The Magnificent

zacharyamelie

Wow if this sounds 'plain and simple' we must all be becoming very picky or have been spoilt in 2011, one of the two.

Sounds excellent to me...............

• 2 weeks later...

Why can't the mail service be faster????

I need this to arrive....like yesterday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZnvFrzpLoE

If this isn't my favourite release this year, I'll be surprised.

They sound like Place Vendome mixed with Brother Firetribe and this makes Dave happy in his pants.

They sound like Place Vendome mixed with Brother Firetribe and this makes Dave happy in his pants.

YES!!!

YES!!!

I would also add Winter Rose w/ James Lebrie

Some people would say that naming your band (project) after such an adjective / superlative was just asking for trouble - or else being highly pretentious.

Well, being now a fair few spins in I am glad to report that this actually lives up to its name and has inspired me to do only my second summary of the year so far - so here goes -

1. Holding On To Your Love - (8.5) Good solid start to the album - you can already sense the quality to come, even if this hook could be a tad stronger

2. Cheated By Love - (9.5) Yikes how good? Just a storming rocker in the vein of Place Vendome with a very cool chorus and KILLER solo

3. Memories - (8.75) Maybe just a little too sugar coated for me but you cant deny the hook here and the playing is excellent

4. Angel - (9.75) Simply put one of the best ballads this year. Over the top chorus and again a brilliant solo

5. Satin & Lace - (9.0) A real groove to this song and love that chorus - verses as well are particularly juicy

6. Love's On The Line - (9.5) Killer verses again! Great riff here and all in all just another great slab of melodic rock. Oh and did I mention the solo again? Smokes!

7. Bullets - (9.0) Yet another great track - uptempo rocker with great chorus and solo

8. Smoke & Fire - (9.25) Great mid-tempo track - lush sound/hook/solo. Reminds me of Treat

9. Tired Of Dreaming - (8.75) Slight dip, but that's only below the level of excellence - would be a cool track on most other releases this year!

10. If It Takes All Night - (8.75) Ballad. Not as good as Angel, but still worthy and again a pretty special solo. End slightly flat and pointless

11. Lost - (10) Melodic rock perfection - crack this bad boy up to 10...the end is particularly killer. Brilliant stuff.

12. Harvest Moon - (8.75) Mid tempo end to the album but still a lush track with nice keys/chorus

Well by my dodgy maths I make that 91.25% which would tie equally with Work Of Art. Truth be told, Work Of Art will maybe just edge it, but this is an excellent melodic (almost hard) rock release. The production is spot on (for a change), the hooks are great and the solos are pretty much excellent throughout.

Stick Place Vendome, Treat and maybe Allen Lande through a mixer and out pops The Magnificent.

Mandatory purchase IMO.

Cheers

Some people would say that naming your band (project) after such an adjective / superlative was just asking for trouble - or else being highly pretentious.

Well, being now a fair few spins in I am glad to report that this actually lives up to its name and has inspired me to do only my second summary of the year so far - so here goes -

1. Holding On To Your Love - (8.5) Good solid start to the album - you can already sense the quality to come, even if this hook could be a tad stronger

2. Cheated By Love - (9.5) Yikes how good? Just a storming rocker in the vein of Place Vendome with a very cool chorus and KILLER solo

3. Memories - (8.75) Maybe just a little too sugar coated for me but you cant deny the hook here and the playing is excellent

4. Angel - (9.75) Simply put one of the best ballads this year. Over the top chorus and again a brilliant solo

5. Satin & Lace - (9.0) A real groove to this song and love that chorus - verses as well are particularly juicy

6. Love's On The Line - (9.5) Killer verses again! Great riff here and all in all just another great slab of melodic rock. Oh and did I mention the solo again? Smokes!

7. Bullets - (9.0) Yet another great track - uptempo rocker with great chorus and solo

8. Smoke & Fire - (9.25) Great mid-tempo track - lush sound/hook/solo. Reminds me of Treat

9. Tired Of Dreaming - (8.75) Slight dip, but that's only below the level of excellence - would be a cool track on most other releases this year!

