Crazy Lixx

Jeff

This is an excellent disc.....not sure what some were complaining about initially. All of their stuff is just good ol' plain hard rock with a touch of sleaze. Nicely produced record.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an excellent disc.....not sure what some were complaining about initially. All of their stuff is just good ol' plain hard rock with a touch of sleaze. Nicely produced record.

I think what happens is that some bands first few releases are so damn good that people tend to expect even better every time. I do the same but try to temper those expectations. I think as some folks are spinning this over and over they're starting to realize this is indeed an excellent release.

I tend to think it is on par with anything they have done so far. Great stuff!

I agree! And I feel that it has quite a bit lasting appeal for years to come...catchy, but not too catchy.

Btw: Anyone heard the Japanese bonus track 'Red hot red blooded'?

Just love this quote! Surely the Holy Grail of Hard Rock albums? :tumbsup:

Love the title track, hate 'Downtown' (the chorus annoys me soooo much) 'Young Blood' is okay, 'Heatseeker' isn't bad, 'Church of Rock' is great, 'Sweet, Bad & Beautiful' annoyed me at first, but I think it will grow on me, 'Fire It Up' is another very nice tune and even the ballad ('Only The Dead Know') sounds pretty good. Nice, another one on the want list. :D

A bit surprised to see all the hate for 'Downtown'...although I think the chorus is much better when it's played like in the bridge and at the end (drums not on every count).

I'm split on this one. Totally agree with Rick that the weakest moment of the CD is 'Downtown' and 'In the night' (even though 'In the night' should be awesome, it's just okay). I was also ready to skip 'Downtown' but it's an odd track. There is actually a section about 3/4 in where it's pretty good. It could be a grower - that song - so I'll see how I go.

Surprised some people don't dig those first few songs. They're actually pretty similar back to back, but I did like the first 3 songs a lot.

More people should be talking about how good 'Only the dead' is.

Love the title track, hate 'Downtown' (the chorus annoys me soooo much) 'Young Blood' is okay, 'Heatseeker' isn't bad, 'Church of Rock' is great, 'Sweet, Bad & Beautiful' annoyed me at first, but I think it will grow on me, 'Fire It Up' is another very nice tune and even the ballad ('Only The Dead Know') sounds pretty good. Nice, another one on the want list. :D

A bit surprised to see all the hate for 'Downtown'...although I think the chorus is much better when it's played like in the bridge and at the end (drums not on every count).

I'm split on this one. Totally agree with Rick that the weakest moment of the CD is 'Downtown' and 'In the night' (even though 'In the night' should be awesome, it's just okay). I was also ready to skip 'Downtown' but it's an odd track. There is actually a section about 3/4 in where it's pretty good. It could be a grower - that song - so I'll see how I go.

Surprised some people don't dig those first few songs. They're actually pretty similar back to back, but I did like the first 3 songs a lot.

More people should be talking about how good 'Only the dead' is.

That's probably the section I had in mind as well :D

I love 'Whiskey Tango Foxtrot' and 'Riot Avenue' while 'Youngblood' is around the middle of my fave-list of this album.

'Only the dead' is a real grower, great song! But then I already loved 'What of our love' from their last output...

It's probably nothing but I noticed on the back insert they have the tracks split into 'Side A' and 'Side B' like the good old days. Odd thing is, it really is like two separate sets of songs. Gotta wonder if they aren't going to be looking for feedback from the fans about which "side" of songs they prefer going forward.

I think what happens is that some bands first few releases are so damn good that people tend to expect even better every time. I do the same but try to temper those expectations. I think as some folks are spinning this over and over they're starting to realize this is indeed an excellent release.

Yepper!! 1/2 the Mafia has spoken!!! :lol:

3/4!

Not sure what I heard on first spin but after a few more this is pretty damn good and many of the songs I thought were just okay I really like now.

'Heatseeker' may be the weakest filler here

"Heatseeker" is my favorite track on the cd.

Personally I think the first half of the album is good, but not extremely memorable or even very catchy (although I'm sure most of the tracks will eventually grow on me). Definitely a turn from what the band is known for. Then, starting with track 7 "Church of Rock", it's a whole different story. Awesome, kickass, catchy songs that immediately remind me of their 1st two releases.

yep, im a heatseeker fan too :-)

Heatseeker is one of the top songs on here IMO.

Least fav is Downtown but even that song is still a good fun rocking tune so I wouldn't even call it filler.

'Heatseeker' may be the weakest filler here

"Heatseeker" is my favorite track on the cd.

