Crashdiet - The Savage Playground

Stefan

It is not bad and growing on me, but GW is much better imo. Side note ,really liking the new PC69!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point I think they could have axed Track 1 and 13...not terrible tunes but not really that great either. The rest of it is excellent. Starting at Anarchy, track 3 through Snakes In Paradise, track 10, is the strongest part of the album for me.

I agree with Glen and embrock. "Gleaming" is a good way to describe what GW has and this one does not. And I agree that the vocals do seem to get lost at times.

The packaging....I ordered this from the band, pre-order, and it came as a hard case CD (aka not a digi), The package overall is done up to standards, with lyrics, quality print, etc. They autographed the very center booklet which has a pic of each of them, so they signed their pic.

I see there is a JAPAN version available, but don't see a bonus track. Anyone get the JP release?

\m/

I have the Japanese cd on order. No info available on cdjapan.com but both of the other releases released in Japan had bonus tracks so I bet it has one or two. If it does I will post them on my website so everyone can check it out.

At this point I think they could have axed Track 1 and 13...not terrible tunes but not really that great either. The rest of it is excellent. Starting at Anarchy, track 3 through Snakes In Paradise, track 10, is the strongest part of the album for me.

I agree with Glen and embrock. "Gleaming" is a good way to describe what GW has and this one does not. And I agree that the vocals do seem to get lost at times.

The packaging....I ordered this from the band, pre-order, and it came as a hard case CD (aka not a digi), The package overall is done up to standards, with lyrics, quality print, etc. They autographed the very center booklet which has a pic of each of them, so they signed their pic.

I see there is a JAPAN version available, but don't see a bonus track. Anyone get the JP release?

\m/

I have the Japanese cd on order. No info available on cdjapan.com but both of the other releases released in Japan had bonus tracks so I bet it has one or two. If it does I will post them on my website so everyone can check it out.

Its called Liquid Jesus.

\m/

Its called Liquid Jesus.

'Liquid Jesus' is on the Euro vers. as well.

On a side note: Peter London wrote in the Crashdiet Forum that someday they would release the demos of all tracks that didn't make it onto Generation Wild (and hopefully those of Savage Playground as well). Their vaults must be quite huge (50+ tracks written for GW; 30+ for SP)...Crashdiet are one of very few bands who really treat their fans the right way imo in always giving them a little more than others.

What a grower Savage Playground is! :guitar:

• My Little Pony

I'm really hoping this one grows on me, too. I made the mistake of playing this back to back with "The Unattractive Revolution." Forget about "Generation Wild" for a minute, even "The Unattractive Revolution" blows the new one out of the water. But I'm hopeful.

I'm really hoping this one grows on me, too. I made the mistake of playing this back to back with "The Unattractive Revolution." Forget about "Generation Wild" for a minute, even "The Unattractive Revolution" blows the new one out of the water. But I'm hopeful.

Wow, surprised to read that! IMO The Unattractive Revolution is by far their weakest album to date, although 'In the Raw' and especially 'Falling Rain' belong to my favourite Crashdiet songs. I'm pretty sure TSP will grow on you, it probably takes about 3 spins (well, it took 3 spins for me :tumbsup: )...

\m/

The Japanese version bonus track is titled "Liquid Jesus."

My copy has got Liquid Jesus and it ain't Jap - either that or it a f cheap Jap!!

It's a shit song anyway lol.

Well not shit, but a filler for sure by Crashdiet's standards.

Wow, surprised to read that! IMO The Unattractive Revolution is by far their weakest album to date, although 'In the Raw' and especially 'Falling Rain' belong to my favourite Crashdiet songs. I'm pretty sure TSP will grow on you, it probably takes about 3 spins (well, it took 3 spins for me :tumbsup: )...

For the record 'Die Another Day' is the best song on that record.

And I think it's a great album - almost on a par with GW IMO.

The debut still rules tho ;-)

\m/

My copy has got Liquid Jesus and it ain't Jap - either that or it a f cheap Jap!!

So, if it's not the Japan version, why isn't it on the standard version?? Anyone know if maybe it's a bonus cut for downloads of the album??

\m/

So, if it's not the Japan version, why isn't it on the standard version?? Anyone know if maybe it's a bonus cut for downloads of the album??

Mine has got a sticker on the back but nothing which would identify it as Jap. Also it was £9 delivered which is way cheap for Jap.

