2011 in modern rock

Geoff

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have heard Destrophy and I think it fits into hard rock section rather than modern as I recall there's quite similarity to Hardcore Superstar's late albums but it's more melodic, probably closer to Taking Dawn as well ?

pretty neat and nasty release though, love it!

okay have tried Forever The Sickest Kids, i'd say it's quite good, but didn't grab me like Every Avenue did, will try to dig it later, looks promising

currently i'm listening to A Change of Pace - It Could Be Worse, the ballads/slow songs are great, but the uptempo songs/rest are mostly quite decent/average with couple of great tunes, overall a good release i say.

will try Junior Doctor, The Friday Night Boys, and All Time Low tonight :popcorn:

i have heard Destrophy and I think it fits into hard rock section rather than modern as I recall there's quite similarity to Hardcore Superstar's late albums but it's more melodic, probably closer to Taking Dawn as well ?

okay have tried Forever The Sickest Kids, i'd say it's quite good, but didn't grab me like Every Avenue did, will try to dig it later, looks promising

currently i'm listening to A Change of Pace - It Could Be Worse, the ballads/slow songs are great, but the uptempo songs/rest are mostly quite decent/average with couple of great tunes, overall a good release i say.

will try Junior Doctor, The Friday Night Boys, and All Time Low tonight :popcorn:

Yeah, the new Destrophy CD is pretty much hard rock rather than modern... either way it's brilliant. :)

The new Forever the Sickest Kids has grown on me so much. Loved it on first spin anyway, but it gets better with each spin too.

Only one thing you need to know about A Change of Pace is 'Prepare the Masses.' Don't worry about their other CDs (including the new one)... just get 'Prepare the Masses.' It'll blow your mind. ;) Same with Yellowcard's 'Paper Walls' - make sure you own that.

Just heard The Blackout's 'Hope' album again last night. Man, what a killer surprise this one is. Did not know they had something this good in them. Again, it's pretty much a modern melodic hard rock CD... love it. I can officially tie this in with Trust Company, Forever the Sickest Kids and Destrophy as the best 4 CDs I've heard so far this year.

Very happy with the way modern rock is going this year. Better than HH-style melodic rock so far. Very disappointing overall last year - a lot of consistently good CDs, but so few standout tracks. Already some absolutely brilliant discs full of standouts in 2011. :)

okay will try again ACoP 'Prepare The Masses' and The Blackout's 'Hope', sounds tempting! Yellowcard is a bit emo right ? many screaming type like My Chemical Romance or are they more poppier ?

first impression on Houston Calls - The End of An Error, most songs started with quite a patchy/decent verse but then the harmonic and the chorus is heaven, looks like they're really good in making a brilliant choruses. I'll say this is another great album with couple of fillers, but if only the verse is stronger, could be greater than this. Is this their best album or have they done better?

got a sneak peek on The Friday Night Boys - Off The Deep End (brilliant cover :christmas: ), but the bitrate is too low, but I can catch a lot of great tracks. I see this more of a powerpop type ? maybe closer to The Click Five type, and several electronic elements are there, but man this is catchy, love it, especially tracks like "Permanent Heartbreak", "Can't Take That Away", and "How I Met Your Mother". How good is the other album ?

i'm wondering, are there any sites that sell this modern discs for a cheap price ?

gotta give Junior Doctor a spin today later :popcorn:

oh and i just remember, upon hearing several albums like this, i remember myself hearing Green Day - Dookie for the first time in 93-94, because i kinda hate when grunge take over the world and every guitar were downtuned and gone is the major 80s melodic hooks, and still lookin' for something melodic, then i found them playin' "Basket Case" on MTV. Well, this band is probably the major pioneer of this pop punk movement, am i rite ? Blink 182 is also similar but maybe they arrived later than GD

okay will try again ACoP 'Prepare The Masses' and The Blackout's 'Hope', sounds tempting! Yellowcard is a bit emo right ? many screaming type like My Chemical Romance or are they more poppier ?

first impression on Houston Calls - The End of An Error, most songs started with quite a patchy/decent verse but then the harmonic and the chorus is heaven, looks like they're really good in making a brilliant choruses. I'll say this is another great album with couple of fillers, but if only the verse is stronger, could be greater than this. Is this their best album or have they done better?

