2011 the year of the great ballads

My Top 5 are below, with none being ballads (well, not technically). Can't really decide on a fave LOVEX song and haven't yet played The Magnificent more than once to determine a fave...

1. SHY - Over You

2. TOBY HITCHCOCK - How To Stop

3. TOBY HITCHCOCK - Tear Down the Barricades

4. WORK OF ART - Castaway

5. WHITE WIDDOW - How Far I Run

I made my offical best of 2011 mixed cd yesterday. I know I'm 10 years past the best of cd, however nearly half of both your lists are on my cd. I added Castaway from WOA. That has to be one of the best choruses of the year, too bad the rest of song isn't as good, but I still love it.

I made my offical best of 2011 mixed cd yesterday. I know I'm 10 years past the best of cd, however nearly half of both your lists are on my cd. I added Castaway from WOA. That has to be one of the best choruses of the year, too bad the rest of song isn't as good, but I still love it.

Nothing by SHY on your list mate? Not even "Over You"? Sheer melodic heaven that one...

Nothing by SHY on your list mate? Not even "Over You"? Sheer melodic heaven that one...

I need to re-listen to that Shy album cos initially I didnt rate that song as highly as some others.

wow what happened to the list of ballads that got veered away to uptempo tunes lol

guys, we are fans of rock, there's no such single year that ballads always go over uptempo rockers in terms of awesomeness, please name one single year that ballads are the dominating winners, no such thing rite ? but i think will be best to stick to what ballads stood out for you this year as relevant to the thread, or might be best to put up another thread of 'best songs of 2011' :D

wow what happened to the list of ballads that got veered away to uptempo tunes lol

guys, we are fans of rock, there's no such single year that ballads always go over uptempo rockers in terms of awesomeness, please name one single year that ballads are the dominating winners, no such thing rite ? but i think will be best to stick to what ballads stood out for you this year as relevant to the thread, or might be best to put up another thread of 'best songs of 2011' :D

DAMN!!! You're right, I've hijacked my own thread.

My Top 5 are below, with none being ballads (well, not technically). Can't really decide on a fave LOVEX song and haven't yet played The Magnificent more than once to determine a fave...

1. SHY - Over You

You sexy, sexy man! Where on earth did you pull that from?! :lol: I thought the opener was the only track you really loved on the Shy disc.

Anyway, I'll put a full list in the designated thread at a later date, especially after I've heard the Vain CD, but here's my top 5 tunes:

1. Shy - Over you

2. Sixx AM - Oh my god

3. 7th Heaven - She should have been an angel

4. Reckless Love - Fantasy

5. Toby Hitchcock - How to stop

1. SHY - Over You

You sexy, sexy man! Where on earth did you pull that from?! :lol: I thought the opener was the only track you really loved on the Shy disc.

Anyway, I'll put a full list in the designated thread at a later date, especially after I've heard the Vain CD, but here's my top 5 tunes:

1. Shy - Over you

2. Sixx AM - Oh my god

It always amazes me how people's opinions differ....not really sure what you both hear in that Shy tune. Yeah its nice enough, but there are two or 3 better songs on that album alone! Also, that TH tune is probably my least favourite on the whole album lol.

Cheers

1. SHY - Over You

1. Shy - Over you

2. Sixx AM - Oh my god

It always amazes me how people's opinions differ....not really sure what you both hear in that Shy tune. Yeah its nice enough, but there are two or 3 better songs on that album alone! Also, that TH tune is probably my least favourite on the whole album lol.

Cheers

That's because you're a creep. ;)

I don't know what it is about the Shy tune - the only song, I think, that's sent the chills rushing down my spine this year. Just a beautiful, heartfelt and sentimental tune... and it doesn't hurt that it has an out-of-this-world hook/chorus that has stuck in my head since the first spin.

It's hard to pick a fave from the TH album, but that was mine too. Plenty of close ones, but I guess that just had that little bit of something, for me, over the rest.

1. SHY - Over You

1. Shy - Over you

2. Sixx AM - Oh my god

Cheers

That's because you're a creep. ;)

but as you would say an incredibly sexy and handsome one ;-)

And with an impeccable taste in music to go with it. lol

Wow great song, I just checked it out on Youtube. To be honest I can't buy every single release, so I find it unfair to rate stuff I never bought.

Notice Journey even made my list. The 2 tracks from that one that made my list were excellent and the rest....not so much, as the release isn't even on my top 20 or so radar. I actually bought that one...WHY???? :yikes:

I saw Something to remember me by on one list, but surprised no mentions of I am made of you.

yes that song is also a goodie too, it's just that i have to pick only one song of an album and there goes my pick, and that 'I Am Made of You' has that weird Cher-vocal-effect thing so probably that's a slight minus from me lol

Wow great song, I just checked it out on Youtube. To be honest I can't buy every single release, so I find it unfair to rate stuff I never bought.

Notice Journey even made my list. The 2 tracks from that one that made my list were excellent and the rest....not so much, as the release isn't even on my top 20 or so radar. I actually bought that one...WHY???? :yikes:

'Pray', 'Over You', and 'Only For The Night' are three best tracks on that album indeed.

'Pray', 'Over You', and 'Only For The Night' are three best tracks on that album indeed.

'Ran out of time' & 'Breathe' (not to mention 'Land of a thousand lies,' 'Sanctuary' & 'Save me') > 'Pray.' Just for the record. ;)

Uhm not for me friend :D

'Breathe' and 'Sanctuary' are at 7, 'Ran Out of Time' is 8, and yes 'Land of A Thousand Lies' is 9, a kickin' ass song, but Pray' is a beast at 10!

hm very interesting disc indeed, at least they covered every area from 6 to 10 :christmas:

'Ran out of time' & 'Breathe' (not to mention 'Land of a thousand lies,' 'Sanctuary' & 'Save me') > 'Pray.' Just for the record. ;)

Yeah I find myself agreeing with you again. The hooks in "Over You" with the pre-chorus then subtle keyboards in the chorus are unrivalled this year IMO. After a couple of extra spins I'm not sure anything from The Magnificent will quite get into this list (though it is an awesome disc), though the ballad "Angel" is probably the highlight - but no doubt I'll change my mind after a few more spins.

• 2 weeks later...

Nickelback's "Trying Not To Love You" is a great ballad IMO. Right up there with The Magnificent's "Angel" as my top ballad of the year. Shame about the rest of the Nickelback album...

• 2 weeks later...