'Liquid Jesus' is on the Euro vers. as well.

My cd was directly from the band website as a preorder, shipped out of Sweden. Would that not be considered the Euro version? Mine does not have the bonus track on it. I guess when Mullethead gets his in the mail we will know. Liquid Jesus is just ok anyway, but with download versions, Japan, Euro, US, Intergalactic and etc, etc. releases its hard to keep track.

Just got mine in the mail, making for an exciting afternoon and noticed it's 13 tracks without the 'Liquid Jesus' track, so I guess I'll download that one. I got a badge with it, though! :lol:

I agree, it is their weakest easily.

\m/

Mine has got a sticker on the back but nothing which would identify it as Jap. Also it was £9 delivered which is way cheap for Jap.

Japanese CDs come with an obi strip on the outside as well as Japanese and English lyrics sheet. You would know if you had it. As soon as I get mine I will confirm the track.

\m/

Japanese CDs come with an obi strip on the outside as well as Japanese and English lyrics sheet. You would know if you had it. As soon as I get mine I will confirm the track.

Yeah I know what Jap usually looks like - I have many. Think Jez has cleared this up by the euro version having the bonus track - not really worth discussing as its the weakest track in any case.

It's a bit early for folk to be labelling the album as their weakest - I've only listened to it 5 times as opposed to 100s with the other albums lol.

It's a massive grower though

It may be early to label it their weakest, but anyone with a set of ears will confirm that it is certainly inferior to the debut and GW. I doubt that will be disputed anywhere.

That said, I really like the disc. The production really caught me off guard. It is by no means "bad" at all, but I find it really quite muddy, and you notice it heavily when you put it on after any well produced, crisp sounding CD. Guitars and vocals need to be higher in the mix and although the rhythm section sounds good, it just needs a bigger (for lack of a better word) presence. That said, once it's playing a few songs in, it sounds good.

I think the songs are very good, and so far I've only played it twice back to back. 'Anarchy' is without doubt my favourite song, and 'Drinkin' without you' was another early pick. Nothing I disliked at all, though without a doubt, for me, the weakest song is that single, 'Cocaine Cowboy.' Whoever picked that out of all these songs as the single was definitely on an evident cocaine trip.

Anyway, no doubt at all that this will grow the more I spin it - it had that feel immediately. But this is my biggest and only real "issue" with the CD:

It is nowhere near as heavy as GW. Seriously, I'm not sure what the ballsiest song on the CD is yet, but you put that song on the stereo alongside 'Rebel' off GW and you could be listening to two different bands. GW just destroyed your face and ate it for the duration of the time it was on the stereo. It was just loud, aggressive, in your face, heavy, hard rock.

The new one has the riffs and the attitude, but it's like it's been slightly castrated. Jeff said something above about tweaking the volume to get the best out of it. That was me today, I just kept putting the volume up, trying to get the best and heaviest sound. But I never got that truly ballsy sound that 'GW' instantly has, no matter how high I turned up the volume. And alternatively, you could play GW at mid volume and you'd still feel that power.

I know I'm probably talking nonsense, as always, but that's how I felt. Very good album which will rate very high for me. But a fact is a fact, and for me, this is an inferior album in every way to GW, great as this one may turn out to be anyway.

It may be early to label it their weakest, but anyone with a set of ears will confirm that it is certainly inferior to the debut and GW. I doubt that will be disputed anywhere.

That said, I really like the disc. The production really caught me off guard. It is by no means "bad" at all, but I find it really quite muddy, and you notice it heavily when you put it on after any well produced, crisp sounding CD. Guitars and vocals need to be higher in the mix and although the rhythm section sounds good, it just needs a bigger (for lack of a better word) presence. That said, once it's playing a few songs in, it sounds good.

I think the songs are very good, and so far I've only played it twice back to back. 'Anarchy' is without doubt my favourite song, and 'Drinkin' without you' was another early pick. Nothing I disliked at all, though without a doubt, for me, the weakest song is that single, 'Cocaine Cowboy.' Whoever picked that out of all these songs as the single was definitely on an evident cocaine trip.

Anyway, no doubt at all that this will grow the more I spin it - it had that feel immediately. But this is my biggest and only real "issue" with the CD:

It is nowhere near as heavy as GW. Seriously, I'm not sure what the ballsiest song on the CD is yet, but you put that song on the stereo alongside 'Rebel' off GW and you could be listening to two different bands. GW just destroyed your face and ate it for the duration of the time it was on the stereo. It was just loud, aggressive, in your face, heavy, hard rock.