10. If It Takes All Night - (8.75) Ballad. Not as good as Angel, but still worthy and again a pretty special solo. End slightly flat and pointless

11. Lost - (10) Melodic rock perfection - crack this bad boy up to 10...the end is particularly killer. Brilliant stuff.

12. Harvest Moon - (8.75) Mid tempo end to the album but still a lush track with nice keys/chorus

Well by my dodgy maths I make that 91.25% which would tie equally with Work Of Art. Truth be told, Work Of Art will maybe just edge it, but this is an excellent melodic (almost hard) rock release. The production is spot on (for a change), the hooks are great and the solos are pretty much excellent throughout.

Stick Place Vendome, Treat and maybe Allen Lande through a mixer and out pops The Magnificent.

Mandatory purchase IMO.

Cheers

Good write-up, but given that I found 'Cheated By Love' really generic and uninteresting and you give it 9.5, I think it's safe to say I can give this one a wide berth! :)

Mandatory purchase IMO.

Cheers

Good write-up, but given that I found 'Cheated By Love' really generic and uninteresting and you give it 9.5, I think it's safe to say I can give this one a wide berth! :)

I can think of a lot of generic albums this year.....this aint one of them.

Mandatory purchase IMO.

Cheers

Absolutely backed, Glen !! AWESOME disc !!

Mandatory purchase IMO.

Cheers

I'll revisit 'Cheated By Love' and give 'Lost' a spin, then come back...

Perfect bombastic melodic rock, with the added inclusion of some extra balls. Tight production, superb songs and some really fab keys just the way I like 'em. I've read some people slating Michael Eriksen's vocals, but I really think some people are never happy to be honest and will find fault with something just for the hell of it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with his vox whatsoever. Glen's Place Vendome/ Allen Lande description is a pretty good one, I'd also add a little Leverage (Torsti Spoof's obvious influence) and Brother Firetribe in the mix aswell. Definitely a 90+ disc and deservedly so. The Magnificent sont magnifiques!

Mandatory purchase IMO.

Cheers

You mean like Serpentine? ;)

This one got dispatched from Amazon yesterday so I should have it next week. I will admit that based on the samples I heard, I'll be amazed if I rate it quite as high as you guys... but I really hope I do. Can't wait to hear this one.

Mandatory purchase IMO.

Cheers

The Magnificent album is much superior to work of art's latest IMHO.

Ohh dear ... sorry Glen, we'll have to agree to disagree with this one. I played 'Cheated By Love' a few times and I while the song is fine I still feel that it is so generic. I don't expect every band to come up with a new sound, but some new tunes would be nice and this just sounded like I'd heard it before. Then I listened to the sample from 'Lost' on HH and was left feeling :huhsign:

Anyway, I'm glad you fellas are enjoying this, but it's not for me.

Ohh dear ... sorry Glen, we'll have to agree to disagree with this one. I played 'Cheated By Love' a few times and I while the song is fine I still feel that it is so generic. I don't expect every band to come up with a new sound, but some new tunes would be nice and this just sounded like I'd heard it before. Then I listened to the sample from 'Lost' on HH and was left feeling :huhsign:

Anyway, I'm glad you fellas are enjoying this, but it's not for me.

SAMPLES DO NOT DO THIS ALBUM JUSTICE. EVERY SOLO ON IT IS KILLER.

Mandatory purchase IMO.

Cheers

The Magnificent album is much superior to work of art's latest IMHO.

Very much agree.

Mandatory purchase IMO.

Cheers

I might the only one who thinks you are being harsh with your review.

8.75 for Memories is an insult. The sugar coating is so delicious that I am eating it up with delight. Probably the best Melodic AOR tune since 'Wildest Dreams' from Brother Firetribe in 2008. The song is as perfect as it gets and the soloing in freakin' amazing.

Although I do agree that Cheated By Love is amazing and finding hard to believe some finding it generic. Lost is brilliant as well, as are Angel and Love's On The Line.

I'm not too impressed with this after 1 listen. It started off good with the first 2 tracks but then it's more melodic rock by numbers , like most Frontiers releases these days. Really bad lyrics too.

