Hess - Living In Yesterday

Glen

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• My Little Pony

Dropped my sexy little review on this one tonight:

01. Living In Yesterday (04:28) - the verses are pure perfection. Chorus is okay but pales compared to the verses - 8.50

02. Reach For You (04:03) - perfect verses, perfect chorus… just love this chorus hook so much. Flawless melodic rock song - 10.00

03. Its Over (04:28) - sensational melodic rock ballad with a killer chorus hook - 9.75

04. Dont Leave Me (03:17) - like the opener, I prefer the great verses to the solid chorus… but a good tune regardless - 8.50

05. What If (03:30) - goodness I love this chorus… perfectly constructed lyrical hooks throughout the whole song - 9.50

06. Nothing Lasts Forever (03:23) - nice uptempo rocker… with great verses and a big catchy chorus - 8.50

07. Falling Down (03:18) - Young Harold at his absolute best again… stunning track with a magic chorus - 9.75

08. I Live For You (04:28) - great ballad with another great big hook - 9.00

09. I Dont Wanna Want You (03:05) - real unfortunate inclusion - way off compared to the rest - 5.00

10. Where To Run (03:10) - great melodic rock closer - 9.00

- TOTAL SCORE - 90%

Overall I couldn't be happier with the disc. It's a shame that one single crabby song brings the overall score for this down a bit, as it probably deserves a little higher. But this does contain some of the most exquisite, most perfectly crafted hooks of the year... the kind of hooks only Hess can craft. Absolutely love hearing what the man does best.

You crazy. I love that track.

The chorus is pretty similar indeed, nice find Glen

btw, this Benny Mardones is a new name to me, turns out that song is cool enough G, wonder if his album is all good ?

The album with that song is v good - well worth checking out

You guys are seriously stoned. I truly don't hear it at all. The only song I am vaguely reminded off when I hear the Eric Martin song is 'I never really loved you at all' by Benny Mardones (which is itself a stunning song), but even that's just a passing 2 second thought. I don't hear the Hess song at all. ;)

You are the only who DOESNT hear it? You are winding me up aren't you. The melody is EXACTLY the same in the chorus. Verses are different.

• My Little Pony

You guys are seriously stoned. I truly don't hear it at all. The only song I am vaguely reminded off when I hear the Eric Martin song is 'I never really loved you at all' by Benny Mardones (which is itself a stunning song), but even that's just a passing 2 second thought. I don't hear the Hess song at all. ;)

You are the only who DOESNT hear it? You are winding me up aren't you. The melody is EXACTLY the same in the chorus. Verses are different.

Yep, but what do you expect from an Aussie? :D

01. Living In Yesterday (04:28) - the verses are pure perfection. Chorus is okay but pales compared to the verses - 8.50

02. Reach For You (04:03) - perfect verses, perfect chorus… just love this chorus hook so much. Flawless melodic rock song - 10.00

03. Its Over (04:28) - sensational melodic rock ballad with a killer chorus hook - 9.75

04. Dont Leave Me (03:17) - like the opener, I prefer the great verses to the solid chorus… but a good tune regardless - 8.50

05. What If (03:30) - goodness I love this chorus… perfectly constructed lyrical hooks throughout the whole song - 9.50

06. Nothing Lasts Forever (03:23) - nice uptempo rocker… with great verses and a big catchy chorus - 8.50

07. Falling Down (03:18) - Young Harold at his absolute best again… stunning track with a magic chorus - 9.75

09. I Dont Wanna Want You (03:05) - real unfortunate inclusion - way off compared to the rest - 5.00

- TOTAL SCORE - 90%

Overall I couldn't be happier with the disc. It's a shame that one single crabby song brings the overall score for this down a bit, as it probably deserves a little higher. But this does contain some of the most exquisite, most perfectly crafted hooks of the year... the kind of hooks only Hess can craft. Absolutely love hearing what the man does best.

Might be the most far off song, but it's the one that sticks in my head the most.

- TOTAL SCORE - 90%

Might be the most far off song, but it's the one that sticks in my head the most.

In a slightly annoying way ;-)

• My Little Pony

- TOTAL SCORE - 90%

Y'all crazy. It's a great tune, and I don't think it stands out as much as you guys do.

- TOTAL SCORE - 90%

In a very annoying way. ;)

And doods, you guys are sending PMs to each other between my posts having a lend of me about these two songs, aren't you? I know y'all must be kidding. Just lined up each youtube clip side by side and listened as back to back as I could. Doods, there is nothing similar about them!

Enjoy your little private PM party after I post this... creeps. I see through y'all. ;)

I have to agree with Geoff. Those two songs don't sound similar at all to me. :popcorn:

Thank you sir. But I guarantee (or at least I hope) the guys are all jesting. I wonder if I offer Dan a hug he can expose the PM's being sent back and forth between these guys about tricking me into saying that I agree with them.

I'm surprised they didn't mention how similar PC69's 'Shattered' and Poison's 'Every rose has it's thorn' are while they're at it. ;) Creeps.

• My Little Pony

You are both deaf ;-) even my wife can hear it, and she never agrees with me lol !

Yeah, they're out their damn minds. It's just the chorus, boys. Play the chorus to Eric Martin's track and sing the chorus to "Living in Yesterday" over it. Or vice versa.

Come on Geoff we know you wanna agree with us, come on just this one time, be cool....do it! do it!

The peer pressure is just too much.

To be honest I can so hear it, I'm surprised you can't hear the sameness in the melody during the chorus.

