CDR's versus Silver Pressed

Jeff

To answer your question, Jeff, I totally expect a silver-pressed disc when buying a CD online or at a music store, unless otherwise noted, or if its a band-released CDR.

That sucks what you had to go through with that 'record label', what bad customer service. They apparently have releases lined up for the next 2 years...or do they have CDR releases lined up for the next 2 years? :wacko:

:) Cdr releases :)...

Yea, I have a lifetime of upcomming "releases" in the pipe and they are available upon request. Allow 3-5 days for shipping and up to 1 week for "production".

Send money order or well hidden $$$$$$ to Sorry Sucker Records, were our modo is if we don't have it we'll make and oh yea screw you!

HAHAHAAHAAAA!!

As I'm guessing everyone would agree, it's best for a company to be up front regarding the product they are selling.

On the otherhand with all my experiences with Demon Doll (of which all have been good experiences)I have found that they will list if the cd is silver pressed. If it does not say silver pressed, then I'm aware that it is most likely a cdr.

ie if you read their other descriptions, they do say where albums are silver pressed, for example... http://demondollrecords.com/revolution_hazy says in the description that it is silver pressed, as do many of the others. if it doesn't say this, then i conclude that it isn't silver pressed.

the prices are a good guide aswell... silver pressed prices on this site all seem $14.99 and above. so i assume everything $11.99 and below which do not state silver press are then likely cdrs.

in my opinion, eventhough you were disappointed with this product, i'd just let it slide personally cos DD are one of very very few label who even bother to acknowledge this genre, let alone still release the stuff on disc.

We have never had any complaints in 3 years.

Thanks

Demon Doll Records[/b]

This is complete & utter bullshit. They tried to pull that crap with me regarding the Slam Alley cd (CDR). The responses you got from them are almost verbatim to the ones I got when I called them out for trying to pass off CDR's as silver pressed cd's. Anyone who hasn't had their head up their ass for the past 10 years knows the quality of silver pressed cd's isn't close to silver pressed discs. They must have a token reply they cut & paste whenever someone complains. It's too bad really, since they do have some cool stuff I wouldn't mind having. But I won't support a label that makes a living off pulling the ol' bait & switch.

that's a harsh reply from DD, Jeff and I think that people on the other end looks like the owner to me hence the attitude of not wanting to get criticized.

so if they think words of mouth isn't powerful enough to discredit them, then he/she doesn't understand the value of marketing. Actually haven't bought anything from them as I missed the Sale couple of times, but i do want to buy that Axident Avenue because i've been in contact with their guitarist, they say the band was put on hold because the singer is moving to a new country and they've ran out of CD.

Also Wicked Jester and Wikked Gypsy, are they silver pressed or CDR ?

Ya know, I am probably not the best to answer this. Both are "silver" in color, they have a bar code type pattern around the inner plastic ring and a short serial number of some sort.

Somebody with a little (or a lot) more expertise on silver color versus silver pressing's have these?

------------------

And just to be clear again, I was not really upset about the CDR thing overall...it is their reply to my email that got me all pissed off. In finding out their position on the topic, NOW I am a little more irritated about the CDR.

Anyway...

As I'm guessing everyone would agree, it's best for a company to be up front regarding the product they are selling.

On the otherhand with all my experiences with Demon Doll (of which all have been good experiences)I have found that they will list if the cd is silver pressed. If it does not say silver pressed, then I'm aware that it is most likely a cdr.

ie if you read their other descriptions, they do say where albums are silver pressed, for example... http://demondollrecords.com/revolution_hazy says in the description that it is silver pressed, as do many of the others. if it doesn't say this, then i conclude that it isn't silver pressed.

the prices are a good guide aswell... silver pressed prices on this site all seem $14.99 and above. so i assume everything $11.99 and below which do not state silver press are then likely cdrs.

in my opinion, eventhough you were disappointed with this product, i'd just let it slide personally cos DD are one of very very few label who even bother to acknowledge this genre, let alone still release the stuff on disc.

But this just proves that they know that CDR's are a shoddy product and are hiding the fact that they are CDR's by not mentioning it.

