Soundwave 2011

Geoff

SOUNDWAVE 2011

This year saw a new (100% better) venue in use, which really added to the joy of the day. Sure my legs and lower back are destroyed and will be for a day or two, and my nut chaffing sure leaves a bit to be desired… but aside from that, what an awesome day. This is how it unfolded for me:

EVERY AVENUE ; the lead singer himself admitted they were a little rusty from the night before and only a couple of hours of sleep. I still enjoyed their set and they played a good set list, but I admit they did look a tad rusty. I didn’t mind, though, as I’d written off seeing these guys at all. But due to Saxon pulling out the timetable was re-shuffled again which meant I got to see these guys. Only issue was my original problem, that I missed The Starting Line due to being on at the same time as Taking Dawn. Anyway, Every Avenue were a good opener, but admittedly a little sluggish.

TAKING DAWN ; it may be extreme to call the 2nd band of the day the best of the day, but I’d have to call it. This was good because they were on early and there was only a tiny crowd for these guys, so I got up nice and close and was beaten around the face by their energy. Great set list, with the only massive exclusion being ‘Never enough.’ And just like ‘The Chain’ ruins the end of the CD, they played that as the last song in their set and it was again a real mood killer, imo. Just an awful song no matter how you slice it, and after such a heavy, intense set it was sooo out of place. Either way, excluding that from their set they were truly awesome. So energetic and I don’t think I saw a crowd grow as quick all day as it did when these guys were on. Credit to them, they started with a few onlookers and ended with a pretty massive crowd. The lead singer especially seems very passionate about what they’re doing.

THE ATARIS ; I didn’t actually know any of the songs they played and the band themselves were pretty bland and lifeless, but the songs for what they were were actually pretty good. I haven’t got anything but their last CD from these guys, but seeing this I’d be interested to hear some other stuff. I thought it was all punk prior to the last CD.

SEVENDUST ; man can these guys pull a crowd… shame they’ve got nothing good to play in front of them! Lol. Heavy as all f*ck, but not an ounce of substance, imo. The songs just weren’t there, minus a decent riff or two. I didn’t stay long as these guys were just someone I saw between bands, but I know I didn’t miss anything. Also verified I will never bother with an album from these guys ever again.

WE THE KINGS ; back to another lighter group, these guys were great. Very personable frontman(even if a little “cutesy” at times) and actually a surprisingly tight, well presented band. Another good set list, these guys were very good too.

BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE ; and then back to something a little heavier. Yeah, these guys were pretty awesome. I honestly don’t know how much longer frontman Matt Tuck is going to keep doing this. He’s already had problems with his vocal chords and I noticed he only did the singing and the bass player did all the screams. Even moreso, they got a fella from a band that was on earlier, Rise to Remain, to sing lead vocals on two of the songs mid-set. Thankfully that guy was pretty good and all the songs sounded awesome. Good representation from ‘Fever’ with a couple of oldies thrown in too, rounding up the set with the monster ‘Tears don’t fall.’ Razor sharp set.

STONE SOUR ; missed their first song as it seemed a good time for a beer, but it was some heavy number off the 2nd album, I think. Didn’t know it by sound. After that, though, they delved into ‘Audio secrecy’ at length and it was very enjoyable. For a band on the main stage where everyone just wanted something heavy, these guys made some brave song choices, with the more melodic / balladic numbers from the CD. I really enjoyed it. Aside from the band looking like a group of guys that work in a hardware store and drink beer in a pub on the weekend watching footy, they were pretty good. I was actually disappointed I had to leave their set 10mins early to see Anberlin.

ANBERLIN ; I’m very curious to know what was up with the lead singer, as it was a very non-social set. As always, the band were awesome and the songs sounded absolutely massive. I was hoping for a few more from the new album, but they played a lot of classics and only maybe 2-3 off the new CD. That’s still fine with me, although it was a pretty similar setlist to last time I saw them. They’ve got a few anthems in there that work so amazing live, though. But yeah, there’s a fine line between clowns that babble on all set and annoy you and guys like Anberlin were this day. They’d play their song then literally all turn around and have a sip of water or towel off with their backs to the crowd, then turn around and start the next song. No interaction at all aside from an intro after the first song and a few parting words before the last song. It was like an awkward silence each time between songs. As soon as the last song was done the lead singer was off and gone too. Not sure what was up, but he didn’t appear to be a happy chappy. Always solid as heck, though.

