Shinedown

Glen

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't heard the song yet, but my word we have some old folk on this forum. ;):lol:

Can you speak up, sonny? My hearing aid isn't turned up. :lol:

Seriously though, swearing has become less about obscenity and more about emphasis. It really doesn't bother me... heck it's all over the workplace now.

The word FUCK doesn't garner raised eyebrows anymore and it has an important place in history:

General Custer: "Where did all them fucking Indians come from?"

Mayor of Hiroshima: "What the fuck was that?"

Captain of the Titanic: "Where's all the fucking water coming from?"

Michelangelo: "You want me to paint what on the fucking ceiling?"

Einstein: "Any fucker could understand that."

Sean Penn: "Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck"

John Lennon: "Is that a real fucking gun?"

Anne Boleyn: "Heads are going to fucking roll."

Richard Nixon: "Who's going to fucking know?"

Picasso: "It does so fucking look like her."

Christopher Columbus: "Where the fuck are we?"

Pythagarus: "How the fuck did you work that one out?"

Joan of Arc: "I don't suppose it will fucking rain."

Noah: "Scattered showers, my fucking arse."

Judge Judy: "Shut the fuck up!"

Paris Hilton: "Fuck me."

John F Kennedy: "I need this parade like I need a fucking hole in the head."

Leonardo da Vinci: "Call that a fucking smile?"

William Tell: "Keep Fucking Still."

(Shamelessly stolen via Google)

Haha. Amusement encompassed me.

Yeah, I guess I get the kid thing but there are still 48,000 CDs you can play around your kids and just spin the ones with swearing in your own time. Excessive swearing is stupid, but we don't listen to rap. If there is swearing in songs it's usually pretty infrequent and 99.9% of the time it's warranted. I guess it pops up a little more in modern rock that HH stuff too, so it's just a normal lyric to me. Just something that never bothered me personally, because I'm hardcore.

because I'm hardcore.

ngbbs44876dae020cb.jpg

That was me at Hill End over the Easter long weekend. I wasn't a great shot. :(

Haha. Amusement encompassed me.

Yeah, I guess I get the kid thing but there are still 48,000 CDs you can play around your kids and just spin the ones with swearing in your own time. Excessive swearing is stupid, but we don't listen to rap. If there is swearing in songs it's usually pretty infrequent and 99.9% of the time it's warranted. I guess it pops up a little more in modern rock that HH stuff too, so it's just a normal lyric to me. Just something that never bothered me personally, because I'm hardcore.

Doesn't really with iPods so much if you want to play random songs. I do accept that I chose to have kids so it's up to me to protect them from swearing in songs if I want to do so, but I think some of it is unnecessary and a bit rubbish. th_shrug.gif

because I'm hardcore.

ngbbs44876dae020cb.jpg

For some reason, I think it's the expression, this reminds me of Private Pyle.

• 3 weeks later...

Doods, I gotta say, this is doing close to nothing for me to be totally honest. So much so, I'm not even sure this is any better than their first two albums. In fact, if I recall, despite an average production job, isn't 'Us and them' heaps better than this? 'Sound of madness' certainly embarrasses this.

I actually find only 3 songs I really like on this, and even they aren't that magnificent. 'Bully' is a solid rocker (though nothing most every CD I buy from a band this year won't do 10 times better), 'Unity' is a nice ballad and the best song on the CD would have to be 'Miracle,' which is a pretty awesome song I admit. After that 'Nowhere kids' is a solid rocker kind of like 'Bully' but the rest is just pretty bland modern rock to me. The ballads are mostly really boring and this reminds me of the type of modern rock that was big in the early 00's before it got melodic and good. Stuff here reminds me of 2nd rate The Calling or stuff like that at times.

To each their own, but I'll be amazed if this is anywhere near my top 50 this year to be totally honest. :( Amazed what people see in this band that I clearly miss...

Oh, and who are the trippers saying this is more commercial/melodic than 'Sound of madness?' Just because it has a few bland ballads, I'm guessing? That commentary is way off mark, imo, because at least the last album admittedly did have some pretty great hooks, both in ballads and rockers. But there were no blatant dead in the water tracks like there are on this one... except maybe 'The crow and the butterfly.'

I said I was mega disappointed with the new Quietdrive CD, and I am, but to put it to scale I'd take that 10 times over this any day.

Doods, I gotta say, this is doing close to nothing for me to be totally honest. So much so, I'm not even sure this is any better than their first two albums. In fact, if I recall, despite an average production job, isn't 'Us and them' heaps better than this? 'Sound of madness' certainly embarrasses this.

