The MR.com 100% club & perfect ratings in general

whiplash1972

These were my scores for those perfect albums...

Mecca - S/T (70%)

Danger Danger-Cockroach (96%)

Danger Danger- The Return of the Great Gildersleeves (60%)

Harem Scarem- Higher (95%)

Harem Scarem- Weight of the World (85%)

TNT- My Religion (80%)

Toto- Falling in Between (70%)

W.E.T. - S/T (85%)

Treat - Coup De Grace (90%)

Mr. Big - What If... (40%)

Journey - Eclipse (80%)

Your scores for D2 - Gildersleeves and TNT were too low, otherwise I agree with the rest.

I was pleased to see someone else who wasn't hugely impressed with Gildersleeves, it didn't do a lot for me.

However, after reading this thread I think I need to get (download) 'Cockroach'...

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, after reading this thread I think I need to get (download) 'Cockroach'...

WHAT, you don't have Cockroach yet??? you must own this.

i got this on CDR only and desperate to buy but still not finding any decent price :doh:

WHAT, you don't have Cockroach yet??? you must own this.

i got this on CDR only and desperate to buy but still not finding any decent price :doh:

Says its still available?

http://www.dangerdanger.com/uscart.html

wow thanks for that J,

i remember checking their website and it's out of stock. Luckily I already have FTHW and Dawn. OK will order it soon :party421:

Yeah, I mean I keep seeing the same people selling them over and over on Ebay, one of which I bought from and it is legit. they may just be ordering them off the website?

Anyway, $26.99 is reasonable for a 2 cd set sealed new. I doubt you will listen to anything else for 6 months when you get this cd :)

I have to say that I wasnt as blown away by this disc as others.

Yeah, its a great album and was nice finally hearing the Ted versions, but due to quite a few of these songs appearing on FTHW and Gildersleeves it was hard to hear this album as anything other than a compilation of sorts.

Yes, I know they were re-records on the other albums, but being that I played those albums to death when they came out, this one only ended up with a few spins, and even the tracks that were new to me werent enough to keep me playing it on a regular basis.

I have to say that I wasnt as blown away by this disc as others.

Yeah, its a great album and was nice finally hearing the Ted versions, but due to quite a few of these songs appearing on FTHW and Gildersleeves it was hard to hear this album as anything other than a compilation of sorts.

Yes, I know they were re-records on the other albums, but being that I played those albums to death when they came out, this one only ended up with a few spins, and even the tracks that were new to me werent enough to keep me playing it on a regular basis.

I understand what you mean, and I actually feel that way about a couple of the songs today. But one big difference for me is I prefer D2 w/ Ted and those songs were not re-recorded. Not to mention some of my favorite songs never got re-recorded anyway such as Good Time, Walk It Like You Talk It (not the awful faster version) & Don't Break My Heart Again.

It's also a bonus that this is the version that should have been released in 92-93. :headbanger:

See I think thats another thing about Cockroach, I prefer the re-recorded versions than the versions here (although is some case the difference is minimal).

Its more than likely the case of when you become used to a track sounding a certain way, any other way, even if its the original way, can often sound not as good.

I actually prefer the faster version of Walk it, but that said, it's not that great a song for me either way. Its not a bad song, but its certainly not one I would put into a D2 playlist of faves.

I do think that had it been released back in 92/93 with either vocalist that I would have enjoyed it more, it just became diluted by releasing it so late for me.

I actually prefer the faster version of Walk it, but that said, it's not that great a song for me either way. Its not a bad song, but its certainly not one I would put into a D2 playlist of faves.

Really? Its in my top five D2 songs easily, the original that is.

These were my scores for those perfect albums...

Mecca - S/T (70%)

Danger Danger-Cockroach (96%)

Danger Danger- The Return of the Great Gildersleeves (60%)

Harem Scarem- Higher (95%)

Harem Scarem- Weight of the World (85%)

TNT- My Religion (80%)

Toto- Falling in Between (70%)

W.E.T. - S/T (85%)

Treat - Coup De Grace (90%)

Mr. Big - What If... (40%)

Journey - Eclipse (80%)

I dont know how any cd could get 100%?? If you look at an average cd and there are 10 tracks.. that means every track needs to be 10/10! If theres even 1 filler, but the rest is perfection, surely that drops it to at best 90%..? (wow, i hope everyone is impressed with my maths!)

100% means every single song is total perfection and could never be bettered. But i havnt heard an album yet like that where the entire album, every second, is perfect. When i think of a perfect album, Bad English st comes to mind.. but even then there are one or two songs which just dont quite hit the mark as the rest.. so automatically it cant reach 100%. When i think about a good/great album i usually think it starts in 70s% range. However Andrew starts at about 85-90% range.. so he hasnt got much room to play with.

But at the end of the day....

who cares.

I guess reviews are subjective and my biggest issue with the MR.com reviews is that they are all so high. Most CDs are over 80%. For me, maybe call me a traditionalist but anything over 80% is a must have CD. Anything over 90% is best in class or one of the few highlights of the year. 100%.... well I don't know if I have one in my collection, maybe Whitesnake 1987 or Dokken's Back for the Attack or Savatage's Hall of the Mountain King.... that's because on these CDs I love every song, love the guitars, the vibe, the vocals etc.... regardless 100% is a very special album, maybe only a few in a decade if that.