got a sneak peek on The Friday Night Boys - Off The Deep End (brilliant cover :christmas: ), but the bitrate is too low, but I can catch a lot of great tracks. I see this more of a powerpop type ? maybe closer to The Click Five type, and several electronic elements are there, but man this is catchy, love it, especially tracks like "Permanent Heartbreak", "Can't Take That Away", and "How I Met Your Mother". How good is the other album ?

i'm wondering, are there any sites that sell this modern discs for a cheap price ?

gotta give Junior Doctor a spin today later :popcorn:

oh and i just remember, upon hearing several albums like this, i remember myself hearing Green Day - Dookie for the first time in 93-94, because i kinda hate when grunge take over the world and every guitar were downtuned and gone is the major 80s melodic hooks, and still lookin' for something melodic, then i found them playin' "Basket Case" on MTV. Well, this band is probably the major pioneer of this pop punk movement, am i rite ? Blink 182 is also similar but maybe they arrived later than GD

Nah mate, nothing emo about Yellowcard. They have a few good albums ('Ocean Avenue,' 'Light and Sounds' and the new one) but 'Paper Walls' is pure brilliance. Strictly that melodic pop punk kind of style you like. Not even a hint of screaming in Yellowcard, ever.

Oh wow mate, have you laid a platform for yourself!!! If you think the 2nd Houston Calls CD is great (and it is!) wait till you hear their first one, 'A collection of short stories.' That one has choruses that will plain and simply blow your mind if you already like 'End of an error' that much. If you like this style, the two MAYDAY PARADE CDs are utterly essential too. Man can they write a chorus hook. :)

Friday Night Boys - yeah, call them whatever you want, powerpop could be right, but as you say, they're just great, super catchy songs. The new CD and 'Off the deep end' seem equally good to me. Both essential.

You want a site for all your modern needs? Secondspin. You will never look anywhere else again. I have got 90% of my entire modern rock collection from there.

Honestly mate, I'd rather listen to my own castration than Green Day or even Blink 182. My favourite band - Cauterize - list Green Day as their biggest influence, though, so maybe they had a hand in it all. But I personally hate them. :)

crap, looks like secondspin ain't shipping nothing to Indonesia! what the hell is wrong with those guys, and they don't accept PayPal, weird :popcorn:

tried Blackout's 'Hope' yesterday, but after a quick glance on the first three tracks, i stop there, looks like a screamo/hardcore type, so i'll drop it, probably will revisit it again later

also have tried 'Prepare For The Masses', quite stunning, i agree this one is better than the newer one :party421:

Yellowcard "Paper Walls" is also a good one, but not superbly great IMHO, quite good and plain in my first spin, but interested to explore more and again later. As I remember, they're quite a famous band here.

Houston Calls 'A Collection' is also nice, but not really sure is it better than 'Error' as I recall 'Error' has better choruses but decent verses, while 'A Collection' is more balance. Both are awesome albums I guess :)

yesterday i also tried out Every Avenue "Shh Just Go With It", pretty good as well, but looks like "Picture Perfect" is far better, what do you think ?

i'm excited they're going to release a new one this year :party421:

and is 'Cauterize' also a pop/punk type ? which album is their best ?

Hey mate, before I get stuck into the reply, I'm missed one of the most essential ones of all - Boys Like Girls - 'Love Drunk.' That album is an absolute MUST!

Now:

Yeah, I think The Blackout do start heavy on the new CD. Their last one, 'The best in town,' was quite heavy throughout. But stick around, mate, the second half is pretty much pure melodic modern rock. Some real surprising songs on it. A few ballads and mid-tempo tunes to lighten the mood. Admittedly, if you don't like the heavier stuff you probably wouldn't like the band as a whole, but maybe a few singles to put on your Ipod or something?

'Prepare The Masses' along with BLG's 'Love Drunk' are imo two of the best modern rock discs I have ever heard in my life.

Just wait till that Houston Calls debut grows on you a bit... I'm sure you'll prefer the debut. Stuff like 'Amtrak Is for Lovers' is pretty much as good as modern rock gets for me.

That Yellowcard disc was instant as heck for me, but did grow with every single spin. :)

I'm not a big fan of Every Avenue's debut, but I think 'Picture Perfect' is brilliant.

Did you try Mayday Parade yet - 'A lesson in Romantics' and 'Anywhere but here.'

