HUGE Retrospect news!

I've been vocal in my opinion that I don't think the Jillson disc is one of the better indies out there, but that probably had a lot to do with over-hype and over-valuing of it. I'm actually happy with this news because whilst it's not brilliant, it's still a worthwhile disc when you're looking around the $10-$15 mark. I must admit, though, I am more interested in the other projects discussed above... the ones around the Jillson and Britny Fox releases.

One thing I do have to say on this whole downloading thing. I think it's the way of the world in 2011 to have both available - the digital and the hard copy. But the thing that concerns me about what I read above:

I read it that in many cases the digital copy will be released first and then, depending on the success of the download, it will be decided if the CD is pressed onto CD or not. I'm not sure how this will work. I can't speak for everyone, but surely people only want to pay for an album once? I would never pay to download an album which I thought I had even a 5% chance of purchasing in hard copy form one day.

So if I saw an album I wanted released as a payable download, I would ignore it until the hard copy is released. Although I may be dying inside for the actual CD, I have no interest in paying for the album twice and therefore no interest in the download... and therefore my desire for the physical CD is left unexpressed. Am I understanding it right?

I know I may just be looking at it from a money conscious angle, but reading the comments above, I think there's even less chance than me that most folk will download an album, especially if the option of a physical release is a possibility.

And don't get me wrong. As I said early in the piece, I think having the choice is the way to go. Download and CD. Either that, or Download OR CD. Having that doubt about whether it may or may not one day be released on CD probably wouldn't create too much joy.

All that said, I can also acknowledge it's easy for me to sit here saying this when it's not me putting my hard earned dollars into the actual releases. So please take this as nothing more than my 2 cents. :) Good luck with it all!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been vocal in my opinion that I don't think the Jillson disc is one of the better indies out there, but that probably had a lot to do with over-hype and over-valuing of it. I'm actually happy with this news because whilst it's not brilliant, it's still a worthwhile disc when you're looking around the $10-$15 mark. I must admit, though, I am more interested in the other projects discussed above... the ones around the Jillson and Britny Fox releases.

One thing I do have to say on this whole downloading thing. I think it's the way of the world in 2011 to have both available - the digital and the hard copy. But the thing that concerns me about what I read above:

I read it that in many cases the digital copy will be released first and then, depending on the success of the download, it will be decided if the CD is pressed onto CD or not. I'm not sure how this will work. I can't speak for everyone, but surely people only want to pay for an album once? I would never pay to download an album which I thought I had even a 5% chance of purchasing in hard copy form one day.

So if I saw an album I wanted released as a payable download, I would ignore it until the hard copy is released. Although I may be dying inside for the actual CD, I have no interest in paying for the album twice and therefore no interest in the download... and therefore my desire for the physical CD is left unexpressed. Am I understanding it right?

I know I may just be looking at it from a money conscious angle, but reading the comments above, I think there's even less chance than me that most folk will download an album, especially if the option of a physical release is a possibility.

And don't get me wrong. As I said early in the piece, I think having the choice is the way to go. Download and CD. Either that, or Download OR CD. Having that doubt about whether it may or may not one day be released on CD probably wouldn't create too much joy.

All that said, I can also acknowledge it's easy for me to sit here saying this when it's not me putting my hard earned dollars into the actual releases. So please take this as nothing more than my 2 cents. :) Good luck with it all!

I agree 100%. I won't be downloading anything even though it's nice to have the option for some people. I think our generation that listens to this kind of music is more in line to but a cd than download. Just my opinion...

We have a little delay going on for sure. It's a crap-load of work to get this many releases out in digital form. It is important to note that SOME of our new releases WILL be released as hard copy cd's but we are trying the digital form first and then see how much demand there is for a cd issue.

I do agree that most of OUR generation want a hard copy , so call it "testing the waters".

I am really overwhelmed by the amount of new releases we have lined up. Not only is there some fantastic stuff here but the investment would be huge to release them ALL on cd. But we must soldier on!

I think a few people will be disappointed ........

• My Little Pony

We are going to have a button on each new release page that will say DEMAND IT and when there is enough people who have "demanded" a cd issue, we will definitely move forward with the physical release. I hope everyone understands what we are trying to do.

Well, as I said, I have an original copy, but I really do want a remastered version with those proclaimed bonus tracks. And, yeah, I don't do digital, so I'll be hitting that button!

And, yeah, I don't do digital, so I'll be hitting that button!

Backed !

We are going to have a button on each new release page that will say DEMAND IT and when there is enough people who have "demanded" a cd issue, we will definitely move forward with the physical release. I hope everyone understands what we are trying to do.

Damn....I will be hitting the Demand button for the cd...talked to Darin of Nemesis...and he was under the impression a cd would be released...and also is a supporter in cd's over digital. :party421::drink:

Damn....I will be hitting the Demand button for the cd...talked to Darin of Nemesis...and he was under the impression a cd would be released...and also is a supporter in cd's over digital. :party421::drink:

on premium releases there will no doubt be a CD release. Nemesis, Crystal Project, Jillson, and others will all definitely have a CD release as i am confident of their success. But others are crapshoots. I pressed up 500 copies of a few titles several years ago and i still have plenty leftover -- for whatever reason - some titles just don't "take off". I believe in them, but others judt don't gravitate to them like i did. An example of this would be the Naked City and Trexel releases which i thought were really good, but have not sold very well. Not sure why, but i understand that everyone has different tastes. I just want to be sure i am investing in the right release before i sink a bunch of money into pressing CD's. I hope this helps to clear things up. We are days away from a huge launch on Retrospect!! Thanks to everyone who continues to support our artists and our vision of preserving great 80s music!

