2011 is making my head hurt...

My promise to myself for 2012 is that I'm going to try to restrict my buying to just 20 albums. I've bought loads this year and anything past about the top 20 won't get much airplay - so I'm going to be a lot more selective next year.

:rofl2:

Right...and I'm gonna lose weight and save money for my retirement in 2012, like I said I'll do every year since 1996.

Good luck with that new year resolution Glen.

I'm sure without much effort you can already think of at least 10 releases that you'll want in 2012. What about the unknown factors, the what if's, the Oh My! I forgot about that band or the holy shit I never saw that one coming. I'm sure many releases will bite you in the ass and in the wallet come 2012.

I'll remind you of this thread and your 'more selective' or 'restrict my buying' comments in December 2012....we'll se how you did.

I remember last December thinking to myself other then the Miss Behaviour and Bad Habit, 2011 looks bleak...fuck was I wrong.

A slow start to 2011 but some top quality stuff from mid-year onwards. Some other genre's have been poor IMO, like thrash/modern rock/modern metal - all had very little to shout about. In fact the Trivium, Machine Head and Kids In Glass Houses albums are the only ones that would come close to my top few in Melodic Rock - which is rare for me as I generally prefer modern music...

well 20 is reasonable for the first quarter, by the end of the year, Glen will snap up 80 CDs :D

Ha ha, I don't think I've ever bought 80 in one year! Couldn't afford it for a start! Lol. I have every expectation that 2012 will have it's temptations but still feel that past the top 20 will not have much longevity - we'll see

well 20 is reasonable for the first quarter, by the end of the year, Glen will snap up 80 CDs :D

Ha ha, I don't think I've ever bought 80 in one year! Couldn't afford it for a start! Lol. I have every expectation that 2012 will have it's temptations but still feel that past the top 20 will not have much longevity - we'll see

lol yeah but problem is sometimes you're usually unsure how's your top 20 will be until you heard 50-100 albums and eventually settled the final position in the early 2013 :D

lol yeah but problem is sometimes you're usually unsure how's your top 20 will be until you heard 50-100 albums and eventually settled the final position in the early 2013 :D

In any one year I'll probably buy 25-30 get maybe 20 by promo, and the rest is by spotify/you tube etc. This year there have been several albums where nearly every song was on you tube before release date!

In any one year I'll probably buy 25-30 get maybe 20 by promo, and the rest is by spotify/you tube etc. This year there have been several albums where nearly every song was on you tube before release date!

The problem with 2011 was that I bought nearly double that but half of them will get shelved - just trying to get back to normal habits ;-)

OK, the new releases amount of buying is fair enough to get maybe 20-25, but aren't you interested in collecting the previous years great albums that you haven't bought yet, for example anything from 2005-2009, or did you get everything that you really wanted ?

i think i still need to fill in my collection all the way back from the late 70s to 2000s, especially with many remastered/reissued that should be coming by next year, so 2012 looks like gonna cost me much too just like this year darn :D

OK, the new releases amount of buying is fair enough to get maybe 20-25, but aren't you interested in collecting the previous years great albums that you haven't bought yet, for example anything from 2005-2009, or did you get everything that you really wanted ?

i think i still need to fill in my collection all the way back from the late 70s to 2000s, especially with many remastered/reissued that should be coming by next year, so 2012 looks like gonna cost me much too just like this year darn :D

Ha ha got to remember I've been buying since 1980 ;-)

• 5 weeks later...

Sadly, at the moment 20 seems like a beautiful dream for me in 2012. :( I'm glad I had a good run in 2011 and was buying CDs like I did back when I was single... but good or bad, 2012 will be the opposite. I'm sure I'll end up with at least 20... but probably not many more.

Sadly, at the moment 20 seems like a beautiful dream for me in 2012. :( I'm glad I had a good run in 2011 and was buying CDs like I did back when I was single... but good or bad, 2012 will be the opposite. I'm sure I'll end up with at least 20... but probably not many more.

For what reasons?

Generally a shit year in music? (I'm sure you're excited about a new Lillian Axe and Van Halen coming out in next few weeks ;) )

No money to spend foolishly on tunes?

Pussy whipped beyond belief that has you praying for a quick death?

I share your pain. 20 will be the absolute maximum for me, but likely to be closer to 10. Money is getting more and more scarce, so I'm going to have to be extremely picky. There are still some older albums I need to get hold of, so I might manage 20-25 over the year, but I doubt more than half will be 2012 releases.

For what reasons?

Generally a shit year in music? (I'm sure you're excited about a new Lillian Axe and Van Halen coming out in next few weeks ;) )

Haha. Nah mate, just a few things didn't go my way over the festive season. Had an awesome holiday in Tasmania in early December but whilst I was there my c*nty company went into liquidation - Indian owners fleeing the country without even letting us know - thus leaving me jobless and without December and January pay to support Christmas and my holiday spending... which I obviously only did thinking I still had a job and pay coming in. To top it off, I wrote my car off in Tassie too (though it's still driveable so I didn't let it spoil the trip) so yeah, pretty much ensured that CDs will be a no-go in 2012, especially if I don't fix this job thing up asap.

Good times, ;)

For what reasons?

Haha. Nah mate, just a few things didn't go my way over the festive season. Had an awesome holiday in Tasmania in early December but whilst I was there my c*nty company went into liquidation - Indian owners fleeing the country without even letting us know - thus leaving me jobless and without December and January pay to support Christmas and my holiday spending... which I obviously only did thinking I still had a job and pay coming in. To top it off, I wrote my car off in Tassie too (though it's still driveable so I didn't let it spoil the trip) so yeah, pretty much ensured that CDs will be a no-go in 2012, especially if I don't fix this job thing up asap.

Good times, ;)

Good luck with the job hunting buddy. You might like some shit albums, but being out of work must be awful and I hope you get something soon. :tumbsup:

sorry to hear that Geoff, good luck in finding a new job, but then I think the Tazmania holiday is worth it and what happened with the Indian fleeing the country ? is business bad for the company last year?

Thanks guys. Yeah, it was a terribly run business and failure was always on the cards, but I was hoping I'd get out myself before they went down. Incredibly bad timing over Christmas too, especially after re-structuring the company and being assured 2012 would be the year to make it happen. I hope I can look back and be glad to be out of that place, but getting a new job is far from easy. And a constant lead weight on the mind.

Tasmania was completely stunning... will try to post at least a couple of the billion snaps I took. Crazy beautiful place, though.

Indian owners owed sooo many people sooo much money and when the joint went into liquidation they were gone quicker than one could throw a punch. After being on what I thought were good terms with these guys, I have still not heard a peep from them. Just disappeared and left us all jobless. True c*nts.