What is your greatest year for music?

Glen

• • Bonfire - Point Blank

Good shout on those 3! Gives even more weight to my 1989 argument.....I love all three.

Yeah that, Vain's 'No Respect' and Treat's 'Organized Crime' are all in my top 5-10 albums of all time... I'm sure there'd maybe be another from 1989 too?

And what about these bad boys also from 1989 -

After Hours - s/t

Babylon AD - s/t

Bang Tango - Psycho Cafe

Cry Wolf - s/t

LA Guns - Cocked & Loaded

Leatherwolf - Street Ready

Little Angels - Dont Prey For Me

Mastedon - Its A Jungle

Signal - Loud & Clear

Silent Rage - Dont Touch Me There

Each excellent in its own right.

This is gonna be more difficult than I thought!!

+ Don Dokken - Up From The Ashes :guitbannana:

Don Dokken came out in 1990.

Thank God, one less to rate ;-)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here are my top Albums of '80:

Asia-Armed to the teeth

Quartz - Stand Up And fight

Sarcofagus - Envoy of Death

Cirith Ungol - Frost And Fire

Accept - I'm A Rebel

Tension(CAN)- Released

Manilla Road - Invasion

Angel Witch - Angel Witch

BLACK SABBATH - Heaven and hell

BLUE OYSTER CULT - Cultosaurus Erectus

V/A - Roksnax

Yngwie J. Malmsteen- Birth of the Sun

Hollow Ground -Warlord

Rainbow -The Best of Rainbow

Fist -Turn the Hell On

Gravestone - War

Still didn't establish a crystallized opinion on:

White Boy and the Average Rat Band - White Boy and the Average Rat Band

Mmm Cocked & Loaded > Hollywood Vampires for me............I found that album a bit of a disappointment.

Really? Wow!

:omg:

For me, 'Hollywood Vampires' is by far the best thing they've done. Awesome, awesome album. And has easily my favourite LAG song, "Over The Edge".

Mmm Cocked & Loaded > Hollywood Vampires for me............I found that album a bit of a disappointment.

Really? Wow!

For me, 'Hollywood Vampires' is by far the best thing they've done. Awesome, awesome album. And has easily my favourite LAG song, "Over The Edge".

Haha... mate, I think you should be passing the gaping mouth smiley to everyone else to hand out to you. :lol:

I love all three of these first albums a lot, but of course 'Cocked and loaded' is better than 'Hollywood Vampires!' ;) That can't be too much of a shock as it's surely the opinion of 99% of LA Guns fans? I love all Phil Lewis fronted LA Guns CDs but for me 'Cocked and loaded' is definitely, easily still the best album they ever recorded. Absolute killer disc.

FYI, 'Crystal Eyes' and 'Over the edge' are two of my all time favourite LA Guns songs... as well as 'It's over now.' It is a great disc...

Really? Wow!

Haha... mate, I think you should be passing the gaping mouth smiley to everyone else to hand out to you. :lol:

I love all three of these first albums a lot, but of course 'Cocked and loaded' is better than 'Hollywood Vampires!' ;) That can't be too much of a shock as it's surely the opinion of 99% of LA Guns fans? I love all Phil Lewis fronted LA Guns CDs but for me 'Cocked and loaded' is definitely, easily still the best album they ever recorded. Absolute killer disc.

FYI, 'Crystal Eyes' and 'Over the edge' are two of my all time favourite LA Guns songs... as well as 'It's over now.' It is a great disc...

backed, but I still love the rawness of that debut. They just sounded dangerous on that disc as opposed to the more polished sound of C&L.

Really? Wow!

Fair enough mate; I will have to revisit the earlier LAG stuff. Although I doubt anything will top HV for me - the 3 songs you mention are probably my favourites too, all awesome. Then there's 'Big House', another great tune. I do need to revisit C&L, but as I recall I only really liked 'Malaria' and 'Never Enough' (admittedly both great songs).

Lol, my comment from the main site about the LA Guns debut - I have to say, wonderfully put......

Their 2nd album was too polished, the 3rd crap...didnt bother after that. THIS however is a classic raw, menacing slab of sleaze rock which is one of the standout albums of the genre. Pity they could never surpass this achievement. A must have.

