New Anthrax track...

Fat Freddy

Megadeth and Anthrax might not have the record sales or the fan base of Metallica, but at least they still know how to record great music.

As Geoff would say - Backed!

You can also say the same of Testament and Overkill. :headbanger:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lived with this a couple of weeks and I'm done with it now. After the quality of music on show from this band throughout the 90's they've just spoilt their credibility with everyone - except their 80's fanbase - who thought they were the only big-4 band releasing decent metal in the 90's. Although the overall quality isn't awful, after all this is more aggressive and thrashy than most recent Megadeth albums, it's still very very workmanlike. Would the album have sounded like an 80's throwback if John Bush or Dan Nelson had sung on it? Or Corey Taylor? Nope. Would it have sounded this way if they hadn't been able to secure a nice lucrative Big-4 Tour with all the associated merch? Clealy they needed a new album to sell at those merch stalls so they got Belladonna in the studio before he'd even heard the songs (something he admitted in metal hammer), and gave them something to sell at the stands. I don't hate this album, it's about a half-decent 6/10 I'd say (like the majority of press reviews), but I think it's very cynical and is the perfect nostalgia-trip they needed to get people to buy their tour tickets. Overkill and Testament have been true to their roots IMO, and released much better music than this in the last few years....

Borrowed a co-worker's copy of WORSHIP MUSIC today... and after a few spins, I'd say me likee... considering that I had zero expectations, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Borrowed a co-worker's copy of WORSHIP MUSIC today... and after a few spins, I'd say me likee... considering that I had zero expectations, I'm pleasantly surprised.

I wish I had co-workers who listened to the same stuff I do....I have to go to some weird website full of odd people just to talk about music. :)

I wish I had co-workers who listened to the same stuff I do....I have to go to some weird website full of odd people just to talk about music. :)

:rofl: You have no idea how glad I was when this guy joined the company a year or so ago. It's been ages since I had a real live non-computer person to yap about music with. I've been trying to get him to check out this forum.

I have to go to some weird website full of odd people just to talk about music. :)

And after you've been to MR.com I'm glad you pop in to visit us every once in a while too. :lol:

The more I listen to this album, the more I love it.

My first exposure to Anthrax was the song Antisocial back in the late 80s, which resulted in me buying State of Euphoria on cassette.

I loved that album. Was also a massive fan of Killer B's and Persistance of time.

When Joey left, I bought the Sound of white noise and was not impressed. It had a couple of good tunes on it, but just did not sound like Anthrax.

I also bought the first Belladonna CD, and wasnt exactly blown away by that either, but at least it had an Anthrax feel to it.

There were certain songs from the Bush era that I absolutely loved (Nothing and Poison my eyes being the best two), but it just wasnt Anthrax to me.

Worship music actually manages to capture the spirit of those Anthrax albums I loved without sounding dated, and actually sounds fresh because its been so long since I last heard a proper Anthrax release.

The trademark 80s Anthrax humour isnt as evident here, but it still lurks below the surface. The simple fact that Fight em is about zombies shows that this is a band that has lightened up again, as one of my problems with the Bush era was they took themselves too seriously.

This is honestly one of the best albums I have heard this year, and with the new Megadeth round the corner as well, I am hoping that it will be a good year for the minimal thrash metal stuff that I listen to (I'm gonna pretend the Lou Reed/Metallica thing isnt happening).

On one hand its kind of cool to hear Joey back with them, but the grown up side of me believes Bush was a MUCH!! more compatible vocalist for them, they sounded much more mature as a band, and their songs sounded years ahead of anything with Joey, I will buy this new Anthrax for the shear fact its what i loved as a kid, but I will not put it on and actually hear it, and hold it as a serious work of music, cause Bush brought that out in them, If a band is going to actually lighten up and sound good doing it(i cant think of to many that have) then I will listen to them, anthrax was the best thrash band ever, but thrash isnt really my thing anymore, i guess its either me getting old(which i dont buy cause every venom and slayer album that gets heavier makes me go into a sweet bliss)or Anthrax got better the further they got away from thrash and into just main heavy metal? just my opinion man.

Last night I caught a rerun of this past weekend's episode of "That Metal Show" with Scott & Charlie from Anthrax. Had to laugh at the "Where are they now" bit, when a viewer asked whatever happened to Neil Turbin, Anthrax's original vocalist.

Eddie: (To Scott) "Any idea where he is now?"

Scott: "Nope."

Eddie (To Charlie) "Nobody in the band keeps in touch with him?"

Charlie: "Nope."

(End of segment)

:rofl2: Guess there's still some bad blood there.

Last night I caught a rerun of this past weekend's episode of "That Metal Show" with Scott & Charlie from Anthrax. Had to laugh at the "Where are they now" bit, when a viewer asked whatever happened to Neil Turbin, Anthrax's original vocalist.

Eddie: (To Scott) "Any idea where he is now?"

Scott: "Nope."

Eddie (To Charlie) "Nobody in the band keeps in touch with him?"

Charlie: "Nope."

(End of segment)

:rofl2: Guess there's still some bad blood there.

At least Charlie new he had a band called the Deathriders and that he still does shows.