Ah, Cauterize. Rather than start another rant from me, just search the band's name on the forum, in thread titles. I'm sure I've made about 5 threads on these guys. :lol: Their debut 'So far from real' is flawless for me, but 'Disguises' and/or 'Paper Wings' ('Disguises' in the re-release with 4 new/different songs) are both excellent too. Many first timers have an issue with Cauterize's vocalist, so it may put you off too? For me they were just amazing, though.

i'll try to give Blackout another spin, I actually like heavier music, that's why i dig many classic metal, but there's something wrong in modern metal such as hardcore/metalcore/nu thrash or sort of thing that i don't like, but it's hard to describe what :D

just check out Boys Like Girls, and you're right, that's absolutely fantastic, like a lighter version of Reckless Love, and just found out that the ballad, "Two Is Better Than One" is also performed duet with that hottie Taylor Swift.

i came across the acoustic version on the youtube, man that's beautiful song, the falsetto thing is brilliant. Some songs that I like in first spin are 'Love Drunk', 'Contagious', and 'The First One'. will buy this one for sure!

right now i'm listening to Cauterize's debut. As far as I can tell, this is also a solid one, somehow i guess this is modern melodic rock with some obvious punky rhythm, overall many great songs. Will check out their newer releases :popcorn:

i forgot to check on Mayday Parade, will do tonight and let you know what I think.

Yeah, the new Destrophy CD is pretty much hard rock rather than modern... either way it's brilliant. :)

Very happy with the way modern rock is going this year. Better than HH-style melodic rock so far. Very disappointing overall last year - a lot of consistently good CDs, but so few standout tracks. Already some absolutely brilliant discs full of standouts in 2011. :)

Yeah Destrophy is defo hard rock through and through....nothing modern in there whatsoever IMO.

Im struggling to agree with that second comment. HH style has been great so far this year, and arguably all the best releases are still to come :-)

What with Farcry, Journey, Night Ranger & Lionville etc all due in the next few weeks and later in the year Work Of Art, Toby Hitchcock (that first sample sounds AWESOME!! Much heavier than I was expecting from him!) etc I think that HH style will trounce modern again just like it did last year. IMO.

Hey Geoff,

Do you know where I can buy these from: both sound really cool.

Chemical Vocation - Write this moment

The Friday Night Boys - Everything you ever wanted: The B-sides

Hey Geoff,

According to their facebook page, the Friday Night Boys B Sides compilation was a digital release exclusive to Itunes only.

Hey Geoff,

According to their facebook page, the Friday Night Boys B Sides compilation was a digital release exclusive to Itunes only.

I think you're actually 3 for 3 with those ones, Justin. 99% sure all three of them are digital only releases. :(

Yeah Destrophy is defo hard rock through and through....nothing modern in there whatsoever IMO.

Im struggling to agree with that second comment. HH style has been great so far this year, and arguably all the best releases are still to come :-)

What with Farcry, Journey, Night Ranger & Lionville etc all due in the next few weeks and later in the year Work Of Art, Toby Hitchcock (that first sample sounds AWESOME!! Much heavier than I was expecting from him!) etc I think that HH style will trounce modern again just like it did last year. IMO.

Yeah mate, I think that's where HH styled stuff is failing. It keeps ticking over to the best is still to come. Then it comes and it's not quite as good as anticipated so it's onto the next hopeful release. Don't get me wrong, I love Miss Behaviour so far, and add to that the Bad Habit CD and you have two stand-outs. Make it three, with Wicked Jester. Otherwise, you have Hell In The Club, The Poodles, Dynazty, Beautiful Beast which have all released very solid discs, followed by stuff like Myland, Pompei Nights, Elevener, Blackrain, Eden's Curse and Within Temptation who have all released a great CD this year. A lot of very good stuff, but nothing that's really gripping my balls till they burst. And after these ones there's not too much really great stuff.

With modern rock, Trust Company, Forever the Sickest Kids, Destrophy (I'll leave it here for now), The Blackout, The Friday Night Boys and Junior Doctor have all delighted me with magnificent CDs. And further down the list, I have about 40 modern rock albums from this year that I think are really great. It's been a very good year so far.

finally got BLG disc yesterday, i can't believe it was released locally here for just around Rp75k (AUS$8.5), quite good deal.

i revisited FTSK yesterday, and you're right, it gets better after second spin.

but when I tried The Blackout again, i think that didn't work out for me.

checked out Mayday Parade 2007 release, while it's good, the latter one (2009 release), forgot the title, is much better IMHO. checked out Junior Doctor 'Clumsy' album as well, very nice one, but too bubblegum / pop sounding i must say, still a nice release.

i don't know that Friday Night Boys have new album ? i thought 2009 is their latest one, are there anything new from their camp ?

