Shrinking sizes and higher prices

Jacob M.

I'm sure that everyone has come across this at some point. The contents of the products you buy are getting smaller and the prices are getting higher. The trend appears to only be getting worse. I used to occasionally find items that had changed. It wasn't something I thought about too much until Betty Crocker shrunk their products. Their cake mixes went from around 18 ounces to around 15 and prices remained the same. I believe that happened last year. This past week I've noticed Malt O Meal cereals shrink by as much as 5 ounces. Some prices stayed the same and some went up. Last night I discovered Pillsbury's cake mixes have shrunk by 3 ounces. What the hell am I going to find next?

It appears food companies are shrinking everything. I'm really not sure what to think of this. I know that it can't be a good thing.

Well, it's a concealed price increase. A trick the food industry is using all over the place to not upset the public. It's not as visible and most people don't even realize they are paying the same for less. Not much we can do about it, I guess, except maybe buy a different brand.

I've noticed it getting worse too. The bar soap I buy is about 3/4 the size it used to be but still comes in the same sized box and same price. Cheese slices are a lot smaller as are bread slices unless you want to pay more for "regular sized" bread. Also, 85% lean ground beef here is "on sale" for $2.99 a pound. It used to be regular price of $1.99. And I live in a cattle state. Prices are getting crazy. No wonder half the people in line at the grocery store are paying with some sort of ebt/food stamp card.

i think that's because of a tighter competition in the business. A simple trick to keep buyer from going to the rival's product while maintaining the cost because of inflation. I bet not many people will actually notice the less weight of a product but more people will notice the price difference

Similar experiences in the UK. What the supermarkets also seem to be doing is hiking up prices by a huge margin on some items, then offering a big 'multibuy' discount shortly afterwards. The discount looks generous, but still makes the price of the item more than it was a few weeks earlier. Very dodgy.

• 1 month later...

Here's a tip, farmers & ranchers are having to slaughter a lot of their cattle now due to the drought in the US. Beef prices are going to be very low over the next couple of months. After that, prices will be higher than they have ever been before. If you have a deep freeze and see a great price on beef I would suggest stocking up now because you will be paying thru the nose starting this fall.

• 1 month later...

I thought this was a thread about my COCK!!! my bad.

• 2 months later...

Totino's Party Pizzas used to be twice the size for $1.25 or so.... Now they aren't even worth the price because they shrunk them, skimped on the toppings and raised the prices...

Totino's Party Pizzas used to be twice the size for $1.25 or so.... Now they aren't even worth the price because they shrunk them, skimped on the toppings and raised the prices...

For sure. I used to put two on a pizza pan and about a quarter of each one would hang over the side. Now I can fit both on the same pan perfectly. At least they still taste great after a long night of drinking. :lol:

I just had an Uncle Toby's crunchy muesli bar. When I was in school in the 80s I could barely bite through them they were so big and thick. The one I had today was less than half the size. Shameful!

• 1 month later...

Last week I went to the liquor store to buy some beer. Prices have gotten ridiculous. About the cheapest I could find was $7 for a 6 pack. I ended up getting a 12 pack of Session seasonal. After tax it was $16.81. I ended up buying a case of the Session Black a few days later for the same price. Not sure if I can afford beer any more at that price.