Fate

Glen

Well Fate have probably had more changes to their line up that most other bands I could mention & for this new album they have a new vocalist in Dagfinn Joensen and guitaist - Torben Enevoldsen (Section A/Fatal Force). Both are really good here, especially the guitarist who shines throughout. This is a very difficult album to accurately describe or rate after just one or two spins....but lets just say that the production is excellent - big bombastic sound - and the playing is great. The album starts out strongly with 'Children Of The Night' which is a good, if slightly cliched rocker and 'Miracle' with some nice keys. 'Seeds Of Terror' keeps the quality up even if it takes itself a little too seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq4xjQovsco

The problem I have with this album is that the hooks are just not strong enough throughout the album to compare with some of the releases in 2011. Tracks 4,5 & 6 are all pretty weak IMO, but 'Follow Your Heart' is nice enough and probably an 8.75/10. My earlier comment rings true though in that a large part of this album is of a very serious tone which isnt what I think when I consider some of Fate's back catalogue.

Can see this one falling into the pack for a lot of folk.

I'd probably rate it around 75%, but could be a grower.

Nice, thanks for the write-up. I do like that song in the video - very nice. I'll definitely pre-order this one based on that. I just wanted some kind of confirmation on what the actual style of the CD would be. Sounds good to me.

It has to be said, though, that there isn't honestly a trace of Fate left in this song. Like you say, a huge drawcard for Fate was always their humerous and quirky lyrics. With them gone, the lead vocalists, the lead guitarists all gone... well, it's hard to still call this Fate. But whatever you want to call it, I do like the song (and that solo was awesome too) and I'll definitely check this out asap.

Nice, thanks for the write-up. I do like that song in the video - very nice. I'll definitely pre-order this one based on that. I just wanted some kind of confirmation on what the actual style of the CD would be. Sounds good to me.

It has to be said, though, that there isn't honestly a trace of Fate left in this song. Like you say, a huge drawcard for Fate was always their humerous and quirky lyrics. With them gone, the lead vocalists, the lead guitarists all gone... well, it's hard to still call this Fate. But whatever you want to call it, I do like the song (and that solo was awesome too) and I'll definitely check this out asap.

Without wanting people to depart with cash too hastily, that is one of the best songs....I personally think this is a try before you buy.

As you say nearly any trace of Fate is gone from the line up and the music is a lot different.

Cheers

Without wanting people to depart with cash too hastily, that is one of the best songs....I personally think this is a try before you buy.

As you say nearly any trace of Fate is gone from the line up and the music is a lot different.

Cheers

If I was paying any more than the au$12 that Amazon.uk will give it to me for, I'd probably try it out. But a shadow of their former selves or not, Fate still deserve to be given the benefit of my doubt. :) Thanks for the tip anyway. ;)

Initial thought on this one is well I must say, I'm slightly disappointed at first due to lack of really outstanding tracks since in a usual Fate album, they used to have at least 3-4 killer but I spotted only 2 (or even 1) here. However, looks like an overall consistent disc in the range of 70%-85%, might grow later, I hope.

and to back most of Glen said, it's a serious hard rock album, the singer and guitars are tremendous, the production is great, and 'Children of The Night' is definitely the best track here, probably that track alone worth a 90%.

I disagree a bit regarding track 4-5-6 since the 6th track, 'All That I Want', is brilliant - a keyboard colored track with some nice riffs and the chorus is great, I think I prefer this over 'Follow Your Heart', which is a good track as well.

Some other fave here are 'Daddy's Girl' and 'I Believe In Rock And Roll'. A 13-tracks album, so if we leave out 3 weakest tracks, there's a chance it can shoot up to 80%, but for now, I think I go with Glen, a 75%.

Just out of curiosity, would you guys says this one schools the 'V' album?

I do like the new one better than "V". However V does have a song I like more than anything on the latest :).

'Nobody Loves You The Way I Do?' Great song.

I do like the new one better than "V". However V does have a song I like more than anything on the latest :).

Was it me or were the vocals on that album almost unlistenable.....so yeah the newie is better, but as I said songwise it is quite dark, so Fate only in name really.

Was it me or were the vocals on that album almost unlistenable.....so yeah the newie is better, but as I said songwise it is quite dark, so Fate only in name really.

I hate to say it, but yeah, the vocals were awful. Took about 10 points off an otherwise solid CD. In all honesty, they needed a new vocalist and this guy does sound very good... it's just that again, it's another step further from any resemblance of the "real" Fate. Even if they actually sound better. :lol:

The right move should have been bring back Jeff Limbo.

I guess he is not interested, so whathever, I'm happy they are back, Per Johansen had great lyrics.

I like Children of the night, but they have done much better in the past. I'll try to get the whole cd

What can I say, but I like this too. Sure it's hard to acknowledge it as the Fate we know and love, but it's a good hard rock CD, no doubt at all. The dude's voice even has textures of both previous Fate vocalists - I do like his voice for sure.

I miss the humerous element of Fate, and like Glen said, this is a totally serious disc... but it reminds me of post-Bormann Jaded Heart. Good, no-nonsense hard rock which I really have no issue with. And yeah, this album is better than 'V.'

Maybe I'm alone in the fact I really like the 'V' album. I've only heard the new on once so far and there's certainly nothing in it that's putting me off.

I liked the V album as well and I'm looking forward to the new release...

'V' is a good album ; very good in places. It's just that the vocals were so amazingly bad, that like I said above, it did detract from the overall quality of the album quite heavily. Musically and songwise, though, there is some really good stuff on it. I like the album just fine... I just really wish his vocals were like they were on 'Scratch N' Sniff.' :(

Maybe I'm alone in the fact I really like the 'V' album. I've only heard the new on once so far and there's certainly nothing in it that's putting me off.

'V' is a good album ; very good in places. It's just that the vocals were so amazingly bad, that like I said above, it did detract from the overall quality of the album quite heavily. Musically and songwise, though, there is some really good stuff on it. I like the album just fine... I just really wish his vocals were like they were on 'Scratch N' Sniff.' :(

Scratch n sniff is light years ahead if V & the newie - but that is no surprise.

Alas the Fate of yester year are no more.

Scratch n sniff is light years ahead if V & the newie - but that is no surprise.

'Scratch N' Sniff' is an undisputed classic, imo, and is better than most CDs that have ever been released. ;)

'Scratch N' Sniff' is an undisputed classic, imo, and is better than most CDs that have ever been released. ;)

The fabulous guitar work on Scratch N' Sniff is truely what sets it apart from other albums IMHO.

Truely one of a kind!

• 2 weeks later...

After a few spins I really like the new one.One of the best release of this year. Everything is good the songs, the new singer,the new guitar player.

At the end of the day,fear of the stranger.Miracle and follow your heart are very good tracks.

I agree wiht Geoff ,Glenn and all the people who miss the funny lyrics of their old albums.

V had some good songs, but the vocals were so "strange". The sound was a bit too heavy and too much saturated. The new one is more in line with their old style,Its more melodic.

I had, and still have, no real idea why so many people rate that album. This band started off playing a more AOR style and then just became another fairly generic hard rock band. I didn't really like anything after "Cruisin' for a Bruisin'" and would rate "A Matter of Attitude" as their only disc worthy of the "classic" label...