Shinedown

Glen

Anyway, to the band in question, got around to penning my little summary of this disc and this is how it all came together for me:

1 - Adrenaline - solid rock opener - 6.75

2 - Bully - cool hard rock tune - 7.50

3 - Amaryllis - pretty nice but not amazing ballad - 7.50

4 - Unity - really great balladic number - 9.25

5 - Enemies - drab modern rock - almost modern grunge - 6.00

6 - I'm not alright - pretty annoying chorus with annoying instrumentation - 6.00

7 - Nowhere kids - another kind of annoying modern rocker with taunt-type chants - 6.00

8 - Miracle - really a very impressive tune - 9.25

9 - I'll follow you - could be absolutely dreadful but instead is only not good - 6.00

10 - For my sake - very good modern hard rock tune - 8.50

11 - My name (wearing me out) - solid hard rock tune - good but not great - 7.25

12 - Through the ghost - solid closing ballad, but doesn't do much - 7.00

- - TOTAL SCORE (%) - 72.50

Overall, a small handful of really good songs and with the lowest score for a song being 6, there's really nothing truly awful on here. It's a good CD - nothing more nothing less, imo.

To put that on the modern rock scale for me in 2012, I don't think it's as good as Blessed By A Broken Heart, Hit The Lights, Safetysuit, Young Guns, Dear Superstar, Summerlin, Before Their Eyes, Scream Out Loud or Fireflight but it is in good company, sitting about par with stuff like The Used, Kutless, Halestorm, Lostprophets, The Panic Division and We Were Sharks - all of whom have released CDs I like plenty enough... just don't love 'em.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, to the band in question, got around to penning my little summary of this disc and this is how it all came together for me:

1 - Adrenaline - solid rock opener - 6.75

2 - Bully - cool hard rock tune - 7.50

3 - Amaryllis - pretty nice but not amazing ballad - 7.50

4 - Unity - really great balladic number - 9.25

5 - Enemies - drab modern rock - almost modern grunge - 6.00

6 - I'm not alright - pretty annoying chorus with annoying instrumentation - 6.00

7 - Nowhere kids - another kind of annoying modern rocker with taunt-type chants - 6.00

8 - Miracle - really a very impressive tune - 9.25

9 - I'll follow you - could be absolutely dreadful but instead is only not good - 6.00

10 - For my sake - very good modern hard rock tune - 8.50

11 - My name (wearing me out) - solid hard rock tune - good but not great - 7.25

12 - Through the ghost - solid closing ballad, but doesn't do much - 7.00

- - TOTAL SCORE (%) - 72.50

Overall, a small handful of really good songs and with the lowest score for a song being 6, there's really nothing truly awful on here. It's a good CD - nothing more nothing less, imo.

To put that on the modern rock scale for me in 2012, I don't think it's as good as Blessed By A Broken Heart, Hit The Lights, Safetysuit, Young Guns, Dear Superstar, Summerlin, Before Their Eyes, Scream Out Loud or Fireflight but it is in good company, sitting about par with stuff like The Used, Kutless, Halestorm, Lostprophets, The Panic Division and We Were Sharks - all of whom have released CDs I like plenty enough... just don't love 'em.

Trouble is, you can't really rate this alongside other modern rock discs as it's in a different style to all those. I mean, it's as far removed from Safetysuit as it's possible to be... Frankly I think it's been a poor year for modern rock and most of those you've mentioned have been pretty average. Halestorm and Safetysuit aside...

To be honest my score for Shinedown will probably be about 80% & most of the tracks Geoff marked down I don't rate either. Where it's good tho it's excellent - unity, for my Sake & miracle are all 9+ scoring for me.

This is a way off Destine tho which is the best modern rock in 2012 :-)

To be honest my score for Shinedown will probably be about 80% & most of the tracks Geoff marked down I don't rate either. Where it's good tho it's excellent - unity, for my Sake & miracle are all 9+ scoring for me.

Yeah, I was looking in my car today and noted that Destine was the only modern disc I'd not rated yet this year, but that will rate up with BBABH so we needn't include it in this discussion of mediocre releases. ;)

And Tim, sorry you have to be the one to catch the full volume of this release of mine, especially because you're usually the least offender of this, but I cannot stand this 'you can't compare this to this' argument. Makes me want to break things and kill humans. If I wanted to compare One Direction to the new Death By Anal Gang Rape CD I could. Music is music and a good song is a good song. In my opinion H.E.A.T make better music than Lady Gaga because I much prefer their songs and I don't see anything wrong with that. And to where does it extend? Are we not allowed to compare the allure of women unless they have the same colour eyes, hair and bra size?

