The Magnificent

zacharyamelie

I think Nick, Jez, and Kim probably has been around since the early heyday of 80s

Damn, do I sound that old? :lol: Actually I haven't even reached 30 yet and have only been listening to AOR since about 2003 or something...I do prefer the classic AOR sound above the more modern sounding bands, I guess that's part of the reason I rate Airrace so highly. TO each their own :)

Well I'm 42, so I was teenager in the 80's. But for me it was not the aor (Toto, Survivor etc.)for me,although I do like them groups. I was a Crue, Leppard, Dio,Jovi, Poison,Van Halen etc. guy.

How I wish I had been a teenager in the 80's. Seemed like magic times. BTW, I love those other groups you mentioned too!

In the 80's I was hitting the big 20 year old mark (in 82 I was 20) and like The Rocker I was into anything really - I liked some AOR but was also into the glam stuff of the time (still am) and the regular newer rock bands of the time like Tesla for example, whilst still loving the older ones like Starz, Angel, Aerosmith e.t.c. in fact I didn't draw much of a line in the sand between the regular rock bands and AOR, even glam to an lesser extent. There seemed to be less categorisation then....or was it just I wasn't fussed what category a band belonged to? Still not really I think.

Oh by the way I was reading an interview with the Foo Fighters and it touched on production these days and maybe why I feel it all sounds a little samey - in the "olden days" due to analogue recording techniques and different studios/producers each band had it's own kind of sound, drum sounds were different from one band to the next, whereas in the digital age everyone has the same sound because they use the same plugins on protools or whatever. In short they reckoned digitalisation is dehumanising music? hmmm!

I remember chatting with Bruce Mee once and he was saying that you can record a great album on a fraction of what it used to cost and it sounds great - which it does technically I guess but it doesn't have as much identity I think. I'll have to ask him about that again when/if he ever comes for sausages and mash again!

Anyway that's just old fuddy duddy me.

For the record my few 90+ I can think of at the moment

Work of Artt - In Progress - 91%

Vain - Enough Rope 92 maybe 93% with a few more listens

oops posted twice...happening a lot these days....back in my day we didn't have computers ...just a piece of stone and a chisel! AND we were thankful for that.

My 90+ so far this year:

The Magnificent - 94%

Miss Behaviour - 93%

Work of Art - In progress - 92%

Lovex - 95%

Pendragon - 92%

Reckless Love - 90%

Saxon - 90%

Shy - 90%

Within Temptation - 92%

Looks like you accidentally added-in those two albums from your top 10 in 1978 list, rather than 2011. Easy mistake to make.

Don't knock 'em mate. One of the best Saxon albums in 20 years and one of the best Prog albums of the year without doubt.

I forgot a cd that came out earlier this year that I love Whitesnake- Forevermore 95%

I forgot a cd that came out earlier this year that I love Whitesnake- Forevermore 95%

I forgot it too. ;)

Got this sexy little The Magnificent CD in the mail this afternoon. Only got to spin 3 songs before I got home. Was a little under-whelmed by the first two (solid, but not amazing choruses, imo), but zomfg, how good is 'Memories?!'

I forgot it too. ;)

Got this sexy little The Magnificent CD in the mail this afternoon. Only got to spin 3 songs before I got home. Was a little under-whelmed by the first two (solid, but not amazing choruses, imo), but zomfg, how good is 'Memories?!'

Lol - the Whitesnake is solid but has been eclipsed by the quality in 2011

I forgot it too. ;)

Just like in the movie Jerry MacGuire, the Magnificent cd 'had me at Hello!' Hard to say the cd has grown on me, since I liked it the first time I heard it. Tracks like 'Holding On To Your Love' and 'Smoke & Fire' sound better and better each time I listen.

I forgot it too. ;)

Just like in the movie Jerry MacGuire, the Magnificent cd 'had me at Hello!' Hard to say the cd has grown on me, since I liked it the first time I heard it. Tracks like 'Holding On To Your Love' and 'Smoke & Fire' sound better and better each time I listen.