I actually find only 3 songs I really like on this, and even they aren't that magnificent. 'Bully' is a solid rocker (though nothing most every CD I buy from a band this year won't do 10 times better), 'Unity' is a nice ballad and the best song on the CD would have to be 'Miracle,' which is a pretty awesome song I admit. After that 'Nowhere kids' is a solid rocker kind of like 'Bully' but the rest is just pretty bland modern rock to me. The ballads are mostly really boring and this reminds me of the type of modern rock that was big in the early 00's before it got melodic and good. Stuff here reminds me of 2nd rate The Calling or stuff like that at times.

To each their own, but I'll be amazed if this is anywhere near my top 50 this year to be totally honest. :( Amazed what people see in this band that I clearly miss...

Oh, and who are the trippers saying this is more commercial/melodic than 'Sound of madness?' Just because it has a few bland ballads, I'm guessing? That commentary is way off mark, imo, because at least the last album admittedly did have some pretty great hooks, both in ballads and rockers. But there were no blatant dead in the water tracks like there are on this one... except maybe 'The crow and the butterfly.'

I said I was mega disappointed with the new Quietdrive CD, and I am, but to put it to scale I'd take that 10 times over this any day.

Really surprised by this! Quite immediate songs, so maybe they won't have the staying power of others, but they sound like good tunes and I thought this would be right up your street. For me though, the lack of guitar solos is disappointing and has probably put me off buying this one.

Lol 'The Crow & The Butterfly' a dead in the water track! That's one of my favs off SoM.

Says it all really.

For My Sake is the best song on the new album by a long way IMO.

Lol 'The Crow & The Butterfly' a dead in the water track! That's one of my favs off SoM.

Says it all really.

Yeah "The Crow..." is a killer song. I do like "For My Sake", which is the best rocker on the disc IMO, but I like "Unity" more. I still can't decide whether I like this or H.E.A.T best so far this year...

Says it all really.

Yeah "The Crow..." is a killer song. I do like "For My Sake", which is the best rocker on the disc IMO, but I like "Unity" more. I still can't decide whether I like this or H.E.A.T best so far this year...

Yeah I re-listened to this this morning and still think it takes off from track 3....the first 2 are just fairly standard modern rock and not that exciting IMO.

Enemies and Nowhere Kids are decent rockers....nowhere near the quality of For My Sake or My Name which are my fav rockers on this.

Amaryllis

Unity

Miracle

For My Sake

My Name

Through The Ghost

Are all awesome 9/10 + songs IMO

Still think this will come in 80-85% which is pretty good for a modern rock disc these days.

HEAT is some way ahead though and I have a few others in between but this is safely in the top 10......at the moment.

Says it all really.

Yeah I re-listened to this this morning and still think it takes off from track 3....the first 2 are just fairly standard modern rock and not that exciting IMO.

Enemies and Nowhere Kids are decent rockers....nowhere near the quality of For My Sake or My Name which are my fav rockers on this.

Amaryllis

Unity

Miracle

For My Sake

My Name

Through The Ghost

Still think this will come in 80-85% which is pretty good for a modern rock disc these days.

HEAT is some way ahead though and I have a few others in between but this is safely in the top 10......at the moment.

I like this slightly more than you, and I like HEAT slightly less. For me this does pick-up from track 3 (though I do like "Bully" - the opener is weak though) and there isn't a duff track after. "I'm Not Alright" is in there too as a killer tune, and the variety of rockers/acoustic numbers is spot-on. With the HEAT disc, although I like the album flow, I just can't help wishing the last 2 songs were better. Is frankly very picky to find much to fault with either album IMO...

Says it all really.

Amaryllis

Unity

Miracle

For My Sake

My Name

Through The Ghost

I like this slightly more than you, and I like HEAT slightly less. For me this does pick-up from track 3 (though I do like "Bully" - the opener is weak though) and there isn't a duff track after. "I'm Not Alright" is in there too as a killer tune, and the variety of rockers/acoustic numbers is spot-on. With the HEAT disc, although I like the album flow, I just can't help wishing the last 2 songs were better. Is frankly very picky to find much to fault with either album IMO...

track 9 on HEAT is great IMO....track 10 misses a big hook and should have been dropped in place of 'Back Into Your Arms' (which is awesome)....album would have been virtually flawless then.

Hey Geoff, how many listens did you give it? This one has grown on me considerably from first listen.

Only the 3 times so far but each spin has left me less impressed. I'm almost scared to see what the 4th spin brings. ;)

One thing Tim said somewhere has stuck in my mind, though. He mentioned that this was the type of modern rock he likes. Alternatively, I have to admit that this is the type of modern rock I don't like. Which is why I'd guess a lot of people who like this probably really like Alter Bridge too. I just really have little interest in that type of modern rock which kind of has it's roots in grunge, distant as those roots may be.

I readily admit I like the big hooks, really catchy choruses and really melodic stuff... I guess the stuff that reminds me most of the bands I listen to here.