If they are telling people that other releases are silver pressed, they cannot assume that anyone buying something that doesnt mention it has browsed their catalogue of titles or is aware that this is the way they list things.

If I went to the site for the first time and went their specifically to buy that album, I am not going to necessarily view any of the rest of their stock. They know this, and this is why they dont mention its a CDR as they know the industry and they know that it will automatically put a lot of people off as most people who buy this sort of stuff are collectors as well.

simply put, it's just their corporate strategy to cut cost sharply and sell cheapy to customers for a priceful tag but still stays innocent. well maybe they realized the whole download thing is killing them slowly, so in order to survive for couple more years, this has to be done, oh well :angry2:

simply put, it's just their corporate strategy to cut cost sharply and sell cheapy to customers for a priceful tag but still stays innocent. well maybe they realized the whole download thing is killing them slowly, so in order to survive for couple more years, this has to be done, oh well :angry2:

Sorry to disagree a bit here, but last I checked $12.00 plus shipping is not very cheap for a cd, let alone a CHEAPLY made cdr...

And in response to the "disclosure" assumption, gonna have to agree with Captain on this. Just plain sneaky and obviously done deliberately to hide the fact that the product is inferior.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Sorry to disagree a bit here, but last I checked $12.00 plus shipping is not very cheap for a cd, let alone a CHEAPLY made cdr...

And in response to the "disclosure" assumption, gonna have to agree with Captain on this. Just plain sneaky and obviously done deliberately to hide the fact that the product is inferior.

hi martin, actually i agree with you in the first place, sorry for bad wording, what i mean earlier in my post is they sell a 'cheapy-made' CDR for a priceful expensive tag, confirming your opinion.

I bet their cost is around $1 and they rob us for a > 1000% margin darn :axe:

btw, another simple thing to spot a CDR is to look behind your disc and check out if there's anything with '80' number, printed separately. If it's there, then almost 100% sure it's CDR, if it's not there, then it's a small relief that it might be factory pressed, but still not 100% sure :popcorn:

Will choose #1. Replication over Duplication unless noted.

But you have to be careful these days and do research if you are a Replication 'Silver-Pressing' Collector. A lot of duplication companies are telling their record company customers that it is alright to list an album release as a 'Silver-Pressed' CD when in fact it is just 'Silver-Bottom' CDR. Dealt with many CD pressing companies that have this crazy mentality that Silver-Pressing and CDR are the same and you gain nothing if you properly Silver-Press a CD rather that just duplicate to CDR.

hi martin, actually i agree with you in the first place, sorry for bad wording, what i mean earlier in my post is they sell a 'cheapy-made' CDR for a priceful expensive tag, confirming your opinion.

I bet their cost is around $1 and they rob us for a > 1000% margin darn :axe:

btw, another simple thing to spot a CDR is to look behind your disc and check out if there's anything with '80' number, printed separately. If it's there, then almost 100% sure it's CDR, if it's not there, then it's a small relief that it might be factory pressed, but still not 100% sure :popcorn:

No worries I reread and now it makes sense to my adled brain. :)

Ok, so the reason I asked is I emailed Demon Doll last night after the Rakel Traxx discussion and I didn't think my email was that harsh. I wasn't ticked off, heck I had not checked to see that it was CDR until Geoff mentioned it, my thinking is that they should say it is CDR in the description. Anyway, here is my email to DD, maybe it comes across harsh. Rereading it I maybe could have left the last sentence off and focused more on their descriptions:

Hi, So I finally got around to checking out the Rakel Traxx CD I bought from you guys and I see it is a CDR and not a silver pressed CD? I checked to see if I missed that in your description and I don't see it. Plus I find out that Shotgun Records has a silver pressed CD of this. I guess I am trying to say I am not pleased about paying full price for a CDR when I could have gotten silver pressed somewhere else.

Here was their reply:

Hi Jeff, Sorry to hear you are not pleased with your CD. We never offered it in the description as silver pressed. We don't invest 2000 dollars in unproven bands, as I am sure you'll notice record companies are going away at an alarming rate, and we will not be one of them- because we run our label in the correct fashion and do not over extend on bands with no track record. Please feel free to order the French version of the record, we will refund your purchase for Rakel Traxx. Also when we have to refund a product that we decribed correctly and never mentioned the word silver pressed, you will no longer be able to place orders from us in the future for any product, all orders will be refunded in 24 hours.

