Eclipse - Bleed & Scream

Glen

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this CD, probably my favourite of the year but after a couple of months with it, and this is by no means negative, I can't shake the John Sykes vibe all over it. Whether it's the riffing, the heaviness, the solos, the fills and other lead work I just hear him (at his heaviest) from Whitesnake - 1987 and Blue Murder. There's tastes of his work/style etc. throughout the entire album and usually something on each song. Anyone else agree?

I love this CD, probably my favourite of the year but after a couple of months with it, and this is by no means negative, I can't shake the John Sykes vibe all over it. Whether it's the riffing, the heaviness, the solos, the fills and other lead work I just hear him (at his heaviest) from Whitesnake - 1987 and Blue Murder. There's tastes of his work/style etc. throughout the entire album and usually something on each song. Anyone else agree?

I haven't got the CD yet (Gibbo has my copy and will be handing it over today) but if you're right about the Sykes sound, I'll be over the moon. That would be awesometastic news for me - Sykes rocks!!! :D

I haven't got the CD yet (Gibbo has my copy and will be handing it over today) but if you're right about the Sykes sound, I'll be over the moon. That would be awesometastic news for me - Sykes rocks!!! :D

'awesometastic'? You utter fanboy :)Luckily, I remembered to bring the CD with me this morning ...

AWESOME song!!!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, after 20 or so spins its time to lay down some thoughts on this. Excellent album overall....EM sings amazingly well, the solos are blistering, great hooks throughout and a flawless production - really adds up to a winning album. Here's a quick track by track

1. Wake Me Up - (9.50) - perfect melodic opener/genius pre chorus...just slightly repetitive in the chorus, but man the hook is great...always singing this one

2. Bleed & Scream - (10) - flawless melodic rock. Cant fault this song

3. Aint Dead Yet - (8.00) - change of style to a more Masterplanish track, Great energy. solo could be better, but I still love this track

4. Battlegrounds - (8.50) - huge Gary Moore vibe here, and this again is a winner. Just the spoken bits put me off.

5. A Bitter Taste - (10) - Wow is all I can say. I freakin love this track. Big Whitesnake 1987 type song with a massive ending. Magic stuff.

6. Falling Down - (9.25) - Great melodic tune with perfect verses.

7. SOS - (9.25) - more great verses, nice melodic chorus and killer musicianship

8. Take Back The Fear - (8.25) - back to the Masterplan sound but this is more melodic than track 3. Great solo. That rhythm section kills.

9. The Unspoken Heroes - (9.50) - first time I heard this I nearly fell off my seat...killer combo of Whitesnake and Lizzy. Massive anthemic chorus and killer solo. love it.

10. About To Break - (9.75) - near flawless ballad. Huge vocal. Awesome solo

11. After The End Of The World - (9.75) - Monster rocker to end the album true. Massive chorus.riff.solo...brilliant stuff....and really like the haunting bell and thunderstorm at the end...but this does drag on which detracts ever so slightly.

[overall 92.2% but will round up as the production and packaging is pretty great]

Verdict : 93%

I don't usually score albums, but having just listened to this one about 5 times, I thought I'd have a go. I use my favourite songs as the (10/10) benchmark, hence my marks are generally harsher than Glen or Geoff:

1. Wake Me Up - (6) - really average opener; nothing wrong with, but nothing special

2. Bleed & Scream - (8) - nice hard rock song

3. Aint Dead Yet - (6.5) - decent upbeat song, quite a nice chorus

4. Battlegrounds - (6) - again, another reasonably good song, but not amazing

5. A Bitter Taste - (8.5) - very nice song, great build up and chorus - just somehow get the feeling it could be a bit better (i.e. big build up, chorus kicks in really well, but then it doesn't really go anywhere and the chorus itself is very short)

6. Falling Down - (8) - good song

7. SOS - (9) - the verses on this track are the highlight of the whole album, the chorus is quite good, and the solo is pretty poor - very disappointing. Overall still a really good song though and the best on the album for me

8. Take Back The Fear - (5) - not keen on this one, sounds like rock-by-numbers

9. The Unspoken Heroes - (8) - like this one, excellent chorus, but the opening riff (which appears a few times during the song) sounds a lot like 'Still Of The Night' by Whitesnake, so much so that I found myself humming said song

10. About To Break - (6) - soft, nothing special, but reasonable guitar

11. After The End Of The World - (4) - least favourite on the whole thing, really boring

Good album overall, will be in my top 10 of the year, but perhaps not quite as good as I thought it was going to be after hearing a few songs online beforehand.

To be honest my initial score has fallen back a little with repeated plays (as have a number of other titles this year), but this is still a solid 85-90% disc for me.

Your score for tracks 10 & 11 have me scratching my head a little.....one awesome ballad and rocker in my book :-)

OK, after 20 or so spins its time to lay down some thoughts on this. Excellent album overall....EM sings amazingly well, the solos are blistering, great hooks throughout and a flawless production - really adds up to a winning album. Here's a quick track by track

1. Wake Me Up - (9.50) - perfect melodic opener/genius pre chorus...just slightly repetitive in the chorus, but man the hook is great...always singing this one

3. Aint Dead Yet - (8.00) - change of style to a more Masterplanish track, Great energy. solo could be better, but I still love this track

4. Battlegrounds - (8.50) - huge Gary Moore vibe here, and this again is a winner. Just the spoken bits put me off.

5. A Bitter Taste - (10) - Wow is all I can say. I freakin love this track. Big Whitesnake 1987 type song with a massive ending. Magic stuff.