The new one has the riffs and the attitude, but it's like it's been slightly castrated. Jeff said something above about tweaking the volume to get the best out of it. That was me today, I just kept putting the volume up, trying to get the best and heaviest sound. But I never got that truly ballsy sound that 'GW' instantly has, no matter how high I turned up the volume. And alternatively, you could play GW at mid volume and you'd still feel that power.

I know I'm probably talking nonsense, as always, but that's how I felt. Very good album which will rate very high for me. But a fact is a fact, and for me, this is an inferior album in every way to GW, great as this one may turn out to be anyway.

I've spun it a few times online and I'm with you. It's a really good album, but Generation Wild blows it away in every sense possible. I'm still anxious to get the hard copy Savage Playground in a couple of weeks.

\m/

Yeah I know what Jap usually looks like - I have many. Think Jez has cleared this up by the euro version having the bonus track - not really worth discussing as its the weakest track in any case.

It's a bit early for folk to be labelling the album as their weakest - I've only listened to it 5 times as opposed to 100s with the other albums lol.

It's a massive grower though

Just clear up my quote, the weakest album I was referring to was revolution, not the new cd.

I do agree with virtually everything that has been said.

The word Geoff is looking for is 'compressed'. A horrible word and one which should not even come within a million years of Crashdiet!

I do predict the apparent 'gulf' between this and GW (or more importantly this and the debut......which is bigger by the way!) narrowing with repeated listens as these songs do get to you.......they all have their own nice hook.

But yeah nothing will change the fact that all 3 previous albums sounded better.

What I do find though is that this really rocks, so your comment surprises me Geoff. I mean the end of Change The World is far heavier imo than any moment on GW.

I do agree with virtually everything that has been said.

The word Geoff is looking for is 'compressed'. A horrible word and one which should not even come within a million years of Crashdiet!

I do predict the apparent 'gulf' between this and GW (or more importantly this and the debut......which is bigger by the way!) narrowing with repeated listens as these songs do get to you.......they all have their own nice hook.

But yeah nothing will change the fact that all 3 previous albums sounded better.

What I do find though is that this really rocks, so your comment surprises me Geoff. I mean the end of Change The World is far heavier imo than any moment on GW.

It's not that the band themselves are softer, or writing AOR or anything - nothing to do with them or the CD not "rocking."

It's just the sound that the album promotes. You're probably spot on with this term, that the album sounds "compressed." Seriously, just play 'Rebel' and 'Change the World' one after another and tell me the new song sounds heavier. It may have been supposed to be heavier, but whatever sound restrictions this album has, it ensures that it just doesn't sound as heavy as GW, regardless of how the song is written or played. This "compression" you speak of seems to have taken away the meat from the guitars, and the monstrosity of the rhythm section, which was perfectly displayed on GW.

Yep cant argue with that. Shame innit :-(

Still got these songs on rotation in my mind.

And before you say it, yes....imagine how good it could have been.

Based on two spins, I agree that it's weaker than GW and the debut, and still two steps better than TUR which remains their weakest to date. I also agree that the production has been a slight issue for me, it's a bit buried, and muddy also might be a good point. The first two songs aren't the good pick by the band as it's among their weakest. I still slightly prefer 'Change The World' to 'Cocaine', but 'Anarchy' is better and probably should be good if they put it out as the opening track.

But my most fave track here are 'Circus' and 'Drinkin' Without You'. I gave the first 9 and 'Drinkin' a solid 10. Third best track for me here is 'Sin City', and then followed by 'Excited', 'Got A Reason', and 'Damaged Kid'. Lots of great riffs thrown in here, but sadly there are at least 7 tracks that's in the 7 - 7.5 range (include the first two). 'Lickin' Dog', 'Snakes In Paradise', and 'Garden of Babylon' are the weakest tracks and 'Garden' might be better if it's squeezed into 4 or 5 minutes top. The CD on Amazon didn't contain 'Liquid Jesus' so I got the track from download, and surprisingly, I like that one. A little punkish with a very good intro and chorus.

Overall, slightly below my expectation (I'm hoping for it to hit above 85%) but then based on the first single that's released earlier, I didn't raise my hope too much though. Let's see how it goes after 4-5 more spins later but for now, it's ..

81%