Most pleasant CD suprise of 2011?

Geoff

I keep listening to the Trust Company CD trying to find a reason to rate it lower because for some reason I think it can't be as high as I rate it. But it's impossible, I can't get any lower than 93% no matter how I play with the scores. Shy was a huge surprise, but Trust Company still blows my mind today, after being one of the early releases I heard in 2011.

• 5 weeks later...

Changed my mind slightly on this one. The biggest surprise so far has to be Pallas - XXV.

I'm no prog fan, but this really rocks. Especially surprising as I didn't like it at first. It took about 5 listens for it to sink in, but it's a great album. I urge anyone with any tolerance for prog to check it out.

Here are some reviews that seem to agree with me:

dangerdog review

From one of my favourite 2 or 3 music sites, even going as far as to say, "This album is pure utter genius; an album that needs to be in your collection. If you only buy one album this year then this is the one.": sea of tranquility review

rocktopia review

Changed my mind slightly on this one. The biggest surprise so far has to be Pallas - XXV.

I'm no prog fan, but this really rocks. Especially surprising as I didn't like it at first. It took about 5 listens for it to sink in, but it's a great album. I urge anyone with any tolerance for prog to check it out.

dangerdog review

From one of my favourite 2 or 3 music sites, even going as far as to say, "This album is pure utter genius; an album that needs to be in your collection. If you only buy one album this year then this is the one.": sea of tranquility review

rocktopia review

Many thanks for the recommendation James...I will be checking this out for sure as I LOVED the sentinel all those years back...will let you know what I think - cheers!!

Definitely THE MAGNIFICENT for me. Came out of nowhere (unless you count Glen trying to hype it up on every thread!), and blew me away. The fact it's only 3rd in my Top 10 is more a statement about how good 2011 has been rather than any short-comings in this CD. Utterly brilliant stuff with nothing you could really call a filler...

Definitely THE MAGNIFICENT for me. Came out of nowhere (unless you count Glen trying to hype it up on every thread!), and blew me away. The fact it's only 3rd in my Top 10 is more a statement about how good 2011 has been rather than any short-comings in this CD. Utterly brilliant stuff with nothing you could really call a filler...

I agree, accept it's 1 or 2 on my list. Love it!

dangerdog review

rocktopia review

Okay, I think I missed this one. Actually i've seen him couple of times wandering on the net, but haven't checked out yet. Thanks for the heads up

Yeah its definitely a good one, where it will end up on my list is still up in the air as I need to listen to whole top 10 back to back.

Yeah its definitely a good one, where it will end up on my list is still up in the air as I need to listen to whole top 10 back to back.

I think it'll be 3rd in your list mate, see below for my prediction on your (and mine!) list.

1. Toby Hitchcock

2. Work of Art

3. The Magnificent

I think it'll be 3rd in your list mate, see below for my prediction on your (and mine!) list.

1. Toby Hitchcock

2. Work of Art

3. The Magnificent

you might be surprised.

1. Toby Hitchcock

2. Work of Art

3. The Magnificent

you might be surprised.

It was your Top 3 about a month ago, and you can't tell me that anything's been released since to sneak above The Magnificent? Steel Panther shouldn't be in that Top 3...

• 3 weeks later...

dangerdog review

rocktopia review

Many thanks for the recommendation James...I will be checking this out for sure as I LOVED the sentinel all those years back...will let you know what I think - cheers!!

Did anyone else give Pallas a go?

Oh I forgot that PALLAS, let me try to listen to it this week, but I give PENDRAGON's new album another go, and I think it's quite a good one, have you checked it out?

I wonder if PALLAS is better since both bands are like brothers for the neo-prog movement in the 80s ?

The Pendragon disc is fantastic. Made my number 4 spot last year. Consistently one of THE best Melodic Prog bands over the last 25 years.

Oh I forgot that PALLAS, let me try to listen to it this week, but I give PENDRAGON's new album another go, and I think it's quite a good one, have you checked it out?

I wonder if PALLAS is better since both bands are like brothers for the neo-prog movement in the 80s ?

I don't know about Pendragon I'm afraid. I'm not a prog fan at all, which is why Pallas was such a surprise to me!

• 1 month later...

One surprise album that came out late in the year that I keep listening to and at one point played at least once a day for about two weeks straight is Beggars and Theives "We Are the Brokenhearted". Just an amazing set of songs with a great production. To many times these old bands come back after many years between albums and don't sound like themselves and the production is shit but this album sounds like a million bucks and for the most part they have their signature sound with just a little more mature edge to it plus Louie's voice is unbelievable and Ronnie's playing is stellar as well.

One surprise album that came out late in the year that I keep listening to and at one point played at least once a day for about two weeks straight is Beggars and Theives "We Are the Brokenhearted". Just an amazing set of songs with a great production. To many times these old bands come back after many years between albums and don't sound like themselves and the production is shit but this album sounds like a million bucks and for the most part they have their signature sound with just a little more mature edge to it plus Louie's voice is unbelievable and Ronnie's playing is stellar as well.

couldnt agree more.....a very 'mature' and varied rock record. Great to hear.

Some of the songs do go on a bit, but I agree too - top class stuff...

Some of the songs do go on a bit, but I agree too - top class stuff...

Also how cool is the song 'Wash Away' ?? Just love that tune.

+1

This is the way to do it for old bands! In my eyes only Beggars & Thieves, Danger Danger and Treat have managed to make a real cracker (song- and production-wise) so far.

+1

This is the way to do it for old bands! In my eyes only Beggars & Thieves, Danger Danger and Treat have managed to make a real cracker (song- and production-wise) so far.

I agree, although 'Revolve' & 'Coup De Grace' are much better imo.