Shinedown

Glen

Anyway, to each their own. These guys have somehow pulled a big fanbase in the melodic rock world so they must be doing something right. Just not for me. I said it before, but how this is even coming up in an honest comparison (in terms of quality) with HEAT is beyond the wealth of my knowledge. And I don't give a heck about the difference in styles. I mix all my modern rock and HH stuff these days and there is nothing at all wrong with comparing the two bands. I just can't fathom that people like this that much that it rates as high as that HEAT magnificence.

You're probably right about the Alter Bridge thing, this is more of a post-grunge type of modern rock (I guess how Nickelback started out, before they went more generic/hard rock) rather than the pop/rock stuff you seem to prefer. Guess it's the down-tuned guitar that's the difference. The same way you rate stuff like TRUST COMPANY (which is average at best IMO) is the way I'd rate Shinedown and Alter Bridge. Bands like STORY OF THE YEAR are somewhere inbetween. I'd personally rate ALTER BRIDGE's "Blackbird" as my fave Modern Rock disc of all-time, so yeah I do rate these bands pretty highly!

+1, but SOTY are better than both IMO....

Yeah "The Black Swan" was probably better than anything by the other 2, but not their other discs IMO (good as they are).

I love 'The Constant' now...great album.

All great discs, but 'In the wake of determination' > all of them

Yeah that would be 2nd to "Black Swan" IMHO. "The Constant" is a good one, but 3rd for me...

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andrew just gave this one a 99% over at Melodicrock.com. Not sure I'd give it or anything for that matter a 99% rating, but the way Andrew grades 99% is a deserving mark for such a brilliant release.

Andrew just gave this one a 99% over at Melodicrock.com. Not sure I'd give it or anything for that matter a 99% rating, but the way Andrew grades 99% is a deserving mark for such a brilliant release.

Yeah slightly over the top IMO, but it is a great release. I also like the fact that he has given Halestorm 98% - another album which I love!

Yeah slightly over the top IMO, but it is a great release. I also like the fact that he has given Halestorm 98% - another album which I love!

Holy f*ck. Good luck to the dude and he must rightfully wish to stab people constantly disagreeing with his scores, but these 2 will both be less than 70% for me I'd guess and it's hard for me to grasp this almost perfect rating when each disc really has more average tracks than winners, it must be said.

With so many strong CDs this year, these 2 are disappointments. For the record, I'd give the edge to Halestorm but the songs until the first ballad are pretty freakin' average.

Backed x2. Love them both, great reviews too.

2 very good albums, but 98% is way way too high a mark for them. Mid 80's I would say

2 very good albums, but 98% is way way too high a mark for them. Mid 80's I would say

Yeah, I don't think I've ever heard an album worth 98%, but that's an old discussion now. Probably means he likes every song, but as you say both are closer to mid 80s by my scoring.

I'm agreeing with his reviews a lot more this year! I've got Shinedown/HEAT/Halestorm at the top of my list for this year too...

I'm agreeing with his reviews a lot more this year! I've got Shinedown/HEAT/Halestorm at the top of my list for this year too...

So far this year it's been pretty clear what is good and what is not.

The bands you mentioned are all getting high approvals, however other big names are getting mixed reviews at best such as Tyketto, Trixter, Great White and Wig Wam.

I'm still hoping that the best of 2011 hasn't yet been released....an end of the year surprise like the Magnificent was last year would be great.

My faves of 2011 are all over the place in rock styles: H.E.A.T. (Melodic Rock/AOR) Shinedown (modern rock), Van Halen (classic Hard Rock), Paradise Lost (Doom Metal), Dragonforce (Power Metal), Dynazty (Melodic Hard Rock) Jeff Scott Soto (Melodic Rock/AOR) and Blessed By A Broken Heart (A combination of all the other bands I've mentioned, they are hard to pigeon hole with such a variety of musical styles within one release)

• My Little Pony

The bands you mentioned are all getting high approvals, however other big names are getting mixed reviews at best such as Tyketto, Trixter, Great White and Wig Wam.

I'm still hoping that the best of 2011 hasn't yet been released....an end of the year surprise like the Magnificent was last year would be great.

My faves of 2011 are all over the place in rock styles: H.E.A.T. (Melodic Rock/AOR) Shinedown (modern rock), Van Halen (classic Hard Rock), Paradise Lost (Doom Metal), Dragonforce (Power Metal), Dynazty (Melodic Hard Rock) Jeff Scott Soto (Melodic Rock/AOR) and Blessed By A Broken Heart (A combination of all the other bands I've mentioned, they are hard to pigeon hole with such a variety of musical styles within one release)

So, what about your faves for 2012?

:lol:

I knew Canada was in a different time zone, but I thought it was 6 hours behind London not 6 months...

I knew Canada was in a different time zone, but I thought it was 6 hours behind London not 6 months...

DAMMIT!!! I still forget my age as well. It took me a few years to get on with 20 and not 19 when writing the first two numbers in a date.

Shinedown is a game of 2 halves IMO. But I do love HEAT & Halestorm - they are my favs along with Dynazty , Destine & Crazy Lixx. Also Peepshow & JSS are very worthy albums too.

• My Little Pony

DAMMIT!!! I still forget my age as well. It took me a few years to get on with 20 and not 19 when writing the first two numbers in a date.

I shouldn't laugh. I do the same thing. Everytime someone asks how old I am I say, "I dunno. 23, or am I 24? What year is it?" Time flies!

Not sure about that one, mate. Isn't this the same year everyone was raving about that Van Halen garbage? ;) Hopefully everyone's come to their senses by now, but I've seen quite a few other differences of thought this year.

For the record, my faves of the year would be BBABH, HEAT, Peepshow, Baby Jane, Hit The Lights, Safetysuit, Sunstorm and JSS.

For me, Halestorm and Shinedown are both very middle of the pack for me. Halestorm seem to have c*nted themselves for me with the first 4 songs on that CD. Should have cut all 4 and included the 3 bonus tracks instead.

Not sure about that one, mate. Isn't this the same year everyone was raving about that Van Halen garbage? ;) Hopefully everyone's come to their senses by now, but I've seen quite a few other differences of thought this year.

For the record, my faves of the year would be BBABH, HEAT, Peepshow, Baby Jane, Hit The Lights, Safetysuit, Sunstorm and JSS.

For me, Halestorm and Shinedown are both very middle of the pack for me. Halestorm seem to have c*nted themselves for me with the first 4 songs on that CD. Should have cut all 4 and included the 3 bonus tracks instead.

How does one "c*nt themselves"? I can imagine it to be very graphic. However I can easily see the pleasure in getting c*nted, I for one enjoy it when I get c*nted once in a while, it puts a bounce in my step for the remainder of the day.

How does one "c*nt themselves"? I can imagine it to be very graphic. However I can easily see the pleasure in getting c*nted, I for one enjoy it when I get c*nted once in a while, it puts a bounce in my step for the remainder of the day.

Nothing wrong with a harmless c*nting. C*nting oneself can be magic, but in the case of music it's not magic in this instance.

It's not all a loss with the Halestorm CD. It actually reminds me of the Trixter CD. A really slow start, but after that they smarten up a bit. Filling a CD with all the weakest songs at the start is a bad move, though.

I'm really surprised you don't love the Shinedown CD, Geoff me old mucker. I don't like modern rock at all, but for me the only thing wrong with this is the lack of guitar solos. If you like modern rock and can get past the lack of solos, the songs sound really good, very catchy tunes, etc. For me though, a rock album without guitar solos (or with only 1 or 2 over the course of the whole album) is like a weekend without beer.

• My Little Pony

:rofl2:

Can we get this thread stickied? This shit is hilarious!

I'm really surprised you don't love the Shinedown CD, Geoff me old mucker. I don't like modern rock at all, but for me the only thing wrong with this is the lack of guitar solos. If you like modern rock and can get past the lack of solos, the songs sound really good, very catchy tunes, etc. For me though, a rock album without guitar solos (or with only 1 or 2 over the course of the whole album) is like a weekend without beer.

:lol: I can honestly say I've not been called an old mucker before, and I love it. ;)

Massive fan of modern rock here, which is why I'm so constantly baffled by the adoration for these guys. This album is nice enough, though patchy, but imo there is just soooooo much better out there than this. All the time, constantly. This is just middle of the road to me and I just think a lot of bands do it better.

Halestorm seem to have c*nted themselves for me with the first 4 songs on that CD. Should have cut all 4 and included the 3 bonus tracks instead.

those 3 'bonus' tracks are nicely included on my disc. :whistle:

Halestorm seem to have c*nted themselves for me with the first 4 songs on that CD. Should have cut all 4 and included the 3 bonus tracks instead.

I rated this album the other day and included the 3 bonus tracks, which made it a 74% disc instead of a sub-70% disc.

I rated this album the other day and included the 3 bonus tracks, which made it a 74% disc instead of a sub-70% disc.

still at least 20% more than Trixter ;)

still at least 20% more than Trixter ;)

Haha. Time will tell. They'll probably rate quite the same, I dare say. Both have their moments, and other non-moments.