Crazy Lixx

Jeff

Just dropped some thoughts on this one too. I don't appear to be quite as taken by this as you, but I am really digging it. It's a very good disc. Here are my (again much briefer) thoughts:

01. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - Great anthemic opener - 8.50

02. Young Blood - great hard rocker - 8.25

03. Riot Avenue - similar to the first 2, this is another great rocker - 9.00

04. Fire It Up - And one more - great 4 track attack to start the disc - 8.50

05. Downtown - Killer hook when it happens, but a bit of a jumble overall - 7.50

06. In The Night - solid rocker but not one of their best - 7.50

07. Church Of Rock - really killer commercial hard rock - 9.25

08. Heatseeker - great hard rock tune with a discreet but awesome chorus - 9.00

09. Sweet, Bad & Beautiful - okay rocker - the album's weakest song - 6.75

10. Be Gone - solid hard rock tune - 7.75

11. Only The Dead Know - killer ballad which really reminds me of Skid Row, in a good way - 9.50

- TOTAL SCORE inc Songs, Vibe, Production etc. (%) - 83%

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is my only surprise. To me that is one killer song. Crazy Lixx at their best IMO.

that is my only surprise. To me that is one killer song. Crazy Lixx at their best IMO.

Well I do think 'Be Gone' is a 7.5/10 too, 'Sweet Bad and Beautiful' is also a 7/10,

but still can't hear what you guys hear about 'Heatseeker', sounds like a 7/10 for me, but let me explore it again

best track for me is the first tune, 'Whiskey Tango Foxtrot', followed by 'Riot Avenue', and then 'Fire It Up'

total score should be around 80% after rounded down a bit and still way below 'New Religion' and 'Loud Minority' :D

Well I do think 'Be Gone' is a 7.5/10 too, 'Sweet Bad and Beautiful' is also a 7/10,

but still can't hear what you guys hear about 'Heatseeker', sounds like a 7/10 for me, but let me explore it again

best track for me is the first tune, 'Whiskey Tango Foxtrot', followed by 'Riot Avenue', and then 'Fire It Up'

total score should be around 80% after rounded down a bit and still way below 'New Religion' and 'Loud Minority' :D

Mmm 'Be Gone' > 'WTF' for me.

Both are obviously hard rockers, but Be Gone trounces it IMO. Hey ho, to each their own :tumbsup:

I've listened to most of these tracks several times online and as stated before I absolutely love 'Church of Rock' and 'Riot Avenue'.

For me, though, 'Be Gone' is really average, nice enough solo but overall nothing special at all.

To mark the songs (which I don't usually do) I'd probably go:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot; Good song - 8

Young Blood; Nice tune, won't be in a huge rush to play it again, but still good - 8

Riot Avenue; awesome chorus, great song - 10

Fire It Up; reasonable rock song, but very run-of-the-mill and not one I'd ever revisit - 6

Downtown; most annoying chorus of the year? Quite possibly, sounds like the sort of thing a teenage boy band would produce - 3

In The Night; very nice chorus and solo - 8.5

Church of Rock; very Leppard-sounding harmony on the chorus, great song - 9.5

Heatseeker; I'm not 100% keen on the chorus, but everything else about the track is good - 7

Sweet Bad and Beautiful; catchy tune, but gets annoying pretty quickly - 5.5

Be Gone; as above - 6

Only The Dead Know - 9 (I don't usually like ballads, but they don't get much better than this)

I forgot to mention that, but yeah I agree, I definitely still prefer the first two... especially 'New Religion.'

Dont really understand why you lot dont rate 'Be Gone'. :screwy: great chorus and really kick arse guitar throughout, sounds like prime Crazy Lixx to me.

New Religion was obviously a great album but definitely first half was stronger than the second. Also I think only two 10s on that album - '21 Til I Die' & 'Lock Up Your Daughter'.....really close between the 2, but I think I actually prefer the newie....

Dont really understand why you lot dont rate 'Be Gone'. :screwy: great chorus and really kick arse guitar throughout, sounds like prime Crazy Lixx to me.

New Religion was obviously a great album but definitely first half was stronger than the second. Also I think only two 10s on that album - '21 Til I Die' & 'Lock Up Your Daughter'.....really close between the 2, but I think I actually prefer the newie....

I'd rate several other "10's" from New Religion such as "My Medicine", "Blame it on Love", "Children of the Cross"(reminds me of PC69), "Rock and Hard Place". But that's just my opinion. I also love "Be Gone" and really like the whole new album but still think it comes up short compared to New Religion but I imagine it will still be in my top albums of 2012.

I'd rate several other "10's" from New Religion such as "My Medicine", "Blame it on Love", "Children of the Cross"(reminds me of PC69), "Rock and Hard Place". But that's just my opinion. I also love "Be Gone" and really like the whole new album but still think it comes up short compared to New Religion but I imagine it will still be in my top albums of 2012.

yeah fair dos, but personally I would take 'Riot Avenue', 'Church Of Rock', 'Be Gone' and 'Fire It Up' over any of those. Actually didnt like Children of the cross that much

Both great album though.

yeah fair dos, but personally I would take 'Riot Avenue', 'Church Of Rock', 'Be Gone' and 'Fire It Up' over any of those. Actually didnt like Children of the cross that much

Both great album though.

Find myself agreeing with the bit in bold above ... I prefer 'Riot Avenue' and 'Church Of Rock' to anything previous, for me they are the band's best songs so far.

Both great album though.

Find myself agreeing with the bit in bold above ... I prefer 'Riot Avenue' and 'Church Of Rock' to anything previous, for me they are the band's best songs so far.

