Crashdiet - The Savage Playground

Stefan

Yeah, my version doesn't have 'Liquid Jesus' either so I don't know it.

'Rebel' was the 2nd weakest song on GW, Dave? Yowser! Possibly my favourite song on the CD.

Just goes to show how good GW was.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Rebel' was the 2nd weakest song on GW, Dave? Yowser! Possibly my favourite song on the CD.

Rebel was the weakest track for me. Just a solid hard rocker - prob 8/10 at a push. Also I wouldn't give Chemical a 10. I like the song but the chorus does wear a bit thin after a while - not what I listen to Crashdiet for lol.

My favs are the likes of Riot In Everyone or Down In The Dust. The debut is still the best by the way.

Rebel was the weakest track for me. Just a solid hard rocker - prob 8/10 at a push. Also I wouldn't give Chemical a 10. I like the song but the chorus does wear a bit thin after a while - not what I listen to Crashdiet for lol.

My favs are the likes of Riot In Everyone or Down In The Dust. The debut is still the best by the way.

I love 'Chemical' - chorus is killer. Nothing wrong at all with Crashdiet doing something that massive. Yeah, to each their own, but I considered it properly, and I would call 'Rebel' my favourite track off GW. Probably 'Armageddon,' 'Save Her,' 'Down with the dust,' 'Chemical' and 'Bound to fall' would be next. Probably. But yeah, 'Rebel' is basically exactly the song I want to hear when I pick up a CD. I could make babies with that riff.

I love 'Chemical' - chorus is killer. Nothing wrong at all with Crashdiet doing something that massive. Yeah, to each their own, but I considered it properly, and I would call 'Rebel' my favourite track off GW. Probably 'Armageddon,' 'Save Her,' 'Down with the dust,' 'Chemical' and 'Bound to fall' would be next. Probably. But yeah, 'Rebel' is basically exactly the song I want to hear when I pick up a CD. I could make babies with that riff.

Making babies to that riff, the song is like only 3 minutes long...I guess that's good enough for you. ;)

Chemical is massive and the chorus is quite possibly the best chorus of the 21st century....that and Wildest Dreams from Brother Firetribe. I never get sick of Chemical. I made a great mix of 2012 tunes cd for my car and I just had to sneak Chemical in there...and that cd came out in 2010.

I've been spinning Savage Playground constantly for the past few days and it is getting better and better...well the music isn't getting better, I'm just liking it more and more. Still think Lickin' Dog is a filler and Garden is to long and that the bonus track does not belong...but I'm actually not stopping it when it plays.

Anarchy is still the anthem and my pick, however my wife and my son look at me like I've got 2 heads when I sing scream the chorus in the house.

the riff is fine and yeah it is hard rocking, but the chorus is the weakest on the cd and basically no hook, so can only push an 8 for me :-)

The song I want to hear when I pick up a crashdiet cd is 'Its A Miracle', by far their best song imo.

the riff is fine and yeah it is hard rocking, but the chorus is the weakest on the cd and basically no hook, so can only push an 8 for me :-)

The song I want to hear when I pick up a crashdiet cd is 'Its A Miracle', by far their best song imo.

I agree it's arguably their best song to date. Funny choice to pick such a commercial tune, though, as I thought that was why you weren't too enthused by 'Chemical' - because it is so melodic and commercial and not the harder edge stuff one expects from Crashdiet? Either way, they do it all well, so I'm happy for them to record whatever they like... as long as they get someone who knows what they're doing in the producer's seat next time.

Just got 'Rebel' playing as I type - perfection.

Yeah dont get me wrong I do very much like Chemical (as I do the rest of GW). My only gripe is that the chorus is just a bit over the top.....not a bad thing but just grinds a bit with me. Love the solo etc tho in that song.

'its A Miracle' is just perfection for me..........I do love the hard rocking style of the debut but that song is just something special.

On a side note the guys who produced GW - Ram Pac, see they did a load of rap etc before. Did a good job on GW tho.

Yeah dont get me wrong I do very much like Chemical (as I do the rest of GW). My only gripe is that the chorus is just a bit over the top.....not a bad thing but just grinds a bit with me. Love the solo etc tho in that song.

'its A Miracle' is just perfection for me..........I do love the hard rocking style of the debut but that song is just something special.

On a side note the guys who produced GW - Ram Pac, see they did a load of rap etc before. Did a good job on GW tho.

Agreed..It's A Miracle is the best song they ever did. Just perfection!

Garden of Babylon is actually can be a great song if they kick out some of the unnecessary whispery stuff and probably cut them significantly. At least, some part of it is really great, but maybe the song will be better when played live ?

Garden of Babylon is actually can be a great song if they kick out some of the unnecessary whispery stuff and probably cut them significantly. At least, some part of it is really great, but maybe the song will be better when played live ?