Yeah mate, I think that's where HH styled stuff is failing. It keeps ticking over to the best is still to come. Then it comes and it's not quite as good as anticipated so it's onto the next hopeful release. Don't get me wrong, I love Miss Behaviour so far, and add to that the Bad Habit CD and you have two stand-outs. Make it three, with Wicked Jester. Otherwise, you have Hell In The Club, The Poodles, Dynazty, Beautiful Beast which have all released very solid discs, followed by stuff like Myland, Pompei Nights, Elevener, Blackrain, Eden's Curse and Within Temptation who have all released a great CD this year. A lot of very good stuff, but nothing that's really gripping my balls till they burst. And after these ones there's not too much really great stuff.

With modern rock, Trust Company, Forever the Sickest Kids, Destrophy (I'll leave it here for now), The Blackout, The Friday Night Boys and Junior Doctor have all delighted me with magnificent CDs. And further down the list, I have about 40 modern rock albums from this year that I think are really great. It's been a very good year so far.

I don't like that Blackout album much at all. In fact all those heavier modern bands have completely sold-out (Architects, We Are the Ocean, etc) and are now just pop with poor vocals - no wonder they all screamed before, is because they can't sing! Modern Rock is dying on it's arse IMO, and all those bands are now having to change their style - even the mega bands like My Chemical Romance or 30STM have changed direction. Oh, and Destrophy isn't modern rock at all IMO.

I don't like that Blackout album much at all. In fact all those heavier modern bands have completely sold-out (Architects, We Are the Ocean, etc) and are now just pop with poor vocals - no wonder they all screamed before, is because they can't sing! Modern Rock is dying on it's arse IMO, and all those bands are now having to change their style - even the mega bands like My Chemical Romance or 30STM have changed direction. Oh, and Destrophy isn't modern rock at all IMO.

Sorry but virtually every modern rock album ive heard since the beginning of 2010 has been complete bollocks compared to the likes of Skillet, Shinedown, Monty Are I, Nural etc....thats the stuff I crave for again.

Okay, had about 2 second on the forum yesterday... let's try again with a little more time.

Nightrain ; as per what Tim says above, and the thing that really surprised me about the new Blackout CD, is their last album - 'The Best In Town' was really quite heavy. I thought it was/is excellent to be honest. There are a few heavier tracks on the new disc (which are the weaker links, sadly) but what I did not expect was the heap of melodic tunes towards the end of the CD. If you need it to be heavy to be good (*clears throat* uh, Tim) then it won't work for you, but if you're just after good melodic modern rock tunes... the new one might work out for you... at least half the CD anyway. I don't know why their heavier tracks are weaker this time round? :(

Okay, 87th time lucky?

Nightrain ; Yeah, I knew you'd love the BLG album - absolutely fantastic. Love the duet too. Love every single song on it, in fact. Glad you got it nice and cheap. Most discs in this thread should be pretty common. If released on CD. ;)

Cauterize were very melodic, yes. That debut was produced by Murray Diagle from Emerald Rain, and you will notice some trademark Emerald Rain backing vocals on 1 or 2 tracks on the CD. If you love deeply passionate, well written and melodic modern rock, hard to go past Cauterize.

Yeah, FTSK definitely create a ridiculously catchy song. The more I hear their songs (on both CDs and the EP) the more I love them. The appeal of the new CD, though, is that it is more "straight forward rock" than the debut, which had a lot of modern samples and production techniques etc. The new one's just about the song, which are utterly brilliant in many cases.

I had a feeling you would prefer the 2nd Mayday Parade CD. Better vocalist, much more consistent songs. Overall it probably is the better CD, but I am just a sucker for the song-writing on the debut. Sure there are a few fillers, but there are also some of the best modern rock songs I have heard yet, period. Some of those hooks are almost Harem Scarem-esque on that debut. I personally love both albums.

Gotta admit I may have been a bit quick out the gallows on the Junior Doctor one. I still maintain it's a good one, but maybe not as good as I thought and certainly not in the league of the other bands we're discussing here.