7. SOS - (9.25) - more great verses, nice melodic chorus and killer musicianship

8. Take Back The Fear - (8.25) - back to the Masterplan sound but this is more melodic than track 3. Great solo. That rhythm section kills.

9. The Unspoken Heroes - (9.50) - first time I heard this I nearly fell off my seat...killer combo of Whitesnake and Lizzy. Massive anthemic chorus and killer solo. love it.

11. After The End Of The World - (9.75) - Monster rocker to end the album true. Massive chorus.riff.solo...brilliant stuff....and really like the haunting bell and thunderstorm at the end...but this does drag on which detracts ever so slightly.

[overall 92.2% but will round up as the production and packaging is pretty great]

I don't usually score albums, but having just listened to this one about 5 times, I thought I'd have a go. I use my favourite songs as the (10/10) benchmark, hence my marks are generally harsher than Glen or Geoff:

1. Wake Me Up - (6) - really average opener; nothing wrong with, but nothing special

5. A Bitter Taste - (8.5) - very nice song, great build up and chorus - just somehow get the feeling it could be a bit better (i.e. big build up, chorus kicks in really well, but then it doesn't really go anywhere and the chorus itself is very short)

7. SOS - (9) - the verses on this track are the highlight of the whole album, the chorus is quite good, and the solo is pretty poor - very disappointing. Overall still a really good song though and the best on the album for me

9. The Unspoken Heroes - (8) - like this one, excellent chorus, but the opening riff (which appears a few times during the song) sounds a lot like 'Still Of The Night' by Whitesnake, so much so that I found myself humming said song

11. After The End Of The World - (4) - least favourite on the whole thing, really boring

Good album overall, will be in my top 10 of the year, but perhaps not quite as good as I thought it was going to be after hearing a few songs online beforehand.

That is pretty much my feelings about this one. I haven't really said much about this album, as I have been a bit tied on whether I really like it or not. Spinning it again the other day I came to the definite conclusion that whilst good and solid, it is massively overrated and definitely Won't make my top 10 this year.I'll give it a pretty good 75-80%

That is pretty much my feelings about this one. I haven't really said much about this album, as I have been a bit tied on whether I really like it or not. Spinning it again the other day I came to the definite conclusion that whilst good and solid, it is massively overrated and definitely Won't make my top 10 this year.I'll give it a pretty good 75-80%

Same here, a solid album but nowhere near as good as it was hyped to be. I played it regularly for about 2 weeks when it firstcame out and have rarely gone back to it since. I know I'll pull it out again when I make my best of 2012 list, but like Jez, I don't think it will make my top 10 either.

• My Little Pony

Same here, a solid album but nowhere near as good as it was hyped to be. I played it regularly for about 2 weeks when it firstcame out and have rarely gone back to it since. I know I'll pull it out again when I make my best of 2012 list, but like Jez, I don't think it will make my top 10 either.

Yep, I can't even recall much of the album. I know "Wake Me Up" only because I had to get through that one to get to "Bleed and Scream," which, I'll admit, is one of my favourite tracks of the year. Unfortunately, nothing else got me stiff.

Your score for tracks 10 & 11 have me scratching my head a little.....one awesome ballad and rocker in my book :-)

Yeah, to each their own, but the 4 for the last track is insanity. What the frig's so bad about it??? It's actually my personal equal favourite song on the album.

My awesome review on this stands because I'm really smart. ;)

• My Little Pony

Yal dudes are all crazy. Great album

Imo, will be in my top 10 after a bit of score tweaking (downwards).

So, I'm crazy for saying this isn't making my top ten--if I was to even make a list--yet, you ain't crazy for suggesting "Just Like I Planned" is a filler? I'mma smack you. ;}

So, I'm crazy for saying this isn't making my top ten--if I was to even make a list--yet, you ain't crazy for suggesting "Just Like I Planned" is a filler? I'mma smack you. ;}

Not just you - y'all ;-)

Look to each their own eh. I just think this ticks most of the boxes for a great mhr album.

If others don't, we'll that's cool too. It's just I'm left scratching my head slightly that's all.

• My Little Pony

Not just you - y'all ;-)

Look to each their own eh. I just think this ticks most of the boxes for a great mhr album.

If others don't, we'll that's cool too. It's just I'm left scratching my head slightly that's all.

Heh. You know I'm just taking the piss. I mean, I stand by my words, but I only say them to stir the pot.

Don't mind me. I'm from Barcelona. ;}

Not just you - y'all ;-)

Heh. You know I'm just taking the piss. I mean, I stand by my words, but I only say them to stir the pot.

Really? I thought you were in the States!! Not sure where I got that from lol

• My Little Pony

Not just you - y'all ;-)

Really? I thought you were in the States!! Not sure where I got that from lol

Nah, I'm from Canada. But I threw in the Fawlty Towers reference, 'cause sometimes I feel like Manuel around here. "I know nothing!"

• 3 months later...

This sounds pretty good. Some are awesome, some are just OK. Damn I missed alot around here.