I thought it was strange that none of the hosts knew that but I guess they don't read Blabbermouth every day like I do.

I enjoyed the episode and loved the love that was thrown at Skid Row's Subhuman Race and hell even Charlie loves that album.

Of course it would of been nice if Eddie would of called Scott out for his comments last year on that show that John Bush is better than Joey and that they need a Lion not a bird and make him eat his words so to speak.

I just got this disc and after one spin I'm liking it but not loving it. There has been almost two years of hype for this and it doesn't live up to it but maybe it will after a few spins. Joey does sound great there is no doubt about that but being the John Bush fan that I am I have to wonder how much better this would of been with him singing but again it is a good album the way it is and Joey does sound great. I will say that it does seem to fade towards the back end of the disc with a few just so so songs and I'm not sure that even the mightly John Bush could of helped that. Again I like this album, hell I like it a lot, but I'd never put it in the same class as 'Spreading', 'Among' or 'Persistance' or even the great Bush albums like 'Sound', 'Stomp' or 'WCFYA'. I might change my mind after more spins, hell I hope I change my mind, but this is just my feeling after one spin so far. It was nice to see that it sold like 25,000 copies and came in high in the US charts so hopefully that helps the band get more gigs(would love to see them on the joint tour with Testament and Death Angel) and leads to them making more new music sooner than later.

(would love to see them on the joint tour with Testament and Death Angel)

Backed on that one. Saw an interview with Petterson recently and Testament have a new album ready to roll...

Sorry to just jump in halfway, but are Scott Ian and the other guitarist guy currently in The Damned Things with Fall Out Boy members... are they still part of Anthrax? And if not, I always thought Anthrax was Scott Ian?

Sorry to just jump in halfway, but are Scott Ian and the other guitarist guy currently in The Damned Things with Fall Out Boy members... are they still part of Anthrax? And if not, I always thought Anthrax was Scott Ian?

I know nothing of this Fall Out Boy thingie of which you speak, but Scott and Rob Caggiano are both on the new Anthrax CD, so yes, they're still part of Anthrax.

Yeah Scott is in many ways "Anthrax", but Charlie Benante is probably the main driving force behind the band.

I know nothing of this Fall Out Boy thingie of which you speak, but Scott and Rob Caggiano are both on the new Anthrax CD, so yes, they're still part of Anthrax.

Check it out if you're interested:

http://www.myspace.com/thedamnedthings

This seems to be the most popular song on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWJ-Oluf3Ww

I've never listened to a full Anthrax CD or had any interest in the band to be honest, but the Damned Things project isn't bad at all.

Which song are you talking about cause this album is 100% a throwback to the Belladonna era.

If anything, it was the Bush era that sounded modern.

"The Devil You Know" sounds nothing like vintage Anthrax imo and is has a definite modern sound to it. The other track ("Fight'em Till You Can't") does indeed sound like old-school Anthrax during the verses, but again the chorus is nothing like their early sound imo.

Upon 2nd spin I've pulled a complete 180 and now think this is really damn good.

Sure I'd love for Bush to still be in the band but between "Fight Em till you Can't", "Earth on Hell", "Devil You Know", "I'm Alive", "In the End" and "Revolution Screams" make this an essential metal purchase for 2011.

I've never listened to a full Anthrax CD or had any interest in the band to be honest, but the Damned Things project isn't bad at all.

Oh Geoff, check out the Anthrax song Safe Home, I know you will enjoy it!

Oh Geoff, check out the Anthrax song Safe Home, I know you will enjoy it!

Just checked it out. Yeah, it's not bad. I was building with Matt the other day on this too, though, about Megadeth. It's generally pretty good stuff, but from that era I would so much prefer the hard rock bands, and when it comes to metal I actually prefer the sound and melody of the new modern metal bands. Sorry doods. I don't know what it is. I would happily enjoy that Anthrax song if it came on the stereo when I was at a party break-dancing on the dancefloor, but at home or in the car I know I would NEVER reach for a CD like that to give it a spin. Nice solo, though.

Which song are you talking about cause this album is 100% a throwback to the Belladonna era.

"The Devil You Know" sounds nothing like vintage Anthrax imo and is has a definite modern sound to it. The other track ("Fight'em Till You Can't") does indeed sound like old-school Anthrax during the verses, but again the chorus is nothing like their early sound imo.

I been listening to it over and over again, and to me it sounds very similar to material from Persistance or Euphoria. Cant hear anything modern about it at all ... guess we will never agree on this one.

Oh, and I am talking about overall sound of the album, not lyrics, as quite frankly I dont want to hear the same lyrics over and over again as I leave that sort of thing to Iron Maiden.

I been listening to it over and over again, and to me it sounds very similar to material from Persistance or Euphoria. Cant hear anything modern about it at all ... guess we will never agree on this one.

Oh, and I am talking about overall sound of the album, not lyrics, as quite frankly I dont want to hear the same lyrics over and over again as I leave that sort of thing to Iron Maiden.

I was talking sound too, not lyrics. I didn't even pay any attention to the lyrics tbh.

Incredible how much we disagree really, TDYK really doesn't sound like classic Anthrax (or even old school at all) to me.