Bon Jovi – Because we can

embrock

I'm really young too, 'cause I like it. Seriously, just a cool catchy tune, BJ or not.

Jeez the guys in the band are starting to look their age, though. Why is Hugh not in the film clips? What is the reason he has never become a permanent part of the band? I noticed the other day when reading through the liner notes that he actually plays as far back as on the Bon Jovi debut.

I think the reason is that Hugh is always a session musician and also even though Alec wasn't part of Bon Jovi family, I heard that he was never officially replaced.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I showed this video to my fiance (yay!) & she said she kinda liked it. Then I showed her the video for "Have A Nice Day", which I personally think is one of the best songs they've written in the past 15 years. Her response...yeah, the new song kinda sucks compared to that one. Nuff said.

I'm really young too, 'cause I like it. Seriously, just a cool catchy tune, BJ or not.

Jeez the guys in the band are starting to look their age, though. Why is Hugh not in the film clips? What is the reason he has never become a permanent part of the band? I noticed the other day when reading through the liner notes that he actually plays as far back as on the Bon Jovi debut.

I think the reason is that Hugh is always a session musician and also even though Alec wasn't part of Bon Jovi family, I heard that he was never officially replaced.

Simply put its down to money. Hugh is paid a wage, and probably gets no part of the monetary split or creative control.

Dont forget, Steve Adler was a part of GNR and they paid him off when they kicked him out because they didnt want him to continuing to take a cut of their money, but then his sister or mother found out, and they made him sue because the money GNR paid him was a pittance in comparison to what he would have got had he not relinquished his stake in the band. He got a shit load of money from that court case.

Jovi dont want anything like that happening to them because Jon runs a tight ship. People can hate the man and call him ruthless, but thats what makes him such a good business man.

• My Little Pony

Okay, I went back to listen to it again, 'cause I thought maybe I was mistaken...

Nope, it's still quite forgettable. The Springsteen reference is true, but I'm not a Springsteen fan, so it does nothing for me. What was their last album? I can't remember, but I did genuinely enjoy "Have a Nice Day." This already doesn't compare.

• 1 month later...

So has anyone heard the new album yet, 'What About Now.'

I gotta say, as a dude who's spent a lot of time "defending" this band here, rightly so, this is pretty weak. I'd have to say it's their weakest album so far - of originals. Not including 'This left feels right' for instance.

The version I'm hearing is 16 tracks long, which is just suicide. You could cut 6 of these songs without even batting an eyelid and have a slightly better disc. But to be brutally honest, you'd be struggling with the remaining 10 tracks to find the 10 best. There's nothing above about a 7/10 on here for me, which is disappointing. Whilst a lot of the recent BJ albums have left a lot to be desired, I've usually found a few very good tunes on each disc. This one? I'm not sure there is one. 'I'm with you,' 'What about now,' 'That’s What The Water Made Me.' (what are they talking about??), 'Army of One,' 'Beautiful world,' 'Room at the end of the world' and 'With these two hands' are the best songs, but like I say, all 7/10 and nothing really any higher. The rest is pretty weak.

I do still think BJ are relevant and whilst I'm disappointed with this, there's still worse out there and it's not terrible. Just the weakest in a while...

So has anyone heard the new album yet, 'What About Now.'

I gotta say, as a dude who's spent a lot of time "defending" this band here, rightly so, this is pretty weak. I'd have to say it's their weakest album so far - of originals. Not including 'This left feels right' for instance.

The version I'm hearing is 16 tracks long, which is just suicide. You could cut 6 of these songs without even batting an eyelid and have a slightly better disc. But to be brutally honest, you'd be struggling with the remaining 10 tracks to find the 10 best. There's nothing above about a 7/10 on here for me, which is disappointing. Whilst a lot of the recent BJ albums have left a lot to be desired, I've usually found a few very good tunes on each disc. This one? I'm not sure there is one. 'I'm with you,' 'What about now,' 'That’s What The Water Made Me.' (what are they talking about??), 'Army of One,' 'Beautiful world,' 'Room at the end of the world' and 'With these two hands' are the best songs, but like I say, all 7/10 and nothing really any higher. The rest is pretty weak.

I do still think BJ are relevant and whilst I'm disappointed with this, there's still worse out there and it's not terrible. Just the weakest in a while...

Got the CD this morning (not sure why the postman was delivering on a Sunday), and while I havent played it through properly yet, I did do a quick sample spin through.

The album isnt overly bad, but its not overly great either. I am not gonna judge it yet as there were songs on the last one that didnt hook me until I had spun it a few times, but I now love.

