Jani Lane Found Dead

T-BONE

It appeared that nobody over at HubPages had written anything about Jani Lane's death so I figured I might as well be the first... hope y'all dig.

http://fatfreddyscat.hubpages.com/hub/Jani-Lane-of-Warrant-1964-2011

Great job, Keith :headbanger:

Thanx bro!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2023 Gold Donors

The bridge part 'I've been hurt and I've been blind....' in I Saw Red is still to this day my favourite few seconds in a song ever.

Oh, and in hindsight... was there a better and more amazing ballad than 'I saw red' at the time? I think not...

I love that tune but always liked "Blind Faith" even more.

Agreed 100%...thats a good and underrated tune.

The bridge part 'I've been hurt and I've been blind....' in I Saw Red is still to this day my favourite few seconds in a song ever.

Oh, and in hindsight... was there a better and more amazing ballad than 'I saw red' at the time? I think not...

I love that tune but always liked "Blind Faith" even more.

Yeah, me too. But through the years there's just something about 'I saw red,' especially the lyrics, that set it aside from your "typical" ballad at the time. The "I don't think I'm gonna love you anymore" line especially (in context of the song) always really got me. Both amazing songs, though. I always had a huge soft spot for the acoustic version of 'Blind faith' too, which was the b-side to the 'We will rock you' single, which I actually got well before I ever heard the 'Cherry Pie' album. I still played the acoustic version after I got 'Cherry Pie.' The dude just had a knack for writing and delivering an incredibly heartfelt tune.

Another one of Warrant's most under-rated songs, imo, was 'Andy Warhol Was Right.' Amazing tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5lHQnygt-s

Haha, just as I mention it I read the last line of Keef's article. Nice write-up, mate. :)

Ah, why not. I'll post this too, just because of how much I hate covers but always just LOVED this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WX0dLwlBTs&ob=av2e

Killer band effort, particularly Joey Allen's solos, in this case.

I've said it many times on here when I have spoken about why I wasnt keen on the last two Warrant albums, or why I like Belly to belly when most dont, and that was down to Jani's lyrics.

For me he was one of the greatest lyric writers of that genre, and pretty much rock and metal as a whole.

I honestly think that had he gone the Desmond Child route, and switched to primarily song writing for other bands, he may have actually not ended up in the state he spent most of the last few years of his life.

I cant see why he couldnt have penned songs and been as successful as Child, as I certainly think he could have just as easily written pop songs as well as he wrote rock songs.

For me, while I can never find any sympathy for drink and drug related deaths, as at the end of the day you choose to destroy yourself as nobody forces you to become and addict, I can at least acknowledge that unlike Amy Winehouse, he didnt take pride in what he became, and at least had a credible career and an over abundance of talent that we will miss.

I've said it many times on here when I have spoken about why I wasnt keen on the last two Warrant albums, or why I like Belly to belly when most dont, and that was down to Jani's lyrics.

For me he was one of the greatest lyric writers of that genre, and pretty much rock and metal as a whole.

I honestly think that had he gone the Desmond Child route, and switched to primarily song writing for other bands, he may have actually not ended up in the state he spent most of the last few years of his life.

I cant see why he couldnt have penned songs and been as successful as Child, as I certainly think he could have just as easily written pop songs as well as he wrote rock songs.

For me, while I can never find any sympathy for drink and drug related deaths, as at the end of the day you choose to destroy yourself as nobody forces you to become and addict, I can at least acknowledge that unlike Amy Winehouse, he didnt take pride in what he became, and at least had a credible career and an over abundance of talent that we will miss.

I agree 1000%. While I don't love Belly to Belly I do enjoy it from the time to time and lyrics are top notch and it's easy to relate to what he was saying in most of those tunes.

I agree 1000%. While I don't love Belly to Belly I do enjoy it from the time to time and lyrics are top notch and it's easy to relate to what he was saying in most of those tunes.

You make a good point, Cap'n, about the song writing for other people. Nothing showcases what might have been possible more than the success of 'Cherry Pie,' which, as I understand it and Keef says in his article, was written as a last minute inclusion for a single. If you can write a song that became that huge in such a short time, no reason you couldn't do it for other clowns.

And yeah, Wes, it's sad that to many he was only the guy who sung 'Cherry Pie.' I was driving around in the car with my wife on the weekend and was surprised and I guess, "pleased" to hear Jani's passing ackowledged on one of the local radio stations here in Australia. But what annoyed me, was that as a tribute they played 'Cherry Pie' twice, back to back. Is that seriously all they had? Not even a copy of 'Heaven' lying around, or something at least?

Count me in as one who LOVES Belly To Belly. Great tunes imo...never got the credit it should have along with the awesome Ultraphobic.

Count me in as one who LOVES Belly To Belly. Great tunes imo...never got the credit it should have along with the awesome Ultraphobic.

I intentionally didn't bring 'Belly to belly' to work with me today, but I wish I had. I forgot the 'Jabberwocky Demos' too so I'll bring both in tomorrow. I do remember sincerely hating 'Belly to Belly' aside from the wonderful 'Letter to a friend,' so I'll see how I go. 'Ultraphobic,' however, is excellent.

I intentionally didn't bring 'Belly to belly' to work with me today, but I wish I had. I forgot the 'Jabberwocky Demos' too so I'll bring both in tomorrow. I do remember sincerely hating 'Belly to Belly' aside from the wonderful 'Letter to a friend,' so I'll see how I go. 'Ultraphobic,' however, is excellent.

"Letter to a Friend" is aweomse but I also dig "Coffee House", "Indian Giver", "AYM" and "Feels Good".

