Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame 2012 nominees

LV KIX

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Of this year's nominees, I went with Heart. Easily one of the most influential if not the most influential female-fronted bands ever.

The fact that Rush is not in the HoF (are they somehow ineligible because they're Canadian?) makes the entire thing a joke. Sheer musicianship alone, regardless if you like their style or not, should have had them in years ago.

Spot on :tumbsup:

I went with Heart as well and i can't believe Rush gets so little respect from those morons...

• 3 weeks later...

I think Heart by a landslide. (While I'm not familiar with much of their earlier body of work aside from radio hits, they were majorly important to me in the mid-late 80s and still are one of the better live albums I own.) That said, I can see Joan Jett and GNR as worthy inductees as well. Then again, we all know what the RNRHOF is and how it will go down.

I can't see not inducting Guns just to see what would happen at the ceremony; whether that would lead to any jam, let alone a reunion.

I just can't see any way at all that Guns n Roses deserve anything like this. Slash might be a talented musician, but giving GnR the award includes Axl and I think that would be a travesty.

I've changed my vote from the Beasties to Heart. I don't really like their music, but can see that they would be far more deserving of this than most of the others in the list.

• 1 month later...

Although I can't really argue against any of the artists that got in (except maybe Donovan...that's pushing it for sure) I'm so disappointed that Heart didn't get it. Their influence is way beyond the AOR or "Commercial" music realm. Joan Jett should be in there too. Pretty silly. Maybe they thought that Laura Nyro filled their quota of women (have there ever been two or more female acts inducted in the same year?).

Actually The Cure not getting in is more of a surprise to me. Regardless of what everyone thinks of them they had a heavy influence on two decades of Alternative music (hey, even Gothic Metal owes a little bit to them).

Really funny that I found out about the inductions on Yahoo, but nowhere in their story did they mention that The Small Faces got in. I guess the writer didn't realize about the Rolling Stones and Rod Stewart connection. Damn young punks. :taz:

Np - Mozart (the band!) - self-titled

This award seems pretty worthless tbh. I bet some of the actually deserving acts feel like doing a George C Scott/Marlon Brando.

* For those of you who don't know yet... Here are the bands/artists that got in this year:

Guns N Roses

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Beastie Boys

Donovan

Laura Nyro

Small Faces

What a joke... neither Joan Jett nor Heart getting in? Though I would argue that Joan is much more deserving and influenced the musical landscape much more than Heart, one of these artists should have made it this year.

I do think The Small Faces deserve to be in as the band was quite innovative and did give birth to the careers of a couple great musicians.

I can actually see Donovan making it in also. Though not exactly my cup of tea, I can at least appreciate his place in music.

Laura Nyro... Well, I really don't know enough about her to say whether or not she deserves to be in or not.

As far as Red Hot Chilli Peppers go... One or 2 OK songs, the rest SUCK. Never should be in.

Beastie Boys... Awful. This band has already been forgotten by the public. Maybe one of the worst inductions ever.

Guns N Roses... I just don't see the longevity factor that should be required. I guess one good record qualifies you for the Rock 'N' Roll Hall Of Fame.. I'm sure G-N-R made it to boost ratings and give the public a reason to even talk about the induction ceremony.

============================================================================

Interesting that 3 of the 6 who made it had NO VOTES in our poll. The band with the most bands here (Heart) was not inducted.

Maybe a dumb question, but does anyone know how voting works for the Hall Of Fame? What I mean is do the public vote? Is it peers? A fishbowl drawing?

Seems, at least with the bands from this year mostly to be a popularity contest and not a talent/influence ranking...

I was way late on voting, but I have a couple of problems here, 1st of all, Erik B & Rakimm? Donna Summers, Rufus with Chaka Khan? isn't this the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame?? I don't recall these being rock groups, maybe im wrong, and who the fuck is Laura Nyro??? maybe im not as musically well rounded as I believed, next, bands like R.H.C.P.'s, Guns & Roses, Joan Jett, these are all great bands, that should go into the Hall, but not right now, later on, I liked War, but when I stop and think about it, Heart is probably the most deserving, how many Rock albums did the fucking Beastie Boys release? 1!!! and The Cure better never get in, what's the deal with Rush anyway? is it cause their Canadian? there really has to be a reason they weren't even on the ballot, have they ever been put on the ballot?

From Eddie Trunk on Twitter earlier today:

"Guess what? The CEO of the R&R Hall Of Fame is going to come on my radio show! Live 12/19 at 6:30PM ET on ET Live SiriusXM ch 38 Boneyard!"

He says he'll pull no punches, but also wants it to be a discussion, not a dog pile.

Wish I could get in on that; should be a great listen! (Can't wait for the recap.)

I think simply put, regardless of what you may feel of the band or Axl, GNR are one of the biggest acts to come out of the 80s and are one of the few hair metal acts that people will still listen to this day by old and young alike, which is quite an achievement. To say they only had one good album is laughable, as well.

Heart and Joan Jett are certainly the most influential bands on the list, but while their flame has burned longer, GNR's has burned a whole lot brighter and they would probably be listed by many modern bands as an influence.