The only issue I see with it is the 4 bonus tracks are weak as piss, or are actually not new. Hell, one of them isnt even a Bon Jovi song as its been lifted straight from Richies recent solo album.

They're playing Hyde Park later this year ... all the posters/advertisements show the four of them without Hugh ... As for the new song/album ... I haven't really bothered with anything they've released since 'Keep The Faith' (the odd song, here and there, has been okay) ... I don't see this latest release changing my mind ...

It's a pretty good album. The single that kicks things off is ok, nothing great, but I found I really liked the next 4 or 5 tracks which make for a pretty strong start to a 16 track album. also on the plus side, Sambora does some nice stuff throughout. It does plod in the middle, more down to the same tempo of the songs rather than them not being any good, (although 2 of the 4 bonus tracks are rubbish), As mentioned, this would have made a really good 10-11 track album and whilst it's not as good as 'The Circle' (which I really liked) it isn't their worst either.

I started listening to this on Spotify. The first 3 tracks I liked, the next 2 (ballads I think) were a bit mushy. Will revisit soon, but I can't see me buying this to be honest.

I started listening to this on Spotify. The first 3 tracks I liked, the next 2 (ballads I think) were a bit mushy. Will revisit soon, but I can't see me buying this to be honest.

yeah..there are a few ballads as usual... 'Amen' and 'Thick As Thieves' which are both good and 'The Fighter' which I didn't like as much,

It's a pretty good album. The single that kicks things off is ok, nothing great, but I found I really liked the next 4 or 5 tracks which make for a pretty strong start to a 16 track album. also on the plus side, Sambora does some nice stuff throughout. It does plod in the middle, more down to the same tempo of the songs rather than them not being any good, (although 2 of the 4 bonus tracks are rubbish), As mentioned, this would have made a really good 10-11 track album and whilst it's not as good as 'The Circle' (which I really liked) it isn't their worst either.

Just out of curiosity, which album/s do you think is worth than this one? Totally curious question, nothing mean in it. :)

Like I said, I don't think it's an awful CD, but for me it's got the weakest best songs of all their CDs, if that makes sense. What I mean is that the best songs on this CD are nowhere near the quality of the best songs on any of their other CDs, imo. And there are a lot of weak tunes, especially the ballads. One song I forgot to mention in the good ones is 'Every road leads home to you' - a Sambora vocalled tune. I like that one too.

I gave 8 songs a 7/10, so you almost have a full 10 track album of solid tunes.

That last track is, as Captain Howdy said, off Richie's last solo album (which I LOVE and the album itself has plenty of balls) but I think this is the album that's turned me off the band....honestly, I like a couple of tracks, but seriously underwhelmed by this....not that I expected much in the first place tbh, as soon as I heard Because We Can I decided to not get my hopes up for this one, glad I didn't!

Nothing on here really has any punch to it....most of these songs are all mid-tempo alternative rock songs almost, the musicianship is the only thing that really stands out to me.

I think Sambora needs to jump ship and go solo before it's too late (if it's not already)

Jon was on Sirius/XM Hairnation yesterday. doing a question and answer sessison. he said if they did a Slippery 2, that would be a lie to the public and the band. He doesn't want to lie to anyone about where his music is at and what the band is about.

In the great words of Jonny Lang - LIE TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just out of curiosity, which album/s do you think is worth than this one? Totally curious question, nothing mean in it. :)

Need to spin some more to decide exactly where sits in the BJ Catologue, but so far, This Left Feels Like Right (Obviously),..'Crush' which bar a few tracks was a major disappointment, 'Lost Highway' ..Which I enjoyed but I think the songs on the new one are generally better.

Think it was Picture of you (or something like that?) which had me hitting the skip button. Horribly sickly goo. Yuk.

I think it was probably 'Amen' as 'Pictures Of You' is a more mid tempo song and one of the best on the album. I was concentrating more on the second half of this today and I'm really digging 'Room At The End Of The World' and Bonus track 'These Two Hands'. two great tunes.

The only 2 songs that I'd consider decent are What About Now & That's What The Water Made Me (though like Geoff, I have no fucking idea what the song is about). The rest is pretty much crap. To me, all the songs sound like the same damn song with a slightly different tempo. Again, they haven't put out anything good since HAND.

Need to spin some more to decide exactly where sits in the BJ Catologue, but so far, This Left Feels Like Right (Obviously),..'Crush' which bar a few tracks was a major disappointment, 'Lost Highway' ..Which I enjoyed but I think the songs on the new one are generally better.