People reference that song 'Crow and the butterfly' from the last CD which is an absolute nightmare to me. I despise songs like that and think I skipped it probably the first time I ever heard the CD, and every time since. To me that still sounds like a modern variation of grunge.

Anyway, to each their own. These guys have somehow pulled a big fanbase in the melodic rock world so they must be doing something right. Just not for me. I said it before, but how this is even coming up in an honest comparison (in terms of quality) with HEAT is beyond the wealth of my knowledge. And I don't give a heck about the difference in styles. I mix all my modern rock and HH stuff these days and there is nothing at all wrong with comparing the two bands. I just can't fathom that people like this that much that it rates as high as that HEAT magnificence.

I like Downtown, it's got a huge 80's flavour, but a bigger chorus would have made it fantastic.

As far as Shinedown goes it is one of the best releases so far hands down. Not sure if it's better than the H.E.A.T., because the styles are so different, but both find as much time as the other in my CD player.

Out of curiosity, Dave, I remember you talking about these guys and their 3 track EP last year - but have you tried out Hit The Lights' new album, 'Invicta?'

I don't think it's off the charts or anything, and it's about as different in style from Shinedown as HEAT is, but I can't help but sit back and wonder why a great modern rock CD like that has been completely ignored by everyone (as far as I can tell) while this (imo, of course) far inferior Shinedown album soaks up the limelight.

Just curious if anyone gave the Hit The Lights disc a go at all...?

Not to try and turn this thread or anything, but here's a sample of what sexes me when it comes to modern rock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-LMjnyOUGo

Anyway, to each their own. These guys have somehow pulled a big fanbase in the melodic rock world so they must be doing something right. Just not for me. I said it before, but how this is even coming up in an honest comparison (in terms of quality) with HEAT is beyond the wealth of my knowledge. And I don't give a heck about the difference in styles. I mix all my modern rock and HH stuff these days and there is nothing at all wrong with comparing the two bands. I just can't fathom that people like this that much that it rates as high as that HEAT magnificence.

You're probably right about the Alter Bridge thing, this is more of a post-grunge type of modern rock (I guess how Nickelback started out, before they went more generic/hard rock) rather than the pop/rock stuff you seem to prefer. Guess it's the down-tuned guitar that's the difference. The same way you rate stuff like TRUST COMPANY (which is average at best IMO) is the way I'd rate Shinedown and Alter Bridge. Bands like STORY OF THE YEAR are somewhere inbetween. I'd personally rate ALTER BRIDGE's "Blackbird" as my fave Modern Rock disc of all-time, so yeah I do rate these bands pretty highly!

You're probably right about the Alter Bridge thing, this is more of a post-grunge type of modern rock (I guess how Nickelback started out, before they went more generic/hard rock) rather than the pop/rock stuff you seem to prefer. Guess it's the down-tuned guitar that's the difference. The same way you rate stuff like TRUST COMPANY (which is average at best IMO) is the way I'd rate Shinedown and Alter Bridge. Bands like STORY OF THE YEAR are somewhere inbetween. I'd personally rate ALTER BRIDGE's "Blackbird" as my fave Modern Rock disc of all-time, so yeah I do rate these bands pretty highly!

+1, but SOTY are better than both IMO....when the hell will they have a new album I wonder. Cant wait!

Out of curiosity, Dave, I remember you talking about these guys and their 3 track EP last year - but have you tried out Hit The Lights' new album, 'Invicta?'

I don't think it's off the charts or anything, and it's about as different in style from Shinedown as HEAT is, but I can't help but sit back and wonder why a great modern rock CD like that has been completely ignored by everyone (as far as I can tell) while this (imo, of course) far inferior Shinedown album soaks up the limelight.

Not to try and turn this thread or anything, but here's a sample of what sexes me when it comes to modern rock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-LMjnyOUGo

The only EP I bought in the past year was from Heaven Below, it was a good one.

As for Hit The Lights they sound good, they sound like what Hedley should sound like and not the dance pop drivel they are doing now.

The only EP I bought in the past year was from Heaven Below, it was a good one.

As for Hit The Lights they sound good, they sound like what Hedley should sound like and not the dance pop drivel they are doing now.

Really? It wasn't you? I could have sworn it was you and I building about how amazing the 3 song EP sounded? Oh well, that's my memory for you.

But yeah, they do have a great sound. A little one-dimensional over the space of the full CD, but it's a good dimension. :) All 3 of their discs are great, in fact.

+1, but SOTY are better than both IMO....

Yeah "The Black Swan" was probably better than anything by the other 2, but not their other discs IMO (good as they are).

Yeah "The Black Swan" was probably better than anything by the other 2, but not their other discs IMO (good as they are).

I love 'The Constant' now...great album.

I love 'The Constant' now...great album.

All great discs, but 'In the wake of determination' > all of them