Sorry it has to be this way, but we never offered it as silver pressed and do not need the hassle of complaints over trivial matters that without a shadow of a doubt has been proven that there is no sonic difference from replicated to duplicated. If you are a collector, by all means we encourage that, but at the same time we are looking for customers who are more concerned about the music then process of how it is delivered, eventually there will be no more labels left and you will only be able to enjoy downloads and streaming. We are more then happy to refund the Rakel Traxx purchase but in the future no more orders will be accepted.

I sorta had to laugh at this and wanted to share. I never asked for a refund. Based on that response I might boycott them anyway, especially if they refuse to at least list that it is a CDR. How hard is it to do that for your customers?

Dude that's like a Phil Hendrie joke right there!(all knowing who that is)Who the fuck are these jerk offs? I say it's time for a flame campaign? anyone down to go meet up somewhere else and we can discuss a little fun with these jack offs that treat people like their fucking retards? duh we never claimed it was silver pressed, well we will just have to order a bunch of Cd's and then send them back bitching that they aren't silver pressed, come on you guys, if we all do it, and have people we know do it, then what will they say when there's like a thousand of these fuckers ordered and returned because there not silver pressed? I'm down, i will spend the money, and I will do it with a big shit eating grin on my ugly Irish face, any one down to do the pound with me?

Ok, so the reason I asked is I emailed Demon Doll last night after the Rakel Traxx discussion and I didn't think my email was that harsh. I wasn't ticked off, heck I had not checked to see that it was CDR until Geoff mentioned it, my thinking is that they should say it is CDR in the description. Anyway, here is my email to DD, maybe it comes across harsh. Rereading it I maybe could have left the last sentence off and focused more on their descriptions:

Hi, So I finally got around to checking out the Rakel Traxx CD I bought from you guys and I see it is a CDR and not a silver pressed CD? I checked to see if I missed that in your description and I don't see it. Plus I find out that Shotgun Records has a silver pressed CD of this. I guess I am trying to say I am not pleased about paying full price for a CDR when I could have gotten silver pressed somewhere else.

Here was their reply:

Hi Jeff, Sorry to hear you are not pleased with your CD. We never offered it in the description as silver pressed. We don't invest 2000 dollars in unproven bands, as I am sure you'll notice record companies are going away at an alarming rate, and we will not be one of them- because we run our label in the correct fashion and do not over extend on bands with no track record. Please feel free to order the French version of the record, we will refund your purchase for Rakel Traxx. Also when we have to refund a product that we decribed correctly and never mentioned the word silver pressed, you will no longer be able to place orders from us in the future for any product, all orders will be refunded in 24 hours.

Sorry it has to be this way, but we never offered it as silver pressed and do not need the hassle of complaints over trivial matters that without a shadow of a doubt has been proven that there is no sonic difference from replicated to duplicated. If you are a collector, by all means we encourage that, but at the same time we are looking for customers who are more concerned about the music then process of how it is delivered, eventually there will be no more labels left and you will only be able to enjoy downloads and streaming. We are more then happy to refund the Rakel Traxx purchase but in the future no more orders will be accepted.

I sorta had to laugh at this and wanted to share. I never asked for a refund. Based on that response I might boycott them anyway, especially if they refuse to at least list that it is a CDR. How hard is it to do that for your customers?

Dude that's like a Phil Hendrie joke right there!(all knowing who that is)Who the fuck are these jerk offs? I say it's time for a flame campaign? anyone down to go meet up somewhere else and we can discuss a little fun with these jack offs that treat people like their fucking retards? duh we never claimed it was silver pressed, well we will just have to order a bunch of Cd's and then send them back bitching that they aren't silver pressed, come on you guys, if we all do it, and have people we know do it, then what will they say when there's like a thousand of these fuckers ordered and returned because there not silver pressed? I'm down, i will spend the money, and I will do it with a big shit eating grin on my ugly Irish face, any one down to do the pound with me?

I believeI mentioned this earlier, but I am in like Flynn as the kid's say!