Yeah, my first thought was 'Crush' but then I thought 'It's my life' and 'Just older,' 'She's a mystery,' even 'Nuerotica.' For me there'd be about 7-8 songs on that disc better than anything on the new one. There were a few gems on 'Lost Highway' too. Anyway, to each their own. I'll be interested to see how it fares after a few spins. I know for sure it'll rate for me as their weakest studio album (not including 'This left feels right').

The only 2 songs that I'd consider decent are What About Now & That's What The Water Made Me (though like Geoff, I have no fucking idea what the song is about). The rest is pretty much crap. To me, all the songs sound like the same damn song with a slightly different tempo. Again, they haven't put out anything good since HAND.

Personally, as much as I liked HAND, I thought Circle was a far superior album.

Quite surprise that you prefer 'Circle' over 'HAND' mate, I personally think HAND is much better album

After a quick spin on this one, I still think that 'Circle' [probably rated around 70%] is their weakest to date (not counting This Left Feels Right). The problem with this album is probably too many slow songs, and several were quite dull, too bad because usually BJ can make a great and lively ballads such as those presented in 'These Days' album.

All those mid-paced and uptempo tracks are enjoyable here. The best track is 'What About Now' for me, and followed by the single, 'Because We Can' and 'Beautiful World' [which sounds very Matchbox 20 IMHO], and the bonus track, 'With These Two Hands' is also nice. On the slower parts, I like 'Amen', 'What's Left of Me' [country vibe, perhaps fits to be in the 'Lost Highway' album], 'Room At The End of The World' is an 8/10 from me, the ethereal guitar picking is very calming and overall the chorus is also great, and also I kinda dig the 16th track, 'Every Road Leads Home To You', which is this time, is like a britrock track.

I can understand the disappointment from many fans because this ain't no hard rock, in fact let's call it a pop rock. I'm okay with that and accept the fact that BJ had mostly change the musical direction since 2000. While Bon Jovi's high range vocal is history, I was also let down with the lack of spiritful riffs, bluesy touch, and some wild solos from Richie Sambora, all the guitar parts here are too safe, and probably too 'mechanical' like when you hear Edge of U2, full of sound effects. I rated the musicianship level here a 6/10 and replay value is around 6.5/10, quite okay for an occasional spin once in two months.

I rated the basic version without the bonus tracks around 72%, but by removing the 4 weakest tracks of the deluxe version ('Army of One', 'Thick As Thieves', 'Old Habits Die Hard', and 'Not Running Anymore'), this came out actually as a good album, almost as strong as 'Crush' and 'Bounce', but worse than 'HAND' and 'LH'. As long as you're not hoping for a 'Slippery When Wet' part 2, and you don't mind the modern days era of BJ, this is worth checkin' out.

77%

Quite surprise that you prefer 'Circle' over 'HAND' mate, I personally think HAND is much better album

My Bon Jovi playlist has far more songs from Circle on it than it does HAND, so that makes it a better album for me. The title track from HAND is very much the older style that most people want, but songs like When we were beautiful, We werent born to follow, Work for the working man & Superman tonight were just such a great opening salvo of brilliant songs, whereas I felt HAND just didnt hook me the same way.

There are some great songs on HAND, but just not the same calibre as Circle for my tastes. Although I have to say the first time I span Circle I wasnt amazed by it, but after a few spins it just hooked itself in my brain and stayed there.

Yeah I agree, Circle is a bit grower and I myself has appreciated it more after probably 4-5 spins, but 70%-ish is the best I can give, in fact most of the new era of BJ albums were below 80% for me except for HAND and Lost Highway, which strangely I found the latter enjoyable

Yeah, my first thought was 'Crush' but then I thought 'It's my life' and 'Just older,' 'She's a mystery,' even 'Nuerotica.' For me there'd be about 7-8 songs on that disc better than anything on the new one. There were a few gems on 'Lost Highway' too. Anyway, to each their own. I'll be interested to see how it fares after a few spins. I know for sure it'll rate for me as their weakest studio album (not including 'This left feels right').

I've spun the whole lot over the last week and had forgotten how weak 'Crush' and 'Bounce' both are bar a couple of tracks each..just really plain average all the way, so along with 'This Left..' they go to the bottom of the pile. So with that in mind, My order of preference in Mr. Jovi's catologue is the following.

Bon Jovi

Slippery When Wet

New Jersey

The Circle

These Days

Keep The Faith

7800 Fahrenheit

Lost Highway

What About Now

Have A Nice Day

Bounce

Crush