CIRCUS MAXIMUS - Nine

I only discovered this band after finding out that Michael Eriksen who sang on the best release of 2011, The Magnificent was this bands lead singer and his official gig as lead vocalist.

Circus Maximus is compared to Dream Theater and has the wonderfully melodic vocals of Michael Eriksen. Talk about getting me excited, since I'm a fan of both.

From what I've heard this is one killer release, it's already out on NEH, I ordered last week and I'm anticipating its arrival in the mail.

Here are some of the best tracks I found on Youtube

[media=]

[/media]

Simply EPIC!!! Fans of the Magnificent will love this one.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9ZDjuRXjeY&feature=related[/media]

Powerful and fantastic

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSt7eoJsahc&feature=related[/media]

WOW!!!! I love this one, certainly one of the best tracks of 2012.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNagjDMbIps[/media]

more awesomeness!!!

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3RH5vEHcAs&feature=relmfu[/media]

very cool and the tempo changes are superb. The guitar solo is so damn tasty...yummy!!!

I'm passing early judgement, but so far the best melodic prog metal release of 2012

Yes, very interesting and very good disc. I believe I've rated this around 80% earlier in my first spin, but haven't got the chance of spinning it again because too many new releases to be checked out :)

I might pick up the debut, it's meant to be really good. Can anyone vouch for it?

Mmm, I do like it, but a bit too much going on for me. Still the only Prog Metal band Ive been able to seriously get into is Threshold.

Mmm, I do like it, but a bit too much going on for me. Still the only Prog Metal band Ive been able to seriously get into is Threshold.

I can sympathise with that. This band has been likened to Dream Theater, which is a band I really dislike, but the tracks I've heard by CM sound much better than DT to me.

I just got this one in the mail...brilliant!!!

Starts off a tad slow but from track 4 and on this simply is the best release of 2012.

Here is my track by track review

1.) Forging - It's an intro tune no rating

2.) Architect Of Fortune - Dream Theater to a tee 9/10

3.) Namaste - A solid heavy rocker similar to the stuff on DT's Awake - 8/10

4.) Game Of Life - Now the album really gets good, melodic bliss, could have fit on the Magnificent release from last year - 9.5/10

5.) Reach Within - More melodic bliss, starts off average but then the chorus is MONSTEROUS!!! 9.5/10

6.) I AM - 4 minutes of smiling can hurt ones face...simply glorious 9.5/10

7.) Used - Heavy and near perfect, more DT - Awake sounds, especially in the keys. 9/10

8.) The One - Heavy yet more melodic glory 9.5/10

9.) Burn After Reading - More over the top DT, yet not instant nor easy to digest, should get better with each listen. 8/10

10.) Last Goodbye - 10 minutes of EPICALLY MELODIC BLISS!!! I have no other words to describe it, my personal first perfect track of 2012. 10/10 one point for every glorious minute.

Michael Eriksen went from me not knowing who he was 365 days ago to now having sung 2 perfect songs with 2 different bands. Memories from The Magnificent and now Last Goodbye from Circus Maximus.

Yes the instrumentation and even the vocals are very DreamTheater like, yet this is much more melodic than anything Dream Theater has ever done.

• 1 month later...

Probably my favorite album of 2012

Fantastic band , just check "Isolate" it's more Metal than the last one but it's...fantastic !

"Nine" is less Metal Prog & more Melodic than "Isolate"

Probably my favorite album of 2012

Fantastic band , just check "Isolate" it's more Metal than the last one but it's...fantastic !

"Nine" is less Metal Prog & more Melodic than "Isolate"

I was a little concerned at first but Nine is very good. I think it and the previous albums are different but if you can appreciate the album for its songs, it is very enjoyable.

I like some prog rock/metal, but I'll take another The Magnificent which was the best album of 2011!

I like some prog rock/metal, but I'll take another The Magnificent which was the best album of 2011!

The Magnificent was a very good album but there were many others I preferred in 2011 over that one but it was a very good AOR album for sure.

The Magnificent was a very good album but there were many others I preferred in 2011 over that one but it was a very good AOR album for sure.

That, Toby Hitchcock, Work Of Art & Dynazty could swap places on any given day. Great year with a solid as hell top 20 at least!

That, Toby Hitchcock, Work Of Art & Dynazty could swap places on any given day. Great year with a solid as hell top 20 at least!

Agree that it was a great year, but so was 2010 and this year so far!

I think what really did it for me was, that it came out of nowhere. I did not hear anything about it coming out till it actually came out, and then I heard Cheated By Love and then got the cd. I was blown away with at least 9-10 songs out of 12.

I think what really did it for me was, that it came out of nowhere. I did not hear anything about it coming out till it actually came out, and then I heard Cheated By Love and then got the cd. I was blown away with at least 9-10 songs out of 12.

You should listen to me mate, was plugging it for months lol ;-)

You should listen to me mate, was plugging it for months lol ;-)

Months before it came out?

• 5 months later...

Nine really does have staying power. I just hope it doesnt take years to do another album.

I can wait to get High Quality

One album every two years seems to be too much for many bands........

Nine really does have staying power. I just hope it doesnt take years to do another album.

I can wait to get High Quality

One album every two years seems to be too much for many bands........

i am greedy - I want both :)

• 3 months later...

Easily the most Dream Theater sounding track, like it was lifted straight off of 'Awake'. To be honest their are many, many better tracks on Nine, 'Namaste' is the least melodic and probably my least favourite on Nine. The mix in the video for the track odd, trust me, I've listened to the song at least 50 times. This sounds heavier and the vocals sound a bit more harsh...I guess the FX sounds used in the video may be adding this odd new sound.