Warrant - Rockaholic

whiplash1972

I have given it 2 full spins and I'm pretty much bored with it. There are a few decent moments, but they are far and few between

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good disc! I can't understand all the animosity towards it. So what that Jani Lane isn't in it? Robert Mason's a great singer and the whole CD contains great rock songs.

your overly positive attitude is what got you in trouble in the first place,the wedggies you endured are for that reason.....this aint sesame street friend...........

they probably haven't paid attention to the music scene since 1991, they don't even know that Jani Lane's not in the band anymore, and they likely won't even care, especially after they've spent all day loading up on BBQ and beer, as long as they can still hear "Heaven" and "Cherry Pie."

When I saw them at Sturgis the girls in front of us that were about my age thought Robert Mason WAS Jani Lane. I didn't even waste the air to correct them. <_<

Naturally. There was a guy with blonde hair up there singing "Cherry Pie," that's all they needed to know. Nuff said.

Very good disc! I can't understand all the animosity towards it. So what that Jani Lane isn't in it? Robert Mason's a great singer and the whole CD contains great rock songs.

your overly positive attitude is what got you in trouble in the first place,the wedggies you endured are for that reason.....this aint sesame street friend...........

Yes and this isn't the lunatic asylum where you belong.

Hatred is the wrong word. Most of the comments here do not suggest anyone hates it, but what the do suggest is disappointment.

Being that its disappointment rather than hatred, I dont think it will become an underrated gem, just as Born again isnt.

I can see this being an album, like Born again, that people will give more than one listen to to try and see if it gets any better, but I dont think many people will ever see it as being a top album.

Hatred is the wrong word. Most of the comments here do not suggest anyone hates it, but what the do suggest is disappointment.

Being that its disappointment rather than hatred, I dont think it will become an underrated gem, just as Born again isnt.

I can see this being an album, like Born again, that people will give more than one listen to to try and see if it gets any better, but I dont think many people will ever see it as being a top album.

Ive only listened to it once so far and yes I was a little disappointed in it.

But I did hear some potential which means it might get better with repeat spins.........unlike some other garbage ive heard this year like Faithealer, Bonfire, Coldspell etc........

But I did hear some potential which means it might get better with repeat spins.........unlike some other garbage ive heard this year like Faithealer, Bonfire, Coldspell etc........

BOOOOO.... I liked the Coldspell CD... but I agree about the Bonfire CD. HUGE disappointment for me.

Video for "Life's a Song"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V8uSouJrRY&playnext=1&list=PLFFAC6C1E21931CB8

Note that even though there are tons old band photos and vintage film clips in this video, there's no images whatsoever of Jani Lane? Ouch. :blink:

Note that even though there are tons old band photos and vintage film clips in this video, there's no images whatsoever of Jani Lane? Ouch. :blink:

Thats because Jani wasnt part of the reason they had any success.........lol!!!!!!!!!1

serious these guys r losers..........wow

I have no life, I know, but isn't it Jani bent down pointing his finger at the crowd at 1:28 into the video? Maybe it's Mason, I really don't know.

Cool song, but wihtout Jani writing and singing I'm not really interested.

That is pretty shitty,but let me set a scene.You're making a photo album with the wife and kids, do you put photos of you with old girlfriends in it?

I have no life, I know, but isn't it Jani bent down pointing his finger at the crowd at 1:28 into the video? Maybe it's Mason, I really don't know.

Cool song, but wihtout Jani writing and singing I'm not really interested.

99% sure it's Mason.

BOOOOO.... I liked the Coldspell CD... but I agree about the Bonfire CD. HUGE disappointment for me.

Oh that Coldpsell is just soooo monotonous and boring (except for Time & Seven Wonders of course which are both great)

That is pretty shitty,but let me set a scene.You're making a photo album with the wife and kids, do you put photos of you with old girlfriends in it?

Really not the same thing is it. A previous girlfriend isnt a part of your family, but the singer who sang with a band for the bulk of their career, and wrote the bulk of their songs is certainly part of the family.

Jani is more like a husband or wife in this equation, and if it involves kids, how can you exclude either of them from a family album?

Well, we'll say ex-wife then. And it seems that Jani Lane is no longer part of "THE FAMILY' anymore.