THE ROCKET SUMMER ; at this point I was really seeking some food so I didn’t pay too much attention to this set. I saw him play a couple of songs off the new CD which were nice. But he totally lost me (and other crowd members) when he decided to make his own song then and there. So here you have this dude, with a 40min set, first time ever in Australia, and he’s hopping around the stage from instrument to instrument, making a sample tune of each instrument that he keeps playing on repeat to create this new track. A total toss, just showing the crowd he’s capable on all instruments. But so pointless and boring. Not they way to spend your first set in Australia, imo. He was doing another pretty cool tune off his latest CD as I left too. Would have been a decent set without the new song. Don’t get me wrong, he was a nice chap, just in his own world and apparently oblivious to what people came to see.

SLASH ; wasn’t too keen to see this, but there wasn’t anything else on and I have to admit it was pretty cool to see him in action. I spent most the set wondering who the guys in his band were, but this was okay. The new songs off his solo CD were generally painful to stand through (I can’t remember the CD being that bad) except for one song about the water. Thankfully, though, included in the set was ‘Nightrain,’ ‘Paradise City,’ ‘Sweet Child o’ Mine’ and ‘Rocket Queen.’ Easily the highlights, and because the vocalist was hitting Axl notes all over the joint it made it even better. A mixed set, but worth seeing at the end of the day.

30 SECONDS TO MARS ; man was this a vulgar (or should I say sexual?) display of where being a toss can get you. Throughout the day I saw many bands with a few sexy local groupies standing to the side of the stage. That was multiplied by 10 as this band had a group of stunning sluts standing there in waiting to the side of the stage. Each one of them probably ended up on the end of Jared Leto’s knob, and he knew it and wasn’t afraid to flaunt it. To the set, it was kind of annoying. Their set was 10mins longer than most to this point, yet they played about half the songs that most bands did. Because Jared Leto wouldn’t shut the f*ck up and finish a song and get on with it. I know crowd participation is good, but when your set consists of 50% crowd participation and f*cking around and 50% actual music, it’s pretty irritating. I couldn’t identify the first song, but they mostly played good tunes off ‘This is war.’ Another thing was his vocals during the verses were barely audible and only became present for the chorus. Don’t get me wrong, I got enough enjoyment out of the set, but I see what Tim (2) refers too, that Jared Leto is a bit too much. I could never pay a full concert ticket price just to see these guys, knowing what I know now.

SILVERSTEIN ; exactly what I need to see after the toss parade that was 30 Seconds To Mars. These guys never disappoint and definitely didn’t on the day. Tight as hell, hard and heavy set. One of the heaviest bands I saw on the day, they just sound so awesome. Killer set list, killer performance… down to earth guys. One of the best sets of the day for sure.

MAD CADDIES ; I should make it clear that I did NOT purposely see these guys. There was a 20 minute gap between Silverstein and The Maine with no band worth seeing anywhere. As the stages were close together and I was too spent to walk anywhere I didn’t need to, I just strolled around for a bit of food close by, took a few photos of the grounds and the setting sun, got a beer… but I could not escape the torture these guys were offering. Probably the most painful live music I have ever heard. These guys are a ska band, with two trumpeters… it was sheer and utter hell. Worst ever.

THE MAINE ; probably the surprise set of the day. These guys have some really great songs in their discography, especially from the last CD. But they do have a few fillers on their full length debut. Thankfully, their set list was absolutely awesome and they only played their best, catchiest and most enjoyable numbers. Another very personable frontman who brought a few lolz and was one of my favourite dudes of the day. Great set, great guys and a great performance.

THE BLACKOUT ; wowser these guys were energetic. Tight as hell too. Not sure what they were doing on the stage which held mostly lighter bands all day, as these guys have some bollocks. They played about 2-3 songs off their debut which I have never heard (but I really need to – the ballad was sensational) and one new song off their album, ‘Hope,’ due on the 4th of April. And the rest was from ‘Best in town.’ The two lead vocalists was odd, but it was a very enjoyable set. Another tiny crowd ( as small as, if not smaller than the crowd for Taking Dawn) but again, it grew admirably… even though I think most of the crowd growing there was there for Mayday Parade.