That's probably spot on. It was Garden of Babylon and Damaged Kid being the only songs that originally didn't care for. Damaged Kid has finally grown and me and PARTS of Garden have grown on me...but just when I get into it, then it drags. So yeah, get it down to 4 minutes and down to the bare rock n roll and there ya have it.

Just a few comments on 'Garden Of Babylon'.

This song annoys me. It is growing on me and I do like the chorus but there is no need for this song to be over 7 mins long. Crashdiet being experimental is not necessary IMO. Basically IMO a kick arse solo should kick in at 3.30 and then chorus to end at no more than 5 mins. Good song everyone's happy.

I bet they play it live too :-( if they do I will go for a piss break lol.

Ok rant over.

Here u go guys - my earlier thoughts on how this song should sound ;-)

I like the song quite a lot, but totally agree it is in desperate need of an edit. 4-5mins absolute max and it would be one of the best songs on the disc.

I like the song quite a lot, but totally agree it is in desperate need of an edit. 4-5mins absolute max and it would be one of the best songs on the disc.

I've been listening to Garden Of Babylon and it all of a sudden came to me, the sound of this track, especially the groovy tone and the riffs are pure modern day LILLIAN AXE...very much so. Geoff likes something that sounds like modern day LILLIAN AXE...HA!HA!

The Savage Playground is the perfect example of great tunes with shit production. I can't even make a mix of tunes from this one and GW, the sound is so off from release to the other that it makes for a terrible mixed cd.

• My Little Pony

I've been listening to Garden Of Babylon and it all of a sudden came to me, the sound of this track, especially the groovy tone and the riffs are pure modern day LILLIAN AXE...very much so. Geoff likes something that sounds like modern day LILLIAN AXE...HA!HA!

The Savage Playground is the perfect example of great tunes with shit production. I can't even make a mix of tunes from this one and GW, the sound is so off from release to the other that it makes for a terrible mixed cd.

I like that you guys are finally coming around and realizing the brilliance of this track. Even if you aren't exactly coming out and saying that. It's my favourite from the album.

Oh. My. God.

I'm sorry folks. This is hard to say but this disc sucks. I don't find anything memorable or killer on here at all. It would be a struggle to add ANY of these songs on to a Best Of Crashdiet compilation. Everything about this disc stinks. The drums sounds terrible. There is no bite in the guitars. The backing vocals are awful. The lead vocals aren't much better. Whoever produced this needs to be kicked in the balls. But it's not just the production here. The songs just aren't very good. This would be a bad "B Sides" disc. I love every Crashdiet release but this is by far their worst disc. It will be hard for me to play this again anytime soon. Very very disappointing.

My grades track-by-track on a scale from 1 to 10:

Change The World - 7/10

Cocaine Cowboys - 6/10

Anarchy - 7/10

California - 5/10

Lickin' Dog - 6/10

Circus - 6/10

Sin City - 8/10

Got A Reason - 6/10

Drinkin' Without You - 8/10

Snakes In Paradise - 6/10

Damaged Kid - 7/10

Excited - 6/10

Garden Of Babylon - 6/10

Liquid Jesus - 5/10

After multiple spins and the disc did grow on me. Updated grades:

Change The World - 8/10

Cocaine Cowboys - 7/10

Anarchy - 8/10

California - 7.5/10

Lickin' Dog - 6/10

Circus - 7.5/10

Sin City - 8/10

Got A Reason - 7/10

Drinkin' Without You - 8.5/10

Snakes In Paradise - 7/10

Damaged Kid - 7/10

Excited - 7/10

Garden Of Babylon - 7/10

Liquid Jesus - 5/10

Guest glamsbian

I didn't like the album at all. :/ Ever since Dave died they've been moving closer and closer to generic alternative rock. Being one of my favorite bands, this was a huge disappointment.

I didn't like the album at all. :/ Ever since Dave died they've been moving closer and closer to generic alternative rock. Being one of my favorite bands, this was a huge disappointment.

Whatnow? You sure you have the right CDs? The ones with "Crashdiet" written on the front?

100% disagree with that comment, I must say. Cannot hear even a remote trace of alternative rock in their sound at all - not an ounce.

Whatnow? You sure you have the right CDs? The ones with "Crashdiet" written on the front?

100% disagree with that comment, I must say. Cannot hear even a remote trace of alternative rock in their sound at all - not an ounce.

I have to agree Geoff, NOT even remotely alternative sounding at all !

• 1 month later...

Finally got this disc to sound good - set up my old demon amp with arcam cd and big Senn cans.

Hearing the detail now - sounds pretty damned good actually.

The beginning of Excited sounds great!! & Snakes.

This disc is still firmly in my top 10.