I truly don't get it. I don't need a CD to have same song titles and chord progressions to compare it to another CD. As long as there's songs on both I'll rate them as I would any other CD and the end score of a rock CD is comparable to the end score of a dance CD. They'll both use the same numeric system.

GASP I'm mad!

I'm not, but I hope my point is made. BBABH and Safetysuit destroy Shinedown. Basic fact. Are they different musicians and songwriters? Of course. But one is clearly better than the other and I don't see the harm in comparing.

Lap dancer out.

I like the BBABH but to me it ain't anywhere near as good as the Shinedown. BBABH are all over the place, they are all good songs but the variety in styles is way too vast, they need to focus on a sound that fits best....to me it would be along the lines of the track 'Forever'. A whole release full of melodic gems like that one would be killer.

I like the BBABH but to me it ain't anywhere near as good as the Shinedown. BBABH are all over the place, they are all good songs but the variety in styles is way too vast, they need to focus on a sound that fits best....to me it would be along the lines of the track 'Forever'. A whole release full of melodic gems like that one would be killer.

For me personally that's actually one of the things that really appeals to me about BBABH. That they can go from a boy-band-esque ballad to pretty heavy modern metal in the space of a few songs. The only common link being insane choruses and massive hooks. As long as they're still great rock songs, diversity like that is a good thing, imo. I think that the whole release is very, very melodic, to be honest.

I'm not, but I hope my point is made. BBABH and Safetysuit destroy Shinedown.

In your opinion of course.

Although I dont rate the new Shinedown album as highly as some others on this board (its probably already slipped out of my top 10), I can understand why some would prefer this style of album. To me it is more classic rock orientated in places which I know you hate , but at the same time some others love.

As for BBABH, yeah its got some great tracks (probably about 4 or 5), but also a whole bunch is silly growling and very silly lyrics in places which really doesnt appeal. You see to me Destine 'destroys' BBABH.....

For me personally that's actually one of the things that really appeals to me about BBABH. That they can go from a boy-band-esque ballad to pretty heavy modern metal in the space of a few songs. The only common link being insane choruses and massive hooks. As long as they're still great rock songs, diversity like that is a good thing, imo. I think that the whole release is very, very melodic, to be honest.

I completely agree with Dave on this. Shinedown take the honours for me. BBABH should just pick a style (I personally prefer the heavier songs) and avoid fucking ballads as they suck at them. I still play it, but no matter what anyone says I will simply never agree that this disc is close to making a top 10 of this (or any) year. Even the SAFETY SUIT (hardly a world-beater) has better songs.

I love the Destine disc, but it's a bit too safe and a little samey. The title-track is epic, but overall it's not quite flawless. Overall, because the BBABH is too diverse (in style and quality) and Destine the opposite, Shinedown come closer to nailing it than either IMHO.

Shinedown - 90%

Destine - 85%

Safetysuit - 75%

BBABH - 70%

I completely agree with Dave on this. Shinedown take the honours for me. BBABH should just pick a style (I personally prefer the heavier songs) and avoid fucking ballads as they suck at them. I still play it, but no matter what anyone says I will simply never agree that this disc is close to making a top 10 of this (or any) year. Even the SAFETY SUIT (hardly a world-beater) has better songs.

I love the Destine disc, but it's a bit too safe and a little samey. The title-track is epic, but overall it's not quite flawless. Overall, because the BBABH is too diverse (in style and quality) and Destine the opposite, Shinedown come closer to nailing it than either IMHO.

Shinedown - 90%

Destine - 85%

Safetysuit - 75%

BBABH - 70%

I actually find the Safetysuit to be a little safe truth be told. Its probably the slower style of song which doesnt appeal to me as much. In coming months I reckon the only 'modern' disc that will hold out in my top will be Destine...BUT I do have high hopes for the new 'New Device' album...the debut was really good so hopefully they can up their game and produce something truly killer this time round.

Shinedown - 90%

Destine - 85%

Safetysuit - 75%

BBABH - 70%

BUT I do have high hopes for the new 'New Device' album...the debut was really good so hopefully they can up their game and produce something truly killer this time round.

Weren't they a bit more like a hard-rock band (i.e, the style I don't like)?

Shinedown - 90%

Destine - 85%

Safetysuit - 75%

BBABH - 70%

BUT I do have high hopes for the new 'New Device' album...the debut was really good so hopefully they can up their game and produce something truly killer this time round.

Weren't they a bit more like a hard-rock band (i.e, the style I don't like)?