Yeah, I think there's merit in all three as they're all great. You guys probably got them in order back in the day because you're really old - HAHA! - but the story for me is that 'Cocked and loaded' was actually one of the first "hair rock" albums I ever bought in my entire life. From Sanity in Parramatta many, many moons ago. It was one of those albums I owned when I probably only had about 10 rock albums - probably all Bon Jovi or Bryan Adams discs. :lol: But it's one that I played a million times and it never lost it's appeal with me, ever, though all the years. There's actually not a song on it I don't really like. And so many killers like 'Slap in the face,' 'Rip and tear', 'Never enough,' 'The ballad of Jayne,' '17 Crash' and 'Wheels of fire,' just to name a few. Like I said, though, seeing that track list is like a soundtrack to my introduction to hard rock.

I got 'Hollywood Vampires' next and always liked it, but the debut was actually the last of the 3 I got, much later. Even after 'Vicious Circle' to be honest. It was harder to find, plus I had the video they released with I think most the tracks from the debut all on it. I like the debut plenty, but I guess for me I prefer the more commercial appeal of 'Cocked and loaded.' :)

I was ferociously weeping to

2172.jpg

when i decided to compile a list of my top Albums of '97, some great stuff undoubtedly, and thus giving myself a chance to gather them from the shelves of the collection in order to manipulate them....

6727.jpg?1754

13586.jpg?5852

17233.jpg

2435.jpg

39004.JPG

2058.jpg

1832.jpg

839.jpg

2024.jpg

xerxes-christmas-box.jpg

Yngwie-J.-Malmsteen-Facing-The-Animal.jpg

38815.jpg?1509

99252.jpg

5665.jpg?5920

147563.jpg

3205.jpg

4165.jpg

637.jpg

15629.jpg

28376.jpg

4400.jpg

1115.jpeg

1517.jpg

3332.gif

1274.jpg

18640.jpg?5321

9544.jpg

7613.jpg

28656.jpg

1774.jpg

Honorable mention to:

Exciter- The Dark Command

Andi Deris- Come in from the Rain

Fates Warning-A Pleasant Shade of Gray

artension-phoenix rising

stratovarius-visions

riot-angel eyes

pegazus-wings of destiny

Flaming Anger- Biosphere II

George Bellas-Turn of the Millenium

Guardian Angel-Oblivion Seas

Hollow -Modern Cathedral

Vigilance-Secrecy

Seventhsign-Transparent

Sinner-Judgement Day

Roland Grapow-The Four Seasons of Life

Lightmare-The Fool

Memento Mori-Songs for the Apocalypse Vol. IV

Notes:

What an year... But a crime against "collectionism" that very,very few from the

above received the vinyl treatment...

Mr. Roy Z, will you treat "Darkside of Aquarius" the same way you did with "Change of Heart"???

Please...

Really? Wow!

Fair enough mate; I will have to revisit the earlier LAG stuff. Although I doubt anything will top HV for me - the 3 songs you mention are probably my favourites too, all awesome. Then there's 'Big House', another great tune. I do need to revisit C&L, but as I recall I only really liked 'Malaria' and 'Never Enough' (admittedly both great songs).

All of the first four LAG are great IMO but the first two are the class of their catalog. How someone can't liked Cocked and Loaded is beyond me. "Slap in the Face", "Rip and Tear", "Never Enough", "Jayne", "Malaria", "I Wanna Be Your Man", "Showdown Riot on Sunset", "Magdalaine" and "17 Crash" are all awesome. I absolutely love the Hollywood Vampires release but out of the first three it has by far the most amount of filler. "Big House", "Snake Eyes Boogie" and "My Koo Ka Choo" are all average and while "Here is Comes", "Wild Obsession and "I Found You" are better they don't compare to the top songs like "Over the Edge", "Dirty Luv", "Crystal Eyes", "It's Over Now", "Some Lie for Love" and "Kiss My Love Goodbye". Off the debut there isn't any filler IMO and it's straight sleaze heaven from the first track to last with the one awesome ballad type breather with "One Way Ticket".

It's not my fav or even close to my fav year but no one really talks about 2000 but there are some great releases that year that I still spin often and many are still favs. Of course there wasn't as much in the MHR world and much more in the Power and Classic Metal vein.

