Mark Tremonti

Glen

I honestly can't see me ever checking this out, but I just had a sneaky listen to 'Giving up' and 'New way out' on youtube. Like I suspected, 'Giving up' just sounds like the blander type of modern rock I don't personally enjoy, but I gotta say, 'New way out' sounded pretty freakin' nice.

You'd hate it.

Bland ? Lol. The whole album is pure genius IMO. Continues to kick my royal butt.

Just a couple more thoughts -

1. Anyone hear Slayer in the opening of Brains? Thinking Dead Skin Mask era

2. Is the second verse of 'The Things I've Seen' one of the rock moments of 2012 or what??

I honestly can't see me ever checking this out, but I just had a sneaky listen to 'Giving up' and 'New way out' on youtube. Like I suspected, 'Giving up' just sounds like the blander type of modern rock I don't personally enjoy, but I gotta say, 'New way out' sounded pretty freakin' nice.

Yeah you were never gonna like this one mate. Download "New Way Out" though, great lyrics and big emotion-packed tune...

Yeah you were never gonna like this one mate. Download "New Way Out" though, great lyrics and big emotion-packed tune...

Yeah, I might get that one on my Ipod... leave the rest of it to you good chaps. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just laying down a summary of this album.

Lived with this for a few weeks now. I do firmly believe that this is a great solo album from Tremonti - unusual for a solo album from a guitarist to be restrained in the guitar solo area, but he has managed to strike a great balance between song writing and musicianship leaving any 'musical wank' out of the equation. Each and every solo here is not only awesome, but measured and perfectly fits the song in question and for that he should be applauded.

The song writing is of a very high calibre, with mature meaningful lyrics, great riffs, anthemic choruses. Subject matter is dark but what else would you expect from Tremonti - his delivery is intense and that is felt throughout the 12 songs on offer.

So song by song -

1. Leave It Alone - (7.5) Very Alter Bridge in style which is no great surprise, but the melody here is somewhat lacking compared with latter songs, but this rocks along nicley with a simple hook in the chorus and a great solo which lifts the song

2. So You're Afraid - (9.0) This is where things kick off. Real intense pace gives way to a soaring anthemic chorus completed with a

killer solo, great stuff.

3. Wish You Well - (9.5) This ups the ante a notch further. Brutal stuff with amazing riffs, double lick drums and solo. Wouldnt sound out of place on the Metallica Black album. Love it.

4. Brains - (7.0) Slows things down with a crushing riff and melody which reminds me of Slayer 'Seasons' era. A real grower, but for me lacks a real hook and could be lifted by a solo......still very solid

5. The Things Ive Seen - (8.5) First real ballad of the album and its a goodie. Excellent lyrically and Tremonti's vocal is very good. Another winning track - the second verse is especially good and a highlight of the album for me.

6. You Waste Your Time - (9.5) Killer metal track......the energy here is amazing...great riff, chorus, solo.

7. New Way Out - (9.75) Emotive ballad. Great vocal/solo.

8. Giving Up - (9.75) Another outstanding track, this time a rocker. Huge riff, amazing solo. Another definite winner!

9. Proof - (8.5) Slowing things down again with a mid-paced burner. Interesting chorus and short but awesome solo, another grower, but solid as hell

10. All I Was - (7.0) Bizarrely the title track turns out to be one of the weakest. Great energy and some pretty insane passages but lacks the melody and hooks of the other songs. Still great musicianship.

11. Doesn't Matter - (9.5) Great melodic metal number, with another amazing solo. Am I mean to dock half a point for not being able to pronounce 'matter'....you bet your arse...otherwise perfect stuff.

12. Decay - (9.5) Ending on a killer note. I call it the 'washing machne' riff cos when I listen on headphones it feels like youre in a washing machine....awesome stuff. Excellent chorus as well. Just missing a solo to make it perfect........

Overall 87.5%

• 1 year later...