Crashdiet - The Savage Playground

Stefan

After one spin this album is not very good at all. I am soooo dissapointed they don't sound like the same band at all.

The other 3 are so much better but I hope this is the grower everyone says it is but so far I want to smash this disc against the wall. Okay maybe that's a little harsh but damn what the f@#k happned to these guys? Did they forget how to right a song with a good chorus? Sure there are a few good ones but overall I find most of the songs uncatchy.

Lets face it if this was their first album with no history behind them and no Rest in Sleaze or Generation Wild or even TUR(I love that disc) no one would be to thrilled with this album. So many are giving this a pass due to their legendary history as of the last 7 years but this disc just don't cut it for me at all. Again I've only spinned it once so hopefully it grows as most says it does but something it definately missing here.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• My Little Pony

After one spin this album is not very good at all. I am soooo dissapointed they don't sound like the same band at all.

The other 3 are so much better but I hope this is the grower everyone says it is but so far I want to smash this disc against the wall. Okay maybe that's a little harsh but damn what the f@#k happned to these guys? Did they forget how to right a song with a good chorus? Sure there are a few good ones but overall I find most of the songs uncatchy.

Lets face it if this was their first album with no history behind them and no Rest in Sleaze or Generation Wild or even TUR(I love that disc) no one would be to thrilled with this album. So many are giving this a pass due to their legendary history as of the last 7 years but this disc just don't cut it for me at all. Again I've only spinned it once so hopefully it grows as most says it does but something it definately missing here.

I'm with you, Wes. I'm really counting in this one to be a grower. I think many of us have gone soft, giving things a pass, because we want them to be great. I was guilty of it with Europe's "Bag of Bones," but I learnt my lesson. I don't have enough money to keep trying to fool myself.

I'm with you, Wes. I'm really counting in this one to be a grower. I think many of us have gone soft, giving things a pass, because we want them to be great. I was guilty of it with Europe's "Bag of Bones," but I learnt my lesson. I don't have enough money to keep trying to fool myself.

I agree with you 100%

I agree with you 100%

Upon first spin I found the disc so boring I ended up taking it out of the player half way through and putting in something else. I thought if I gave my ears a rest from it and came back to it later on I would be more impressed with it than I was the first time around. That was on Saturday. I still haven't given it a second try. I will for sure, but I just haven't had a want to give it another listen yet.

Some harsh words. I remember listening to it the second time through, stepping back for a moment and asking myself what I'd think of it if it was just a brand new band, and not the mighty Crashdiet. It didn't take me long to realise I'd still dig it.

As noted above, it is at least the 3rd best Crashdiet CD, if not their weakest. But I still think it's good stuff, despite the sound leaving a lot to be desired. I also think the lead vocals sound really different to 'GW' too.

That said, cousin Wes, I have seen some pretty wild first impressions from your good self that end up in a full 180 degree turn soon after. I will be interested to see if this is one of those cases.

I definitely wonder why they took such a big step back after GW, but I don't think it's as bad as the last few posts suggest, personally. If you realistically compare the songs to their peers at the moment, I doubt you'll find many better.

Backed. Sound issues aside, I think there are some really good tracks on here.

Would have loved to hear this with the same sound quality as GW tho. Will be interesting to see how the new tracks stack up live. Seeingthem

In April.

Maybe this came out too soon after GW and they should have taken their time to make sure the tunes were all killer stuff. I haven't listened to it yet but I'm about to. I'm going in with all opinions in the back of my mind. Hope it's better than some of you guys are saying. :(

Some harsh words. I remember listening to it the second time through, stepping back for a moment and asking myself what I'd think of it if it was just a brand new band, and not the mighty Crashdiet. It didn't take me long to realise I'd still dig it.

As noted above, it is at least the 3rd best Crashdiet CD, if not their weakest. But I still think it's good stuff, despite the sound leaving a lot to be desired. I also think the lead vocals sound really different to 'GW' too.

That said, cousin Wes, I have seen some pretty wild first impressions from your good self that end up in a full 180 degree turn soon after. I will be interested to see if this is one of those cases.

I definitely wonder why they took such a big step back after GW, but I don't think it's as bad as the last few posts suggest, personally. If you realistically compare the songs to their peers at the moment, I doubt you'll find many better.

Just to clarify Geoff, This is the first Crashdiet cd I have owned. I have heard a few other songs by the band but I've never dove in and given an entire album a spin. So I basically came into this as a new listener to a new band. I've heard this band compared to Crazy Lixx and for me just going by this album there is no way this band even touches the quality of music CL has released. From what I've read, Crashdiet's other albums are better when compared to this one, but I must say I am very disappointed in what I have heard so far.

Just to clarify Geoff, This is the first Crashdiet cd I have owned. I have heard a few other songs by the band but I've never dove in and given an entire album a spin. So I basically came into this as a new listener to a new band. I've heard this band compared to Crazy Lixx and for me just going by this album there is no way this band even touches the quality of music CL has released. From what I've read, Crashdiet's other albums are better when compared to this one, but I must say I am very disappointed in what I have heard so far.

Start with Rest in Sleaze....killer!

I'm going to have to...I need to find out what all the hype is about.

I'm going to have to...I need to find out what all the hype is about.