You obviously love White Widdow and yet The Magnificent don't impress? I'm shocked, as much as I love the new WW it isn't comparable to the over the top griandose brilliance of the Magnificent. The WW is easy on the ears, no doubt, the songs have catchy choruses and some smoking guitars, but the songs aren't anywhere as big, meaty or memorable as most of the Magnificent's debut. The biggest reason I can remember the choruses on the new WW are because the are so lyrically simple and repetitive (ie: Pateiently, Serenade and especially Love Won't Wait) It's like saying last years WW or H.E.A.T. was stronger than the Treat's Coup De Grace.

I just find it hard to believe fans of melodic rock wouldn't instantly love The Magnificent. :omg:

I'm not too impressed with this after 1 listen. It started off good with the first 2 tracks but then it's more melodic rock by numbers , like most Frontiers releases these days. Really bad lyrics too.

You obviously love White Widdow and yet The Magnificent don't impress? I'm shocked, as much as I love the new WW it isn't comparable to the over the top griandose brilliance of the Magnificent. The WW is easy on the ears, no doubt, the songs have catchy choruses and some smoking guitars, but the songs aren't anywhere as big, meaty or memorable as most of the Magnificent's debut. The biggest reason I can remember the choruses on the new WW are becasue the are so lyrically simple and repetetive (ie: Pateiently, Serenade and especially Love Won't Wait) It's like saying last years WW or H.E.A.T. was stronger than the Treat's Coup De Grace.

I just find it hard to belive fans of melodic rock wouldn't instantly love The Magnificent. :omg:

Thats the beauty of diversity in music tastes, imho. I also agree the magificent is a fab album & do find it odd that someone who enjoy mhr / white widdow's latest album may not enjoy listening to ir as much as I do. However I do find White Widdow's serenade album to be a much more enjoyable listen & IMHO, a better album.

Gotta completely agree...not for me, I think I'm just out of the AOR loop these days, dunno what it is but it's just not rocking my world...is it the production? just boring ..no grunt, nothing sexy or mind blowing, or BOOM, no dynamics that put you close to the edge before pushing you off ...no wow put the window down I wanna have the world here this! Just chug-a-lug stuff. Maybe bands should start recording analogue again coz I tell ya I find it hard to distinguish one band from another these days. I'd be interested to see if they were a gigging band before this release or just something that's been thrown together by like minded individuals just before they went into the studio...sat in front of a computer...whatever..

For me 9 times out of 10 the Frontiers label sucks. they need some kind of quality control. But it's getting rave reviews everywhere...so obviously I'm wrong.

I may be 49 but I'm not ready for a bath chair yet...now where's that Rods album! :)

I guess it's understandable that usually people who favors White Widdow over The Magnificent is usually don't really like heavy metal or anything that's harder than the typical 80s AOR full of keyboard.

Probably also the reason that they don't really dig Place Vendome or Allen/Lande, but that's acceptable I think, I mean, not a single album in the world that can please everybody anyway.

But I disagree with Nick's opinion on Frontiers. That label has been helping us getting quality AOR/MHR albums in the last 15 years, and also some other genres, so yes of course they do have poor albums, but what's poor in our eyes aren't really that way in the others. One thing's great is that Serafino always embrace a vast range of genre, not only 80s AOR, but also melodic metal, prog rock, hard rock, etc.

and in the next 5 years, when major label has decided to trash off physical CD, Frontiers might be the sole survivor in the industry.

Yep bud...you are right on what's poor in some peoples eyes isn't in others.

You nailed it - not one album can please everyone....those who disagree we can beat up anyway haha!

Frontiers..... Not a bad label but I just feel they go for quantity over quality...but again that gets us back to not one album can please everyone, with regards Frontiers releases I thought the Hardline album Leaving the End Open was the best album the label had put out for yonks (ages) yet that got pretty much slated heh! So at the end of the day what do I know? I just want my AOR to rock a little harder, be a little different and surprise me rather than being the A-Z book of AOR...bring on the next Robby Valentine, but then am I more pomp???

Holy shit some strange comments going on here - not sure how much harder AOR can rock than this?? Anyway it's bordering on melodic hard rock for me & rocks at least as hard as last years Coup De Grace! And I don't want to keep bashing White Widdow (cos I do like them) but this leaves Serenade for dead IMHO