MAYDAY PARADE ; and this led to the biggest wtf of the day for me. The size of the crowd for Mayday Parade was just f*cking HUGE. Keeping in mind these guys were on one of the smaller stages, and Iron Maiden were playing on the main stage at this point… these guys have never been on radio here and I thought this would be one of the smallest crowds of the day. But gee whiz was it not. It was massive. And they played to it. I was both surprised and pleased to see them concentrate on ‘A lesson in romantics’ rather than their latest CD, which they recorded with the current lead vocalist. They played a few great songs off the last CD, but many more from the brilliant debut. I’d have to say ‘Jersey’ was probably the song of the day for me. One of the best choruses in modern rock, full stop, and therefore easy to translate into a ridiculously killer live track. Great set to end the day/night.

IRON MAIDEN ; these guys had a 2 hour set on in the main stadium so I thought I’d check in before I left. I came in during the end of this rather melodic slower tune. Sounded pretty nice. I was surprised at the crowd, which was probably quite a bit smaller than many other bands that went on earlier in the day. But anyway, they played ‘The evil that men do,’ which I knew from the past, and then ‘Fear of the dark’ which was cool too. I enjoyed those songs but then they went into one of their “gallopers” and I really wanted to beat the exit crowd and lay down in bed, so I bailed, the wife picked me up and that was my day.

Overall I could easily argue that this was probably my favourite Soundwave so far. So many great bands and such a great venue for it. Favourite band of the day, I think, was probably Taking Dawn.

Last night I went to see a Sidewaves show too, which was supposed to be Veara, There for Tomorrow, The Blackout and Sum 41. Call it what you will, but either thankfully or regrettably, Sum 41 had to pull out. So we got a $20 refund yet still got to see the best bands on the bill! Good to meet up with Justin again too. Good night. I guess I’ll include a little summary on them too, as it’s all part of it:

VEARA ; very nice. I’m not sure if they played the full CD (which is only 30mins) or not, but if not they were close. As I was saying to Justin, not every verse is recognisable immediately, but each song does have a pretty great hook / chorus. I really enjoyed this set. Respect to the bass player who was standing up there on a broken leg/foot too.

THERE FOR TOMORROW ; delighted to finally see these guys, even if it could have been a little better if I’m being brutally honest. I just found the vocals a little too low in the mix and they also played about 4 new songs, which all sounded very good, but no one was familiar with them. I was also hoping for a couple of tunes like ‘Backbone’ and ‘Sore winner,’ but it was not to be on the night. I still found them to be a very good band and it was a very good set… just wish I was a little more drawn in by the song selection… and I wish those bloody vocals had been louder too.

THE BLACKOUT ; one of the real impressers of the tour for me. I saw them at Soundwave and many times when I have seen bands at both Soundwave and a Sidewaves show it’s pretty much the same… but they played quite a different set, namely including two of my favourite songs, ‘Top of the world’ and ‘Fire’ from ‘The best in town’ CD. Two songs I was keen to see live. And they were awesome. Yeah, very good band again. Big thumbs up.

Cool reviews. I'll ahve to send you 30seocnds review to my gf as she is a 30secs fanatic.

I'm heading to Adelaide soundwave on satruday.

Me thinks our band shecdules may be a little different. My schedule looks something like this:

Monster Magnet 1.15-2.00

Murderdolls 3:00-3:45

Slash 4:30-5:20

Social Distortion - 5.20-6:00

Rob Zombie 7:10-8:00

Cool reviews. I'll ahve to send you 30seocnds review to my gf as she is a 30secs fanatic.

I'm heading to Adelaide soundwave on satruday.

Me thinks our band shecdules may be a little different. My schedule looks something like this:

Monster Magnet 1.15-2.00

Murderdolls 3:00-3:45

Slash 4:30-5:20

Social Distortion - 5.20-6:00

Rob Zombie 7:10-8:00

Yeah mate, I hang out a bit on the Soundwave forum this time of year and from what I overheard on the day, a lot of people had a pretty similar impression of 30 Seconds to Mars. When they actually played music it was great - what I'd call a "powerhouse" band... great drummer - but far too much shit inbetween.

Yeah, your line-up is a tad different. :lol: I see you have a few decent spaces of time available there, will be keen to see who you see inbetween those bands.

looks like a great festival there, friend :beerbang:

i saw Slash last year, it's a great concert, probably the singer is Myles Kennedy from Alterbridge ? he has a great voice indeed

i saw Slash last year, it's a great concert, probably the singer is Myles Kennedy from Alterbridge ? he has a great voice indeed

Yeah, I wrote that review on Monday actually, but Justin last night confirmed it was that Myles Kennedy guy. I would never have picked that.

Indeed, it's an incredible festival for those with a soft spot for modern rock. :) Ridiculous line-up each year.