It's a great release, maybe a bit safe, but I'd much rather hear something being safe than taking a chance and bombing.

You are both deaf ;-) even my wife can hear it, and she never agrees with me lol !

Yeah, they're out their damn minds. It's just the chorus, boys. Play the chorus to Eric Martin's track and sing the chorus to "Living in Yesterday" over it. Or vice versa.

Trust me, tried my hardest to do just that, but the words or melody just don't even remotely fit in. It's just not there, simple as that.

As for your wife, agreeing, Glen, if she's anything like mine she'd just agree with you to shut you, and more importantly, the music up. :lol: I doubt she actually paid any attention, though. ;)

Trust me, tried my hardest to do just that, but the words or melody just don't even remotely fit in. It's just not there, simple as that.

As for your wife, agreeing, Glen, if she's anything like mine she'd just agree with you to shut you, and more importantly, the music up. :lol: I doubt she actually paid any attention, though. ;)

She loves Hess actually - went with me to FF to see Harem Scarem a few years back ;-)

and yeah, i'll just assume that you are tone deaf ;-)

Alls cool.

For Geoff - look mate, there's loads near you ;-)

http://www.nhc.com.a...g-Test-NSW.aspx

Haha. Nice. I honestly truly reckon, though, that if we put this to a poll and the majority of the forum listened and gave an opinion, I'm 95% sure that most would agree there is no similarity. Because it's true. The worst thing is, I keep thinking you guys are serious and trying to hear this apparent similarity, but when I realise (again) it's just not there, I know y'all are just having a lend of me.

• My Little Pony

For Geoff - look mate, there's loads near you ;-)

http://www.nhc.com.a...g-Test-NSW.aspx

Haha. Nice. I honestly truly reckon, though, that if we put this to a poll and the majority of the forum listened and gave an opinion, I'm 95% sure that most would agree there is no similarity. Because it's true. The worst thing is, I keep thinking you guys are serious and trying to hear this apparent similarity, but when I realise (again) it's just not there, I know y'all are just having a lend of me.

He's taking the piss, now isn't he?

Geoff, I'mma fly out there and smack you.

• My Little Pony

I've listened to the songs back to back multiple times and there is no similarity in my opinion at all. You guys are deaf.

Well, there's your problem. You need to listen to them front to back. Listening to them in reverse will do you no benefit. :D

God I wished I'd never mentioned it now. hey ho. Whatever.

Anyways getting this thread back on track here's my summary of this excellent album..............

1. Living In Yesterday - (9.0) - great track even if it does rip off a melody from a certain track that will remain unnamed ;-)

2. Reach For You - (9.5) - great lyrics, great harmony. Excellent melodic rock.

3. It's Over - (10) - genius ballad of the highest order. Great vocal, brilliant chorus, orgasmic crescendo towards the end

4. Dont Leave Me - (9.5) - excellent melodious verses, love the chorus and the HS styled bridge in the middle is heaven

5. What If - (9.75) - virtually perfect ballad

6. Nothing Lasts Forever - (9.25) - very nice recent era HS styled rocker. Big chorus hook

7. Falling Down - (10) - about as perfect as melodic rock gets. Flawless

8. I Live For You - (9.75) - massive chorus hook in an exquisite ballad.

9. I Dont Wanna Want You - (7.25) - querky, almost rubber styled rocker, which is very catchy but a bit out of place here.

10. Where To Run - (9.0) - atmospheric end to the album, but still a winning chorus

Overall 93%

[probably Hess's finest moment since 'Higher']

Here is my track by track review, not that it's original but I've got a good grasp on this one after about 5 spins, unlike the Eclipse, that one is tougher to judge as of yet.

01. Living In Yesterday (04:28) - Upbeat and classic sounding 9/10

02. Reach For You (04:03) Another fairly upbeat track that reminds so much of the stuff on Higher, love the vocal layers 9/10

03. Its Over (04:28) - A great ballad 9/10

04. Dont Leave Me (03:17) - Good rocker, safe, yet good. Love Pete's playing, typical HS sound 9/10

05. What If (03:30) - A good song, a bit boring, I'd prefer more guitar and less orchestration on this one. 8/10

06. Nothing Lasts Forever (03:23) - Love this one, the album needed a faster paced rocker like this one. 9/10

07. Falling Down (03:18) - More mid tempo stuff, solid track, but very safe. 8/10

08. I Live For You (04:28) - Mid tempo again, yet the chorus is stunning - 9/10

09. I Dont Wanna Want You (03:05) - Needed an upbeat tune, but this one is a bit strange, can't call it safe, I like it 8/10

10. Where To Run (03:10) - More mid tempo, safe rock, solid but not spectacular. 8/10

86/100

I like the album but it like most HS releases since Higher the songs are all good, safe, in one ear out the other. I prefer this one a million times better than his previous solo release from a few years ago.

I like the album but it like most HS releases since Higher the songs are all good, safe, in one ear out the other. I prefer this one a million times better than his previous solo release from a few years ago.

Tsk tsk, my man. I take it your not a lyrics man at all? There's nothing throwaway about the best songs on this at all - they are brilliant, and utterly captivate my ears - both whilst they're playing and in memory afterwards. ;)

The fact that you rate a complete mindless filler like 'I don't wanna want you' the same as lyrically heartfelt brilliance like 'What if' and 'Falling down' indicates to me that we look for very different things in music... even if we sometimes enjoy the same types of CDs. :)