs country rock :D

Quite simply, the first five songs are great, the last four I can live without and rarely ever listen to. Burning for love isnt bad, but not essential listening for me.

Come Back is one of my fav BJ songs. Killer track

I've never understood the appeal of their debut album ... Runaway is a stone-cold classic, but the rest of it leaves me cold ... sorry ...

I've never understood the appeal of their debut album ... Runaway is a stone-cold classic, but the rest of it leaves me cold ... sorry ...

?

These are all 9.5-10

Runaway

Roulette

She Don't Know Me

Shot Through The Heart

Come Back

?

These are all 9.5-10

Runaway

Roulette

She Don't Know Me

Shot Through The Heart

Come Back

Along with Breakout which could be the best song on the album.

Damn all this Jovi talk has me jonesing....I need to jam the ST album on the way to work :)