Best of 2011 so far

Jez

If I were to do this again I wonder whether THE MAGNIFICENT would be at no.1. Has a little more longevity than the Toby Hitchcock disc (although I could've overplayed that one!). My fave tunes come off that disc ("Memories") and SHY ("Over You"), but the more I play it the more I think it's pretty much flawless...

At last you see the light ;-)

But to be honest some of these albums were so good it's barely worth the argument. Even the stuff that did have the odd filler (like SHY), if there are songs you don't like then just skip them. I barely ever sit and listen to an album all the way through anyway so much prefer something with big standout tracks...

On that subject and in particular the TH disc, I do find myself just playing tracks 6-10 (which are all virtually flawless) and ignoring the rest.

That is very peculiar. Especially since you start just after 3 of the album's best songs in 'How to stop,' 'Let go,' and 'One day I'll stop loving you.'

I just find TH vocals on 'How To Stop' very irritating....after repeated spins this has become my LEAST favourite song :-(

That's my fave track. It is very similar in style to "If I Fall" off the WET disc. I've always found it odd how people can like the same albums but completely different songs...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were to do this again I wonder whether THE MAGNIFICENT would be at no.1. Has a little more longevity than the Toby Hitchcock disc (although I could've overplayed that one!). My fave tunes come off that disc ("Memories") and SHY ("Over You"), but the more I play it the more I think it's pretty much flawless...

But to be honest some of these albums were so good it's barely worth the argument. Even the stuff that did have the odd filler (like SHY), if there are songs you don't like then just skip them. I barely ever sit and listen to an album all the way through anyway so much prefer something with big standout tracks...

On that subject and in particular the TH disc, I do find myself just playing tracks 6-10 (which are all virtually flawless) and ignoring the rest.

That is very peculiar. Especially since you start just after 3 of the album's best songs in 'How to stop,' 'Let go,' and 'One day I'll stop loving you.'

I just find TH vocals on 'How To Stop' very irritating....after repeated spins this has become my LEAST favourite song :-(

That's my fave track. It is very similar in style to "If I Fall" off the WET disc. I've always found it odd how people can like the same albums but completely different songs...

Well we both like 'Tear Down The Barricades' and that absolutely destroys 'How To Stop' imo :-)

Well we both like 'Tear Down The Barricades' and that absolutely destroys 'How To Stop' imo :-)

I like all the songs and personally rated it so high because there is no real "downtime" to speak of. Even the inspiro rockers are still good songs to me. Only tiny issue for me is the production, but song-wise I'd never dream of skipping anything on here. :)

I like all the songs and personally rated it so high because there is no real "downtime" to speak of. Even the inspiro rockers are still good songs to me. Only tiny issue for me is the production, but song-wise I'd never dream of skipping anything on here. :)

I'm on Tim's team. How To Stop is amazing and easily my favourite track on the Toby Hitchcock. The song is over the top ear candy, sorta like Memories was from The Magnificent or Everybody Wants To Be Someone from the last H.E.A.T.

I'm on Tim's team. How To Stop is amazing and easily my favourite track on the Toby Hitchcock. The song is over the top ear candy, sorta like Memories was from The Magnificent or Everybody Wants To Be Someone from the last H.E.A.T.

It amazes me that you lot would take that song over 'Just Say Goodbye', 'Cabo' or 'Tear Down'?? They are three 10/10 killers on the trot imo.

To each their own as usual I guess....still puzzles me tho cos the chorus on How To Stop is irritating and very reptitive....granted the backing vocals are cool, but with Hitchcock whining over the top you can barely hear them??

