Edguy - Age of the Joker (2011)

JC_AOR

My first impression, this is a good album, probably great after multiple spins, definitely much better than Tinnitus but looks like struggling to go over Rocket Ride. More detail in the 'First Impression' thread :popcorn:

My first impression, this is a good album, probably great after multiple spins, definitely much better than Tinnitus but looks like struggling to go over Rocket Ride. More detail in the 'First Impression' thread :popcorn:

Excellent album.....definitely back to the 'Rocketride' vibe. Much much better than TS.

• 1 month later...

Fuck Edguy, I just wasted my hard earned money on this garbage, make notice, on my favorite band listing, there is now a band gone from it! wonder who it is?? enjoy Hellfire Club as the pinnacle album from these guys, enjoy Rocket Ride as the crossover Power\Metal album that it is, and im going to forget these guys exist, they don't have "IT" anymore, i dont know what IT is, but none of the songs on either of the last garbage albums have IT, no Mysteria, no The Asylum, not even a funny song like Trinidad, sounds like they are trying way to hard to make a killer album, instead of just naturally not giving a fuck, and making a killer album, or all of his good ideas are being wasted on Avantasia which i dont buy, i dont know, maybe after a couple spins this new album will get me, but Hellfire Club got me from the opening riff, and never let go to the last echo, Rocket Ride got me after I made it through the first 2 songs, but the majority of Rocket Ride was better then the minority, TS just fucking blew from start to finish, this album just doesnt have the riffs, the fire, the power, im sorry, I expect alot from a band that put out Hellfire Club, im done bitching, sorry, just very very excited for this, and it let me down!

After quite a few spins "Age of the Joker" has easily become my favourite Edguy album so far! That being said, I haven't been into Edguy pre-Rocket Ride (I don't like Power Metal) and I enjoy their new classic-rock vibe a lot.

Plus, "Fire on the Downline" is a perfect 80's-style AOR-song to my ears!

After quite a few spins "Age of the Joker" has easily become my favourite Edguy album so far! That being said, I haven't been into Edguy pre-Rocket Ride (I don't like Power Metal) and I enjoy their new classic-rock vibe a lot.

Plus, "Fire on the Downline" is a perfect 80's-style AOR-song to my ears!

I have to believe if you like power metal or not, if you spin Hellfire, your ears are going to get a hard on and shoot ear load all over your speakers, its really when they peaked out power metal, and started to add melodic and hard rock elements, and completetly dumped progressive sounds of all kind, I have a feeling if you like power metal or not, you would like Hellfire, musically it destroys any and everything they have done, and Tobias is at his best, go ahead bro, give it a try, or miss out like i did so many years, thinking Hellfire was to heavy or to progressive for me, so I ignored it, who wouldnt after the dreadful Opera shit, and Tears, if you listen to it and dont like it bro, I will come on here and openly say I am a poser and i fake liking heavy metal, and im really into synth pop! ok bro deal? listen to Mysteria, and Lavatory Love Machine, and finally Navigator, listen to those 3 songs, get back on here and tell me you could only listen to those 3, it wont happen, you'll have listened to the entire disc! i know it. try me out, if im wrong im wrong, but i got a good hunch im far from wrong!

Fuck Edguy, I just wasted my hard earned money on this garbage, make notice, on my favorite band listing, there is now a band gone from it! wonder who it is?? enjoy Hellfire Club as the pinnacle album from these guys, enjoy Rocket Ride as the crossover Power\Metal album that it is, and im going to forget these guys exist, they don't have "IT" anymore, i dont know what IT is, but none of the songs on either of the last garbage albums have IT, no Mysteria, no The Asylum, not even a funny song like Trinidad, sounds like they are trying way to hard to make a killer album, instead of just naturally not giving a fuck, and making a killer album, or all of his good ideas are being wasted on Avantasia which i dont buy, i dont know, maybe after a couple spins this new album will get me, but Hellfire Club got me from the opening riff, and never let go to the last echo, Rocket Ride got me after I made it through the first 2 songs, but the majority of Rocket Ride was better then the minority, TS just fucking blew from start to finish, this album just doesnt have the riffs, the fire, the power, im sorry, I expect alot from a band that put out Hellfire Club, im done bitching, sorry, just very very excited for this, and it let me down!

