Hess - Living In Yesterday

Glen

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely some nice tracks on there, but overall I think I still give the edge to First Signal with Hess.

Agree!

Loved his first album to bits, really looking forward to getting my hands on this one! :) In fact 'Just Another Day' would probably rate in my top 20 albums of all time!

• 2 weeks later...

Samples - sounds pretty perfect to me :-)

http://soundcloud.co...yesterday-album

Thanks for the link, just managed to play these. My main question is why can't he do both these solo discs, and Harem Scarem again? What's he doing the rest of the time, and why isn't it spent making albums?

Samples - sounds pretty perfect to me :-)

http://soundcloud.co...yesterday-album

Thanks for the link, just managed to play these. My main question is why can't he do both these solo discs, and Harem Scarem again? What's he doing the rest of the time, and why isn't it spent making albums?

probably sat on his arse enjoying himself..........I wish I could at his age lol !

• 1 month later...

kicking up this thread as it's released 3 days ago so probably lots have heard it.

I think based on my first spin, nothing's really wrong about this disc at all, in fact, it's kinda great but it seems too laidback because the ballads and midtempo are too many but still much better than Pete's solo that sounds too poppish. The production is great and several outstanding tunes for me are 'Living In Yesterday', 'It's Over', 'What If', 'Nothing Last Forever' - which is like classic HS and he supposed to have more tracks like this, and 'Falling Down'

The rest are solid except 'I Don't Wanna Want You' a bit patchy. Not bad, but it has that new / modern touch, MUSE maybe. 85% for me and right now in my rotating top 10 so far

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised not many comments on this. Top-class stuff with only a couple of weaker tracks early on, the second-half of this is near flawless IMO. "Falling Down" is the pick of the bunch....

• My Little Pony

Am I the only one that loves "I Don't Wanna Want You?" On a whole, this might be my favourite album of the year. It's definitely competing with Hardline. (I told you my top albums would differ from you lot)

Am I the only one that loves "I Don't Wanna Want You?" On a whole, this might be my favourite album of the year. It's definitely competing with Hardline. (I told you my top albums would differ from you lot)

Not at all, this & Hardline are great albums.

So, uh, doods... are we acknowledging that this is pretty much a Harem Scarem CD? :lol:

All songs written by Hess, all guitar and bass except for 4 solos is played by Lesperance, all drums by Creighton Doane and Darren Smith even does backing vocals on 6 of the 10 songs.

The only difference between this and a Harem Scarem CD is that Lesperance didn't co-write the songs and play those 4 solos. Otherwise, doods, this is pure HS. Just looked at the debut Hess disc and that's the same - pretty much a full HS disc.

I loved the First Signal disc, but the facts for me with that disc was that Hess is one of the best melodic rock song writers there has been and he doesn't need a pack of clowns writing his songs, and that disc would have sounded awesome with any muppet with a good voice on it. I LOVE hearing Hess-penned songs and therefore this is much more in line with what I want to hear from a Hess CD.

'I Don’t Wanna Want You' is a little unfortunate, but not dreadful, but the rest in fantastic. Songs like 'Reach For You,' 'It’s Over,' 'What If,'

'Falling Down,' and 'Where To Run' are all amongst the best I have heard this year. Pure melodic rock perfection.

A disc like this too really shows what part Hess and Lesperance play in HS. Without Lesperance's song-writing influence, I love this really pure form of melodic rock, bar the blemish that is 'I Don’t Wanna Want You.' It really shows that it's Lesperance who brings that sometimes questionable modern edge to HS and I like hearing Hess on his own (with a couple of co-writers) in this style.

Yeah, I think with regard to the discs of the moment, I'd just give this the edge over the Eclipse disc. The best songs are all on this one, imo.

Yeah backed, think I said in the 'what's spinning' thread that this is pure HS, albeit very so slightly lighter. Right up there for me too but need more spins, and that first track rips off Eric Martin which mars it for me. Otherwise great stuff.

