NON-Rock Songs Covered by Hard Rock Bands

T-BONE

I think the key is to find those "guilty pleasure" songs that everyone knows and loves but doesn't want to admit it AND they know all the words to so they can sing along, here's some I think would be cool to cover (I have no idea if any 80's hard rock bands have covered any of these songs)

Village People - YMCA

Toni Basil - Mickey

Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come On Eileen

Styx - Mr Roboto

Survivor - Eye Of The Tiger

If you do end up putting this together Ty let me know, I may end up making a road trip! I have a good buddy here in Kansas City who is in a band and into the KC music scene, and he did the same thing you are talking about, but it was a Journey tribute band. Each of them even dressed up like the members. One of the best times I ever had at a concert, everyone just loved it!

Great selection of songs there Studboy. Have you heard the NO DOUBT cover of Come on Eileen.... awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehSgJF7BIds

Its a popular misconception that that cover is No Doubt. Its actually another Orange County band called Save Ferris.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCzWPBR30Nk

There's a few CDs you should check out also, all are covers mixed with pop songs:

Rock Sugar - Reimaginator (mashups of metal/rock and pop songs)

The Black Sweden - Gold (metal/rock musical covers with Abba lyrics and melodies)

The Boogie Knights - Welcome to the Jungle Boogie (Jeff Scott Soto does disco)

Have them all aleady. Boogie Knights has some potential, but the other 2 aren't the type we've been looking for. Rock Sugar is all mashups of songs and the Black Sweden is also mashups of a different style.

Tragedy are worth checking out, as they metalise Bee Gees songs rather than do mash ups (although they do throw some Sabb and Zepp in one song).

Was listening to a bit of "country" today and I think if you rocked it up properly Big & Rich' Save A Horse Ride A Cowboy could work well.

There have already been local rock bands doing that tune in my area. At least 6 that I can count. It does lend itself to rock very easily. Honkytonk Badonkadonk is on the list :headbanger:

Another that came/comes to mind in the "country" arena is the Hank Jr. song "My Name Is Bosephus". If memory serves Van Halen played a bit on that tune even and I am sure-ish I saw a video with them in it as well...

I might post this here, a cover of Britney Spears' 'Everytime,' by modern metal band Yashin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27DQa1z54g4

I personally love this version, but I'd have to admit that I don't mind the original either... love that piano.

• 1 month later...