But we are all different and what we hear, or want to hear, or what we are looking for is completely unique. Like I said though the review scores are generally waaaaaay too high on the site.

Interesting discussion and appreciate people's posts. For the most part - I agree. Scores are high. But to explain a little - I generally only have so much time in a week/month to review certain titles, so I concentrate on the "name" titles and the major releases of each month. So in theory, the best titles are the ones most often reviewed.

If I included all the indie's and some of the lesser known titles (will try and do so with the new site design), then scores would be far more diverse and all over the place.

And the thing I did when I started out was start relatively high....I never thought I'd still be doing this 15 years down the track, so over time averages have moved higher as quality generally increases. My own fault there - but that's why I do all reviews myself, to at least retain consistency and allow folks to know what my style and rating are - generally speaking.

BUT - things will be changing when the new site design kicks in.

Cheers,

Andrew.

I guess reviews are subjective and my biggest issue with the MR.com reviews is that they are all so high. Most CDs are over 80%. For me, maybe call me a traditionalist but anything over 80% is a must have CD. Anything over 90% is best in class or one of the few highlights of the year. 100%.... well I don't know if I have one in my collection, maybe Whitesnake 1987 or Dokken's Back for the Attack or Savatage's Hall of the Mountain King.... that's because on these CDs I love every song, love the guitars, the vibe, the vocals etc.... regardless 100% is a very special album, maybe only a few in a decade if that.

But we are all different and what we hear, or want to hear, or what we are looking for is completely unique. Like I said though the review scores are generally waaaaaay too high on the site.

Interesting discussion and appreciate people's posts. For the most part - I agree. Scores are high. But to explain a little - I generally only have so much time in a week/month to review certain titles, so I concentrate on the "name" titles and the major releases of each month. So in theory, the best titles are the ones most often reviewed.

If I included all the indie's and some of the lesser known titles (will try and do so with the new site design), then scores would be far more diverse and all over the place.

And the thing I did when I started out was start relatively high....I never thought I'd still be doing this 15 years down the track, so over time averages have moved higher as quality generally increases. My own fault there - but that's why I do all reviews myself, to at least retain consistency and allow folks to know what my style and rating are - generally speaking.

BUT - things will be changing when the new site design kicks in.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Keep up the good work.

I'm curious to see what the new FarCry will get ratings wise or if they'll even review this one since they didn't review the debut. The new FarCry has been getting amazing reviews on all the sites out there so I'm looking forward to reading what Andrew says about it.

I'm curious to see what the new FarCry will get ratings wise or if they'll even review this one since they didn't review the debut. The new FarCry has been getting amazing reviews on all the sites out there so I'm looking forward to reading what Andrew says about it.

Im curious as well. :-) A copy of the new disk was sent out to him the other day. So it will take a week im guessing to get down under.

Thanks for the kind words on the new cd. Everyone involved did a great job. We are all very proud of the final results.

For the record, the first album, "High Gear" was also sent to Andrew.

John

Doods, I'm 99% sure the debut Farcry did get reviewed on Melodicrock.com. Let me do some digging if I get a spare moment. I think it got somewhere in the mid-80's? 86% or something?

Doods, I'm 99% sure the debut Farcry did get reviewed on Melodicrock.com. Let me do some digging if I get a spare moment. I think it got somewhere in the mid-80's? 86% or something?

looks like andrew missed that, i can't find any High Gear on his archives :popcorn:

Didnt Andrew give Tak Matsumoto Group a 100% too?

from 2005-2006 archives,

several that almost made it to 100% (which is 'only' 99%) are :

HAREM SCAREM - Overload

MASTERPLAN - Aeronautics

TAK MATSUMOTO GROUP - TMG1

the rest are :

ADRIANGALE - Crunch (98%)

SLAMER - Nowhere Land (97%)

from 2005-2006 archives,

several that almost made it to 100% (which is 'only' 99%) are :

HAREM SCAREM - Overload

MASTERPLAN - Aeronautics

Those two are stunning albums IMHO...

Just to stick my oar in:

I think reviewing new albums is bound to produce more 100% ratings than going through your entire collection and picking out the very best.

For most reviews I read, the ratings are out of 10. There has to be a way to show that an album really stands out from its peers, i.e. other new releases. For me, the comparison with magazine or website album reviews is with other current albums, so a few 10/10 reviews is fair and reasonable. When you go through a large collection of albums covering a spectrum of (for example) 30 years, the comparison is completely different. I think you need 10/10 reviews to show that the reviewer thinks the album is a very special one, which is hopefully supported by his or her comments.

Im curious as well. :-) A copy of the new disk was sent out to him the other day. So it will take a week im guessing to get down under.

Thanks for the kind words on the new cd. Everyone involved did a great job. We are all very proud of the final results.

For the record, the first album, "High Gear" was also sent to Andrew.

John

I know it was and I was waiting to see his take on but after months I gave up.

Of course I thought the Rockarma would of recieved better scores from him when it came out but it seemed to get average scores but I felt it deserved much better.