Mm, I guess they were a bit more hard rock in style..but the songs were really good IMO. A couple of excellent ballads too. Im hoping they can ramp up the melody a bit more this time.

Shinedown - 90%

Destine - 85%

Safetysuit - 75%

BBABH - 70%

I actually find the Safetysuit to be a little safe truth be told. Its probably the slower style of song which doesnt appeal to me as much. In coming months I reckon the only 'modern' disc that will hold out in my top will be Destine...BUT I do have high hopes for the new 'New Device' album...the debut was really good so hopefully they can up their game and produce something truly killer this time round.

For me the quality of song writing on the Safetysuit disc is a marvel. I agree that it and the Destine album (as well as Hit the Lights and Young Guns) are all "safe and samey" to a degree. But whilst that can be a bad thing, I don't think it is at all any of these cases because each album displays a band set in a killer groove and all albums benefit from one great song after another. The style may not vary much, but if I'm not mistaken, I think people were just hassling BBABH for doing exactly that? Dudes can't win.

Like I always say, a great album's a great album and there's no harm in sticking to what you're awesome at.

If Shinedown are the innovators of this lot (?!) then I'm not sure that mixing it up worked so well for them because half the songs are weak and the other half are good. What's wrong with just having all great songs? ;)

For the record, how these are sitting for me:

1 . Blessed By A Broken Heart - Feel The Power - 94%

2 . Destine - Illuminate - 91%

3 . Hit The Lights - Invicta - 85%

4 . Safetysuit - These Times - 85%

5 . Dear Superstar - Damned Religion - 80%

6 . Young Guns - Bones 79%

(several other CDS)

7 . Shinedown - Amaryllis - 73%

The style may not vary much, but if I'm not mistaken, I think people were just hassling BBABH for doing exactly that? Dudes can't win.

Like I always say, a great album's a great album and there's no harm in sticking to what you're awesome at.

I agree bands should stick to what they're good at. Trouble is BBABH don't sound like they've found what they are good at. Sounds like they're sticking a few different styles together to see where it takes them and who likes it. I like all the styles they play so I should love it, but I just don't quite love it enough. I'd buy their 5th or 6th albums when they've found a stable sound and ditch some of the experiments, but it's all too disjointed to make for a great album. I agree a great album is a great album, but with BBABH I hear more of a band growing-up a bit with each disc than having really nailed a particular sound, so greatness is a few discs away...

The style may not vary much, but if I'm not mistaken, I think people were just hassling BBABH for doing exactly that? Dudes can't win.

I agree bands should stick to what they're good at. Trouble is BBABH don't sound like they've found what they are good at. Sounds like they're sticking a few different styles together to see where it takes them and who likes it. I like all the styles they play so I should love it, but I just don't quite love it enough. I'd buy their 5th or 6th albums when they've found a stable sound and ditch some of the experiments, but it's all too disjointed to make for a great album. I agree a great album is a great album, but with BBABH I hear more of a band growing-up a bit with each disc than having really nailed a particular sound, so greatness is a few discs away...

I really hope that's true and they stick at it. With 'Feel the power' they have officially become probably the most exciting band for me to see what they come up with next. I fear that because of this anticipation they'll either split up or release something completely different to 'Feel the power.' Here's hoping there is a 5th and 6th album down the line, though.

One band that really did this to me was I See Stars. By jeezus I thought that last album was fantastic. I can't stop spinning the new one and I do enjoy it, but about 80 spins in I still couldn't tell you one song name or hook. All I know is that the music is absolutely awesome. :lol:

One modern disc I forgot to mention above:

My Darkest Days - Sick And Twisted Affair - 81%

Arguably the surprise of the lot so far for me as I didn't really expect much.

94% for BBABH....my oh my I wish I could see your breakdown for that....there are some defo fillers on there which you must be bestowing some 9's on and a whole bunch of 10s. Holy shit.

Rating is rating after all and its all about enjoying the music but it is interesting seeing how people rate these albums, if a little anorak :anon:

Here's my low down (for what its worth) -

1. Adrenaline - solid modern rocker with a great vocal (7.5)

2. Bully - bigger hook & sweet solo but the subject matter drags it down for me (7.0)

3. Amaryllis - cool sounding acoustic intro & huge chorus..this is what Shinedown do best IMO..classic vocal (8.75)

4. Unity - love the epic start. chorus is likely to be a live favourite, but the song is deeper than that..good solo rounds off a winner (9.25)

5. Enemies - step back in quality here - solid rocker with loads of energy tho (7.5)

6. Im Not Alright - epic orchestral feel again and very clever lyrics..chorus doesnt quite do it, but a cool ending (8.0)