Iron Maiden - Brave New World

Dio - Magica

Armored Saint - Revelation

Stratovarious - Infinite

Gamma Ray - Blast from the Past(not a new album but re-recordings of old stuff with Kai singing Ralph's parts and a nice two disc compilation that is still my go to GR disc)

Motley Crue - New Tattoo

Pantera - Reiventing the Steel

Jag Panzer - Thane to the Throne

Hammerfall - Renegade

Black Label Soceity - Stronger than Death

Bar 7 - World is a Freak

Poison - Crack a Smile...and more

Poison - Power to the People(four of the five new songs were pretty good)

Bon Jovi - Crush(not every song is great but this was a huge comeback for the band in the US with 'Its my Life' being all over MTV)

Firehouse - O2(I know not everyone loved this one but I liked most of it and played it often)

PC69 - Sonic Dynamite

Slash's Snakepit - Aint Life Grand

Vaughn - Soldiers and Sailors

Westworld - Skin

Really? Wow!

All of the first four LAG are great IMO but the first two are the class of their catalog. How someone can't liked Cocked and Loaded is beyond me. "Slap in the Face", "Rip and Tear", "Never Enough", "Jayne", "Malaria", "I Wanna Be Your Man", "Showdown Riot on Sunset", "Magdalaine" and "17 Crash" are all awesome. I absolutely love the Hollywood Vampires release but out of the first three it has by far the most amount of filler. "Big House", "Snake Eyes Boogie" and "My Koo Ka Choo" are all average and while "Here is Comes", "Wild Obsession and "I Found You" are better they don't compare to the top songs like "Over the Edge", "Dirty Luv", "Crystal Eyes", "It's Over Now", "Some Lie for Love" and "Kiss My Love Goodbye". Off the debut there isn't any filler IMO and it's straight sleaze heaven from the first track to last with the one awesome ballad type breather with "One Way Ticket".

Also while not quite as good as the first 3 the 4th release Vicious Cirlce was pretty damn good too but had a slightly different flavour than the others but still had so many great songs on it but 94' was a tough year to release new music for hard rock bands so that release went nowhere.

I could never pick one year as my favorite. 87-92 just awesome stuff!

It's not my fav or even close to my fav year but no one really talks about 2000 but there are some great releases that year that I still spin often and many are still favs. Of course there wasn't as much in the MHR world and much more in the Power and Classic Metal vein.

Dio - Magica

Stratovarious - Infinite

Gamma Ray - Blast from the Past(not a new album but re-recordings of old stuff with Kai singing Ralph's parts and a nice two disc compilation that is still my go to GR disc)

Motley Crue - New Tattoo

Hammerfall - Renegade

Bar 7 - World is a Freak

Bon Jovi - Crush(not every song is great but this was a huge comeback for the band in the US with 'Its my Life' being all over MTV)

Firehouse - O2(I know not everyone loved this one but I liked most of it and played it often)

PC69 - Sonic Dynamite

Westworld - Skin

+

praying mantis-Nowhere To Hide

Yngwie J. Malmsteen-War to End All Wars

Yngwie J. Malmsteen -Yngwie Malmsteen LIVE!! (DVD)

Virgin Steele-The House of Atreus: Act II

Victor Smolski-The Heretic

Vinnie Moore-Live!

Tad Morose-Undead

Spiral Architect-A Sceptic's Universe

Spirit Web-Spirit Web

Stormwind-Resurrection

Symphony X-V: The New Mythology Suite

Sinner-The End of Sanctuary

Concerto Moon-Fragments of the Moon

Concerto Moon-Live 1999 and More the End of Beginning

Death Row-Death Is Alive: 1981-1985

Rival-Modern World

Rob Rock-Rage of Creation

Sacred Steel-Bloodlust

Slough Feg-Down Among the Deadmen

Helloween-The Dark Ride

Jacobs Dream -Jacobs Dream

Marauder-1821

Mark Boals-Ring of Fire

Masi-In the Name of Bach

Nocturnal Rites-Afterlife

Majestic-Trinity Overture

Johansson -The Johansson Brothers / Sonic Winter

Custard-For My King

Great year. Thanx for the heads up. Too bad that only Nocturnal Rites,Helloween,Death Row,Marauder,Jag Panzer,Sacred Steel, Slough Feg are on vinyl (and some just crappy PD). Time to put Jag Panzer(RIP) on the turntable and cry one thousand tears...

Dio - Magica

Stratovarious - Infinite

Motley Crue - New Tattoo

Hammerfall - Renegade

Bar 7 - World is a Freak

PC69 - Sonic Dynamite

Westworld - Skin

+

Vinnie Moore-Live!