I agree. It's funny how a cd that sounded good from the start seems to have gotten even better, but it has!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is what 'drives me crazy'...bonus tracks. Amazing song, should be on the disc for everyone, not just the Japanese pressing.

Best song I've heard so far in 2012. :bowdown: Too bad it came out in 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX-YTY4yFG4

This is what 'drives me crazy'...bonus tracks. Amazing song, should be on the disc for everyone, not just the Japanese pressing.

Best song I've heard so far in 2012. :bowdown: Too bad it came out in 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX-YTY4yFG4

Just further cements it as the best release of 2011

C*nts; Whoever decided to put this on the Jap version instead of the proper one. 2nd best song on the album, imo. If someone gets an MP3 of this I'd rub their leg for it to be sent my way. ;)

C*nts; Whoever decided to put this on the Jap version instead of the proper one. 2nd best song on the album, imo. If someone gets an MP3 of this I'd rub their leg for it to be sent my way. ;)

ha, weird that I was just PM ing saying that this was a good track, but second best is way off the mark IMO.

Bottom half of the album for me. No way would this top 'Angel', 'Lost', 'Love's On The Line', 'Smoke & Fire', 'Memories' or 'Cheated By Love' come to that..............the band obviously thought so too as it was dumped as a Jap bonus.

That said it should have been included as track 13 - would have made a better end to the album than 'Harvest Moon'.

I would like to get it to(without the leg rubbing stuff)!

ha, weird that I was just PM ing saying that this was a good track, but second best is way off the mark IMO.

Bottom half of the album for me. No way would this top 'Angel', 'Lost', 'Love's On The Line', 'Smoke & Fire', 'Memories' or 'Cheated By Love' come to that..............the band obviously thought so too as it was dumped as a Jap bonus.

That said it should have been included as track 13 - would have made a better end to the album than 'Harvest Moon'.

I agree 100%

I think "Harvest Moon" is awesome. Killer song. I haven't heard this bonus track but to be honest I'd rather not, don't want to be tempted into buying the Jap version...

I agree 100%

Plenty of good tunes, hence why I rated it so high, but on first spin I only preferred 'Memories' out of those listed above. :)

I agree 100%

Plenty of good tunes, hence why I rated it so high, but on first spin I only preferred 'Memories' out of those listed above. :)

lol, Memories would be near the bottom of those listed for me. I find that one a bit cheesy to be honest....good song, but I prefer the harder tracks like LOTL, Lost, Cheated By Love etc.

Anyway this discussion is pointless, cos the whole thing is excellent from beginning to end IMO.

Memories is easily my fav on the Maginificent....that's saying alot since half of my fav tunes from the past year are from this release. It was also my song of the year for 2011. Probably the most glorious AOR anthem since Brother Firetribes - Wildest Dreams. Like Glen has said, why argue about something so damn good.

I'm hoping The Magnificent aren't simply a one and done project.

Anyway this discussion is pointless, cos the whole thing is excellent from beginning to end IMO.

Nicely summed-up! I didn't rate it as no.1 but frankly it was so close (and in the end it just came down to which ones I played the most) that any criticism of it is ridiculous. Trouble is, it came so out-of-the-blue and surprised everyone, but next time expectations will be sky-high...

Memories is easily my fav on the Maginificent....that's saying alot since half of my fav tunes from the past year are from this release. It was also my song of the year for 2011. Probably the most glorious AOR anthem since Brother Firetribes - Wildest Dreams.

Yep, of course it's the best song on the CD - by miles. Ridiculously grand. Glen just likes to cause trouble. ;)

Even if Memories wasn't on the cd, I still think it would be my fav of 2011...that's how strong that release is.

Memories is easily my fav on the Maginificent....that's saying alot since half of my fav tunes from the past year are from this release. It was also my song of the year for 2011. Probably the most glorious AOR anthem since Brother Firetribes - Wildest Dreams.

Yep, of course it's the best song on the CD - by miles. Ridiculously grand. Glen just likes to cause trouble. ;)

I think the best song on it is Smoke & Fire!!!