Heaven's Basement - Filthy Empire

Stefan

I loved them when they were Hurricane Party, then Roadstar and the first E.P they did as Heaven's Basement. The 2nd EP. it has to be said wasn't great, more of a modern sound (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just the songs weren't any good).So now we now have to wait until next year...grrrrrr.. just wish that they would pull their finger out and get this damned album out....way way too long in my book. It better be bloody good!!

• 1 month later...

'Filthy Empire' release date is February 5th.

230019_10151238863414526_1871084950_n.jp

Tracklist:

1. Welcome Home
2. Fire, Fire
3. Nothing Left To Lose
4. When The Lights Go Out In London
5. I Am Electric
6. The Long Goodbye
7. Heartbreaking Son of a Bitch
8. Be Somebody
9. Can’t Let Go
10. The Price We Pay
11. Jump Back
12. Executioner’s Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybSUJsgeTMI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXU3Qt_qvaY

Pretty sure I've disliked everything by this band to date, but 'Fire fire' is a pretty good rocker and I love 'The long goodbye.' 'I am electric' also gets brought into line by a pretty good chorus too. Sounds like something worth checking out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

'Executioners Day' is a great tune..if a bit of an old one from the 2008 EP.

Is the version on 'Filthy Empire' perhaps a new version?

Yeah It sounds a little different, but I would have thought they could fill an album with all new tunes tbh. Not to worry, hopefully the album will be excellent..it should be after the wait we have had for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Received this one today and damn there are quite a few songs which are simply outstanding!

Overall a great debut album and hopefully more bands are going to take their approach (= lots of touring; working with a top producer; write plenty of songs)...

Oh it's out now ? Okay will look for samples, sounds promising

Received this one today and damn there are quite a few songs which are simply outstanding!

Overall a great debut album and hopefully more bands are going to take their approach (= lots of touring; working with a top producer; write plenty of songs)...

Oh it's out now ? Okay will look for samples, sounds promising

Officially on Monday I guess, but I got it delivered today.

Samples are up on amazon or you may want to try these as they don't omit the choruses the way amazon often does:

http://www.cede.ch/go/?m=music&id=988327&lang=de

That build-up in 'Nothing left to lose' after the second chorus is one of the most epic moments in rock music in the last 20 years imo - Love it!

Fire, Fire and Nothing Left To Lose sound really good!

I must admit I have low expectation when I'm spinning this because of the alternative/hard rock description but after one single spin yesterday and followed by another one this morning, this is really a strong and possibly grower album. I notice a lot of variation goin' on, and the alternative hooks is there but very minimal, in fact it's more of a modern hard rock but also lush of melodies here and there, and hats off to Aaron Buchanan the singer, what a monstrous vocal and I love Sid Glover's riffs and solos too.

Best part of this album IMHO are the opening tune, 'Welcome Home', the mid-paced 'Nothing Left To Lose', 'The Long Goodbye' has an amazing intro riffs, you strangely can feel the Nirvana - Nevermind hooks on the verse but it quickly built up to an extremely melodic chorus - very clever arrangement; the second half is mostly stronger. The acoustical ballad of 'The Price We Pay' is very smooth and soothing, love it and also the radio friendly ballad, 'Be Somebody' has big potential. The last two tracks are also great, and might bordering traditional heavy metal.

The production is also very good, musicianship is strong, and replay value is high. I guess I don't mind the modern touch because it's mainly comprised of traditional hard rock hooks. Looks like the rating can go higher, we'll see later. Recommended!

83%