Dropped my sexy little review on this one tonight:

01. Living In Yesterday (04:28) - the verses are pure perfection. Chorus is okay but pales compared to the verses - 8.50

02. Reach For You (04:03) - perfect verses, perfect chorus… just love this chorus hook so much. Flawless melodic rock song - 10.00

03. Its Over (04:28) - sensational melodic rock ballad with a killer chorus hook - 9.75

04. Dont Leave Me (03:17) - like the opener, I prefer the great verses to the solid chorus… but a good tune regardless - 8.50

05. What If (03:30) - goodness I love this chorus… perfectly constructed lyrical hooks throughout the whole song - 9.50

06. Nothing Lasts Forever (03:23) - nice uptempo rocker… with great verses and a big catchy chorus - 8.50

07. Falling Down (03:18) - Young Harold at his absolute best again… stunning track with a magic chorus - 9.75

08. I Live For You (04:28) - great ballad with another great big hook - 9.00

09. I Dont Wanna Want You (03:05) - real unfortunate inclusion - way off compared to the rest - 5.00

10. Where To Run (03:10) - great melodic rock closer - 9.00

- TOTAL SCORE - 90%

Overall I couldn't be happier with the disc. It's a shame that one single crabby song brings the overall score for this down a bit, as it probably deserves a little higher. But this does contain some of the most exquisite, most perfectly crafted hooks of the year... the kind of hooks only Hess can craft. Absolutely love hearing what the man does best.

Ouch, 5 is a bit harsh.......I actually quite like that song in a querky kind of way, and probably 7 is a little fairer, which would push you closer to the correct score for this album - ie the same as mine lol ;-)

By the way the first song still rips off Eric Martin's 'Letting It Out'...completely.

Ouch, 5 is a bit harsh.......I actually quite like that song in a querky kind of way, and probably 7 is a little fairer, which would push you closer to the correct score for this album - ie the same as mine lol ;-)

By the way the first song still rips off Eric Martin's 'Letting It Out'...completely.

Honestly mate, I rate everything as honestly as I see it, but I admit I bent my back pretty severely on both this and the Eclipse CD. If this song was seriously on some shitty modern rock CD I'd probably give it a 1 or 2, but I'll credit Hess' allure to keep it at 5, but I could do no better. I skip the song, which says it all really. Same with 'Battlegrounds' on Eclipse - that's a 1 or 2 by anyone else. And the others I rated a 7 are 5 on any other CD I'd reckon, but there's something about EM's knowledge of his craft that makes me be more generous than I should be. :)

Never heard the Eric Martin song, or realised he ever wrote a good solo track. :lol: I'd love to hear it.

Honestly mate, I rate everything as honestly as I see it, but I admit I bent my back pretty severely on both this and the Eclipse CD. If this song was seriously on some shitty modern rock CD I'd probably give it a 1 or 2, but I'll credit Hess' allure to keep it at 5, but I could do no better. I skip the song, which says it all really. Same with 'Battlegrounds' on Eclipse - that's a 1 or 2 by anyone else. And the others I rated a 7 are 5 on any other CD I'd reckon, but there's something about EM's knowledge of his craft that makes me be more generous than I should be. :)

Never heard the Eric Martin song, or realised he ever wrote a good solo track. :lol: I'd love to hear it.

its on eric martin band - sucker for a pretty face.

its on you tube but i cant link here as im at work

Dude, are we talking about the same song? This one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFoRFvmp0n0&feature=related

Maybe it's just because it's new to me, but I can't hear the similarity at all? :lol: Creep. ;)

Maybe it's just because it's new to me, but I can't hear the similarity at all? :lol: Creep. ;)

fuck off you must be deaf.....the melody in the chorus is exactly the same!

I hear it, although the Martin track is much slower paced, but the chorus is very, very similar....OK too similar.

I hear it, although the Martin track is much slower paced, but the chorurs is very similar.

errr the same lol !

You guys are seriously stoned. I truly don't hear it at all. The only song I am vaguely reminded off when I hear the Eric Martin song is 'I never really loved you at all' by Benny Mardones (which is itself a stunning song), but even that's just a passing 2 second thought. I don't hear the Hess song at all. ;)