The Interesting Thread!

Glen

Re brewing beer, that is definitely something I will be trying in a couple of years time - just no time at mo with my boys at 3, but at some point it's a definite for me!

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re brewing beer, that is definitely something I will be trying in a couple of years time - just no time at mo with my boys at 3, but at some point it's a definite for me!

Yeah, get into it. As I said, though, doesn't take that much time out of your schedule at all. My mate I was talking about who's a brewing wildman is nursing his first kid which is almost 2 now... but he's been able to juggle new fatherhood with brewing with no issue at all. Seriously mate, get into it. :) I think if we have kids I'll only get even more into my brewing, if anything. ;)

I really want to win the lottery..........

Sorry, this is The Interesting Thread. You appear to want The Truism Thread. ;)

I really want to win the lottery..........

Sorry, this is The Interesting Thread. You appear to want The Truism Thread. ;)

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Have I ever mentioned here that I'm totally into brewing my own beer these days. Just drinking my 4th batch now, with 60 x 700ml bottles settling as we speak. Thankfully, each batch has been better than the last. This new one, a fine pale ale, is quite magnificent, if I dare say so myself. :)

That is definitely interesting. I've never tried it - is it loads of work? Did you buy kits or something? How long does it take?

I might have to have a go at this at some point. Beer = happy!

Honestly mate, not much work at all. It truly isn't. The biggest pain in the ass, I admit, is the bottling stage.

And yes, my wife bought me a kit for Christmas (thanks, my love!) and I've not looked back. It's pretty easy, mate. In a nutshell, you pour the contents of a syrup tin, 1kg of sugar and 23 litres of water into a big tub. Stir it around, add some hops and wheat flavour enhancement if you so desire (for fine pale ales in particular), sprinkle the yeast in last and then just leave that thing for a week. Get a couple of measurements a week later and then bottle it, store it and wait.

So from day one to the day of your first sip, ideally, it's about 7 weeks. I was drinking them excitedly after 2 weeks with my first batch, but when I let them sit for a few more weeks, the flavour enhancement is worth the time in gold. But if you keep several batches on the go at ones, my plan is to never buy beer again as I hope to always have my own perfectly brewed supply. It's a lot of fun playing around with and perfecting the flavours. :)

Hey Geoff,been doing this for a few years now and i love it.Have a try of the Munich Lager,it's a top brew and the pale ale is nice.K Mart has this new brew barrel that holds 30 litres and is around $40 for the full set up,i'm thinking of giving it a go.

30 litres would be sweet. Most ingredients are set up nicely for the 23L, though, and I do like convenience. :)

Munich Lager you say? I know the name, but have not tried it. I do like my pale ales... ;)

Do you guys have Country Brewer shops in Vic? Awesome small chain we have up here in Sydney. A home brewer's delight.

Out of curiosity, aside from the syrup, sugar (brew enhancer or whatever it may be) and yeast, what other ingredients do you use? I've been adding hops (in form of a "tea bag" of sorts) and 150g packs of varying grains for flavour enhancement (added through a sive). Still haven't got it exactly as flavoursome as I'd like and always looking for tips.

• My Little Pony

Have I ever mentioned here that I'm totally into brewing my own beer these days. Just drinking my 4th batch now, with 60 x 700ml bottles settling as we speak. Thankfully, each batch has been better than the last. This new one, a fine pale ale, is quite magnificent, if I dare say so myself. :)

That is definitely interesting. I've never tried it - is it loads of work? Did you buy kits or something? How long does it take?

I might have to have a go at this at some point. Beer = happy!

Honestly mate, not much work at all. It truly isn't. The biggest pain in the ass, I admit, is the bottling stage.

And yes, my wife bought me a kit for Christmas (thanks, my love!) and I've not looked back. It's pretty easy, mate. In a nutshell, you pour the contents of a syrup tin, 1kg of sugar and 23 litres of water into a big tub. Stir it around, add some hops and wheat flavour enhancement if you so desire (for fine pale ales in particular), sprinkle the yeast in last and then just leave that thing for a week. Get a couple of measurements a week later and then bottle it, store it and wait.

