Kids & Guns

66 mustang

OK, I know there are a lot of differnet views on here but I have a question, and If I'm wrong I'm a big boy and can take it. Do you see any problem with the following situation?

I take my 9mm out to clean it. The clip is out, the chamber is empty. The only thing I'm doing with the gun is cleaning it then it is getting put back up. My 8 year old daughter walks into the room while I'm cleaning it, with the clip out and chamer is still empty. checked the chamber twice to make sure. Is there a problem with the child walking into the room as the gun is being cleaned, by an adult that has made sure the gun in empty.

I think it is best for them to learn not to be afraid of a gun but also learn it is not a toy. To be taught to be safe and not to keep it a mystery and they get curious and discover from the wrong source.

I guess I'm from a time where we grew up with guns, dad was a hunter and it was normal for him to clean his gun in the kitchen after he came home from the woods.

and I can't find how to make this into a poll.

I'd say that this is up to the parent of the child. Personally I would try to get the gun cleaned while my son wasn't home or maybe even while he was asleep.

Just a couple months ago a boy my son plays baseball with was involved in an accident involving a gun. His family has been around guns for generations.. It's a way of life for them. My son's frieand , Chason, has been hospitalized for over 3 months now. They didn't give him much hope of survival when the medivaced him to John's Hopkins Hospital. It now looks like he will survive but will never be able to play baseball or do many other things his friends will.

I'd guess if you set up a poll it would be 50/50 with a few on the fence... I'd be one of those on the fence.

If you are going to own guns and have them in a home where there are kids, they should be educated about them so they don't see them as toys. I also think that the guns need to be locked away in a gun case so they won't be tempted. So I don't believe you did anything wrong...

• My Little Pony

If you are going to own guns and have them in a home where there are kids, they should be educated about them so they don't see them as toys. I also think that the guns need to be locked away in a gun case so they won't be tempted. So I don't believe you did anything wrong...

Yessir. You're Canadian, right--I'm on my phone so it doesn't show. We have very strict gun laws. Most of them are ridiculous and irrational, but the ones pertaining to storage and safety are great. I believe in teaching children--and anyone not familiar or comfortable with firearms--proper handling and general safety with firearms. I'm sorry to hear about that incident, Dave, but if proper measures are taken, there should never be any problems.

Agreed. I do not have kids but I have guns. I grew up in a household of hunters and uncles, cousins, that had guns. My dad let me shoot 22 rifle, 22 pistol, 20 gauge shotgun, 12 gauge shotgun, crossbow, recurv, compound bow, etc. The only gun he didn't let me get near was some fancy revolver with an engraving on it (I don't know why this gun was so special or why I could not learn it). Guess which gun I was always wanting to get my hands on and would look to see if it was unlocked though I knew nothing about using it? The revolver. Yeah, educate, safety, eliminate curiosity with learning.

I used to walk in on my Dad cleaning his gun all the time.. Wait! was it his gun or his.... :yikes:

:rofl2:

But seriously folks... I don't own a gun, I have no plans on ever owning a gun unless I have to move to the ghetto, so my opinion probably doesn't mean sh*t. On the other hand I live in a fairly rural area where there are lots of hunters/gun owners so I like to think I'm fairly well versed in "gun culture." In my book, they're like any other tool... if they're handled properly by people who know what they're doing, everything's gonna be fine. If morons fool around with'em someone's going to get hurt.

My son is gonna be 10 in just a few weeks and he has a couple of friends at school who go deer hunting with their Dads every season. He's not into it, neither am I, but if that's what floats their boat and they're careful about it, more power to'em.

• My Little Pony

I used to walk in on my Dad cleaning his gun all the time.. Wait! was it his gun or his.... :yikes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Nf8oR_YrU

I don't think there's really anything wrong with the above situation, I guess, if the gone is a necessity.

But as above, Canadian gun laws are spoken about... they're probably even stricter in Australia, I'd guess. I certainly don't own one, nor would I ever plan to own one, and nor would I want a kid of mine to really have anything at all to do with guns either. But that's just a lifestyle thing, I guess. There is no need for guns in any part of my life and I'm more than happy that way. :)

I personally just think guns are plain wrong, but my opinion probably isn't worth shit in this debate.

A world without religion or guns would be a hell of a better place, that's for sure. :)

Jeez I'm deep.

I personally just think guns are plain wrong, but my opinion probably isn't worth shit in this debate.

A world without religion or guns would be a hell of a better place, that's for sure. :)

Jeez I'm deep.

I can't see you as a skynyrd fan but you would just hate their song God & Guns :whistle:

Jeez I'm deep.

I can't see you as a skynyrd fan but you would just hate their song God & Guns :whistle:

A world without religion or guns or Lynard Skynard would be a hell of a better place, that's for sure. :)