I tend to agree with you mate. It miles away from Rocket ride which is fantastic IMO

I tend to agree with you mate. It miles away from Rocket ride which is fantastic IMO

Mmm, aside from a filler or two, I though it was pretty close to Rocketride?

• 1 month later...

Ive spun AOTJ now a few times... and im really not sure what direction they are trying to go on this release. I love this band, including Tinnitus Sanctus, which although a step backward was still showing some great ideas. But AOTJ? umm... Its not as heavy as some... its not as catchy as some... it sounds a bit like Mandrake or older.... or even Avantasia lite. Is it just me or are there a lot less backing vocals, and missing the big hooks. Overall from a band i thought would be the future of metal... nothing special on this so far.

And also... Robin Hood? A single?! How? Why?

Sorry Toby.:(

I still love a few songs on this album, but it's definitely patchy. I think the highlight of the album for me is the random outro on one of the album highlights 'Two out of seven' ; the sneaky rhyme of 'What the f*ck / suck my cock.' Awesome rhyme. :lol:

Anyway, there is a lot of shit on here but 'Nobody's Hero,' 'Two out of Seven,' 'Fire on the Downhill' and 'Every Night Without You' are definitely 4 classics in the Edguy discography if you ask me.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I hated the Robin Hood tune and almost bought this disc when I saw it in a store recently but for some reason I passed. The last one was such a let down and I think I prefer Avantasia to Edguy but maybe I'd like the older Edguy more.

I hated the Robin Hood tune and almost bought this disc when I saw it in a store recently but for some reason I passed. The last one was such a let down and I think I prefer Avantasia to Edguy but maybe I'd like the older Edguy more.

Robin Hood could possibly be the worst Edguy track yet.... but the rest is solid. Give it a go.

I don't think Robin Hood track is bad at all, in fact it's quite good to me but it's lengthy. There are Maiden traces in that song, so if you like Maiden, it's hard to hate that song overall.

If you can buy the 2CD edition, they have a shorter single version of that song on cd #2 and the bonuses are also nice, but despite the whole Robin Hood dispute, there are several other big numbers to enjoy such as 'Nobody's Hero', 'Breathe', 'Two Out of Seven', 'The Arcane Guild', 'Fire On The Downline', and 'Every Night Without You'.

The style falls between 'Hellfire' and 'Rocket', and I think this one is as strong as 'Rocket', only I prefer this a bit more.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think Robin Hood track is bad at all, in fact it's quite good to me but it's lengthy.

Sorry mate, the other doods are right. Completely disgracefully bad song. :(

I don't think Robin Hood track is bad at all, in fact it's quite good to me but it's lengthy.

Well to me, it's a good song but lengthy, though I don't have an issue with long-duration song, I think they over-stretched this song too much as i don't see real added value in the interlude (acrobatic solos, weird passages, unusual instrumental, etc) and unimportant but the composition is just fine and acceptable.

One thing I must admit, they have better songs inside and to pick this one as a leading single is a sort of mistake.

and I also see that you have no interest in Power/Heavy metal, so it's hard to discuss this one :)

Well to me, it's a good song but lengthy, though I don't have an issue with long-duration song, I think they over-stretched this song too much as i don't see real added value in the interlude (acrobatic solos, weird passages, unusual instrumental, etc) and unimportant but the composition is just fine and acceptable.

One thing I must admit, they have better songs inside and to pick this one as a leading single is a sort of mistake.

and I also see that you have no interest in Power/Heavy metal, so it's hard to discuss this one :)

The subject matter of the song is pretty crap, but there's no denying that at about 5 mins it kicks into another gear and is Edguy at their awesome best.

Great album by the way and bit of a recovery for the band IMO.