Tad Morose-Undead

Spirit Web-Spirit Web

Stormwind-Resurrection

Rival-Modern World

Sacred Steel-Bloodlust

Helloween-The Dark Ride

Marauder-1821

Mark Boals-Ring of Fire

Masi-In the Name of Bach

Custard-For My King

Great year. Thanx for the heads up. Too bad that only Nocturnal Rites,Helloween,Death Row,Marauder,Jag Panzer,Sacred Steel, Slough Feg are on vinyl (and some just crappy PD). Time to put Jag Panzer(RIP) on the turntable and cry one thousand tears...

I swore I had the Helloween in my list but see now I left it out. Great album!

I started to put Malmsteen's War to End all Wars on my list but I really dont think its very good.

I did forget about the Nocturnal Rites Afterlife. That one was pretty good!

Another good one that year was Dio-Holy Dio Tribute album.

Dio - Magica

Stratovarious - Infinite

Motley Crue - New Tattoo

Hammerfall - Renegade

Bar 7 - World is a Freak

PC69 - Sonic Dynamite

Westworld - Skin

+

Vinnie Moore-Live!

Tad Morose-Undead

Spirit Web-Spirit Web

Stormwind-Resurrection

Rival-Modern World

Sacred Steel-Bloodlust

Helloween-The Dark Ride

Marauder-1821

Mark Boals-Ring of Fire

Masi-In the Name of Bach

Custard-For My King

I started to put Malmsteen's War to End all Wars on my list but I really dont think its very good.

War to End all Wars has mediocre/bad production,Yngwie's first attempt in his own studio i think, but godly tracks, riveting solos and passionate lyrics. And Boals dedicated "Crucify" to me(hehehe),i've met him in the hotel the day of their Greek tour, on their Greek gig, which of course sounded tera times better than the cd. And have in mind that Yngwie almost didn't have band at the time. The highlight of the gig,though, was a bass track from the octopus, Mr Randy Coven,which haunts me till today.

I have the Dio-Holy Dio Tribute album. Not fan of these kind of releases,but i got it because i'm solitude aeturnus completist and i've listened to their cover prior. Easily the best of the cd with B. Guardian's one as strong second.

So many great years but I'll go with 1980/1981.

Scorpions - Animal Magnetism

Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell

Blackfoot - Tomcattin'

Journey -Departure

Le Roux - Up

The Michael Schenker Group - S/T

Loverboy - S/T

Kansas - Audio Visions

Styx - Paradise Theatre

UFO - No Place To Run

Toronto - Lookin' For Trouble

Rush - Permanent Waves

Pat Benatar - Crímes Of Passion

Def Leppard - High 'N' Dry

Foreigner - 4

Pat Benatar - Previous Time

Journey -Escape

Loverboy - Get Lucky

Accept - Breaker

Survivor - Premonition

Toronto -Head On

Toto - Turn Back

Y&T - Earthshaker

Van Halen - Fair Warning

Wrabit - Wrough & Wready

Reo Speedwagon - Hi Infidelity

Rush - Moving Pictures

Little River Band - Time Exposure

Krokus - Hardware

The Michael Schenker Group - MSG

Black Sabbath - Mob Rules

Blackfoot - Marauder

While spinning this:

739_vitalij_kuprij_works_of_liszt_and_chopin.jpg

i think it's time to post my top Albums of 2001:

Vitalij Kuprij-Works of Liszt and Chopin

Twisted Tower Dire-The Isle of Hydra

The Reign of Terror-Sacred Ground

Theodore Ziras-Trained to Play

Angelo Perlepes' Mystery-Fatal Passion

Casus Belli-Mirror Out of Time

Cirith Ungol-Servants of Chaos

CJSS-Sands of Time

Concerto Moon-Rain Forest

Concerto Moon-The End of the Beginning

Dawn of Winter-Slow Is the Suffering

Defender- Remaining Tales(compo)

Domine - Stormbringer Ruler - The Legend of the Power Supreme

Emerald | Oracle- Selah / Armed for Battle (Split)

Titan Force - All What it is(compo)

Tony MacAlpine- Chromaticity

Symphony X- Live on the Edge of Forever

Steel Attack -Fall Into Madness

Skullview-Consequences of Failure

Seventh Omen-Abstract Destiny

Shadow Gallery- Legacy

Rage-Welcome to the Other Side

Ring of Fire- The Oracle

Nightmare-Cosmovision

Metalucifer- Heavy Metal Chainsaw

Metalucifer -Warriors Ride on the Chariots

Michael Harris-Sketches From The Thought Chamber

Malediction-Condamnés

Mastermind(Jpn)- The Way I Go

Lost Horizon-Awakening the World

Iron Cross- Iron Cross 2(compo)

Jacobs Dream -Theater of War

Jag Panzer- Mechanized Warfare

Joe Stump -2001: A Shred Odyssey

Hammers of Misfortune-The Bastard

Another great year (thus difficult to choose only one), especially in the prog/shred/virtuoso departnment. And still i'm missing some.

