glam_junkie

Do these actually get added to the price guide?

i thouhgt the aim of this section of the forum was to highlight auctions of more valuable cds so the selling prices will be added to the price guide for the main page?

i just noticed by having a look at some of the link to auctions i have supplied have never been added (eg see erotic suicide, nasty idols and heart throb mob threads).

Actually, looks like none have been submitted / udated at all.

If they are not being added then is there any real need for this section of the forum?

I think this is where the new moderators come into play.

See my update in the stickey above. With "new blood" hopefully we'll keep this updated.

-Dan

moderators... come out to plaaaaay!

tumblr_ljmnhhE5Ee1qd9yxso1_400.gif

That is such a good movie.

Can you dig it!

I like the idea of having prices on CDs, but there are just too many flaws. Take the Bravo 3 CD for instance, there are prices on there for $58,000 and $30,600 and $30,500 and $16,101. These are all auctions for boats, and there are many other auctions under Bravo 3 for water filters. And then you get a recorded price of NVS - s/t for $20.55, which was another hard rock CD with NVS in the title. And Oslo - s/t has two prices for $1.75 and $0.99 that drag its value way down. So like I said, it's a nice idea, but there are just too many flaws to make it work.

I like the idea of having prices on CDs, but there are just too many flaws. Take the Bravo 3 CD for instance, there are prices on there for $58,000 and $30,600 and $30,500 and $16,101. These are all auctions for boats, and there are many other auctions under Bravo 3 for water filters. And then you get a recorded price of NVS - s/t for $20.55, which was another hard rock CD with NVS in the title. And Oslo - s/t has two prices for $1.75 and $0.99 that drag its value way down. So like I said, it's a nice idea, but there are just too many flaws to make it work.

That's unfortunately always been the case. At one time I had scripts that ran and automatically compiled the data, hence the erroneous inclusions. There is no way to provide context. The simpler the combination, the more likely that errors are included, e.g., "Alien - S/T". That is further compounded by Alien having MULTIPLE self-titled CDs.

However, the programming library I was using for the eBay auctions now appears to be defunct and the author has not responded to multiple inquiries from me.

Now that begs the question, what to do going forward?

1. Remove the feature entirely (not my first choice).

2. Leave data as is and add to it manually based on reports; go through and manually prune obvious outliers as much as can be done.

3. Wipe the data to clear legacy errors and continue forward based on manual submissions (this would be the easiest to implement; legit data would be lost, however most of the legit data is fairly old anyway). Maybe establishing a new baseline is not a bad thing?

With the number of CDs on the sites, simply keeping up with eBay data alone could be a full-time gig.

Removing the automation from the equation and proceeding manually does have one major advantage: all data added will have gone through human eyes, so presumably these false positives would be eliminated.

I'm open to suggestions.

P.S. I wiped the Bravo 3 data.

3. Wipe the data to clear legacy errors and continue forward based on manual submissions (this would be the easiest to implement; legit data would be lost, however most of the legit data is fairly old anyway). Maybe establishing a new baseline is not a bad thing?

Removing the automation from the equation and proceeding manually does have one major advantage: all data added will have gone through human eyes, so presumably these false positives would be eliminated.

I'd go this route.

Sorry to reply here but can't get at the other from work.

My vote is in the following order:

1. Remove the feature entirely.

2. Wipe the data and go on manual submissions

3. Leave the data and manually correct them as submitted

My reasoning for just dumping the feature is if I want to know the price of a CD I just follow it on Ebay for awhile or just ask here in the forum. Prices vary from week to week on various CD's and the conditions of the CD's can affect the average. For example, I saw a CD go for $150 a few weeks ago but one sold last week for $49. But I know from watching those auctions one was mint, the other not so much. So observing gives me the best knowledge.

But my feelings won't be hurt if we go with 2 or 3.

just go with the manual submissions, and get rid of values for all the cheapies.

the automatic funtion kinda defeats the purpose entirely,as you end up with things that aren't entriely relevant.

i'm sure between folks on here most of the top-$ cds around the place are closely watched and really it only something worth a few $ where the price guide is important.

and if it helps with coding etc you could just keep the last 10 price records for each disc.