Blessed By A Broken Heart: "Feel the Power" review

Musically, not bad at all... Vocally... The grumpy bastard making all the growls needs to go

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

BBABH - Feel The Power :beerbang:

People will hate and stone me, but I finally dropped a rating on this mofo a few days ago after constant spins and I went there... dropped a 97% on it. I ended up trying to look for reasons to rate it a little lower, or more "sensibly." But trying to find a fault with this album was the biggest problem. There is nothing I don't absolutely adore about it... including the cheesy but still appealing lyrics. It's going to take something truly sensational to top this in 2012, for me personally. :)

It wont be that high for me...I still find some of the 'rough' vocals unecessary and annoying. The songs with 'clean' vocals I enjoy much more. Good album tho.

I'll give you some reasons to rate it more "sensibly". The vocals suck, too many songs either lack hooks or are embarrasingly cheesy, and the guitar is tuneless. In all fairness there are some good songs, and overall it's about a 6/10, but nothing special IMO. Think I gave their last album 7/10 given it was original and interesting than this one.

Cheesy or not I love 'Deathwish'..........man that song rocks.

I'll bring this one to an appropriate thread - my mistake for starting off in the wrong thread.

Yeah, I got nothing against cheesy lyrics as long as it still appeals to me. Shit about God, never giving up and fighting for your dreams is unbearable to me personally, but there's nothing on this disc lyrically that isn't appealing and actually kinda fun.

Of the points raised here - Glen, I have to admit the vocals don't bother me. The screams are very, very minimal and even when they do happen, I don't mind decipherable screams - never have. It's the Tim-style growls that I can't stand.

Tim, mate, 100% totally disagree about the vocals. To the point, where in the modern rock genre I can't off the top of my head think of too many vocalists who sound better than this dude. Like I said about the ballad, I was blown away by how much I actually think this guy can sing, which I admit, is a change for modern rock. I certainly don't think his vocals suck by any means.

Songs lack hooks? WTF? If you hadn't said the same thing about Steel Panther last year I'd be more surprised, but that statement amazes me. Love or hate these guys, but this is the catchiest, most blatantly commercial and hook driven album I've heard in an age. Right down to the use of 'whoah's all over the place, soaring 80's harmony vocals. No hooks? Wow, mate. :( The only complaint I could see someone making about it is that it's too commercial / hooky. But for me personally, that = perfection.

If the guitar is tuneless - and I am no musician so I don't know or care enough to judge this - then I like tuneless guitar, because it sounds fine to me. :)

Anyway, to each their own. I don't expect this album to be for everyone at all. It's just that for me it does really tick all the boxes.

I think I summed-up my opinion on the first spin thread. Patchy (there is obvious filler like "Skate or Die"), overly-cheesy in places ("Forever" rhymes together/forever in a chorus that sounds like a nursery rhyme - either way it's shit), and with singly THE worst ballad I have heard in this genre in years. Surely that song is a joke? The vocals are pretty weak/average, on the verses of "I've Got You" he's blatantly off-key, and the growling vocals sound a little like a small dog after you've stepped on it's tail. The guitar work is odd IMO. Some flashy fast intros - but as I said earlier, fast playing does not equate to talent, otherwise Dragonforce would be legends - and virtually no rhythm guitar at all. Some half-decent solo's but they're all buried in the mix anyway, but the heavier sections liven this up considerably. For me this is weaker than their last album, doesn't have enough good songs (though there are 2 or 3 I really like), and is no better/worse/different than recent albums by Escape the Fate/Falling In Reverse etc, and in places it's reminiscent of Reckless Love (but definitely not as good). About 6/10 I'd say.

I think I summed-up my opinion on the first spin thread. Patchy (there is obvious filler like "Skate or Die"), overly-cheesy in places ("Forever" rhymes together/forever in a chorus that sounds like a nursery rhyme - either way it's shit), and with singly THE worst ballad I have heard in this genre in years. Surely that song is a joke? The vocals are pretty weak/average, on the verses of "I've Got You" he's blatantly off-key, and the growling vocals sound a little like a small dog after you've stepped on it's tail. The guitar work is odd IMO. Some flashy fast intros - but as I said earlier, fast playing does not equate to talent, otherwise Dragonforce would be legends - and virtually no rhythm guitar at all. Some half-decent solo's but they're all buried in the mix anyway, but the heavier sections liven this up considerably. For me this is weaker than their last album, doesn't have enough good songs (though there are 2 or 3 I really like), and is no better/worse/different than recent albums by Escape the Fate/Falling In Reverse etc, and in places it's reminiscent of Reckless Love (but definitely not as good). About 6/10 I'd say.

Ha, I originally thought 'I've got you' was too gay for words - 100% thought it was a joke too - but like I said earlier, I'll be damned if I don't find myself sexually attracted to it's blatantly lungeful stab at radio superstardom. And good luck to 'em... Party animals. I seriously think that's all it is - a desperate attempt to hit the airwaves.

Ha, I originally thought 'I've got you' was too gay for words - 100% thought it was a joke too - but like I said earlier, I'll be damned if I don't find myself sexually attracted to it's blatantly lungeful stab at radio superstardom. And good luck to 'em... Party animals. I seriously think that's all it is - a desperate attempt to hit the airwaves.

I really like 'Ive Got You'. Great song IMO.

Tim, some of your comments are just weird.....just like when you slagged Destrophy off last year (!) - I seriously believe that you have gone off hooky modern rock??!

Admittedly there are some negative points on this album - still cant stand growly vocals (its all just so unecessary), some bits sound a bit 'processed' and some is yeah well cheesy - but to claim that there are

1. No hooks

2. The dude cant sing

3. the guys cant play in tune

is well off the mark.

I really like 'Ive Got You'. Great song IMO.

Tim, some of your comments are just weird.....just like when you slagged Destrophy off last year (!) - I seriously believe that you have gone off hooky modern rock??!

Admittedly there are some negative points on this album - still cant stand growly vocals (its all just so unecessary), some bits sound a bit 'processed' and some is yeah well cheesy - but to claim that there are

1. No hooks

2. The dude cant sing

3. the guys cant play in tune

is well off the mark.

You're both very defensive about "I've Got You", but you have to admit - it is totally OTT and cringeworthy, and is cheesier than most boy-band ballads. The whole chanty-vocals thing half-way through is just plain ridiculous. By comparison, TREAT'S "A Life To Die For" is like Death Metal.

I didn't say this has no hooks, just that it doesn't have enough. 6/10 is an okay rating, for an okay album. Too patchy though. I don't mind the overall style, and yes I do LOVE hooky Modern Rock - I just think this is a pretty average example of it. I genuinely prefer their last disc, which had fewer fillers IMO. Oh, and say what you like, the guitar playing (there is only lead guitar on here, no rhythm) is just like an after-thought. Plus there are zillion's of kids these days that can play the guitar, but there aren't many that add melody/feeling and augment a song rather than piss all over it. For me, this album has some good, some bad, and some downright fucking ugly.

I still say get rid of the growling vocals and this one would be a stunner. It would be similar to Taking Dawn from 2010...that's a band I'm anxious to hear from again.

I've Got You is great...but let's face it, it has no bussiness being on this release. Other than the big guitars in the solo and at the end of the song, it's very soft. It sorta like the song 'Fly' from Sugar Ray. That ballad propelled the band to new hights, but it sounded nothing like any other track on the album. Top 40 pop fans who bought that Sugar Ray for that one track or even bought Extreme for More Than Words sure got a surprise when they played the entire disc.

The same can almost be said for the following track Rockin' All Night. I love the song, but it doesn't belong. It's almost sounds like 90's Country Rock à la Little Texas with Danger Danger. If you look at the 'Mad Max' styled costumes they are wearing and are listening to Rockin' All Night, you must be saying to yourself...WTF????

I still say get rid of the growling vocals and this one would be a stunner. It would be similar to Taking Dawn from 2010...that's a band I'm anxious to hear from again.

I've Got You is great...but let's face it, it has no bussiness being on this release. Other than the big guitars in the solo and at the end of the song, it's very soft. It sorta like the song 'Fly' from Sugar Ray. That ballad propelled the band to new hights, but it sounded nothing like any other track on the album. Top 40 pop fans who bought that Sugar Ray for that one track or even bought Extreme for More Than Words sure got a surprise when they played the entire disc.

The same can almost be said for the following track Rockin' All Night. I love the song, but it doesn't belong. It's almost sounds like 90's Country Rock à la Little Texas with Danger Danger. If you look at the 'Mad Max' styled costumes they are wearing and are listening to Rockin' All Night, you must be saying to yourself...WTF????

See I just don't get the Taking Dawn comparison much. I actually like this much more than TD, who IMHO are just a poor-man's Skid Row or something (I realise I'm the only person on planet HH with this view!). This is much more modern sounding and mixes styles up a bit, which makes it more than just an 80's rehash. That's why I like the last Hinder disc more than the 2 before it - it's more of a modern sounding album with a mix of styles. "Rockin' All Night" is odd, so is "Scream It..." which sounds like synth-driven dance/pop. I do prefer these tunes to those that are more straight-ahead hard rock though (like the opening two) as they have better choruses.

See I just don't get the Taking Dawn comparison much. I actually like this much more than TD, who IMHO are just a poor-man's Skid Row or something (I realise I'm the only person on planet HH with this view!). This is much more modern sounding and mixes styles up a bit, which makes it more than just an 80's rehash. That's why I like the last Hinder disc more than the 2 before it - it's more of a modern sounding album with a mix of styles. "Rockin' All Night" is odd, so is "Scream It..." which sounds like synth-driven dance/pop. I do prefer these tunes to those that are more straight-ahead hard rock though (like the opening two) as they have better choruses.

I love Taking Damn but yeah, this kills that disc, imo. Hope those guys offer up some healthy competition this year, though.

Just a quick, one mate, but you refer to the synth driven dance pop on a track you dislike, but the last CD is pretty much synth driven from start to end, along with heavy music too. But the previous disc is 100% heavier on the keys than this one, imo.

I love Taking Damn but yeah, this kills that disc, imo. Hope those guys offer up some healthy competition this year, though.

Just a quick, one mate, but you refer to the synth driven dance pop on a track you dislike, but the last CD is pretty much synth driven from start to end, along with heavy music too. But the previous disc is 100% heavier on the keys than this one, imo.

I can actually relate to the comment that the guitar solos seem like an after thought. Every solo is pretty killer granted but does it really fit the track in question....sometimes yes, sometimes no is the answer.

I would say that I really like about 6 or 7 of the tracks, with one or 2 being pretty killer (Deathwish is by far my fav!) so I guess this will come in the lower 80s % which is a pretty good score for a modern disc from me. Just finishing up reading a 1,000 page book so will lay a rating by track on this next week.

The excessive guitar solo part is still questionable whether necessary or not, I can sense some overplaying there but most of them are nice and hm i think it enhances the whole album and stood up as a better modern rock album i guess. 85% and still stand that way for me, we'll probably have almost the same rating

I wasn't sold at all on 'Pedal To The Metal' bar a couple of tracks, but I'm very glad I checked this one out, as it is really excellent. Loads of great songs especially 'Deathwish', 'Shut Up And Rock' 'Forever', 'Scream It Like You Mean It', 'Rockin' All Night' and the ballad 'I've Got You' is great aswell. Big up to the Production on here which is superb and really brings out those excellent backing vocals which feature prominently (very H.E.A.T like in places) and lift the album up a couple of notches. Good to hear those horrible cheesy keyboards have gone too, along with most of the screamo vocals which have basically completely changed the bands sound, very much for the better imo. Anyways - a nice surprise and a great album all in all.

I wasn't sold at all on 'Pedal To The Metal' bar a couple of tracks, but I'm very glad I checked this one out, as it is really excellent. Loads of great songs especially 'Deathwish', 'Shut Up And Rock' 'Forever', 'Scream It Like You Mean It', 'Rockin' All Night' and the ballad 'I've Got You' is great aswell. Big up to the Production on here which is superb and really brings out those excellent backing vocals which feature prominently (very H.E.A.T like in places) and lift the album up a couple of notches. Good to hear those horrible cheesy keyboards have gone too, along with most of the screamo vocals which have basically completely changed the bands sound, very much for the better imo. Anyways - a nice surprise and a great album all in all.

:tumbsup:

• 3 months later...

94% for BBABH....my oh my I wish I could see your breakdown for that....there are some defo fillers on there which you must be bestowing some 9's on and a whole bunch of 10s. Holy shit.

Rating is rating after all and its all about enjoying the music but it is interesting seeing how people rate these albums, if a little anorak :anon:

Your wish is my command:

1 - Deathwish - absolute killer opener with an amazing chorus - 9.75

2 - Shut up and rock - cheesy, but huge and just crazily excellent - 9.75

3 - Love nightmare - great big commercial rocker with a house-sized chorus and delicious heavy verses - 9.50

4 - Forever - perfect melodic rock - 10.00

5 - Holdin' back for nothin' - killer hard rocker with another explosive chorus - 9.25

6 - I've got you - sappy, cheesy ballad, but so appealing, and I love the momentum build up - 9.25

7 - Rockin' all night - great fun rocker hard rocker - weakest of the CD, though - almost modern Poison-ish - 8.25

8 - Scream it like you mean it - killer modern hard rocker with another gigantic hook and chorus - 9.50

9 - Skate or die - killer tune - corny lyrics but an otherwise perfect song - 9.50

10 - Innocent blood - solid hard rocker with a musical outro which blows my mind - 9.25

11 - Sleepless nights - killer song which is basically a perfect melodic hard rock song - 9.75

- - TOTAL SCORE inc Songs, Vibe, Production etc. (%) - 94%

If there's fillers on a deluxe version with bonus tracks, I missed that one. But on my copy there's nothing but sheer perfection. I get that everyone doesn't agree with me at all on this, but this is what I listen to music for.

94% for BBABH....my oh my I wish I could see your breakdown for that....there are some defo fillers on there which you must be bestowing some 9's on and a whole bunch of 10s. Holy shit.

Rating is rating after all and its all about enjoying the music but it is interesting seeing how people rate these albums, if a little anorak :anon:

Your wish is my command:

3 - Love nightmare - great big commercial rocker with a house-sized chorus and delicious heavy verses - 9.50

5 - Holdin' back for nothin' - killer hard rocker with another explosive chorus - 9.25

6 - I've got you - sappy, cheesy ballad, but so appealing, and I love the momentum build up - 9.25

7 - Rockin' all night - great fun rocker hard rocker - weakest of the CD, though - almost modern Poison-ish - 8.25

8 - Scream it like you mean it - killer modern hard rocker with another gigantic hook and chorus - 9.50

9 - Skate or die - killer tune - corny lyrics but an otherwise perfect song - 9.50

10 - Innocent blood - solid hard rocker with a musical outro which blows my mind - 9.25

11 - Sleepless nights - killer song which is basically a perfect melodic hard rock song - 9.75

If there's fillers on a deluxe version with bonus tracks, I missed that one. But on my copy there's nothing but sheer perfection. I get that everyone doesn't agree with me at all on this, but this is what I listen to music for.

Obviously I don't agree (or understand) your views at all, but I particularly don't understand giving the ballad more than about 3/10. I mean, surely that just outright sucks?

• My Little Pony

Your wish is my command:

Apart from our preference to having Matt in the middle, Geoff and I will probably never be in agreeance moreso than in the matter of this disc. I find no faults anywhere.

Your wish is my command:

Apart from our preference to having Matt in the middle, Geoff and I will probably never be in agreeance moreso than in the matter of this disc. I find no faults anywhere.

And that's about it for me too, Tim. There's not much to understand other than, as I said above, this album is pretty much what I turn a stereo on for. If you asked me what more I could want from a CD there'd be little I could say.

The ballad is cheesy as hell, but I love the way it turns into what it turns into, and the cheesiness kind of works in it's favour. Aside from the chorus in 'Rockin' all night' (despite perfect verses and pre-chorus) everything else on this CD is pure and simply magic in motion to me.

Lots of discussion on this disc and rightly so given the mix of styles and what they try to achieve...lived with this for a while now (think I promised a summary back in Feb or something!) so here goes.......

1. Deathwish - monstrous rocker, i freakin love this track...only thing keeping this off a 10 is some silly growling vocals. Best opener this year (9.75)

2. Shut Up & Rock - lame lyrics and dreadfully cliched, also some silly growling again, lowers what is otherwise a pretty decent song. Neat musical passage with good solos but a bit gallopy (8.0)

3. Love Nightmare - Ouch, hate the verses...really cant understand a word. chorus is good, but cant help thinking this is only half a song. (6.5)

4. Forever - Clean vocals throughout ( :tumbsup: )..and how much better is that?! great melodic tune with a killer hook (9.0)

5. Holdin Back For Nothin - wow, frantic intro and to be honest the pace doesnt let up..clean vox tho and a pretty cool chorus...this is one I was humming some time after as well so props for that (8.5)