Ultraphobic is the better album but it's still not as good as the first 3 releases.

"Letter to a Friend" is aweomse but I also dig "Coffee House", "Indian Giver", "AYM" and "Feels Good".

Ultraphobic is the better album but it's still not as good as the first 3 releases.

Nah, 'Ultraphobic' is definitely 4th behind the first 3. I remember 'Indian Giver' and 'AYM' possibly having moments of redemption? I'll see how I go tomorrow.

Nah, 'Ultraphobic' is definitely 4th behind the first 3. I remember 'Indian Giver' and 'AYM' possibly having moments of redemption? I'll see how I go tomorrow.

I would list Ultraphobic 3rd behind of course Dog Eat Dog & close with Cherry Pie. While I love the debut it does not stand the test of time for me. Depending on what day it is, Ultraphobic might even be my 2nd pick :)

It's funny you mention the Jabberwocky demos. I was just thinking about digging those up. Absolutely without a doubt, someone has to release these properly. Great songs, maybe the best stuff he has ever written.

Tragic ending and I can't imagine the pain his family and friends must be going through at this moment.

Professionally, the guy was a monster talent to say the least and I, for one, loved his evolution as a songwriter. Go to laneyjanemusic.com to get a feel for Lane's legacy. Hopefully someone will finally give Jabberwocky a proper release.

RIP Jani.

AYM & Indian giver are easily two of my fave songs on Belly to belly, and are certainly songs that I include in my Warrant playlist. Vertigo is at least equal to those two as well.

Letter to a friend, as mentioned, is also a highlight for me.

I would list Ultraphobic 3rd behind of course Dog Eat Dog & close with Cherry Pie. While I love the debut it does not stand the test of time for me. Depending on what day it is, Ultraphobic might even be my 2nd pick :)

It's funny you mention the Jabberwocky demos. I was just thinking about digging those up. Absolutely without a doubt, someone has to release these properly. Great songs, maybe the best stuff he has ever written.

Yeah, it'd be great to hear 'Jabberwocky' with some type of decent sound/recording. Some really great songs on it, namely one of my all-time faves ever - 'Private Blue World.'

Backed on Private Blue World. Beautiful song.

Love Comfortable with Sad, too.

Both great and my favorite is the one (title escapes me for now) thats pretty dark, gloomy...a bit suicidal. Damn what is the name???

***Update***

It's One More For The Road :)

http://www.legacy.co...5-8dLk.facebook

Jani "John Patrick Oswald" Lane

janilane.jpg

``I held you for a moment in my hands. The moment slipped away like sand...and I am so much stronger now.'

Jani Lane, aka John Patrick Oswald passed away, unexpectedly on August 11, 2011 in Woodland Hills, Calif. He was 47 years old.

Jani was a standout in the crowd because of his tremendous versatility in talent, he adored his life in music. He also had a love for cooking, reading and enjoyed intense conversation on Theology and the Universe, which he shared with his father, Robert and brother, Eric.

Jani was preceded in death by his parents, Robert and Eileen Oswald. He is survived by his two daughters, Taylar and Madison Lane; his brother, Eric Oswald; and his sisters and their families, Marcine Williams, Michelle Robinson, Victoria Ley and a multitude of extended family and friends. Please know, Jani had a special place in his heart for his family and friends, and will be greatly missed.

Please, respect the family's wishes for a private memorial service. A public dedication and memorial will be announced in the near future. A private memorial service for family will be held on: Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 11 a.m., Crossroads Community Church/Chapel, 15180 Gates St., Doylestown, Ohio 44320. 330-658-1200 http://www.crossroadsonline.tv

Published in Akron Beacon Journal on August 17, 2011

John Patrick? Everything I've ever read (OK, recent memory) says John Kennedy Oswald. Oh well.

Great obit there, knowing what people are like. Please respect the family's wishes for a private service..... oh, by the way, here's where said private service will be. Asshats!

Last night, the Billy Morris Band's final song was a tribute to Jani.... Uncle Tom's Cabin. Pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl9c1Q-sAvM

R.I.P Jani Lane. What a sad lost.

Dog eat dog was such a masterpiece with smart lyrics.

I really loved the first two albums

Belly to belly and Ultraphobic have some good songs (stronger now,followed,indian giver)-

Let's not forget the power ballads in demos for diehard (erik turner) wings of an angel,don'tsay goodnight and Faraway eyes.

I really enjoyed saints of the underground , an underrated project IMO.

I would like to remember the amazing cover of we will rock you, the power (soundtrack for the gladiator , not that one with russel crowe).

I downloaded long time ago some other unknown very good songs ( I don't know if they are b-side).

The titles are: wild young and free,game of war,fatal attraction,tease machine,is it love,very fine line.

It would be nice to hear this songs re recorded in an official version, I think they rocks.

I also like the jabberwocky demos, I listened to them long time ago, It's time to check tem out again.

It's been over a week and I'm still thinking about it....I guess it's safe to say that he was one of my musical heroes.

If I had any musical talent whatsoever and any industry pull whatsoever here is the tribute album I'd do in his honour, sorta like what Jorn did for Dio last year.

The album who be called 'The Song and Dance Man' and would have these 12 tracks on it....most likely in that exact running order.

1) Mr. Rainmaker

2) I Saw Red

3) Quicksand

4) Heaven

5) You're The Only Hell Your Mama Ever Raised

6) The Bitter Pill

7) Uncle Tom's Cabin

8) Bed Of Roses

9) High

10)All My Bridges Are Burning

11)Sad Theresa

12)Stronger Now