Glam Band To Bring It Back?

speedboi101

The same band that released their s/t album in 2012? Wow mate, they were pretty damn average if you ask me. I could only muster up a 60% for that disc. Dozens and dozens of bands that are more likely to make a dent than those kids, imo of course. ;)

The Nasty Habit album was ok, with some decent songs, but nothing on it that made me shout "holy shit" and keep playing it over and over. Plus the production was flatter than Mr Flat of Flatsville.

For me at the moment, the British hard rock and glam scene has far too many superior bands at the moment for me to go apeshit over a band like Nasty Habit, sorry. (and hey, I bought their album purely based on two youtube videos, so they must have had something).

• 1 month later...

you have to ask yourself how you define "bringing it back"

it used to be that popularity was gauged on radio airplay, a recording contract, and album sales.

last time glam was big was before the internet,, so none of those factors even remotely apply anymore.

i would even go so far as to say any band that is prioritizing those aforementioned 3 is expending their resources wastefully.

I think bringing it back would still mean the same thing today as it did back then, regardless of the parameters.

The internet is just another tool, not a replacement.

Bringing it back would basically mean big album sales, high media exposure and tours in large arenas and stadiums.

Its easy to get minor exposure on the internet, but its the major websites, tv channels, radio and magazines/newspapers that would mean that something has made a huge impact.

Bringing it back would still be determined by popularity, getting signed by big record labels, having big record sales and big sell out tours.

Radio I will agree is probably the least important these days (as lets face it, during the height of his popularity, how often was Marilyn Manson on the radio?), but if you can get some decent airplay on a big radio station, how is that a wasteful resource? That would still get you the exposure you need to push record sales and sell concert tickets.

I think bringing it back would still mean the same thing today as it did back then, regardless of the parameters.

Bringing it back would basically mean big album sales, high media exposure and tours in large arenas and stadiums.

Its easy to get minor exposure on the internet, but its the major websites, tv channels, radio and magazines/newspapers that would mean that something has made a huge impact.

Bringing it back would still be determined by popularity, getting signed by big record labels, having big record sales and big sell out tours.

Radio I will agree is probably the least important these days (as lets face it, during the height of his popularity, how often was Marilyn Manson on the radio?), but if you can get some decent airplay on a big radio station, how is that a wasteful resource? That would still get you the exposure you need to push record sales and sell concert tickets.

Gotta agree here... I'm not sure you can say that "glam" ever truely went away. It just seemed to go underground. It was the exposure and mega-record sales that went away.

Guest dontdokken

I agree with both LV KIX and Captain Howdy. And was Glam ever mainstream? I mean there are only a handful glam bands that had a major hit back in the day and I must admit that all the image of glam bands had underground written all over them... I personally don't want any comeback of any genre of music I adore because that would mean blending it with factor that will try and change it. I don't want to sound elitist or anything but I just like the things the way they are, th glory days arer gone, we can't get them back, and if we try and reproduce that would be a disaster. I hope I am completely wrong...

What dontdokken is saying is correct, the likes of Poison, GNR, Ratt, Crue and a few others were mainstream, there were far more bands that were not mainstream. And if you looked at other countries, even less made it mainstream.

The likes of Crue, Skid Row and WASP scraped into the UK charts from time to time, but got very little airplay.

The only bands to get any sort of decent airplay were the likes of Jovi, Poison, Alice, Van Halen, GNR and Aerosmith. You would never hear a Ratt, Warrant or Winger for example.

What dontdokken is saying is correct, the likes of Poison, GNR, Ratt, Crue and a few others were mainstream, there were far more bands that were not mainstream. And if you looked at other countries, even less made it mainstream.

The likes of Crue, Skid Row and WASP scraped into the UK charts from time to time, but got very little airplay.

The only bands to get any sort of decent airplay were the likes of Jovi, Poison, Alice, Van Halen, GNR and Aerosmith. You would never hear a Ratt, Warrant or Winger for example.

Bizarre, isn't it? Bands like Ratt, Winger, etc had a similar sound to the bands that made and the songs were just as good (or better) yet they got no coverage at all. It was as if people had a vague interest in rock music, but were scared of getting in 'too deep'! ;)

I remember Ratt and Winger being allover MTV unless u mean something different.

They were on Headbangers Ball here, but that was about it. The majority of the many thousands of people who bought '1987', 'Hysteria' and 'Bad Animals' in the UK wouldn't even have heard of Ratt or Winger.

They were on Headbangers Ball here, but that was about it. The majority of the many thousands of people who bought '1987', 'Hysteria' and 'Bad Animals' in the UK wouldn't even have heard of Ratt or Winger.

Yeah, anyone I know knows Bon Jovi and Motley Crue, with a vague recollection of Def Leppard and Poison. But no one has ever heard of Ratt or Winger. Or even Warrant, until you mention 'Cherry Pie' by name.

Yeah, anyone I know knows Bon Jovi and Motley Crue, with a vague recollection of Def Leppard and Poison. But no one has ever heard of Ratt or Winger. Or even Warrant, until you mention 'Cherry Pie' by name.

probably because that is their best song.

You are kidding aren't you? Don't make me throw down.

What you mean it's not yours?? Only the other day you were harping on about how Cherry Pie was awesome and slaughtered stuff like April 2031, Mr Rainmaker, bridges are burning etc.

Wow dude, you forget easily?

What you mean it's not yours?? Only the other day you were harping on about how Cherry Pie was awesome and slaughtered stuff like April 2031, Mr Rainmaker, bridges are burning etc.

Wow dude, you forget easily?

Sorry mate, I forgot. That was the same day when I mentioned that I finally figured out that christians are right, and that a penis is a lot more appealing than a vagina. Good day, that one.

The funny thing is, more people know the likes of Warrant, Quiet Riot and other bands of the genre today through exposure in movies and especially video games.

One that makes me laugh is the amount of people who know the song Kickstart my heart because they have heard it in films and games. When I point out I have had all of their albums for years, and buy every new one that comes out, they look at me like its some kind of new song, and they had no idea the band has been going for years.

Another prime example is Dont stop believing by Journey. Just about everyone knows that song in the UK now. Go back in the day, and nobody but the people from the scene knew it, and it even went high in the UK charts in 2009.