I would say that if you took all the great songs from Joans career, all the great songs from Hearts career and all the great songs from GNR's career, and they would all be about the same number.

I can take or leave a lot of Hearts back catalogue, and a lot of Joans is very samey and is littered with cover versions (hell her biggest hit is a cover version).

Also, from an international perspective, most people only know a handful of tracks by Joan and Heart, but nearly everyone knows a shit load of GNR tunes.

I think simply put, regardless of what you may feel of the band or Axl, GNR are one of the biggest acts to come out of the 80s and are one of the few hair metal acts that people will still listen to this day by old and young alike, which is quite an achievement. To say they only had one good album is laughable, as well.

Heart and Joan Jett are certainly the most influential bands on the list, but while their flame has burned longer, GNR's has burned a whole lot brighter and they would probably be listed by many modern bands as an influence.

I would say that if you took all the great songs from Joans career, all the great songs from Hearts career and all the great songs from GNR's career, and they would all be about the same number.

I can take or leave a lot of Hearts back catalogue, and a lot of Joans is very samey and is littered with cover versions (hell her biggest hit is a cover version).

Also, from an international perspective, most people only know a handful of tracks by Joan and Heart, but nearly everyone knows a shit load of GNR tunes.

I agree. I do think that Joan and Heart deserve entry but GNR are just a mammoth band even to this day. Look at AXL and the rest of his band play big places and even Slash on his own can play bigger places as well. That is all due to GNRs massive success from 87-93 but as you said above they are still listened to old and young fans and have become cool for both the kids of today as well as the Classic Rock type stations and fans. I love GNR and what they did in a short amount of time is close to what Zeppelin did in a short amount of time.

* For those of you who don't know yet... Here are the bands/artists that got in this year:

Guns N Roses

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Beastie Boys

Donovan

Laura Nyro

Small Faces

What a joke... neither Joan Jett nor Heart getting in? Though I would argue that Joan is much more deserving and influenced the musical landscape much more than Heart, one of these artists should have made it this year.

I do think The Small Faces deserve to be in as the band was quite innovative and did give birth to the careers of a couple great musicians.

I can actually see Donovan making it in also. Though not exactly my cup of tea, I can at least appreciate his place in music.

Laura Nyro... Well, I really don't know enough about her to say whether or not she deserves to be in or not.

As far as Red Hot Chilli Peppers go... One or 2 OK songs, the rest SUCK. Never should be in.

Beastie Boys... Awful. This band has already been forgotten by the public. Maybe one of the worst inductions ever.

Guns N Roses... I just don't see the longevity factor that should be required. I guess one good record qualifies you for the Rock 'N' Roll Hall Of Fame.. I'm sure G-N-R made it to boost ratings and give the public a reason to even talk about the induction ceremony.

Interesting that 3 of the 6 who made it had NO VOTES in our poll. The band with the most bands here (Heart) was not inducted.

Personal opinions there really. Beasties and Chillis are fucking massive, regardless of whether people on here like them or not.

If the Beasties are forgotten about, why did their album this year hit #2 in the US album charts?

While their albums have not gone platinum since 2004 or 2005, they still are a hugely successful act, which isnt bad for a rap act thats been around for 25 years since the debut, and 31 years since they first formed.

How many rap acts have had that kind of longetivity? Not my cup of tea other than a few songs, but you cannot deny their success within their musical genre and even beyond that.

Guns N Roses

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Beastie Boys

Donovan

Laura Nyro

Small Faces

Personal opinions there really. Beasties and Chillis are fucking massive, regardless of whether people on here like them or not.

If the Beasties are forgotten about, why did their album this year hit #2 in the US album charts?

While their albums have not gone platinum since 2004 or 2005, they still are a hugely successful act, which isnt bad for a rap act thats been around for 25 years since the debut, and 31 years since they first formed.

How many rap acts have had that kind of longetivity? Not my cup of tea other than a few songs, but you cannot deny their success within their musical genre and even beyond that.

You said it all yourself... "Rap act". Pretty much disqualify them for the "Rock N' Roll" Hall Of Fame in my book. I've got no problem at all with the Beastie Boys, but they sure don't belong in the "Rock N' Roll" Hall Of Fame.

The rock n roll hall of fame has changed since its inception. By definition, no acts would make it in there these days as there are no real rock n roll acts out there.

Rock and metal acts are not rock n roll acts for the most part either.

Were Earth Wind and Fire a rock n roll band?

Is James Taylor and rock n roller?

Which part of his career was Michael Jackson a rock n roll artist?

Price, The Pretenders, REM, Leonard Cohen, ABBA, Dusty Springfield, Velvet Underground ... not one single one of them is a rock n roller.

I'm guessing no one here listened to this or I'd imagine there'd be some fairly big (at least pissed-off) buzz, if ever any hope. If you finds it, posts it!

• 3 weeks later...

I went with Heart, because the first rock album I Bought was their fantastic self titled, dated 1985.

It's the album I played most in my life, around 100 spins.

Guns and Roses are more famous and more influential, that's a fact,sure they must be in the hall of fame as well . I always like them.

In Italy for example Heart are almost unknown :-(.

Whatever I followed my heart.