Aaron

on premium releases there will no doubt be a CD release. Nemesis, Crystal Project, Jillson, and others will all definitely have a CD release as i am confident of their success. But others are crapshoots. I pressed up 500 copies of a few titles several years ago and i still have plenty leftover -- for whatever reason - some titles just don't "take off". I believe in them, but others judt don't gravitate to them like i did. An example of this would be the Naked City and Trexel releases which i thought were really good, but have not sold very well. Not sure why, but i understand that everyone has different tastes. I just want to be sure i am investing in the right release before i sink a bunch of money into pressing CD's. I hope this helps to clear things up. We are days away from a huge launch on Retrospect!! Thanks to everyone who continues to support our artists and our vision of preserving great 80s music!

Aaron

NAKED CITY didn't sell well ?? Wow, I really didn't expect that. "Crawlin'" is a bloody AWESOME disc and EVERYONE on this board should buy a copy !!! Go for it,guys !

yep, all original artwork on the JILLSON disc.

Your not doing digipaks or mini-LP's are you? Is Retrospect going to put the songs titles on the actual CD? Is it going to be silver pressed?

Well since there were no answers to my questions, I'll hold on to my original and pass on this.

Aaron

Soundz great for me Aaron...will definitely pick up the Nemesis, Crystal Project,...and also the Americade Box set..Ironclad..Cutthroat..XLR8 and the killer Tracer Fox cd..

I can see your point..as a few titles will not sell....but the PREMIUM bands such as the ones I mentioned will DEFINITELY sell well as a cd. Rock On!!!! :party421::beerbang::drink:

Your not doing digipaks or mini-LP's are you? Is Retrospect going to put the songs titles on the actual CD? Is it going to be silver pressed?

Well since there were no answers to my questions, I'll hold on to my original and pass on this.

we are not doing digipaks or mini-lp's -- they will all be silver pressed discs. Jillson will have 7 bonus tracks including 4 off the original Jillson ep and 3 from recordings a few years after (which are killer by the way!) -- just finished remastering the Deadly Girl CD -- which i have to say, kicks ass. I see some people talking trash about this CD on the Jillson comments page but man you gotta be deaf to not like this CD. The songs have great hooks, the production is really good, the drums and guitars sound great and Tommy's (Don) vocals just kill. This is absolutely an essential CD to any melodic rock fan. I am just really glad to finally make this CD affordable so a lot more people can enjoy it. Now i don't mean to be a dick here, but I am so tired of elitist collectors having "bragging rights" because they have one of the rarest CD's in the world. Well i am determined to make ALOT of cd's NOT so rare so that your average joe can actually afford it. Dare i say that maybe one day, Retrospect CD's will be collector's items!! LOL.....peace!!

• My Little Pony

I see some people talking trash about this CD on the Jillson comments page but man you gotta be Geoff to not like this CD.

Very true.

Dare i say that maybe one day, Retrospect CD's will be collector's items!!

Well, some Retrospect releases are already being sold on eGay past the $40 mark.

we are not doing digipaks or mini-lp's -- they will all be silver pressed discs. Jillson will have 7 bonus tracks including 4 off the original Jillson ep and 3 from recordings a few years after (which are killer by the way!) -- just finished remastering the Deadly Girl CD -- which i have to say, kicks ass. I see some people talking trash about this CD on the Jillson comments page but man you gotta be deaf to not like this CD. The songs have great hooks, the production is really good, the drums and guitars sound great and Tommy's (Don) vocals just kill. This is absolutely an essential CD to any melodic rock fan. I am just really glad to finally make this CD affordable so a lot more people can enjoy it. Now i don't mean to be a dick here, but I am so tired of elitist collectors having "bragging rights" because they have one of the rarest CD's in the world. Well i am determined to make ALOT of cd's NOT so rare so that your average joe can actually afford it. Dare i say that maybe one day, Retrospect CD's will be collector's items!! LOL.....peace!!

Aaron...I fully agree...will definitely pick up the Jillson cd...gonna push the Demand button on this one. :party421::beerbang::drink:

wonder if there's motive behind any of the trash talkers of the Jillson album?

wonder if there's motive behind any of the trash talkers of the Jillson album?

well my guess is that they shelled out the $250 pricetag for the CD and was expecting a gold cd laced with diamonds - lol -- i don't know , but nobody can complain about the new pricetag for this awesome disc!!

• My Little Pony

well my guess is that they shelled out the $250 pricetag for the CD and was expecting a gold cd laced with diamonds - lol -- i don't know , but nobody can complain about the new pricetag for this awesome disc!!

Wait... so not all of them were diamond-laced gold discs? Just mine? Heh.

It'll be nice to have a remastered copy with bonus tracks, while the other one just sits on the shelf looking pretty.