For the record, my favourite track is also 'How to stop'

Followed by:

Let go

One day I'll stop loving you

I should have said

Summer nights in Cabo

Followed by:

Let go

I should have said

Summer nights in Cabo

Looking back at my rating this is how the songs ranked for me -

Tear Down The Barricades (10)

Just Say Goodbye (10)

Summer Nights in Cabo (9.75)

I Should Have Said (9.75)

This Is The Moment (9.5)

Strong Enough (9.5)

One Day I'll Stop (9.25)

If Its To Be (9.25)

Mercurys Down (9.25)

Let Go (9)

Different Drum (9)

How To Stop (8.75)

So 'How To Stop' is still an 8.75 song which is pretty damned good, its just the rest are better ;-)

Followed by:

Let go

I should have said

Summer nights in Cabo

Looking back at my rating this is how the songs ranked for me -

Tear Down The Barricades (10)

Just Say Goodbye (10)

Summer Nights in Cabo (9.75)

I Should Have Said (9.75)

This Is The Moment (9.5)

Strong Enough (9.5)

One Day I'll Stop (9.25)

If Its To Be (9.25)

Mercurys Down (9.25)

Let Go (9)

Different Drum (9)

How To Stop (8.75)

So 'How To Stop' is still an 8.75 song which is pretty damned good, its just the rest are better ;-)

Good album, but 'If It's To Be' is still my most hated track from 2011. My ratings for the songs wouldn't be as high as yours, probably all 6s and 7s, with the exception of that one which would be a big fat 0!!!

Mate, in one sentence you've just named 3 of my fave songs of the century. If you had squeezed in a mention of "A Scene In Replay" (Place Vendome) and "Wildest Dreams" (BFT) then you'd probably have my top 5...

WTF is Kiske doing with Unisonic?!

Definitely going a harder route again. Could be a grower, I think.

A Scene In Replay - now there is a good song! WTF is Kiske doing with Unisonic?!

We need a 3rd PLACE VENDOME disc. The first two were utterly awesome IMHO...

A Scene In Replay - now there is a good song! WTF is Kiske doing with Unisonic?!

We need a 3rd PLACE VENDOME disc. The first two were utterly awesome IMHO...

I like what I've heard from Unisonic, BUT I agree 100% on a 3rd Place Vendome. Out of the first 2, I love the first one but the 2nd is real good also.

• 4 years later...

Final standings for 2011

1. The Magnificent - s/t - If someone asked me to describe my musical taste I would simply play this album! Stunning bombastic melodic rock from start to finish. Includes my favourite melodic rocker 'Smoke & Fire' and favourite ballad 'Angel' of 2011

2. Dynazty - Knock You Down (Euro) - Simply put this is the new Skid Row for 2011. The Euro version of this album is the must have - huge production, brilliant vocals and not a filler in sight. Lets hope the next album due this year is even better!

3. Toby Hitchcock - Mercurys Down - Stunning release & proves the songwriting prowess of Erik Martensson. Hitchcock sounds amazing throughout and tracks 6-10 match any song this year

4. Work Of Art - In Progress - Great sophomore release.Best pure AOR album of the year

5. Steel Panther - Balls Out - Who said they couldn't follow up that debut? Arguably better with some huge melodic rockers. 'Tiger Woods' and 'Gold Digging Whore' are their best songs to date!

6. Night Ranger - Growin Up In California - Huge comeback album - back to their classic sound. Essential

7. Edens Curse - Trinity- Never knew this band could produce something this good. Amazing attitude in all songs - lets hope they can continue with a new (and better) singer.

8. Vain - Enough Rope - Another huge comeback album. One of the surprises of the year and up there with the debut as a sleaze/glam classic!

9. Destrophy - Cry Havoc - Best modern rock album this year by some way IMO. Love the direction these guys have taken with every song being a melodic gem!

10. Bad Habit - Atmosphere - Congrats to this band for continuing to produce AOR of this standard! Arguably their best and most consistent album.

11. Miss Behaviour - Last Woman Standing

12. Lionville - s/t

13. Reckless Love - Animal Attraction

14. Shy - s/t

15. Lovex - Watch Out

16. Alfonzetti - Here Comes The Night

17. Journey - Eclipse

18. Within Temptation - The Unforgiven

19. Xorigin - State Of The Art

20. Outloud - Love Catastrophe

Honourable Mentions - (most probable 21-30 but impossible to separate)

Edguy - Age Of The Joker

Beggars & Thieves - We Are The Broken Hearted

Ten - Stormwarning

Grand Design - Idolizer

The Poodles - Performacracy

Bai Bang - Livin My Dream

Adelitas Way - Home School Valedictorian

White Widdow - Serenade

Farcry - Optimism

Mecca - Undeniable

All in all 2011 was awesome. Most of the albums in that top 30 are great, with the top 10 or so being genre classics IMO. Lets hope that 2012 continues the great run we are enjoying in the MHR scene!