Yeah, I wrote that review on Monday actually, but Justin last night confirmed it was that Myles Kennedy guy. I would never have picked that.

Indeed, it's an incredible festival for those with a soft spot for modern rock. :) Ridiculous line-up each year.

Yes it's Myles and he's been getting great reviews all around for the Slash shows for the GNR, Slash and Velvet Revolver stuff. He's supposed to be the singer on the next Slash solo disc for all of the songs.

when I watch him, that guy's move is also reminds me of Axl's early days, those snakedance, the running, the jumping, don't know if he did the same in OZ but maybe because there are a lot of hungry GNR fans out there when Slash visited us so that's probably explained :)

yeah a great frontman he is!

a bit unlucky for him that his voice on the speakers is swallowed with Slash' guitar sound, well Slash is the headliner, so it's intended that way i guess

Yeah, I've mentioned before I don't think much of Alter Bridge, but credit where it's due, he added some much needed spice to the Slash set.

By the way, Capt. Howdy's thread reminded me, if anyone wants to see some snaps, I uploaded a few to Facebook in a moment of boredom this morning. Check them out here if you're interested:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?fbid=10150115272342162&id=634582161&aid=294251

Taking Dawn in action:

184208_10150115272592162_634582161_6364962_3722954_n.jpg

Slash & co:

188791_10150115274977162_634582161_6365004_2966967_n.jpg

Great review Geoff!! :headbanger:

THE ATARIS ; I didn’t actually know any of the songs they played and the band themselves were pretty bland and lifeless, but the songs for what they were were actually pretty good. I haven’t got anything but their last CD from these guys, but seeing this I’d be interested to hear some other stuff. I thought it was all punk prior to the last CD.

I don't know why, but I always got a soft spot for the Ataris. Check out "So long, Astoria": great, emotional album, which has nothing to do with "punk". They should have a new album out later this year in the same vein.

Best on ground: Rob Zombie

He was sensational. Far better than i expected. He just rocked the place and he seems to have been everyones highlight that i have spoken to.

Runner Up: Social Distortion

Sound was spot on. Great mix of songs. Glad i left Slash early to get a good spot for these guys,\.

Second Runer-Up: Murderdolls

Love these guys so wnet right up in the pit for this one. It was mayhem. Probably not the best palce to watch them from though..

Saw bits of Slash, Dimmu Borgir (wow!!!), 30 Seconds to Mars, Gaslight Anthem, Iron Maiden,

How long gig Dimmu play in Adelaide Lins, cause in Melbourne they played 4 songs than off the stage they went ?

What really cheesed me off was, the faked emos getting into Iron Maiden and saying that Maiden is their favourite band.

:party421:

How long gig Dimmu play in Adelaide Lins, cause in Melbourne they played 4 songs than off the stage they went ?

What really cheesed me off was, the faked emos getting into Iron Maiden and saying that Maiden is their favourite band.

:party421:

I didn't know you went too, mate. Who else did you see?

30 SECONDS TO MARS ; man was this a vulgar (or should I say sexual?) display of where being a toss can get you. Throughout the day I saw many bands with a few sexy local groupies standing to the side of the stage. That was multiplied by 10 as this band had a group of stunning sluts standing there in waiting to the side of the stage. Each one of them probably ended up on the end of Jared Leto’s knob, and he knew it and wasn’t afraid to flaunt it. To the set, it was kind of annoying. Their set was 10mins longer than most to this point, yet they played about half the songs that most bands did. Because Jared Leto wouldn’t shut the f*ck up and finish a song and get on with it. I know crowd participation is good, but when your set consists of 50% crowd participation and f*cking around and 50% actual music, it’s pretty irritating. I couldn’t identify the first song, but they mostly played good tunes off ‘This is war.’ Another thing was his vocals during the verses were barely audible and only became present for the chorus. Don’t get me wrong, I got enough enjoyment out of the set, but I see what Tim (2) refers too, that Jared Leto is a bit too much. I could never pay a full concert ticket price just to see these guys, knowing what I know now.

Yeah it's all a bit 'showy' for me. I like some crowd interraction but Leto needs to watch Corey Taylor and learn some humility as his ego gets in the way of some killer songs they undoubtedly have. Plus his voice is pretty average so he just plays to his strengths live. Given that he's an actor (loosely) you always get the nagging suspicion that he's just playing at being a rock star and it's all a game...

• 4 weeks later...