6. Ive Got You - i guess lyrically it is a bit suspect, but I do like this one. the solos/outro are pretty special (8.5)

7. Rockin All Night - very poisonish and utterly dreadful subject matter. I'd be embarrassed to play this to anyone I knew....all decently played but just so cliched. Not for me im afraid, i would skip this every time. (5.0)

8. Scream It Like You Mean It - I do like this one, but the vocals are all a bit high for my taste. Also the solo is a bit annoying and twiddly? decent tune tho and no growling (7.5)

9. Skate Or Die - clearly the 2nd best tune for me. dragged down slightly by some growling but a great song/solo (9.25)

10. Innocent Blood - wow, this song is all over the place..i almost missed the first chorus is was so frantic..well played but just too complex to hold my attention...bordering on prog metal in a way. (5.5)

11. Sleepless Nights - nice tune, but chorus is a bit bland..neat solo but a bit 'wanky'..doesnt really fit the song. outro is pretty cool tho (7.75)

OVERALL : 77%

Lots of discussion on this disc and rightly so given the mix of styles and what they try to achieve...lived with this for a while now (think I promised a summary back in Feb or something!) so here goes.......

1. Deathwish - monstrous rocker, i freakin love this track...only thing keeping this off a 10 is some silly growling vocals. Best opener this year (9.75)

2. Shut Up & Rock - lame lyrics and dreadfully cliched, also some silly growling again, lowers what is otherwise a pretty decent song. Neat musical passage with good solos but a bit gallopy (8.0)

3. Love Nightmare - Ouch, hate the verses...really cant understand a word. chorus is good, but cant help thinking this is only half a song. (6.5)

4. Forever - Clean vocals throughout ( :tumbsup: )..and how much better is that?! great melodic tune with a killer hook (9.0)

5. Holdin Back For Nothin - wow, frantic intro and to be honest the pace doesnt let up..clean vox tho and a pretty cool chorus...this is one I was humming some time after as well so props for that (8.5)

6. Ive Got You - i guess lyrically it is a bit suspect, but I do like this one. the solos/outro are pretty special (8.5)

7. Rockin All Night - very poisonish and utterly dreadful subject matter. I'd be embarrassed to play this to anyone I knew....all decently played but just so cliched. Not for me im afraid, i would skip this every time. (5.0)

8. Scream It Like You Mean It - I do like this one, but the vocals are all a bit high for my taste. Also the solo is a bit annoying and twiddly? decent tune tho and no growling (7.5)

9. Skate Or Die - clearly the 2nd best tune for me. dragged down slightly by some growling but a great song/solo (9.25)

10. Innocent Blood - wow, this song is all over the place..i almost missed the first chorus is was so frantic..well played but just too complex to hold my attention...bordering on prog metal in a way. (5.5)

11. Sleepless Nights - nice tune, but chorus is a bit bland..neat solo but a bit 'wanky'..doesnt really fit the song. outro is pretty cool tho (7.75)

Funny, "Love Nightmare" is my fave song, and "Forever" my least favourite (if you exclude the horror-show that is the ballad). "Innocent Blood" is another one I like. :)

Funny, "Love Nightmare" is my fave song, and "Forever" my least favourite (if you exclude the horror-show that is the ballad). "Innocent Blood" is another one I like. :)

Yeah, as per my review, 'Love nightmare' is a monster track to me and definitely one of my faves. I have zero issue with a band putting one or two really heavy songs - screams and all - on a CD, and this song is a highlight for me. Just like the title track on Escape The Fate's '

This War Is Ours' disc.

Also love 'Innocent blood.' The song is solid, but the outro is actually what makes that song for me. The part where it all but slows to a stop and then they drop into that heavy monster musical outro. I actually prefer it before the solo guitar starts, but that musical passage is one of the moments of the CD.

'Forever' is perfect to me.

Only thing I really don't get, Glen, is the chorus of 'Sleepless nights' is bland??!! Craziness. One of the biggest on the CD, imo.

Yeah honestly the song is pretty good - I gave it a decent mark - it's just that droning on about 'no more sleepless nights' is a bit bland that's all. And that solo is wank - pure & simple. Would have liked a nice medium length melodic solo to compliment the song - almost makes me want to skip.

• 2 months later...

Like I said in the other thread, bad new and now that I know this guy from The Morning After is the replacement, that's worse news. I liked that band as they were too, but hate this dude's accent. I can't wait to hear the song, but I hope he doesn't bring that overly British style to BBABH. :(