Yes and this isn't the lunatic asylum where you belong.

hey thats no way to treat a friend.......friend

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished my first spin through. If I don't do the obvious and compare it to other Warrant releases and just judge it on it's own it's not a bad album with some really good tunes and Robert sounds great as always. There is also some blatant filler IMO such as "What Love Can Do", "Sunshine"(nice chorus but bad verses IMO) and the very average "Lifes a Song"(I thought I liked it at first when I saw the video but not so much now as it's not that great). I do really like the first five tunes with "Snake" and "Sex Aint Love" being my favs and "Dusty's Revenge", "Innocence Gone" and "Home" being very good as well. "Found Forever" is a great ballad and "Tears in the City" is just okay. "Show Must Gone", "Cocaine Freight Train" and "The Last Straw" are all upbeat rocking songs. And last but not least I kind of dig "Candy Man", sure it don't sound like Warrant but it has a nice AC/DC meets Aerosmith sleazey Big Cock type vibe which fits Robert's voice best. All in all not a bad album but the worst thing is the dreadful production. I'm shocked that someone like Keith Olson(Lynch Mob!) produced this as it sounds like good demos with no bass sound at all. I am one of those weird people that actually found the previous release 'Born Again' to be a damn good rock album with some great tunes such as "Hell CA." and "Bourbon County Line" and while I like most of this new disc I don't feel there are any songs on the level of the great songs that were on the 'Born Again' release.

I just finished my first spin through. If I don't do the obvious and compare it to other Warrant releases and just judge it on it's own it's not a bad album with some really good tunes and Robert sounds great as always. There is also some blatant filler IMO such as "What Love Can Do", "Sunshine"(nice chorus but bad verses IMO) and the very average "Lifes a Song"(I thought I liked it at first when I saw the video but not so much now as it's not that great). I do really like the first five tunes with "Snake" and "Sex Aint Love" being my favs and "Dusty's Revenge", "Innocence Gone" and "Home" being very good as well. "Found Forever" is a great ballad and "Tears in the City" is just okay. "Show Must Gone", "Cocaine Freight Train" and "The Last Straw" are all upbeat rocking songs. And last but not least I kind of dig "Candy Man", sure it don't sound like Warrant but it has a nice AC/DC meets Aerosmith sleazey Big Cock type vibe which fits Robert's voice best. All in all not a bad album but the worst thing is the dreadful production. I'm shocked that someone like Keith Olson(Lynch Mob!) produced this as it sounds like good demos with no bass sound at all. I am one of those weird people that actually found the previous release 'Born Again' to be a damn good rock album with some great tunes such as "Hell CA." and "Bourbon County Line" and while I like most of this new disc I don't feel there are any songs on the level of the great songs that were on the 'Born Again' release.

Not so weird buddy, I dig the St. James Warrant album too. I didn't at first because it wasn't Warrant sounding but over time I actually love that cd. I'm pretty stoked about getting the new BNB too...I was skeptical at first but everything I'm hearing from people sounds positive.

Well, I got both the Warrant and the Black n Blue cd in the mail today and one word comes to mind...disappointment.

The Warrant is just very bland. That's the only word I can use to describe it. It's just ok...I tell you who could have helped the cause and failed miserably is Joey Allen. What happened to the guy who played on Cherry Pie & Dog Eat Dog. Somebody needs to help him find his nuts!

The Black N Blue is just bad. Just plain bad...I was expecting more. Sounds like a bunch of b-sides that were on Nasty Nasty or In Heat. I will stick to their other four studio albums and Freight Train jane. Awful production too...Warrant was not good, but this is worse.

Can I just ask...do these guys actually listen to what they are about to release? Not just the song quality but also the sound. Are they possibly drunk? I don't know...what a waste of $30...

Well, I got both the Warrant and the Black n Blue cd in the mail today and one word comes to mind...disappointment.

The Warrant is just very bland. That's the only word I can use to describe it. It's just ok...I tell you who could have helped the cause and failed miserably is Joey Allen. What happened to the guy who played on Cherry Pie & Dog Eat Dog. Somebody needs to help him find his nuts!

The Black N Blue is just bad. Just plain bad...I was expecting more. Sounds like a bunch of b-sides that were on Nasty Nasty or In Heat. I will stick to their other four studio albums and Freight Train jane. Awful production too...Warrant was not good, but this is worse.

Can I just ask...do these guys actually listen to what they are about to release? Not just the song quality but also the sound. Are they possibly drunk? I don't know...what a waste of $30...

wondeing if you're tad harsh on harsh as you may not have the Japanese pressing with the 2 bonus traxx. I rate the bnb as good... warrant's too. I do feel witout jani warrant pretty much not gonna be great, kinda like the warrant demos pre jani...

wondeing if you're tad harsh on harsh as you may not have the Japanese pressing with the 2 bonus traxx. I rate the bnb as good... warrant's too. I do feel witout jani warrant pretty much not gonna be great, kinda like the warrant demos pre jani...

I'm sure I'm being harsh but I'm very disappointed. The Japanese pressing is not going to save this unless it's completely different songs and production. Anyway, I'm glad you like them but I just don't see it for my tastes.