Vocalists you know you should not like... but do anyway?

heavyharmonies

Finnish vocalists.

I personally think there is only one vocalist in the entire country and he somehow ends up on every single CD that comes out of Finland, going under different names. I hate him. That deep, sad, depressing tone on every CD... f*ck I hate it. But that said, there are some good bands from Finland despite this guy trying to ruin them all.

I should add that the single exception seems to be the chap from Brother Firetribe / Leverage. He's got a good voice, but with only 2 vocalists in the entire country I just wish they'd use him more. ;)

You honestly think Olli from Reckless Love sounds deep, sad and depressing?

Or Michael Monroe for that matter?

And lets not forget Niki from Barbe-Q-Barbies.

Okay, fair point. There are 3 vocalists in the country - forgot about the dude from Reckless Love.

And yeah, Micahel Monroe is a little different I guess, but I still hate his voice and style for similar reasons as the others. No idea who that last one is. ;)

Yeah, too many to mention, to be honest. Tom Kiefer when he's screaming

I can handle Keifer and most anyone else when they're singing heavier songs, but guys like him, Axl Rose, Mark Slaugher and C.J. Snare really have no business singing ballads. They just don't have the right voice for it.

Couldnt disagree more. Some of my fave songs by those guys are the ballads, and some of those ballads are among my fave songs ever.

Some of my favorite songs too. I just don't think they have the right voice for it. Like the thread title says, I shouldn't like it, but I do anyway.

Yes, but I think those voices are what make those songs great. For instance, I have heard a few other versions of Sweet child, and none of them come close to matching the Axl vocal on that.

I'd never say Axl was a great singer, but his style is his own, and most GNR songs just wouldnt be as good without his voice.

The day Mr Geoff hasnt heard of a lady like this is the day that the sun goes black ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbr0g48mYN4

Not bad... the lead singer is a sexy bit of gear, it must be said. Wouldn't mind seeing her revolve around on my co... Coke. My bottle of Coke. Jeez dudes, ease up.

u mean like Axl Rose? i think he fucking blows and the only reason i can even tolerate GNR(Appetite and Lies only)is because the band rocks so incredibly hard that they even make Axl sound good!

I can handle Keifer and most anyone else when they're singing heavier songs, but guys like him, Axl Rose, Mark Slaugher and C.J. Snare really have no business singing ballads. They just don't have the right voice for it.

Couldnt disagree more. Some of my fave songs by those guys are the ballads, and some of those ballads are among my fave songs ever.

I agree with the disagree! CJ and Tom K., they sound great on the ballads that they sing.

I agree with the disagree! CJ and Tom K., they sound great on the ballads that they sing.

I have nothing useful to add to this debate, except to say that this is one of the best songs ever and sounds perfect just as it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i28UEoLXVFQ&ob=av2e

• 4 years later...
  • My Little Pony

This thread popped up when I searched for Johnny Gioeli. How messed up is that?

Anyway, the funny thing is I had been thinking about this a couple weeks ago. Tom Keifer totally fits the bill. I was thinking the other day just how ridiculous his voice is, but, at the same time, how much I absolutely love it. It doesn't make sense that anyone should like his screaming voice, but we do. Just talking about him makes me wanna go listen to Cinderella.

• 2023 Gold Donors

I guess there's a few but the one that comes to mind is Drew Hannah from "wildside". "Under the Influence" is one of my favourite albums of all time and although Hannah has a terrible voice it just seems to fit perfectly with the music. I couldn't imagine anyone else on vocals.

Anyone else ever encounter this? A vocalist that either has annoying characteristics or isn't very good, and logically you should avoid, yet you find yourself listing anyway, either because their strong characteristics outweigh the negatives, or the other aspects of the music make it win despite the vocalist?

I'm running into this right now with Rob Moratti - Victory. As with every other thing he's ever done, he sounds like a damned chipmunk, yet like all the Final Frontier material, I love it. This new album is great stuff!... but every now and then I find myself looking around the room for Alvin and Theodore... http://heavyharmonies.ipbhost.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/lol.gif

I think RM sounds a damned sight better on 'Victory' than he does on FF stuff...........God some of that is so high pitched it sounds like he's on helium!

Some singers who are SHIT who I have enjoyed their songs and music over the years -

Ozzy

Lemmy

James Hetfield

Fish

Brian Johnson

Don Dokken

This

I love "4:00am forever", "Bring 'em down" and "We'll bring an arsenal" by "Lost Prophets", but for obvious reasons i just can't bring myself to listen to them.

Their good songs are still good - and they do have some great ones. No excuse in the world for what the lead singer did, but like I said in another thread, I'm just lying to myself if I think it has any impact on how I view their music.

And I do have empathy for the other guys in the band too. From every report I've read, the other guys in the band were as shocked as the rest of the world and part of me would feel bad for them to completely bar their music from my ears forever.

Anyway, I'm just lucky I'm a simple person. A good song is a good song. Life is really that simple for me. Whether it be One Direction, Lostprophets or christ forbid, if The Darkness ever create a good song. ;)

• 2023 Gold Donors

I love "4:00am forever", "Bring 'em down" and "We'll bring an arsenal" by "Lost Prophets", but for obvious reasons i just can't bring myself to listen to them.

Their good songs are still good - and they do have some great ones. No excuse in the world for what the lead singer did, but like I said in another thread, I'm just lying to myself if I think it has any impact on how I view their music.

And I do have empathy for the other guys in the band too. From every report I've read, the other guys in the band were as shocked as the rest of the world and part of me would feel bad for them to completely bar their music from my ears forever.

Anyway, I'm just lucky I'm a simple person. A good song is a good song. Life is really that simple for me. Whether it be One Direction, Lostprophets or christ forbid, if The Darkness ever create a good song. ;)

I completely agree, but unfortunately i'd be lying to myself if i thought it didn't impact my views on their music. I think because of watkins' creative input (music, lyrics and i believe cover art design), it just spoils my enjoyment of their stuff. I wish it didn't.

I completely agree, but unfortunately i'd be lying to myself if i thought it didn't impact my views on their music. I think because of watkins' creative input (music, lyrics and i believe cover art design), it just spoils my enjoyment of their stuff. I wish it didn't.

Yeah, this is one case I do completely understand why someone would distance themselves from the band's music forever. But yeah, to each their own I guess. I want to make it very clear that I think the guy should be executed violently, as should everyone else who commits any crime against children... but for whatever reason, I seem to be able to separate this from my enjoyment of the music.