JETTBLACK - Raining Rock (2012)

Nightrain

I think this album deserves a proper thread, so here's the artwork :

51hhhp9JEWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Upon first spin, I found that looks like this album needs at least 3 spins to fully grab the whole essence because my first impression told me that 'Raining Rock' is kinda inferior compared to the debut, but it's still a good, maybe very good album. It's heavy, very riffs oriented, although I'm quite sure there are probably 3-4 weaker tracks here.

The title track is nasty and awesome, if you have the limited edition, you'll get another version with Udo on vocal, and the other bonus track, 'Weapon', is an ultimate killer track which is definitely better than at least 5-6 main tracks.

The best track here could be the tenth one, 'Never Gonna Give It Up', a super commercially-driven song with a splendid chorus, and the next contender could be 'Prison of Love', and both are very melodic. Other tracks I like here are 'System', 'Something About This Girl', 'Sunshine', 'Temptation', and 'Side of The Road'.

So I guess this is worth around 85% for me

Gotta agree with that summation, but I actually think this just surpasses the debut because of those 2 super melodic gems. My favs stack up against yours too - first spin 80-85%.

Just wish they could have produced more songs like 'Never Gonna Give It Up' cos whilst it is an inspiro rocker in essence it is still great and their best song to date.

This arrived in the mail today - cannot wait to hear it! I admit that based on those comments above I am sad that they didn't take the more melodic / commercial route which I really hoped for, but I'm still hopeful. A good band regardless, and my enthusiasm to hear this is a good sign. :)

Wow, what a cool, old school cover! I liked the first album, I think I'm gonna give that one a spin too.

You should !

This arrived in the mail today - cannot wait to hear it! I admit that based on those comments above I am sad that they didn't take the more melodic / commercial route which I really hoped for, but I'm still hopeful. A good band regardless, and my enthusiasm to hear this is a good sign. :)

Prison Of Love & Never Gonna Give It Up you will enjoy a lot, my 2 favorites!

Not even close to as good as their debut. But still a good album. Raining Rock and Prison of Love are great!

Really? They sound virtually identical to me

Well, I gotta say I kind of loved it. I personally already think it's a lot better than the debut.

I like the debut plenty. It's the kind of album you can play over and over again. The thing that kept me questioning these guys was that I did play it a million times, but aside from 'Two hot girls' nothing else ever really stuck.

However, this new one is the opposite. One spin in I already had a good feel for a heap of these songs. The title track is a gem. 'Less Torque, More Thrust' and 'In-Between Lovers' are both good songs, but both typical of the debut. Solid rockers without a really great hook. And I swear there was an almost identical song to 'In-between lovers' on the debut too. 'Side of the road' is good too and 'The Sweet And The Brave' is the only weak song on the CD.

But my point is that I thought everything inbetween - tracks 4-10 were all pretty awesome. Love the two commercial tunes every speaks of, but 'Black gold' is a great ballad too, 'System' is a great rocker, I LOVE 'Something about this girl' - great lyircs too. And then 'Sunshine' and particularly 'Temptation' are two of the album's best tracks!

So yeah, for me the majority of this is really great and MUCH more instant than the debut, imo. And much better than the new Halestorm too, whom I kind of see as

immediate peers to these guys.

Mmm, I agree with everything you say except the last comment. Really good album and the tracks you mention are my standouts too, esp 'Sunshine', but it isnt as good as Halestorm. That is a killer album to these ears. :)

Mmm, I agree with everything you say except the last comment. Really good album and the tracks you mention are my standouts too, esp 'Sunshine', but it isnt as good as Halestorm. That is a killer album to these ears. :)

Yeah, for me I was hoping for something a bit catchier from each band and I didn't get it from Halestorm, but I did from these guys. I think Halestorm's debut is better than their new one, but like I said, I think this is a better album than Jettblack's debut. :)

Not even close to as good as their debut. But still a good album. Raining Rock and Prison of Love are great!

Somewhat agree.

After the first spin I'd say it's better than the debut. My favourite tracks are so far: Less Torque, More Thrust, Temptation and Weapon. That's a good, old hard rock album.

Btw why is this thread in the Sleaze/Glam category? :)

Somewhat agree.

The first release has better songs. The sound is there but Raining Rock just isn't as good in my opinion. I like it but not as well as the debut.

This is a release where you spin it once and find a couple of awesome tracks but might feel a bit empty overall. Then you spin it again and again and suddenly you are finding something to like with mostly every song. Not a grower, because I think it is way better than that.

Geoff, I think I know the song you think is similar from the first release, Mother F*cker...it has a very similar riff with some fast finger work. When I first heard I thought maybe it was a Mother F*cker Part II. Check that one out if and see if that is the one.

Anyway, I think this band has put out 2 great releases and nobody is wrong to say they like one over the other. Count me in as a fan of both!

Yeah agree, in the end, I think it will be a debatable subject whether which one is better but bottom line is that Jettblack is successfully created two likeable albums. Although I'm still favoring the debut, but not by a huge miles, but maybe that's because the new one didn't really sink in yet, perhaps couple more spins before I decide.

I liked this on first listen (some songs more than others of course), but I'm liking this more and more with each listen. And I perfer this over the debut.

In case anyone was not aware, there is a "Digital Exclusive Bonus Track" called Weapon that is worth the $1 IMO.

There is also a "Non-album Bonus Track" featuring Ian Paice called Feel The Love. I am not a huge fan of this tune but it is not bad either.

What does everyone think of the other version of Raining Rock with Udo Dirkschneider vocals? At first I was like that is weird, but now I like it. His style fits the song pretty good.

In case anyone was not aware, there is a "Digital Exclusive Bonus Track" called Weapon that is worth the $1 IMO.

There is also a "Non-album Bonus Track" featuring Ian Paice called Feel The Love. I am not a huge fan of this tune but it is not bad either.

What does everyone think of the other version of Raining Rock with Udo Dirkschneider vocals? At first I was like that is weird, but now I like it. His style fits the song pretty good.

Weapon is one of the best tracks IMO.

I think it's pointless to be honest. Udo Knowmyvoiceisterrible really has no place on any CD in my humble opinion, let alone this one. The first version is awesome and they should have just included 'Weapon' instead, which I cannot find anywhere on the net but I'll take y'all words on it.

Yep, Weapon is one of the highlights of the album but the Udo version is horrible imo. By the way I think that original title track is not a good song either.

Backed, 'Raining Rock' is horribly cliched and one of my least favourite tracks. Reminds me of AC/DCs Thunderstruck, and that is not a good thing ;-)

'Weapon' slays it.............stone dead.