Fate

Glen

I had, and still have, no real idea why so many people rate that album. This band started off playing a more AOR style and then just became another fairly generic hard rock band. I didn't really like anything after "Cruisin' for a Bruisin'" and would rate "A Matter of Attitude" as their only disc worthy of the "classic" label...

In Scratch and sniff there is an incredible guitar playing. Very funny lirycs(Larry,surgeon in love),an amazing power ballad Freedom, some great hard rock anthem One by one(my fav) and got to have it all.

I know in this site many people appreciate this album, I love cruisin' and a matter of attitude as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually really like this cd. Nice crunchy guitars with great riffs, along with a nice mix of keys. One of the best this year!

After many spins I really love ghost from the past, one of the best album of this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I'm alone in the fact I really like the 'V' album. I've only heard the new on once so far and there's certainly nothing in it that's putting me off.

I liked the V album as well and I'm looking forward to the new release...

'V' is a good album ; very good in places. It's just that the vocals were so amazingly bad, that like I said above, it did detract from the overall quality of the album quite heavily. Musically and songwise, though, there is some really good stuff on it. I like the album just fine... I just really wish his vocals were like they were on 'Scratch N' Sniff.' :(

Scratch n sniff is light years ahead if V & the newie - but that is no surprise.

Alas the Fate of yester year are no more.

'Scratch N' Sniff' is an undisputed classic, imo, and is better than most CDs that have ever been released. ;)

I had, and still have, no real idea why so many people rate that album. This band started off playing a more AOR style and then just became another fairly generic hard rock band. I didn't really like anything after "Cruisin' for a Bruisin'" and would rate "A Matter of Attitude" as their only disc worthy of the "classic" label...

Yep, the difference is in the lyrics. The album, song-wise, is almost immaculate which never hurts the cause, and the guitar playing was utterly incredible. But nothing appeals more to me than a band that makes an effort with their lyrics. Hence, my adoration of Steel Panther in current times. But Fate made themselves unique with their lyrics.

• 3 years later...

Recently penned my ratings for the entire Fate discography and here's how it panned out for me:

1. Fate - A Matter Of Attitude - 1986 - 92
2. Fate - Scratch N' Sniff - 1990 - 89
3. Fate - Cruisin' For A Bruisin' - 1985 - 82
4. Fate - Fate - 1988 - 78
5. Fate - If Not For The Devil - 2013 - 78
6. Fate - Ghosts From The Past - 2011 - 76
7. Fate - Unreleased '92 (EP) - 1992 - 75
8. Fate - V - 2006 - 73
The 'Unreleased '92' songs are merely the 4 songs released as bonus tracks on the 'Matter of attitude' and 'Scratch N' Sniff' reissues.
It's a very good, high scoring discography, only hindered by the inevitable couple of fillers on all of their excellent albums. But when they were at their best, when they often were, they were a band in their own class.
Now, just to mix it up, here are my favourite 10 songs in a rough order too:
1. Limbo A Go Go
2. You're the Best (Money Can Buy)
3. Hard As A Rock
4. Get Up And Go
5. Larry
6. One By One
7. (I Can't Stand) Losing You
8. Summerlove
9. Freedom
10. Babe, You Got A Friend