Personally I think the first half of the album is good, but not extremely memorable or even very catchy (although I'm sure most of the tracks will eventually grow on me). Definitely a turn from what the band is known for. Then, starting with track 7 "Church of Rock", it's a whole different story. Awesome, kickass, catchy songs that immediately remind me of their 1st two releases.

yep, im a heatseeker fan too :-)

Heatseeker is one of the top songs on here IMO.

Least fav is Downtown but even that song is still a good fun rocking tune so I wouldn't even call it filler.

I like Downtown,it's not a favorite but it has grown on me.

3/4!

Not sure what I heard on first spin but after a few more this is pretty damn good and many of the songs I thought were just okay I really like now.

Great to see you're on board Wes!!! Killer album and BAND!!!

Yep, I'm with you guys - there's hardly a song I don't love - a slightly different sound to the first 2 albums but it's still killer stuff in the main part

I think my fav track right now is eithe the title track or Heatseeker or Fire it Up.

I listened to this today & my god I love this album. Would have to agree on those 3 tracks but the last 2 are killer too. Great album

Still find the chorus of 'Downtown' massively irritating. Absolutely love 'Church of Rock' though, one of the best tunes I've heard so far this year. The title track is pretty awesome too. Might have to download these 2 rather than get the CD though...

Still find the chorus of 'Downtown' massively irritating. Absolutely love 'Church of Rock' though, one of the best tunes I've heard so far this year. The title track is pretty awesome too. Might have to download these 2 rather than get the CD though...

Church Of Rock is a great tune - so too is the title track. But really there isn't a weak track here - some have dissed downtown & in the night but I love those 2. I mean how can you not like a chorus that goes 'there's a party downtown and your sisters invited'? Great sing-a-long stuff IMO.

Church Of Rock is a great tune - so too is the title track. But really there isn't a weak track here - some have dissed downtown & in the night but I love those 2. I mean how can you not like a chorus that goes 'there's a party downtown and your sisters invited'? Great sing-a-long stuff IMO.

I agree!

I don't have a sister...but if I did I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want some sleazy rock band inviting her "downtown". :lol:

I don't have a sister...but if I did I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want some sleazy rock band inviting her "downtown". :lol:

:lol:

It's sing-a-long stuff, but in a pub or beered-up football crowd sing-a-long way. I wouldn't want an album with 'Knees Up Mother Brown' on it and I'd put this in a similar category. There might be other tunes I like on this one, but so far I hate 'Downtown', 'Young Blood', 'Fire It Up' and 'Sweet, Bad & Beautiful' are okay, but expendable, whereas 'Riot Avenue' and 'Church of Rock' are absolutely killer.

Yeah, that actual chorus hook of 'Downtown' is actually one of my faves on the album, but otherwise it's such a messy track. Like I said above, though, some great moments.

Count me as another huge fan of 'Church of rock' and definitely the title track. Great disc.

Yes, but being on the other hand is/was quite nice!!!

Absolutely lovin this disc, maybe even more than New Religion :yikes:

1. Whiskey Foxtrot Tango - Great opener, love the whole vibe, clean production (sounds amazing) and very cool vocals. (8.5)

2. Young Blood - what a cool rocker, stepping up the pace. Hard hitting track with great chorus and solo, another definite winner (9.0)

3. Riot Avenue - One of my favourite tracks this year, man how good is this track? This can remain lodged in my tiny mind for a day or 2 after listening...just a brilliant track imo, that chorus is pure class. (10)

4. Fire It Up - opens up fairly pedestrian compared with the first 3 tracks, but when that perfect verse kicks in you know its another winner. Big anthemic chorus....and the slow part towards the end is very cool - proves how excellent the production is cos it sounds amazing. (9.5)

5. Downtown - this song has taken a bashing but only the lord knows why, a very fun rocker with cool lyrics, great verses, a staccato but hooky chorus....yeah I do like this one (7.5)

6. In The Night - another one that has attracted some negativity, but again for me this is a very nice uptempo rocker.....pretty much kicks arse in a major way. Typical Crazy Lixx styled pre-chorus and steps up for a fist in the air chorus....great ending to the track....the last 40 seconds makes me want to break things lol (9)

7. Church Of Rock - does sleazy hard rock Get any better than this? One of the anthems of 2012. Amazing hard rocker, and again the end is just f cool, as is that solo. LOVE IT!! (10)

8. Heatseeker - another track which gets lodged in my mind. Short chorus, but the hook is mountainous. (9.25)

9. Sweet. Bad & Beautiful - another fun medium paced rocker. (8.5)

10. Be Gone - another absolutely perfect hard rocker....as good as any track on New Religion IMO (10)

11. Only The Dead Know - Amazing ballad with a KILLER solo. Great end to the album, with a more serious tone. (10)

Overall : 92%