I really like the new Crazy Lixx album a lot, but I do really think it's just missing those couple of really insane tracks of the past like 'Want it,' 'Make Ends Meet,' 'Heroes Are Forever,' 'Do or Die,' '21 'Til I Die,' 'Blame It on Love,' and 'Children of the Cross.'

Some of the tracks highlighted above aren't too far off, but the best of this band is definitely on their first 2 CDs, imo.

I can't believe people are slagging the new Crazy Lixx. Sounds excellent to these ears!

I like it!

• 1 month later...

I can't believe people are slagging the new Crazy Lixx. Sounds excellent to these ears!

Backed - one of the best this year IMO. I love it more with each spin in fact.

Backed - one of the best this year IMO. I love it more with each spin in fact.

I've rated it well and think it's a good CD, but there's just something about this CD that leaves me a little disappointed whether I care to admit it or not. I really love 'Only the dead' but there's just something about the rest of it that is not on par with that they did on the first 2 CDs. Songs like 'Church of rock' are great, but nowhere near the standard of the best of the first 2, imo. Good CD but easily their weakest so far... by miles.

I find this disc equally as good as the other two. I just can't understand how someone can say this is "miles away" from the other 2 discs. All three kick serious ass.

If I rated them all the scores wouldn't be that far off I don't think. I believe I gave this an 83% which doesn't leave that much space to create. It's not that the scores would be miles apart... it's just the overall feel and quality of the best songs - to me - really pales in comparison to the first 2 CDs. The first 2 CDs would both have a handful of 9.5-10 tracks without a doubt. The new one, aside from 'Only the dead' stuck pretty exclusively to the 7.5-9 range. I guess I just really value the tracks that truly stand out.

But there's also something about the production and lead vocals on the new one that is nowhere near as good as the first two. Lead vocals sound a lot more obviously strained and I just can't get used to the fine but only okay production job - especially the drums.

Still, good CD. ;)

Some really weird comments going on here?? Ok fine if you don't like the songs, but the production is first class.

I actually rate this higher than the other 2 discs - I pretty much love every song :-)

Church Of Rock is their best song to date IMO - everything about that is brilliant from the heartbeat like verse to the cool chorus and the brilliant close with solo.

I even love Downtown now. Perfect verse and lyrics and a very cool hook.

Yeah, 'Downtown' works for me too as it's one of the better hooks on the CD. Honestly, I really love 'Riot Avenue,' 'Church of Rock' and 'Only the Dead.' But the thing I think of most when I hear them? How good they'd sound like with the production job of the first 2 discs.

Have you heard all 3 discs back to back? I agree that the production on the new album is technically fine. It's all nice and clean and all that, but there's no meat to it. I was listening to the first 2 albums in a row last night and there's so much more power - they just sound so much, "bigger" for lack of a better word. It's mostly the rhythm section and backing vocals which just sound a million times better. But it is song-writing too. The first two albums have HUGE over-the-top choruses with hooks that keep going. 'Church of rock' is the only kind of bigger chorus on the new CD (And 'Downtown' actually). Most the others are solid two line choruses and that's it. Quick, simple hooks. It's pretty good stuff, but on the last two albums they'd have persisted and made them huge.

I dunno, I think Wes said it way early on. The new CD is like a stripped back version of Crazy Lixx. It's still good stuff but I personally think they sound far better with all the bells and whistles.

Yeah, 'Downtown' works for me too as it's one of the better hooks on the CD. Honestly, I really love 'Riot Avenue,' 'Church of Rock' and 'Only the Dead.' But the thing I think of most when I hear them? How good they'd sound like with the production job of the first 2 discs.

Have you heard all 3 discs back to back? I agree that the production on the new album is technically fine. It's all nice and clean and all that, but there's no meat to it. I was listening to the first 2 albums in a row last night and there's so much more power - they just sound so much, "bigger" for lack of a better word. It's mostly the rhythm section and backing vocals which just sound a million times better. But it is song-writing too. The first two albums have HUGE over-the-top choruses with hooks that keep going. 'Church of rock' is the only kind of bigger chorus on the new CD (And 'Downtown' actually). Most the others are solid two line choruses and that's it. Quick, simple hooks. It's pretty good stuff, but on the last two albums they'd have persisted and made them huge.

I dunno, I think Wes said it way early on. The new CD is like a stripped back version of Crazy Lixx. It's still good stuff but I personally think they sound far better with all the bells and whistles.

I agree. I really like the cd but it misses Laney's input on the production end. I dont dislike any song and really like many of them but after playing all 3 on random today it doesnt touch My Religion imo.

Crazy mofos all of you ;-) of course I've listened to them back to back probably 10 times or more & really I do not detect that much difference. If anything the 'stripped' back crazy lixx sounds better - huge bass and drum sound on the newie without that 'over the top' symbol sound from Laney which just drowns everything out .

Sure the rhythm guitar is less prevalent, but that doesn't make the songs rock any less hard. Also say at the end of songs like 'Be Gone' or 'In The Night' I really don't think they've rocked harder.

Hey to each their own but I love it - great band who have offered 3 awesome discs.

Crazy mofos all of you ;-) of course I've listened to them back to back probably 10 times or more & really I do not detect that much difference. If anything the 'stripped' back crazy lixx sounds better - huge bass and drum sound on the newie without that 'over the top' symbol sound from Laney which just drowns everything out .

Sure the rhythm guitar is less prevalent, but that doesn't make the songs rock any less hard. Also say at the end of songs like 'Be Gone' or 'In The Night' I really don't think they've rocked harder.

Hey to each their own but I love it - great band who have offered 3 awesome discs.

I agree 100%.