Cheers

Again based purely on spins, but top 5 most played discs from 2011 are -

1. Work of Art - In Progress

2. Steel Panther - Balls Out

3. Toby Hitchcock - s/t

4. Alfonzetti - Here Comes The Night

5. Beggars & Thieves - We Are The Broken Hearted

Final standings for 2011

1. The Magnificent - s/t - If someone asked me to describe my musical taste I would simply play this album! Stunning bombastic melodic rock from start to finish. Includes my favourite melodic rocker 'Smoke & Fire' and favourite ballad 'Angel' of 2011

2. Dynazty - Knock You Down (Euro) - Simply put this is the new Skid Row for 2011. The Euro version of this album is the must have - huge production, brilliant vocals and not a filler in sight. Lets hope the next album due this year is even better!

3. Toby Hitchcock - Mercurys Down - Stunning release & proves the songwriting prowess of Erik Martensson. Hitchcock sounds amazing throughout and tracks 6-10 match any song this year

4. Work Of Art - In Progress - Great sophomore release.Best pure AOR album of the year

5. Steel Panther - Balls Out - Who said they couldn't follow up that debut? Arguably better with some huge melodic rockers. 'Tiger Woods' and 'Gold Digging Whore' are their best songs to date!

6. Night Ranger - Growin Up In California - Huge comeback album - back to their classic sound. Essential

7. Edens Curse - Trinity- Never knew this band could produce something this good. Amazing attitude in all songs - lets hope they can continue with a new (and better) singer.

8. Vain - Enough Rope - Another huge comeback album. One of the surprises of the year and up there with the debut as a sleaze/glam classic!

9. Destrophy - Cry Havoc - Best modern rock album this year by some way IMO. Love the direction these guys have taken with every song being a melodic gem!

10. Bad Habit - Atmosphere - Congrats to this band for continuing to produce AOR of this standard! Arguably their best and most consistent album.

11. Miss Behaviour - Last Woman Standing

12. Lionville - s/t

13. Reckless Love - Animal Attraction

14. Shy - s/t

15. Lovex - Watch Out

16. Alfonzetti - Here Comes The Night

17. Journey - Eclipse

18. Within Temptation - The Unforgiven

19. Xorigin - State Of The Art

20. Outloud - Love Catastrophe

Honourable Mentions - (most probable 21-30 but impossible to separate)

Edguy - Age Of The Joker

Beggars & Thieves - We Are The Broken Hearted

Ten - Stormwarning

Grand Design - Idolizer

The Poodles - Performacracy

Bai Bang - Livin My Dream

Adelitas Way - Home School Valedictorian

White Widdow - Serenade

Farcry - Optimism

Mecca - Undeniable

All in all 2011 was awesome. Most of the albums in that top 30 are great, with the top 10 or so being genre classics IMO. Lets hope that 2012 continues the great run we are enjoying in the MHR scene!

Cheers

Again based purely on spins, but top 5 most played discs from 2011 are -

1. Work of Art - In Progress

2. Steel Panther - Balls Out

3. Toby Hitchcock - s/t

4. Alfonzetti - Here Comes The Night

5. Beggars & Thieves - We Are The Broken Hearted

Shy didn't save you apparently. :tumbsup:

I actually think if it takes all night is a better ballad than Angel but otherwise completely agree on the magnificent , stunning album, wish there would be another

Yeah another one i need to pull out. Although truth be told i wasnt blown away by them live. Good but not great imo

Good album but not the classic some claimed. Still 80+ %

It's basically their best album, alongside 'Excess All Areas.' And 'Over you' is the best song they ever recorded, and one of my favourites overall.

I actually think if it takes all night is a better ballad than Angel but otherwise completely agree on the magnificent , stunning album, wish there would be another

Yeah another one i need to pull out. Although truth be told i wasnt blown away by them live. Good but not great imo

Love the album STILL! I don't go to too many shows anymore, so I could care less how bands sound live these days. Give me a great studio album like The Magnificent and I'm happy!!!