So from day one to the day of your first sip, ideally, it's about 7 weeks. I was drinking them excitedly after 2 weeks with my first batch, but when I let them sit for a few more weeks, the flavour enhancement is worth the time in gold. But if you keep several batches on the go at ones, my plan is to never buy beer again as I hope to always have my own perfectly brewed supply. It's a lot of fun playing around with and perfecting the flavours. :)

Hey Geoff,been doing this for a few years now and i love it.Have a try of the Munich Lager,it's a top brew and the pale ale is nice.K Mart has this new brew barrel that holds 30 litres and is around $40 for the full set up,i'm thinking of giving it a go.

I had my buddy's equipment for nearly a year and never used it. Three weeks ago, I went on vacation one weekend, and, when I came back, my brother had a batch going. A pale ale from Brew House. I'm so excited to start doing this. My buddy wants his shit back, so I'll have to buy it myself.

I've done a little researching, and Brew House looks like a good company. Coopers is also recommended. What have you guys been using?

30 litres would be sweet. Most ingredients are set up nicely for the 23L, though, and I do like convenience. :)

Munich Lager you say? I know the name, but have not tried it. I do like my pale ales... ;)

Do you guys have Country Brewer shops in Vic? Awesome small chain we have up here in Sydney. A home brewer's delight.

Out of curiosity, aside from the syrup, sugar (brew enhancer or whatever it may be) and yeast, what other ingredients do you use? I've been adding hops (in form of a "tea bag" of sorts) and 150g packs of varying grains for flavour enhancement (added through a sive). Still haven't got it exactly as flavoursome as I'd like and always looking for tips.

I'm not sure if we have any Country Brewer stores here.I've tried a few different yeasts and grains and they have come out ok but i prefer the premixes as you can't go wrong.Youtube has some cool videos of guys showing you how to brew various beers.

I'm thinking of trying out the Little Creatures brew but it's $50 a can so i will wait till i can afford it and the Munich Lager you can pick up from K Mart or Target.I'm lucky as at my work they make the Cooper's bottles for the brew kits,so i grab alot of the seconds that are scrapped.They also have the caps so that saves some coin.

I'm not sure if we have any Country Brewer stores here.I've tried a few different yeasts and grains and they have come out ok but i prefer the premixes as you can't go wrong.Youtube has some cool videos of guys showing you how to brew various beers.

I'm thinking of trying out the Little Creatures brew but it's $50 a can so i will wait till i can afford it and the Munich Lager you can pick up from K Mart or Target.I'm lucky as at my work they make the Cooper's bottles for the brew kits,so i grab alot of the seconds that are scrapped.They also have the caps so that saves some coin.

Haha, nice. I have a recipe for Little Creatures that'd be waaay less than $50... but that's getting gear from the Country Brewer. I'll post it tomorrow if I can. Because that presents a question. Can you use a generic Coopers Pale Ale can and mix in the other ingredients for the Little Creatures and still have a Little Creatures-like result... ? I will know soon. ;)

Karpetface, to answer your question, I'm using the Coopers kit.

• My Little Pony

Karpetface lol !! How rude ;-)

It's okay. It's his term of endearment for me. Funny thing is, I couldn't grow a "carpet" on my face, if my life depended on it. It's that 1/16th Cherokee.

Karpetface lol !! How rude ;-)

It's okay. It's his term of endearment for me. Funny thing is, I couldn't grow a "carpet" on my face, if my life depended on it. It's that 1/16th Cherokee.

I wasn't concerned, ''how rude' was written in Jar Jar Binks sense. ;-))

Rain is interesting....

only at cricket so you can stand in the beer tent.

I'd rather watch the cricket ... with a beer.

Comebacks by Palace, Southend and the Kansas City Chiefs (whom I follow, kind of) at the weekend - that's reasonably interesting.

Rain is interesting....

only at cricket so you can stand in the beer tent.

I'd rather watch the cricket ... with a beer.

Comebacks by Palace, Southend and the Kansas City Chiefs (whom I follow, kind of) at the weekend - that's reasonably interesting.

Eerrr,I don't think it is.........lol