Black N Blue Hell Yeah!

chocularok

As far as songwriting goes...

I remember reading an interview with Jon Bon Jovi sometime back (maybe a decade ago, actually) and he was asked this same question almost word-for-word regarding their latest release versus Slippery When Wet.

His response was something along the line of "We were 22 years old when we wrote that album. It's a different world and we're different people now. We couldn't write that album again no matter how hard we tried."

At the time I was pissed, thought of him as a liar, etc., etc., etc. But the more I think about it, the more I think it's true. Obviously those words stuck with me because 10 years later I still remember the interview, and think of it EVERY SINGLE TIME I'm disappointed with a new album from one of my favorite bands of yesteryear.

Yeah, I think Jon is right... it's simply not the same anymore.

But then there are bands from exactly the same era producing stuff that might be lyrically more mature and might have an updated sound, but sounds as good as anything from back in the day (the last Winger and Ratt spring to mind).

I can fully understand that bands cant write the same teen love/rock n roll lyrics that they did when they were close to that age, but age doesnt stop a band writing good songs.

Bon Jovi, might annoy people with their style change, but Jon still knows how to write good lyrics, some bands just dont seem to have that.

Exactly!

What about Tesla, Motley Crue, Danger Danger? All putting out quality releases. Hell, not even just quality. I can put up an arguement with anyone that Tesla's last record is as good as anything else they have released. Different, yes...but awesome! D2 is the same...Revolve was maybe the best cd that came out that year and it can be argued that it's one of the best releases.

That's my issue with this album from BNB. How many years was it written over? You would think they might have recorded something half way memorable. For the people on here that are saying it's a "good" release, do you think you will actually be listening to this cd a year from now?

No, you won't.

I agree with all of those bands Jarred. The last Motley was awesome and the last two Tesla's have been great and IMO they've been able to mix the new with the old as good as anyone. The D2 is amazing. And you're prob right about not playing the BNB a year from now and maybe not a month from now. It's not horrible but it's no memorable. I will say that I've pulled a 180 on the new Warrant and now I love it. Sure it don't sound exactly like Warrant and there's maybe 2-3 fillers but damn if there's not at least 6-7 songs I'd call great and Mason sounds awesome and when it comes down to it ROCKS, and that's all I can ask for.

Yeah, I'll chime in on this too.

There are plenty of bands that have lasted through decades worth of music, and consequently countless changes in the world around them. I don't think that's any excuse at all for being unable to still write a good song. No one realistically wants a carbon copy of a band's previous classic album, but bands like those mentioned above prove there is no reason great albums can not still be recorded.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic