Covers albums.... you opinion?

While I'm on the subject tonight... 'We will rock you' by Warrant. Anyone who owns the single knows what an amazing job they did on this song. Not only Jani and the band showing what can be done with an already classic song, but a showcase for how amazing Joey Allen was in this era. Stunning cover track.

I agree. This cover blew away the original.

Haha, I forgot I made this post. I agree, though, destroys the original hands down.

• 4 weeks later...

After listening to the Vains of Jenna cover album 'Reverse Tripped' it got me thinking as to whether there are any good covers albums out there.

It seems to me that bands who release albums consisting completely of covers usually have a major dud on their hands. I'm a Vains of Jenna fan, but could not stand the album.

Poison have done it and failed.

Def Lep, Aerosmith, Pretty Boy Floyd, have all had a go too.

There are numerous examples, and i cannot say that i've heard anyone rave about a covers album.

As a fan of Peppermint Creeps, i thought their covers album was actually ok, but it's not something that i'm urged to pull out and play.

Now i love a good cover thrown into an original album, with some of the best examples in my opinion being Starrats (who do Bon Jovi's "I'll Be There For You" and Billy Idol's "Dancing With Myself"), GnR with Knocking On Heaven's Door, and even Sassy Scarlet with 'What A Wonderful World'and 'SOS'.

All of these examples do them in their own style, raterh than just replicating the original. WHy do a cover and make it sound like the original? There's no point is there?

Are there any single-artist covers albums out there that are worth listening to?

Just bought the Overkill covers album, 'Coverkill', so I thought I'd reply to this one. The Overkill CD is a little disappointing in that the covers are all of rock/metal songs. I would much rather hear a metal (or rock) band doing a whole album of non-metal songs and 'heavying them up'. I totally agree that there's no point making a cover version sound like the original. Death's cover of 'Painkiller' was one of the most disappointing songs I've ever heard - I really thought it was going to be a different take on a great song, with growled vocals instead of screeched, but Chuck just went all high-pitched like Halford. Pointless. On the other hand, 'Saturday Nite's Alright' by Flotsam & Jetsam is brilliant; a chugging thrash metal take on Elton John.

Are there any good albums of metal covers of non-metal songs out there?