2011 in modern rock

Geoff

Sorry but virtually every modern rock album ive heard since the beginning of 2010 has been complete bollocks compared to the likes of Skillet, Shinedown, Monty Are I, Nural etc....thats the stuff I crave for again.

That's pretty harsh, but I do agree to an extent. I didn't get the Monty Are I thing at all but the others were killer and I haven't heard anything since that's been remotely as good. Perhaps the new ALL TIME LOW will be a killer one, or they'll be another YOUNG GUNS disc like the first, but otherwise I don't see where a great disc will come from. The Destrophy sure 'aint it, and neither is The Blackout's fairly dull newie...

The samples of the new Adelitas Way album due around June 10th sound pretty great actually so I have high hopes for that one :-)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry but virtually every modern rock album ive heard since the beginning of 2010 has been complete bollocks compared to the likes of Skillet, Shinedown, Monty Are I, Nural etc....thats the stuff I crave for again.

That's pretty harsh, but I do agree to an extent. I didn't get the Monty Are I thing at all but the others were killer and I haven't heard anything since that's been remotely as good. Perhaps the new ALL TIME LOW will be a killer one, or they'll be another YOUNG GUNS disc like the first, but otherwise I don't see where a great disc will come from. The Destrophy sure 'aint it, and neither is The Blackout's fairly dull newie...

The samples of the new Adelitas Way album due around June 10th sound pretty great actually so I have high hopes for that one :-)

Weren't you guys Simple Plan groupie sluts too? That one is due quite soon, should be a good 'un.

Looking forward to All Time Low and Adelitas Way too.

On the subject, I wonder what the heck happened to Monty Are I. No updates anywhere on the net at all. I wonder if they split?

I'd love to put you under for a while, Tim, and dissect that brain of yours. ;) Sometimes you choose the most random CD to make a point of. Totally to each their own, but that Young Guns CD ended up at 34 on my modern rock list last year. It's a strong album, especially if you like Lostprophets copycats ( ;) ) but for me it was just one of the pack last year ; pretty mid-range. I'm just surprised it stood out so much for you, I guess, when you're generally so hard to please. I liked you better when you were praising something more worthy of praise, like the brilliant Kids In Glass Houses - 'Dirt.'

okay i missed this band :

Skillet

Shinedown

Monty Are I

Nural

which are their best album to have ? :popcorn:

Skillet - 'Comatose' and 'Awake'

Shinedown - 'The sound of madness'

Monty Are I - 'Wall of people' and ESPECIALLY 'Break through the silence'

Nural - it's download only, but 'Entitlement' is a good one.

See if you can find my top 10-20 lists from the last few years, mate. There will be countless great recommendations in those lists. :)

• 1 month later...

A couple of releases that recently snuck up on me:

We The Kings - 'Sunshine State of Mind' ; hmmm, not too sure what they were thinking with this one. I've really enjoyed both their first two albums - good solid pop rock. On the last album there was one filler, with a really unpleasant fluffy verse. Well, unfortunately, although the band has kept their choruses in tact, they seem to have thought these day, ugly and fluffy verses were the way to go into the future. Because what we have here is really quite a good collection of hooks and choruses, but the vereses - for the most part - suck. They really do. There's a few typical WTK start to end gems on here, but a lot of bad decisions in verses. Still worth checking out if you liked them before... just a shame about those verses.

There for tomorrow - 'The verge' ; if you liked them before, you'll still like them. Good consistent CD which I can't wait to hear more of.

We The Kings - 'Sunshine State of Mind' ; hmmm, not too sure what they were thinking with this one. I've really enjoyed both their first two albums - good solid pop rock. On the last album there was one filler, with a really unpleasant fluffy verse. Well, unfortunately, although the band has kept their choruses in tact, they seem to have thought these day, ugly and fluffy verses were the way to go into the future. Because what we have here is really quite a good collection of hooks and choruses, but the vereses - for the most part - suck. They really do. There's a few typical WTK start to end gems on here, but a lot of bad decisions in verses. Still worth checking out if you liked them before... just a shame about those verses.

There for tomorrow - 'The verge' ; if you liked them before, you'll still like them. Good consistent CD which I can't wait to hear more of.

I picked up that new There for Tomorrow disc as well and yeah I thought it was pretty good. I'll probably give We the Kings new disc a go as well but only when I can pick up a cheap copy. Yesterday in the mail I got Go Radio - Lucky Street and All Time Low - Dirty Work as well - playing them now.

I picked up that new There for Tomorrow disc as well and yeah I thought it was pretty good. I'll probably give We the Kings new disc a go as well but only when I can pick up a cheap copy. Yesterday in the mail I got Go Radio - Lucky Street and All Time Low - Dirty Work as well - playing them now.

Two good discs, mate. Yeah, the WTK disc was a little disappointing to be honest, but still worth getting if you liked them before.

okay i missed this band :

Skillet

Shinedown

Monty Are I

Nural

which are their best album to have ? :popcorn:

Skillet - 'Comatose' and 'Awake'

Shinedown - 'The sound of madness'

Monty Are I - 'Wall of people' and ESPECIALLY 'Break through the silence'

Nural - it's download only, but 'Entitlement' is a good one.

See if you can find my top 10-20 lists from the last few years, mate. There will be countless great recommendations in those lists. :)

Oh my god - u definitely need those 2 Skillet albums - 2 of the best 'modern' albums I've heard.