7. Nowhere Kids - solid modern rocker, no big hook tho (7.75)

8. Miracle - excellent ballad (9.25)

9. I'll Follow You - nice ballad with cool solo - amazing vocal, but not totally sold on the chorus (8.0)

10. For My Sake - calming verse gives way to crescendo pre and anthemic chorus - Shinedown at their best..love the part when it slows and builds back to the chorus. Glorious. Best song (9.75)

11. My Name - best rocker. urgent verse and a bit powerful hooky chorus (9.0)

12. Through The Ghost - thought provoking lyrics in the final ballad - I mean this is clever stuff - good songwriting , but just missing a moment (8.25)

OVERALL : 83%

My main problem with this album is that, apart from My Name, the rockers dont really deliver. Going back to SoM era and listening to 'Cry For Help', 'The Energy' or 'Junkies For Fame'....those songs waste most of the rockers here. Having said that 'Unity', 'Miracle' and 'For My Sake' are 3 of the best songs theyve written.....so mixed bag but overall a really good album.

• 6 months later...

By far the best modern rock album of 2012. The vocals are amazing, the production sparkles and the songs in general are fantastic.

By far the best modern rock album of 2012. The vocals are amazing, the production sparkles and the songs in general are fantastic.

I still stand by my rating and that the rockers dont (quite) deliver in the way sound of madness did.

It is a good album though.

Destine is still the number one modern album for me in 2012. Almost flawless in fact. Love that band.

• My Little Pony

I still stand by my rating and that the rockers dont (quite) deliver in the way sound of madness did.

It is a good album though.

Destine is still the number one modern album for me in 2012. Almost flawless in fact. Love that band.

I should give that Destine album a listen, but The Classic Crime's "Phoenix" is my favourite Modern Rock album of 2012.

Haha... without having updated my list for a while, I already just counted 39 modern rock CDs from 2012 that I rated higher than this. To be honest when I saw this thread I forgot if this CD was released this year or last year. I still stand by what I said above. It's a fine CD, but any half-decent modern rock album appeals to me as much as, if not a lot more than this.

Lol 'The Crow & The Butterfly' a dead in the water track! That's one of my favs off SoM.

Says it all really.

For My Sake is the best song on the new album by a long way IMO.

Yeah "The Crow..." is a killer song. I do like "For My Sake", which is the best rocker on the disc IMO, but I like "Unity" more. I still can't decide whether I like this or H.E.A.T best so far this year...

Yeah I re-listened to this this morning and still think it takes off from track 3....the first 2 are just fairly standard modern rock and not that exciting IMO.

Enemies and Nowhere Kids are decent rockers....nowhere near the quality of For My Sake or My Name which are my fav rockers on this.

Amaryllis

Unity

Miracle

For My Sake

My Name

Through The Ghost

Are all awesome 9/10 + songs IMO

Still think this will come in 80-85% which is pretty good for a modern rock disc these days.

HEAT is some way ahead though and I have a few others in between but this is safely in the top 10......at the moment.

Not in the top 10 anymore (of course), but I still stand by these comments.

For the record it rated 83%, which seems to have happened quite a bit this year......will be tough to split all the albums hovering around 82-83%.

Lol 'The Crow & The Butterfly' a dead in the water track! That's one of my favs off SoM.

Says it all really.

For My Sake is the best song on the new album by a long way IMO.

Yeah "The Crow..." is a killer song. I do like "For My Sake", which is the best rocker on the disc IMO, but I like "Unity" more. I still can't decide whether I like this or H.E.A.T best so far this year...

Yeah I re-listened to this this morning and still think it takes off from track 3....the first 2 are just fairly standard modern rock and not that exciting IMO.

Enemies and Nowhere Kids are decent rockers....nowhere near the quality of For My Sake or My Name which are my fav rockers on this.

Amaryllis

Unity

Miracle

For My Sake

My Name

Through The Ghost

Are all awesome 9/10 + songs IMO

Still think this will come in 80-85% which is pretty good for a modern rock disc these days.

HEAT is some way ahead though and I have a few others in between but this is safely in the top 10......at the moment.

Not in the top 10 anymore (of course), but I still stand by these comments.

For the record it rated 83%, which seems to have happened quite a bit this year......will be tough to split all the albums hovering around 82-83%.

I also find alot of albums to be really good this year, but no big standouts that blow others away like The Magnificent did last year or Treat/Crashdiet did the year before. I have a good idea who will make my top 4 or 5, but after that it's gonna be tough to seperate 6 through 15 or even 20.

• 6 months later...