I'm listening to Shadow Gallery's Legacy now(trying hard not to create new tributary for Nile from the tears) and i don't get it how it went unnoticed in the prog circles...Guess were all extremely busy ordering pizzas and curry while watching DT's dvd...

While spinning this:

CJSS-Sands of Time

Shadow Gallery- Legacy

Ring of Fire- The Oracle

Nightmare-Cosmovision

Malediction-Condamnés

Another great year (thus difficult to choose only one), especially in the prog/shred/virtuoso departnment. And still i'm missing some.

I'm listening to Shadow Gallery's Legacy now(trying hard not to create new tributary for Nile from the tears) and i don't get it how it went unnoticed in the prog circles...Guess were all extremely busy ordering pizzas and curry while watching DT's dvd...

I only own one of those cd in your 2001 list and that's the great Jag Panzer's "Mechanized Warfare".

I lived in Colorado at the time that one came out and loved playing the local boys and loved that release!

Dio - Magica

Stratovarious - Infinite

Motley Crue - New Tattoo

Hammerfall - Renegade

Bar 7 - World is a Freak

PC69 - Sonic Dynamite

Westworld - Skin

+

Vinnie Moore-Live!

Tad Morose-Undead

Spirit Web-Spirit Web

Stormwind-Resurrection

Rival-Modern World

Sacred Steel-Bloodlust

Helloween-The Dark Ride

Marauder-1821

Mark Boals-Ring of Fire

Masi-In the Name of Bach

Custard-For My King

War to End all Wars has mediocre/bad production,Yngwie's first attempt in his own studio i think, but godly tracks, riveting solos and passionate lyrics. And Boals dedicated "Crucify" to me(hehehe),i've met him in the hotel the day of their Greek tour, on their Greek gig, which of course sounded tera times better than the cd. And have in mind that Yngwie almost didn't have band at the time. The highlight of the gig,though, was a bass track from the octopus, Mr Randy Coven,which haunts me till today.

I have the Dio-Holy Dio Tribute album. Not fan of these kind of releases,but i got it because i'm solitude aeturnus completist and i've listened to their cover prior. Easily the best of the cd with B. Guardian's one as strong second.

I loved and still do love the Holy Dio tribute and got to hear many bands that I had never heard before and at the time was just discovering many of the newer names on the Euro Power Metal scene and even some that had been going for a while like Gamma Ray but were finally getting some of their stuff released in the US. My fav on that one will always be Blind Guardian's "Don't Talk to Strangers".

I tried and tried to get into that Malmsteen release as well as the previous one Alchemy but the thing for me besides being the crappy production you mentioned was the lack of great songs and really I've felt that way with everything Yngwie has released since Facing the Animal. The playing was great and very intense on War to End All Wars but in the End(no pun inteneded) it left me a little cold. Maybe I'll give it another spin to see if I feel different since it has been almost 8 years or more since I've played it.

• 2023 Gold Donors

Dio - Magica

Stratovarious - Infinite

Motley Crue - New Tattoo

Hammerfall - Renegade

Bar 7 - World is a Freak

PC69 - Sonic Dynamite

Westworld - Skin

Halford - Resurrection

Dio - Magica

Stratovarious - Infinite

Motley Crue - New Tattoo

Hammerfall - Renegade

Bar 7 - World is a Freak

PC69 - Sonic Dynamite

Westworld - Skin

Halford - Resurrection

I swore that was in my list too love that album.

What a great comeback!

• 2023 Gold Donors

While spinning this:

CJSS-Sands of Time

Shadow Gallery- Legacy

Ring of Fire- The Oracle

Nightmare-Cosmovision

Malediction-Condamnés

The Cult - Beyond Good and Evil

Dio - Magica

Stratovarious - Infinite

Motley Crue - New Tattoo

Hammerfall - Renegade

Bar 7 - World is a Freak

PC69 - Sonic Dynamite

Westworld - Skin

Halford - Resurrection

Millenium - Hourglass

(a big fav of mine & one of Jorn's finest hours)