The hype has merit for sure. GW is also killer. I am not as excited about getting the new one now :(

Oh. My. God.

I'm sorry folks. This is hard to say but this disc sucks. I don't find anything memorable or killer on here at all. It would be a struggle to add ANY of these songs on to a Best Of Crashdiet compilation. Everything about this disc stinks. The drums sounds terrible. There is no bite in the guitars. The backing vocals are awful. The lead vocals aren't much better. Whoever produced this needs to be kicked in the balls. But it's not just the production here. The songs just aren't very good. This would be a bad "B Sides" disc. I love every Crashdiet release but this is by far their worst disc. It will be hard for me to play this again anytime soon. Very very disappointing.

My grades track-by-track on a scale from 1 to 10:

Change The World - 7/10

Cocaine Cowboys - 6/10

Anarchy - 7/10

California - 5/10

Lickin' Dog - 6/10

Circus - 6/10

Sin City - 8/10

Got A Reason - 6/10

Drinkin' Without You - 8/10

Snakes In Paradise - 6/10

Damaged Kid - 7/10

Excited - 6/10

Garden Of Babylon - 6/10

Liquid Jesus - 5/10

Very harsh indeed, even from my Mafia brothers.

I think you have to spin this a few times at a high volume to appreciate it. It certainly isn't outstanding but yikes, some good tunes on here IMO.

Most certainly we all agree the production is an issue here. I can get past that an really dig most of the tunes.

Garden of Babylon and Damaged Kid are the only songs I don't really care for. I love Snakes In Paradise, California, Sin City, Got A Reason.

Well, everyone brings a different opinion to the table and therefore we find all these bands some of us love, some us don't.

Very harsh indeed, even from my Mafia brothers.

I think you have to spin this a few times at a high volume to appreciate it. It certainly isn't outstanding but yikes, some good tunes on here IMO.

Most certainly we all agree the production is an issue here. I can get past that an really dig most of the tunes.

Garden of Babylon and Damaged Kid are the only songs I don't really care for. I love Snakes In Paradise, California, Sin City, Got A Reason.

Well, everyone brings a different opinion to the table and therefore we find all these bands some of us love, some us don't.

Well, at least 1/2 of the Mafia is in agreement. I side with Jeff. I really enjoy this album. While I would agree that Rest In Sleaze and Generation Wild are better discs, this is hardly a throwaway collection of tunes. To add to my Mafia Brother's songs that I think standout are Anarchy, Drinkin Without You and Sin City. I spin this one front to back, no skipping of tracks. I have a hard time saying that with alot of the new music nowadays.

I agree with Jarrod. Evil, start with Rest In Sleaze and then go to Generation Wild. I don't think you'll be disappointed in those two discs at all.

My 2nd spin has been much better. Still not as good as Id hoped but it is growing. Anarchy is my favorite tune.

Okay it's getting better but still their worst album IMO. Is it me or do some of these tunes have a slightly more punky and maybe even new wave type melodies?

I really dig the following tunes "Change the World", "Cocaine Cowboys", "Anarchy", "California", "Lickin Dog", "Circus", "Sin City", "Drinking Without You". The rest have sunken in yet and "Snakes in Paradise" just frustrates me to hell. It's got this cool groove and then chorus just leaves me cold. I'm expecting him to scream or something to make the tune seem heavier but the whisper throws me off.

• My Little Pony

My 2nd spin has been much better. Still not as good as Id hoped but it is growing. Anarchy is my favorite tune.

Okay it's getting better but still their worst album IMO. Is it me or do some of these tunes have a slightly more punky and maybe even new wave type melodies?

I really dig the following tunes "Change the World", "Cocaine Cowboys", "Anarchy", "California", "Lickin Dog", "Circus", "Sin City", "Drinking Without You". The rest have sunken in yet and "Snakes in Paradise" just frustrates me to hell. It's got this cool groove and then chorus just leaves me cold. I'm expecting him to scream or something to make the tune seem heavier but the whisper throws me off.

Yep, I'm on my second spin. I should say I don't hate it, and I'm sure it'll grow on me, it's just not grabbing me by the balls. This is definitely Crashdiet's "Tinnitus Sanctum." I hope they realize, like Edguy, that slick production is a good thing.

One thing, I must add, "Garden of Babylon" is my favourite track, so far. I know many of you will say some shit like, it's too experimental, and the like, but, for me, it's one of the ballsiest tracks on offer. And was that a sitar I heard? Or am I just losing my mind?--more than usual.

The whisper is what makes it so cool. Great track!

Quite disappointed with the production of this one, and this is coming from (most likely) the biggest crashdiet fan on th board.

I think there are some great tracks on here and i agree... a lot of them are growers, but i think the production is really gonna hold this album back.

Quite disappointed with the production of this one, and this is coming from (most likely) the biggest crashdiet fan on th board.

I think there are some great tracks on here and i agree... a lot of them are growers, but i think the production is really gonna hold this album back.

Agree. I like the new Crazy Lixx a lot,but I think the production on that one wasn't great.

Agreed!! Especially the production with the drums. Hopefully this production issue is not becoming a trend with these Swedish sleaze bands. If it is , I hoping Hardcore Superstar bucks the trend.