The "new" Friday Night Boys CD from this year is a collection of b-sides and demos taken from before they split up. They split up late last year.

Tim ; I agree that modern rock is changing face in many cases, but for me, I'm not sure when getting more melodic turned out to be a bad thing. Good vocalists or not, I like to see them giving it a go and I know I would prefer a great melodic rock song with average lead vocals from The Blackout to one of those by-the-numbers clunkers from a band with a great vocalist like Big Life, for example.

I know you're more happy with the growls and indecipherable lyrics, pointless fast paced and aggressive modern speed metal / hardcore tracks, and to each their own... but that's never done it for me, nor does it cater to what I look for when visiting melodic music sites like this. ;) I liked The Blackout, for instance, as they were on their 'Best in town' CD - heavy but a good ear for melody. But I can't fault them if they want to tone it down a little, all for the sake of becoming more melodic. Same with Destrophy. Try naming one song off their last effort aside from 'Way of the world.' They had some good tunes, but they were totally forgettable. If toning it down a little and introducing more melody results in the 'Cry Havoc' CD I'm all for it. Let other bands be heavy, unmemorable and pointless. ;) There's plenty out there.

Glen ; mate, not sure if it's the music that's changed that much or if it's your personal tastes. I love Monty Are I as much as you, but for me stuff like Skillet, Shinedown and Nural have been lapped countless times in the past 2 years. All good CDs, but there's plenty more coming out. For one, I think the new Trust Company one crushes any of those three. :) Might just be that modern rock has done it's dash with you and you're just not into it as much as you were 2 years ago? :)

Okay, 87th time lucky?

Nightrain

Cauterize were very melodic, yes. That debut was produced by Murray Diagle from Emerald Rain, and you will notice some trademark Emerald Rain backing vocals on 1 or 2 tracks on the CD. If you love deeply passionate, well written and melodic modern rock, hard to go past Cauterize.

Yeah, FTSK definitely create a ridiculously catchy song. The more I hear their songs (on both CDs and the EP) the more I love them. The appeal of the new CD, though, is that it is more "straight forward rock" than the debut, which had a lot of modern samples and production techniques etc. The new one's just about the song, which are utterly brilliant in many cases.

I had a feeling you would prefer the 2nd Mayday Parade CD. Better vocalist, much more consistent songs. Overall it probably is the better CD, but I am just a sucker for the song-writing on the debut. Sure there are a few fillers, but there are also some of the best modern rock songs I have heard yet, period. Some of those hooks are almost Harem Scarem-esque on that debut. I personally love both albums.

Gotta admit I may have been a bit quick out the gallows on the Junior Doctor one. I still maintain it's a good one, but maybe not as good as I thought and certainly not in the league of the other bands we're discussing here.

The "new" Friday Night Boys CD from this year is a collection of b-sides and demos taken from before they split up. They split up late last year.

too bad for the FNB to split up quickly, hopefully a new band is coming up.

will try Cauterize's newer albums later

Glen ; mate, not sure if it's the music that's changed that much or if it's your personal tastes. I love Monty Are I as much as you, but for me stuff like Skillet, Shinedown and Nural have been lapped countless times in the past 2 years. All good CDs, but there's plenty more coming out. For one, I think the new Trust Company one crushes any of those three. :) Might just be that modern rock has done it's dash with you and you're just not into it as much as you were 2 years ago? :)

Not sure if its 'done its dash'. The kiddie rocker sound that some of these albums have certainly has, But I really like that Madam Adam disc for example. Definitely going off the part screamo songs, gotta be clean vox all the way now or it just doesnt cut.

I dunno, its just when I play a modern disc these days and then for example put on the new Dynazty or Edens Curse or the like there is just no comparison. Maybe I am moving on................

Sorry but virtually every modern rock album ive heard since the beginning of 2010 has been complete bollocks compared to the likes of Skillet, Shinedown, Monty Are I, Nural etc....thats the stuff I crave for again.

That's pretty harsh, but I do agree to an extent. I didn't get the Monty Are I thing at all but the others were killer and I haven't heard anything since that's been remotely as good. Perhaps the new ALL TIME LOW will be a killer one, or they'll be another YOUNG GUNS disc like the first, but otherwise I don't see where a great disc will come from. The Destrophy sure 'aint it, and neither is The Blackout's fairly dull newie...