Dynazty - Sultans Of Sin

Glen

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm seeing them live next weekend!

Sweet!

This is one of the few albums I have got the time to review this year and it did come in at a pretty handsome 77% for me. But when I think of the album it's not with overly high regards. It's a solid disc, but looking over my review there is a hell of a lot of 7's and 7.5's. Only 'Land of broken dreams' and 'Back again' really stood out for me. With 'Falling' and 'Bastards of rock n' roll' just breaking through with an 8 each.

A good enough album, but not one of my faves of the year thus far.

This is one of the few albums I have got the time to review this year and it did come in at a pretty handsome 77% for me. But when I think of the album it's not with overly high regards. It's a solid disc, but looking over my review there is a hell of a lot of 7's and 7.5's. Only 'Land of broken dreams' and 'Back again' really stood out for me. With 'Falling' and 'Bastards of rock n' roll' just breaking through with an 8 each.

Yep I'd pretty much agree with that. "Land of Broken Dreams" is epic. The only song you missed that I like is "The One To Blame". Otherwise it's too hit & miss.

Yep I'd pretty much agree with that. "Land of Broken Dreams" is epic. The only song you missed that I like is "The One To Blame". Otherwise it's too hit & miss.

To each their own, because I love this cd.

To each their own, because I love this cd.

Me too :-)

I'll say 'Land of Broken Dreams' and 'Back Again' are 10/10 materials, but then probably Geoff and Tim should give more credits to the awesome mid-tempo ballad of 'Falling' which is a 9/10 to me, 'Love Junkie' is definitely awesome, probably in the heavy metal territory and I'll give it a solid 9/10 too, I guess Tim should like it more, and 'Bastards of Rock N Roll' is also a 9/10!

I found 'More Than A Man' and 'Sultans of Sin' to be a 7/10 or 7.5/10, but the rest are 8/10 to 8.5/10, and yes 'The One To Blame' is solid too, perhaps an 8.5/10, so at least 85% for the whole album and 90% for the fans :)

I'll say 'Land of Broken Dreams' and 'Back Again' are 10/10 materials, but then probably Geoff and Tim should give more credits to the awesome mid-tempo ballad of 'Falling' which is a 9/10 to me, 'Love Junkie' is definitely awesome, probably in the heavy metal territory and I'll give it a solid 9/10 too, I guess Tim should like it more, and 'Bastards of Rock N Roll' is also a 9/10!

I found 'More Than A Man' and 'Sultans of Sin' to be a 7/10 or 7.5/10, but the rest are 8/10 to 8.5/10, and yes 'The One To Blame' is solid too, perhaps an 8.5/10, so at least 85% for the whole album and 90% for the fans :)

I have tried to like it more, believe me! It wasn't cheap to buy so I've stuck with it. Love the sound/production/vocals/playing, and the melodic songs are just lush (if they did an album of songs like "Land of Broken Dreams" it would be better than H.E.A.T/BROTHER FIRETRIBE-type stuff). Played it this morning again, "Falling" doesn't do it for me (needs a bigger chorus hook), nor does "Love Junkie" (same issue). Nicely played etc, but just 6/10 songs probably. "Back Again" is a good ballad, but not a 10/10 from me. In all honesty I think I preferred their other album (don't know what it's called, has a red cover - that' all I can remember!)... Glad others like this though, as it's not cheap to buy...

Had a listen to a few tracks on iTunes, and while I will give them another go, I probably won't get this CD. Sounded okay, but nothing special, plus it's a lot less glam than I was hoping. However, this is from someone who is trying extremely hard to curtail his CD buying and will by necessity have to restrict spending hugely this year. Already got Crazy Lixx on the list, possibly H.E.A.T. and Testament coming, I reckon those and maybe 3 more will have to be it for the rest of 2012, so Dynazty probably won't make the cut.

Some of the comments are funny :) This cd has no filler and is easily my #1 pick for the year. I have spun it at least 50 times now and it keeps getting better!

I don't think this album is a perfect 10, but it is damned good.

I havent rated yet but reckon it will come in at around 85%, which is good, but slightly worse than 'Knock You Down' which was awesome IMO.

One song which no-one seems to mention is 'Come Alive' which is about an awesome opener as you could wish for. killer chorus/solo.

@Tim : yup, Knock It Down, a big fan of that too, and its strength is equal to this IMHO but only if you count the whole bonus tracks, but if you put only the main tracks head to head, I'll say this one win slightly

@James : Testament sounds great, I'll buy myself one too later but don't know if you're going to like H.E.A.T because as far as I know, you'll prefer a heavier music rather than softer AOR rite ? have you tried the samples first ? it's an awesome album and perhaps going to be in my top 5, but probably not for you ?

I don't think this album is a perfect 10, but it is damned good.

I havent rated yet but reckon it will come in at around 85%, which is good, but slightly worse than 'Knock You Down' which was awesome IMO.

One song which no-one seems to mention is 'Come Alive' which is about an awesome opener as you could wish for. killer chorus/solo.

I like the album, but most of what I bought so far this year sounds better than this does to these ears. It's good enough for me to investigate their next release.

Some of the comments are funny :) This cd has no filler and is easily my #1 pick for the year. I have spun it at least 50 times now and it keeps getting better!

Likewise. The new JADED HEART could be close though. Just got the new album and its amazing.

@James : Testament sounds great, I'll buy myself one too later but don't know if you're going to like H.E.A.T because as far as I know, you'll prefer a heavier music rather than softer AOR rite ? have you tried the samples first ? it's an awesome album and perhaps going to be in my top 5, but probably not for you ?

You'd think so. There are some softer albums I do like, but mostly I prefer slightly heavier stuff. I had both of H.E.A.T.'s other 2 albums and, with the exception of a small number of songs, they were surplus to requirements. Just not my cup of tea. However, the songs off the new one sounds really good. What I probably need to do is listen to them a few more times and persuade myself that I don't like them! :crazy:

This is a tough one for me, but I rate the new H.E.A.T. slightly higher than this one. Those are my 1&2 of the year so far.